Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
munich_irish wrote:
Also be aware that both Germany & Austria require FFP2 masks in many situations, you can get away with the basic ones by playing stupid tourist but best get them beforehand if you can, they are sold in every service station & supermarket here.

That rule has been dropped in Austria now, though some businesses can require them (I think they're mostly care homes and hospitals though). Masks (any) are now only required in essential businesses, so supermarkets, pharmacies, petrol stations, banks and public transport etc. There are signs up in other places, but they are routinely ignored by everybody.

geoffers wrote:
Hmm - not all good: just read the small print & vaccine is only valid for 270 days

That also applies to domestic vaccine passes, so is likely to cause a lot of problems over the winter among those not eligible for a booster. As it's an arbitrary date picked out of the sky, I fully expect it to be extended as the 9 month period comes up for early vaccinees.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
From today:

With the third amendment to the entry regulations of the Federal Ministry for Social Affairs, Health, Care and Consumer Protection coming into force on 15 August 2021, the United Kingdom is no longer considered a virus variant area. Austria has removed the general entry ban for travellers arriving from the United Kingdom. Please note that either proof of vaccination, proof of recovery from COVID-19 or a negative COVID-19 test result must be presented upon entry into Austria. Fully vaccinated people no longer have to self-isolate.

https://www.bmeia.gv.at/en/austrian-embassy-london/travelling-to-austria/coronavirus-covid-19-and-travel-abroad/

edit: already posted I see but will leave it up.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Today we drove from Munich to Tuscany. Left fairly early (just after 6) and went via Achensee. Easy drive even on the usually busy bit between Bözen and Lake Garda. No sign of any checks at all. Stopped at the petrol station just before the autobahn at Jenbach, despite the small sign about wearing masks no one was bothering, quite different to Germany. Only saw one UK registered car during the whole journey.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@munich_irish, We were up at Achensee earlier (unfortunately the storm hit at the exact moment I was about to go for a dip, so we binned it and went home) and in the restaurant it seemed quite strange to suddenly see a load of guests walking around in FFP2 masks. After what you'd said, I figured they must be German tourists, as there were no signs up or anything requesting they should be worn and most people weren't bothering. It made me laugh when one, who had very carefully navigated the whole outdoor terrace in his FFP2 mask, sat down and lit a massive cigar. Priorities Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Scarlet, it is slowly getting less of a thing. In our local pub the mask thing disappears by around 21:30 as it is really pointless in the circumstances but anywhere else it is pretty automatic. Same here in Italy from what I have seen so far. Achensee was very beautiful at 07:30 this morning some thin cloud layers above the lake with the sun highlighting the mountains above.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
So no PCR negative test needed for entry from the UK if you are double vaccinated?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Mr.Egg, nope, just proof of full vaccination. This is the same for stuff you may want to access (restaurants, pools, events etc.)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Scarlet,

Thanks,
Next question… are mixed vaccines recognised?
I believe they are in Germany (Merkel had AZ & Moderna) - so assume that is an EU wide recognition.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Mr.Egg, I believe so (Austria is pretty liberal on its acceptance of vaccines), but you might want to dig around in official sources for confirmation. It would only be a potential issue at the border – nobody else checks that carefully!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Scarlet wrote:
@Mr.Egg, nope, just proof of full vaccination. This is the same for stuff you may want to access (restaurants, pools, events etc.)

Please forgive my ignorance, but don’t you need a negative test to ‘get on a plane’ ? Or, do you guys mean entry to Austria via land ? TVM
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Timberwolf, What you need to get on a plane is between you and your airline. General rules for entry don't require one, but there may be additional requirements for your mode of transport or other places you transit through.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Timberwolf wrote:
Scarlet wrote:

Please forgive my ignorance, but don’t you need a negative test to ‘get on a plane’ ? Or, do you guys mean entry to Austria via land ? TVM

Just general entry to Austria - for example Spain & Cyprus still need a PCR test to enter, even if double vaccinated.

airline operators also have their own rules - as do airports!
I am hoping the amount of tests required by the winter would have eased off!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scarlet wrote:
@Timberwolf, What you need to get on a plane is between you and your airline. General rules for entry don't require one, but there may be additional requirements for your mode of transport or other places you transit through.

Thank you @Scarlet. I consider myself reasonably savvy, but, I booked some flights for Christmas yesterday, and the requirements seem utterly bewildering Eh oh!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Timberwolf, I wouldn't worry too much about that at this point. If you've had your jabs, that's all you can do. The only thing that's guaranteed is that the rules will change several times by Christmas Confused
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've booked flights for September. Having to go Vienna instead of Salzburg...no direct flights to Salz and I dont want to go via Germany I case of added complications and transit rules.
snow conditions
Will probably book for Oct half term. Praying our uk rate doesn’t rocket when schools go back. Only flights available are via Frankfurt to INN or drive via MUC (painful and border issues could crop up).
snow report
Given the various comments from politicians here it seems that Germany is now committed to ensuring everything stays open for anyone who is fully vaccinated even if rates etc go up. That includes travel. Predicting the future is foolish but worrying about travelling to Austria via Germany is pretty far down the list of concerns. What might be an issue is travelling with unvaccinated kids, Germany (Austria the same I believe but might be wrong) has now decided all 12+ kids can get jabbed so in the not too distant future they could well be included in the travel restrictions.
snow report
@munich_irish, that’s a fair point.
snow report
@munich_irish, thankfully kids not a consideration for me. In and out of Austria only will suit me fine
ski holidays
@munich_irish, yep, you’re right, anyone over 12 can get a jab in Austria too. Currently, unvaxxed under-18s follow the same rules as their parents afaik, but that could change.

Not sure if it will apply to anyone here, but there has been a rule change today which means that the Green Pass only works for people who are “fully vaccinated” now (previously it was 1 jab plus 3 weeks). Fully vaccinated includes people who have had a positive test and one jab (now reflected on the cert itself).
latest report
Matrix wrote:
Will probably book for Oct half term. Praying our uk rate doesn’t rocket when schools go back. Only flights available are via Frankfurt to INN or drive via MUC (painful and border issues could crop up).

We'll know well before the school return, football crowds are now back packed in. This will really test the Covid situation. Hopefully negative, then we can get back to proper normal life and travel.
snow conditions
For anyone crossing between Germany and Austria by road, I believe there are now walk-in testing options on both sides of the border at Kiefersfelden and Kufstein, should you suddenly require a test (fully vaccinated people generally don't but that might be different another day rolling eyes ). Currently they are free. Use your accommodation for the address.
ski holidays
Many people have deleted the app, having less tests (possibly once school children return tests will
increase again?), yet cases are probably increasing again. Hospitalisation rates plateau. I am glad life is getting back to
some normality but they would probably impact winter holidays. Let’s see. If Austria finds it’s vaccine rate ends up protecting its population and tourists alike then perhaps we (uk based people) get some form of winter season.
snow report
I think Currently 12+ Can take a daily test for access to restaurants etc in Austria?

Not all European countries are vaccinating 12+ yet.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/04/which-countries-are-vaccinating-minors-against-covid
snow conditions
@Matrix, vaccines are available to all aged 12+ in Austria. People who choose not to be vaccinated can choose to take tests to enter gastronomy, etc. However, there is some talk that these free tests might soon have a fee, both in Germany and in Austria.
snow conditions
@Mankei, in Germany it has already been announced that the free tests will end on 11.10 unless you have a medical exemption. As in Austria you will need "3G" evidence (ie vaccine or recovered or test) to access many places such as restaurants and the thought is that will change to "2G" (ie dropping tests) later in the autumn. Baden Württemburg has just announced that it is dropping restrictions for vaccinated folk whatever the case numbers in a district, other Länder likely to follow. Germany and its apps recognise UK certificates. I am in Italy at the moment and an EU green pass is needed to access sitting inside a restaurant etc. Noticeable that locals are showing their passes on the way in, tourists a bit more confused.
ski holidays
There are a lot of arguments going on in Austria at the moment as to how restrictions might change in the Autumn. States are pushing federal govt for nationwide rules so that we don't end up with a patchwork of regulations, but there isn't agreement as to how to proceed. Some would prefer more restrictions for unvaccinated folk but others, including the health minister, don't want to create a divide. Austria seems to have topped out at about 60% vaccinated, with the amount of effort for every additional vaccine dose now getting quite high.

Tests will likely remain free for kids as they are aware of the differences in vaccine coverage across nations and won't want to make it too expensive for families to visit. It sounds like they will also remain free for the vaccinated who need them e.g. for returning from Spain.
snow report
Scarlet wrote:
There are a lot of arguments going on in Austria at the moment as to how restrictions might change in the Autumn. States are pushing federal govt for nationwide rules so that we don't end up with a patchwork of regulations, but there isn't agreement as to how to proceed. Some would prefer more restrictions for unvaccinated folk but others, including the health minister, don't want to create a divide. Austria seems to have topped out at about 60% vaccinated, with the amount of effort for every additional vaccine dose now getting quite high.

Tests will likely remain free for kids as they are aware of the differences in vaccine coverage across nations and won't want to make it too expensive for families to visit. It sounds like they will also remain free for the vaccinated who need them e.g. for returning from Spain.

What are the arguments about wanting the skiers back? Are they likely (in your opinion) to blanket restrict us* if cases take off again in UK, or would they be happy on the vaccination status route. (Hope the 270 days is extended, as my Feb holiday is on the cusp

(*the restriction was due to variant of concern I believe, not specifically number of cases - we could have another variant given our track record on cultivating them)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@buchanan101, not heard much tbh, more concerned about keeping their own cases at a manageable level, especially as they won't want issues with Germany like last year, Germany being the largest tourist market, I believe. I certainly haven't heard anything about closing borders to tourists, but then again they weren't planning to do that last year either Confused
ski holidays
Just received this in an email from Visit Austria:
Quote:
Great news! Per 15 August, Austria has removed the United Kingdom from its list of virus variant areas - meaning that fully vaccinated travellers can now enter Austria without having to self-isolate. With Austria on the UK's Green List, double-jabbed Brits are finally able to visit for a holiday - and we cannot wait to welcome you!

With this change, the UK now falls under the "other countries" category. The following rules apply from 18 August:
- Travellers who can show proof of full vaccination do not need to self-isolate and do not need to register for pre-travel clearance.
- Travellers are considered "fully vaccinated" after either receiving two doses of AstraZeneca, BioNtech/Pfizer, Moderna, Sinopharm, or Sinovac or starting on the 22nd day after their one Johnson & Johnson dose. People who have proof of a past infection plus one dose of any vaccine are also considered vaccinated starting on day 22 after their jab.
- As of now, unvaccinated travellers can enter the country, but still need to register and self-isolate for 10 days (test to release after 5 days).
Find all entry regulations here and all current measures in Austria here.
snow report
@buchanan101, the priority is certainly to offer tourism to Austrian and German visitors for the Winter. Whether that also extends to other nations, it's far too early to say, but clearly depends how the fourth wave progresses through the autumn.
snow conditions
Mankei wrote:
@buchanan101, the priority is certainly to offer tourism to Austrian and German visitors for the Winter. Whether that also extends to other nations, it's far too early to say, but clearly depends how the fourth wave progresses through the autumn.

Wonder where UK ranks for visitor numbers to Austria after those two? Netherlands maybe, Swedes possibly not as they have their own skiing and are only 1/6th of UK size..? Russia?

They have the advantage of being EU - although EU countries can be barred (as has happened, obviously), much easier - practically and politically - to ban the UK.
ski holidays
We are 4th in Europe...but do really 1 in 11 of us ski? Seems high...

https://www.statista.com/statistics/801008/europe-number-of-people-skiing-by-country/
latest report
We've got an American fiend out there ATM, but she is a bit worried about getting back home. She has had a covid test out there, but is having trouble getting the certificate downloaded to her American phone (she's a bit of a technophobe). Is there a problem with this or is she just being a bit senior (as well as blonde) ?
snow report
@musher, tell her to follow the link to the pdf, then take a screenshot.
snow conditions
@buchanan101,

This is for total tourism in Austria, so less than half will be winter tourism.
snow report
Blimey - Czechia - makes sense!!

Really surprised - and not surprised as I know they ski big time - by the Dutch

can see why they won't be that bothered - relatively - not to have us, though some resorts - e.g. Obergurgl - will have a disproportionate amount of British

(not sure what the numbers in brackets are - must be change in % terms as Czechia can't have had -3.6million the year before)
snow conditions
@buchanan101, its the percentage change on the previous year. No surprise about the Czechs, lots of Czech number plates can be seen around the various resorts. It is not that long a drive from Prague, maybe only 5 hours to some places. The UK has been declining as a "market" for Austrian inbound tourism for some time, a trend that is likely to continue.
snow conditions
@buchanan101, this is also summer tourism, city breaks to Vienna, Salzburg, etc. The category "andere" would certainly contain Scandinavian winter visitors but likely to be many year-round visitors from Asia (notably China, Japan, Korea and Middle East).
ski holidays
I see that Austria and Germany are now on the UK's green list of countries whereas France, Switzerland and Italy are currently on the amber list. However as far as I can see it makes zero difference to the entry requirements when returning back to the UK - if you are double vaccinated you still need a PCR or lateral flow test in order to return then you need a day 2 PCR test once you're back in the UK? I wonder if there might be some relaxation of test requirements for double vaccinated people returning from green list countries sometime in the near future, one can but hope...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy