Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
@Markymark29
To enter the Netherlands you need to be double vaccinated.

radar wrote:
@Markymark29, As @munich_irish, has mentioned there have been challenges, the way I understand the rules, the 12 hour transit doesn’t apply if you arrive by ferry, everyone over 12 will need to be double vaccinated and you will need a negative covid test to enter.

We are outside the EU and (very)high risk

https://www.government.nl/topics/coronavirus-covid-19/visiting-the-netherlands-from-abroad/checklist-entry/from-outside-the-eu

Transit rules
https://www.government.nl/topics/coronavirus-covid-19/visiting-the-netherlands-from-abroad/checklist-transit-or-short-stay
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Markymark29, 1) yes no problem. You are not staying in Germany (otherwise you would need the passenger locator form filled in for Germany) and going straight to Austria so the pair of you double jabbed is fine. Having the booster a few weeks ago made no difference for me it’s the double vaccination on your NHS app that counts. Take paper copies as well as having it in your Apple Wallet or whatever.
2) don’t know exactly as I didn’t enter France but even if you do need a ‘before travel’ test it’s easy a friend has done it twice this season already for going to Cervinia (Italy needs test before departure) we both used C19testing.co.uk, his latest one for Cervinia came through within 2.5 hours.
3) don’t know but there seems to be an obvious take up of vaccinations from what people said above who live here.
My advice is get out here at Christmas and enjoy it! Conditions in Hintertux are fantastic!
I am glad I travel alone mind I wouldn’t want to be bothering with big travel parties but you and one other-no problem!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for replies, so we’ll go via Eurotunnel not NL. I’ve got a load of vouchers so I’ll dig those out.

Ah yes Insurance - i clearly need to look into that now……I’m assuming our EHIC is no longer valid.

The place we were looking at has just gone….need to find some accommodation now too…..thanks all
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Markymark29, it is no more complicated than before assuming fully vaccinated adults. As you know the Rotterdam ferry thing was an issue a few months back (I think the Dutch still want a pre arrival test), not sure now, though Calais no issue. No checks or forms needed to drive around in Schengen. The only country I know off that requires a form just for transit is Switzerland definitely not Germany, the French seem concerned about "honour" Smile. The political view in both Austria and Germany (and other places) can be summed up by "this is a pandemic of the unvaccinated" which means that there are few, if any, restrictions on those who are fully vaccinated and that is unlikely to change. The most important thing is to make sure you have an app (with paper back up) proving your status. Either the French or German ones are easier to use than the NHS one, both now accept UK certs, and are accepted EU/Switzerland wide. The booster thing is not currently relevant but will become so in the future, I dont believe any certification for that is currently available. Who knows what will be happening next week but currently the UK looks less of a "plague island" in comparison with what is going on in parts of Austria and also here in southern Bavaria (though oddly Munich is an oasis of calm in comparison with the surrounding rural districts).

PS yes EHIC still valid, I believe if it runs out you apply for a new one with a Union Jack on it Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chris_n wrote:
@Markymark29,
1.Yes you are ok to enter Austria
2.No idea, P&O website should tell you if not call them.
3. Tirol at least isn't anywhere near as bad as further East, don't know situation in Voralberg.
4. Austrian government are adamant they are not locking down vaccinated and want the winter season to go ahead.
@RedandWhiteFlachau, beat me to it snowHead

As far as I understand, boosters don't show up on the NHS COVID pass, so is there an issue if first 2 jabs were more than 270 days ago?
(Best option for all foreign travel from the UK is to look at the info on the FCDO website).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sugarmoma666 wrote:
Chris_n wrote:
@Markymark29,
1.Yes you are ok to enter Austria
2.No idea, P&O website should tell you if not call them.
3. Tirol at least isn't anywhere near as bad as further East, don't know situation in Voralberg.
4. Austrian government are adamant they are not locking down vaccinated and want the winter season to go ahead.
@RedandWhiteFlachau, beat me to it snowHead

As far as I understand, boosters don't show up on the NHS COVID pass, so is there an issue if first 2 jabs were more than 270 days ago?
(Best option for all foreign travel from the UK is to look at the info on the FCDO website).

If you have a booster and can get some form of certification in English or German that fulfils the Austrian requirements, yes a QR code is easier but not vital. FCDO website is often out of date / incomplete, best place for info is the government website of the country you are wanting to visit.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@sugarmoma666, You can ask your GP practice for a print out of your vaccination records. This will show everything you've had including your 3 COVID inncoulations. They are legally obliged to give you your patient records if you request it. Hopefully the COVID pass will be updated shortly but no substitute for paper records.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Slightly odd question but are FFP3 masks a suitable substitute for FFP2 on planes/airports going into Austria? I have various proper stamped FFP3 masks via work here and was going to take one to at least enter Austria when I go in Jan and then buy FFP2 ones there as required. I can't find anything which specifically mentions FFP3 but since they are a better standard than FFP2, logically they should be OK...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@DrNo, the FFP3 masks with valves are not permitted.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Mankei, Thanks, I had read that, I don't mean the valved ones, one like this

https://www.3m.co.uk/3M/en_GB/p/d/v000125642/
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Markymark29, if your EHIC card was issued before Dec 2020 you can continue to use it as before until it runs out. You can apply for a new EHIC up to 6 months before yours expires. If it’s already expired since you last went away then there’s the GHIC instead.
For my travel insurance I usually use MPI but I went with the BMC this year as it covers all my other stuff as well that I’ve started doing and it was reasonable for an annual policy covering off piste with or without a guide.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@DrNo, I have seen people wearing those type when FFP2 has been needed in Bavaria (again from yesterday) they seem to have been accepted with no issue. You are only likely to get grief if you are using cloth or "medical" type ones.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
They asked for my proof of vaccination to enter the restaurant in Hintertux at lunchtime then stamped my hand to show I’d been checked. My QR didn’t scan on the pass in the Apple Wallet but I think it was her machine not focusing on it properly
She was happy with it saying dose 2 of 2 so it was fine.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
From the Süddeutsche this morning

Quote:
Austria: 2G to apply until 2022

In Austria, in view of record high new infections, the just tightened Corona measures will probably apply beyond Christmas and the turn of the year. Chancellor Alexander Schallenberg does not assume that the situation is such that the measures can be withdrawn again. "So it will probably be a 2-G Christmas," he told the Kronen Zeitung. Vice-Chancellor Werner Kogler added: "Most likely we will still have 2G at Christmas and New Year's Eve."

Austria is currently recording new infections of almost 10 000 a day and responded to this only a few days ago by announcing a nationwide 2G requirement. From Monday onwards, only vaccinated and recovered people will be allowed to visit restaurants, hotels, cultural institutions and sports facilities - even the ski lifts in the winter sports country will be reserved for them.

After the announcement of the measure on Friday, the waiting time in Vienna's largest vaccination centre rose to one and a half hours. In Salzburger Land, almost 1400 people spontaneously got a shot without an appointment on Saturday - in the weeks before, there had only been 2000 per week. In other regions, such as Vorarlberg, the rush was also great.

About one third of Austrians are still not immunised, and the low vaccination rate is considered the main reason why Austria's hospitals and their intensive care units had to treat more and more Covid patients last week. (7.11.2021)

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/politik/corona-aktuell-ampel-rot-bayern-baden-wuerttemberg-hoechste-warnstufe-2g-1.5454006
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@munich_irish, 1400 in one day compared to 2000 in a week is an incredible difference so the plan seems to be working. It will take a while for them to get the second jab though as there’s 3 months in between the first and the second isn’t there?

No one is policing the masks on lifts at the moment there’s just the signs telling you to do it and to be fair everyone is doing it in the gondolas, on the only chair I’ve been on so far I was the only one wearing it out of 6 but that may be because the cover was up.
ski holidays
@VolklAttivaS5, was 6 weeks for me, I think they have reduced it to 4 weeks now. If I remember correctly the regulation says more than 21(edit 14) days after the initial injection.
How is Hintertux? Think I'm heading over there on Thursday.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 7-11-21 16:09; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@Markymark29, if your EHIC card was issued before Dec 2020 you can continue to use it as before until it runs out. You can apply for a new EHIC up to 6 months before yours expires. If it’s already expired since you last went away then there’s the GHIC instead.
For my travel insurance I usually use MPI but I went with the BMC this year as it covers all my other stuff as well that I’ve started doing and it was reasonable for an annual policy covering off piste with or without a guide.

Unfortuately it is likely to be a GHIC irrespective; I applied for my renewal before the expiry of my EHIC on the EHIC website at the end of last December and in January a GHIC came through, complete with the special feature of no cover for Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein...
snow report
ptex wrote:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

Unfortuately it is likely to be a GHIC irrespective; I applied for my renewal before the expiry of my EHIC on the EHIC website at the end of last December and in January a GHIC came through, complete with the special feature of no cover for Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein...

I think the cover is the same regardless of whether you're using an EHIC or GHIC card. Even if you're still using an old EHIC, I don't think it works in Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein. It looks like there is some cover either way in Switzerland: https://www.gov.uk/global-health-insurance-card
snow conditions
@ptex, thanks for the prompt, just renewed ours, Switzerland is included. Travel insurance takes care of the others

Edit:

Just got the confirmation of my application :

You can use your UK GHIC when visiting any country in the EU and Switzerland. It will provide you with access to medically necessary, state-funded healthcare at the same rate as a resident of that country.

Healthcare cover in Switzerland

Your card only covers you for healthcare in Switzerland if you’re:

a UK national
a Swiss national
a national of an EU country
a stateless person or refugee
a family member of someone who holds one of these nationalities or statuses.
You may be asked for proof of nationality or status when accessing healthcare in Switzerland.
snow conditions
The GHICs application is quite straightforward, and ours came back in under a week when I applied last month. Word of warning - You have to include under sixteens as part of an adult application, there doesn’t seem to be a way to apply for theirs separately. I found this out when I (ahem) forgot one of my children. There is a Facebook page though that you can use to message them, and they are quite responsive - though. I’m still waiting for them to manually add my daughters application four weeks later.
ski holidays
Does anyone know the deal regarding proving your third booster dose for entry to Austria. The NHS app policy is only to show the first 2. My 2nd Pfizer was Feb 21 so travel in late Feb 22 is well outside the 270 day requirement.
I've had 3x Pfizer jabs, the most recent being 11/10/21. I can print a pdf page from my online GP access to prove the 3rd one but it's not on the app.
I wonder if this will get sorted when someone powerful (in government etc) gets affected by this, or the fact their teens aren't 2nd jabbed like the European kids!!!
snow conditions
@Kllew26, the app will get sorted. They like skiing too!
latest report
@Kllew26, there has been discussion of this on other threads. As I understand it the UK is not currently issuing certificates for 3rd jabs but it is under "consideration". You will need an official certificate of some description, scanning a QR code is increasingly the accepted method of checking certificates.
snow report
Can you link the discussion?
ski holidays
Listening to the two experts on BBC Breakfast yesterday (Sat), I’m sure one said they are in the process of sorting out the app to show the record of the booster. I can’t find it on iplayer sadly to double check but it was definitely raised as a question. It shows they are aware though so hopefully won’t be too long before it’s there.
snow report
@Chuckles3, I’ve heard that too, seems logical (although that appears to count for little these days).

Hoping a plan comes together - just waiting for 3no replies re accommodation sent early today and then might see some snow this year!

Thanks again all for thoughts above. Appreciate the local input/ viewpoint.
latest report
Markymark29 wrote:
Thanks for replies, so we’ll go via Eurotunnel not NL. I’ve got a load of vouchers so I’ll dig those out.

Ah yes Insurance - i clearly need to look into that now……I’m assuming our EHIC is no longer valid.

The place we were looking at has just gone….need to find some accommodation now too…..thanks all

EHIC is valid until it runs out and there is then a replacement GHIC (of course it’s basically a flag with text on. Pathetic)

But you should never rely solely on EHIC (or GHIC) especially on a skiing holiday.
snow conditions
For anyone heading to Stubai soon, they’ve just posted an update about their implementation of the regs:
2G in restaurants from 8/11 (as per new regs announced on Friday)
2G on lifts from 15/11

It doesn’t say how they will be implementing it on lifts – probably at the Kassa. No info on how/if this will apply to season ticket holders. Under 12s are exempt. Info here: https://www.stubaier-gletscher.com/en/stubai-live/news/detail/current-information/

If anyone feels like they want insight into the psyche of Austrian anti vaxxers, read the comments on the corresponding FB post rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Scarlet, re season pass holders, it's actually really simple: disable all season passes from Sunday. The pass holders then have to go to the Kassa and if they provide a proof of vaccination the pass is reactivated. I worry that the 9 month from second dose might be too long, and that it should have been 6 months (I guess that they're trying not to make it too hard for the Germans)
snow report
sugardaddy wrote:
re season pass holders, it's actually really simple: disable all season passes from Sunday. The pass holders then have to go to the Kassa and if they provide a proof of vaccination the pass is reactivated.

Is that speculation or something you’ve seen confirmed? If tickets are universally disabled, what about the places you can use then where you don’t need a pass?

Quote:
I worry that the 9 month from second dose might be too long, and that it should have been 6 months (I guess that they're trying not to make it too hard for the Germans)

Yeah but then everyone should have to have their booster before 6 months in order to retain entitlement, and you can’t actually get one until after 6 months except in exceptional circumstances. It’s not just the Germans that would scupper, but the whole Austrian population.
snow conditions
The situation in Germany is that booster vaccinations are currently only available to the over 70s and a few other categories. I dont think that is really the demographic the Austrian tourist industry is after. The government would like to make them universally available but the medical profession is strenuously objecting. Perhaps a bigger issue is getting more folk to have their first jab not their third!
snow report
@Scarlet, I looked at the FB post for Stubai. Yes there are a lot that say they just won’t go skiing then if they have to be vaccinated and won’t go there ever again either. It reminded me of the Canadian resort FB pages I’ve seen, a lot say that kind of thing on those too.
snow report
@Scarlet, quote from my local area web page with regard to season ticket sales
Quote:
The 3G certificate is checked when the ski pass is purchased and is unlocked for the period of validity of the respective certificate. For example, if you provide a PCR test when purchasing a season pass, you may be handed a season pass, but it may only be unlocked for a maximum of 72 hours after the test has been taken. After that, you need to provide a new 3G certificate to continue using the season ticket.
snow report
@Chris_n, hmm maybe the ticket co. will put out a similar message. I have already purchased and used it, so it has been “unlocked”, but if it was then locked, in theory I wouldn’t be able to use it on public transport either, and that will definitely cause problems.
ski holidays
@Scarlet, similar sentiments have been expressed elsewhere (eg Italy & France) but have turned out to be a very small vociferous minority. We were having a discussion with the waitress in our local pub the other night. She is adamant she wont have a jab but is very upset she cant go to the gym (its now 2G) and will shortly have to pay to go to work (she will have to pay for 2 PCR tests per week) which could well mean the pub shuts down Sad as it would cost her money to go to work!
latest report
@munich_irish, I thought as much. I suspect they can stay at home and no one will notice because there are enough vaccinated tourists elsewhere who missed out last year and want to make up for it to make up the numbers.

Also, a lot were blaming Stubai (because they’re too thick to understand federal regs?) when it’s only coming from them because they’re one of the early openers and no one else has got their act together yet/doesn’t need to do anything coz they’re not due to open for a month or so.
snow report
munich_irish wrote:
The situation in Germany is that booster vaccinations are currently only available to the over 70s and a few other categories. I dont think that is really the demographic the Austrian tourist industry is after. The government would like to make them universally available but the medical profession is strenuously objecting. Perhaps a bigger issue is getting more folk to have their first jab not their third!

Perhaps but they have set that our green pass will expire on 03/01 because of J&J one shot vaccine, going on holiday with our grown up kids who all have had Pfizer, as we are unable to get a booster in Ireland, we the parents have to cut our holiday short and fly home on 03/01,
ski holidays
radar wrote:
@ptex, thanks for the prompt, just renewed ours, Switzerland is included. Travel insurance takes care of the others

Edit:

Just got the confirmation of my application :

You can use your UK GHIC when visiting any country in the EU and Switzerland. It will provide you with access to medically necessary, state-funded healthcare at the same rate as a resident of that country.

Healthcare cover in Switzerland

Your card only covers you for healthcare in Switzerland if you’re:

a UK national
a Swiss national
a national of an EU country
a stateless person or refugee
a family member of someone who holds one of these nationalities or statuses.
You may be asked for proof of nationality or status when accessing healthcare in Switzerland.

@radar, thanks for the flag about Switzerland. My letter with my GHIC from January says not - seems the agreement was signed end of September this year, thankfully.
ski holidays
@2waterford, it is similar here. I know of a number of people who have got the J&J jab as it was a quick way to be allowed into clubs etc but now are likely to be barred from going skiing unless they sort another jab.
latest report
Just wondering has anyone had a chance to look at the updated rules this morning on the Austrian government website, i can’t see that it specifically mentions J&J expiring on January 3rd, only says expiry date for 2 doses goes from 360 days to 270 days.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy