Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
@Steilhang, I believe proof of 1 dose + 3 weeks should be enough to get you into Austria, assuming Germany is a green, amber or red state on the EU map thingy from 19th May.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I learned yesterday on receiving my first (and only) dose of Biontech that people who have a PCR-confirmed previous Covid19 infection will only receive one vaccine, then a booster in 8-10 months' time.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mankei wrote:
I learned yesterday on receiving my first (and only) dose of Biontech that people who have a PCR-confirmed previous Covid19 infection will only receive one vaccine, then a booster in 8-10 months' time.

I think I’m right in saying that post second jab, no further tests will be required for 9 months.

There does seem to be some clarity required as to what we, as an accommodation provider, need to do for operating our business once we open. There’s a suggestion that for any guests staying longer than 2 nights, we will need to ensure they submit evidence of further clear tests during their stay and that we may need to provide the tests themselves Confused
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The 7 day current infection rates per 100,000 is now 95.1 across Austria.

Selected others:

Vienna 88.4
Salzburg 83.1
Tyrol 100.4
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Cacciatore,
Quote:

There does seem to be some clarity required as to what we, as an accommodation provider, need to do for operating our business once we open.

Ditto! We have the possibility of guests coming and have no idea what will be required. Hopefully there will be clarification.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Cacciatore, This figures 83.1/ 100.4 seem really high, most of UK regions now in single digits per 100,000.....strange that AT are not getting these down yet.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Markymark29, It's actually coming down pretty rapidly. The corresponding figures just one week earlier were:

Austria 139.2
Vienna 135.1
Salzburg 138.4
Tirol 171.1

Vaccination is now at about 30% (first dose), which is where the UK was 10 weeks ago. Based on that, the numbers are hardly surprising.

Source: https://orf.at/corona/daten/oesterreich
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
tatmanstours wrote:
@Cacciatore,
Quote:

There does seem to be some clarity required as to what we, as an accommodation provider, need to do for operating our business once we open.

Ditto! We have the possibility of guests coming and have no idea what will be required. Hopefully there will be clarification.

tatmanstours, things maybe clearer from apartment operators - one clear test/injection/recovered before entry. No further tests etc. The complications arise where additional services are provided e.g. breakfast (in our case) where guests will possibly encounter one another or/and us. Stays of over 2 nights will then require re-testing to continue their stay. I can imagine what managing that is going to be like rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Scarlet, Great....fingers crossed for August then!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cacciatore wrote:
The 7 day current infection rates per 100,000 is now 95.1 across Austria.

Selected others:

Vienna 88.4
Salzburg 83.1
Tyrol 100.4

...... and the trend continues

Austria at 89.1 today (Wed 12/05/21)
Burgenland now at 47.5
Vorarlberg is the highest at 152.6
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
85.8 in Austria, up until yesterday.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the figures next week. Given the lifting of lockdown for gastronomy and accommodation and the requirement for a test, I wonder whether the numbers may increase, as more people will have to have them in order to stay somewhere or go out and eat.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
But most people are having at least one test per week already?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A visual on @Cacciatore, post

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mankei wrote:

Really? I’ve not seen or heard anyone being tested so frequently - what’s the source?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Cacciatore, workplace testing, school testing plus the 5 free self tests available per person each month from any Apotheke. Government advice has been weekly testing since the start of the November lockdown.
latest report
Quote:

Mankei wrote:

Really? I’ve not seen or heard anyone being tested so frequently - what’s the source?

Am I really so unusual? I’ve had only one test (a most unpleasant experience), and that was a week or so ago when I had a dental appointment.
snow report
Hmm. Up until mid April, I was getting tested once per week to go skiing (appreciate that that was only required in Tirol), sometimes twice if I also went to the hairdressers. Since then, not at all, but I'm going to have to go 2-3 times/wk if I want to go back to the gym etc. I suspect there are a small number of people who get tested a lot, because of work or whatever, and a number who rarely leave the house and don't get tested at all. There is likely to be a big increase in demand for testing from next week, but at the same time the exemption rule comes in so that will reduce it a bit. Nobody has ever asked for any proof.
latest report
I was getting tested 1-3 times a week while I was still going skiing and didn't find it too bad. I suppose I got used to it, unpleasant but quickly past. The only places where the results were checked were at the borders going into Salzburger Land and on one trip to Germany. Haven't gone now for a week or two but may try again occasionally.
ski holidays
tatmanstours wrote:
Quote:

Mankei wrote:

Am I really so unusual? I’ve had only one test (a most unpleasant experience), and that was a week or so ago when I had a dental appointment.

Im in the UK, and so far, havent had/needed a test for anything.

I must be a rarety.

Ive got my first dental check up next week since the pandemic, and as far as I know, they dont test before or during etc.
latest report
I've had no tests either - that said i've not been anywhere! rolling eyes
snow conditions
We have been doing as a family twice weekly pretty much since eldest went back to secondary school after return since lockdown 3 school exclusions. The pretty much is that rest of family was a couple weeks behind
ski holidays
Living in the UK I've only had one test (lateral flow) and that was voluntary as I'm part of the BioBank data gathering project.
snow report
I know not directly relevant to Austria but a lot of travel into Austria is via Germany.

Today the RKI has changed the UK to a risk area see here. The important quote is

Quote:
Note: The classification is made despite a 7-day incidence of less than
50/100,000 inhabitants due to the at least limited occurrence of variant
B.1.617.2 in the United Kingdom of Great Britain. Variant B.1.617.2 (first
detected in India) has now been classified by WHO as a “Variant of Concern”.

However a lot of UK based people will not be affected by this because (quote from a Lufthansa circular)

Quote:
As of 13 May 2021 (date of planned entry into Germany) new regulations will apply for entry into the Federal Republic of Germany.

The most important points at-a-glance:

• Fully vaccinated or recovered persons are exempt from the testing requirement. However, this does not apply to entry from virus variant areas: Here, proof of testing is still required prior to departure
•Travelers are considered vaccinated if they have completed their vaccination series more than 14 days ago with a vaccine approved in the EU. These are currently the vaccines from BioNTech/Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson. The proof of recovery must be a PCR/LAMP/TMA test proof that is at least 28 days and at most six months old
•The negative Covid-19 test result at time of departure, which may be required for entry, must be done no more than 48 hours (antigen)* or – new – no more than 72 hours (PCR, RT-LAMP or TMA) before the time of entry into Germany (time of swab)
•Certificates are accepted in English, French, German, Italian or Spanish; self-tests are not valid
•Fully vaccinated or recovered persons are exempt from quarantine when entering Germany from risk and high incidence areas. Passengers who have tested negative are also exempt from quarantine when entering from risk areas. This requires uploading proof of vaccination/immunity or testing as part of the Digital Registration on Entry (DEA). Alternatively, proof can be provided to health authorities after entry

Making sure you have proof of being fully vaccinated at least 14 days prior to travelling looks as if it is going to be important

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 14-05-21 19:55; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I can add one further comment on life in Austria currently. Today I had an unexpected visit from the police. They wanted to check my quarantine status. This surprised me, though at first I did wonder whether it was related to my trip to Germany (for dental treatment) a week past Monday. However, in the end it turned out that it had nothing to do with me at all and they were really looking for a neighbour. However, it does show that some quarantine checks are being made.
latest report
Scarlet wrote:
Hmm. Up until mid April, I was getting tested once per week to go skiing (appreciate that that was only required in Tirol), sometimes twice if I also went to the hairdressers. Since then, not at all, but I'm going to have to go 2-3 times/wk if I want to go back to the gym etc. I suspect there are a small number of people who get tested a lot, because of work or whatever, and a number who rarely leave the house and don't get tested at all. There is likely to be a big increase in demand for testing from next week, but at the same time the exemption rule comes in so that will reduce it a bit. Nobody has ever asked for any proof.

I’d tend to agree.
snow conditions
@munich_irish, having read your helpful post above, is it your understanding that vaccinated travellers to Germany from the U.K. will not be exempt from the testing requirement, because they come from a “virus variant area”? And is the U.K. now designated as a high risk area, because our government has allowed travellers from India to import the variant mentioned? (If so, well done Boris!)
snow conditions
@tatmanstours, the UK is now re-designated as a high risk area, because of the Indian variant. I guess you can blame Boris for that. I have not yet seen an exact description of what the testing requirements for UK will be, but I think you have to assume that there will be requirements...
ski holidays
@tatmanstours, my understanding is that if the UK is now a "normal" risk area the same as say Belgium or Italy, not a "high" risk area like France or Sweden, nor a "virus variant" area like Brasil or India. On that basis I believe the following applies (from RKI website @ 17:30 14.05 )

Quote:
Impf- und Genesenennachweise können einen negativen Testnachweis ersetzen und von der Einreisequarantäne befreien. Dies gilt jeweils nicht bei Voraufenthalt in einem Virusvariantengebiet.

Quote:
Immunization and convalescent evidence can replace a negative test detection and free them from entering quarantine. This does not apply to a previous stay in a virus variant area.

see here for more detail.

The UK is not classified as a "virus variant" area so either full vaccination or a test should be sufficient to avoid any restrictions.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

@tatmanstours, my understanding is that if the UK is now a "normal" risk area the same as say Belgium or Italy, not a "high" risk area like France or Sweden, nor a "virus variant" area like Brasil or India.

@munich_irish,
Perhaps I’m being obtuse, but above you said that the U.K. has been designated by Germany as “high risk”.
If that is due to the “Indian variant”, I wondered whether that would cause it to be interpreted as being in a “vaccine variant area”. Perhaps I need to study it .
ski holidays
@Steilhang, as much as I loath the lying English toff I dont think Boris can be blamed for this. The UK now has probably stricter controls than Germany on people entering from many parts of the world, they are not having the Champions League final because the UK government refused to waive the quarantine restrictions for UEFA officials and media. Unless you are prepared to totally isolate yourself, like New Zealand, variants will inevitably spread.

There is a map here showing current detected cases https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/14/indian-covid-variant-which-countries-have-highest-infection-rates , as you can see already over a hundred cases detected in Germany

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 14-05-21 20:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@tatmanstours, well spotted, now edited the original post! The note from the RKI explains that although the UK is well below the 50/100,000 per 7 day rate which would normally mean removal from any sort of risk list the presence of this particular variant means that they have put it on the "risk" list until things are clearer.
snow conditions
TUI finally pulled the holiday I booked to Mayrhofen for the 26th June today from the web site (flight from Glasgow). Still showing as available from Manchester but doubt it will happen.
snow conditions
munich_irish wrote:
@Steilhang, as much as I loath the lying English toff I dont think Boris can be blamed for this. The UK now has probably stricter controls than Germany on people entering from many parts of the world, they are not having the Champions League final because the UK government refused to waive the quarantine restrictions for UEFA officials and media. Unless you are prepared to totally isolate yourself, like New Zealand, variants will inevitably spread.

There is a map here showing current detected cases https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/14/indian-covid-variant-which-countries-have-highest-infection-rates , as you can see already over a hundred cases detected in Germany
Thanks for the Belehrung. I shall endeavour to stay entirely serious in future.
ski holidays
Imv Boris can certainly be blamed for the Indian variant rising in the UK, he left the borders open to incoming flights for a week rather than closing them, and folks arrived in volume before they closed, people not track & traced since here, and people are still entering UK via other safe locations from India, via stop overs. People in multi generational families closely mixing and not isolating, going out and working etc because in areas of deprivation they need the money and no support to keep them home. Crazy....he never learns, out of touch with reality.
ski holidays
@Markymark29, Yes, but I think that you'll find that many were U.K. passport holders/residents.
latest report
Also, the U.K. has the world's leading/most popular transit hubs, eg. Heathrow/Gatwick/ Manchester, Channel tunnel. It cannot be compared with N.Z., Australia in terms of closing entry points. Many (millions) U.K. citizens are of Asian, Oriental, Caribbean and African descent with families in those parts to connect with and visit.
Probably, this recent issue stems from the Indian govt's lack of Covid restraint in the spring, spectators were allowed into sports and there were few precautions.
Whilst we're on this point, the whole Covid disaster can be firmly placed on the doorstep of the Chinese govt., who's delaying tactics and secrecy in the initial outbreak, and subsequent deviousness and obfuscation in preventing WHO investigators full access to Wuhan.
WHO can also be placed firmly in the dock for being so compliant in the face of Chinese deceit in it's eventual report, published a full 18 months after the outbreak.
In a word outrageous.
For people to criticise govts across the world for being unable to respond adequately is a failure of those critics to understand the complexities of modern life and the dramatic scale of the transmittability of a virus with no known antecedent.
snow report
@Markymark29, Variants are detected through Genomic Sequencing. Countries that are good at that (like the UK) do it very quickly. But, unless you are lucky enough to pick the the right samples in the first place you won't find it. So in the UK that means sequencing a tiny percentage of the thousands of daily positive samples. In the case of the "Indian" variant (B.1.617.2) we only started looking for it after the Indians discovered it, by which time it was already here and closing the doors a week earlier would have made no difference. At the time of Boris's decision all arrivals from India were already subject to tests on arrival and to self-isolate. The fact that evidence suggests they didn't follow the rules is the fault of individuals and not Goverment decisions, which is why it was necessary to put India on the Red List.

So in my opinion the finger of blame is pointing at those "People in multi generational families closely mixing and not isolating, going out and working etc", who despite your assertion that "in areas of deprivation they need the money and no support to keep them home", managed to find enough dosh to f**k off to India and back in the middle of a Global Pandemic and contrary to the UK Government's travel regulations. I blame BREXIT.
ski holidays
Am I right in thinking that curfew (22:00 - 06:00) ends today? I’m sure I spotted a related article earlier, but can’t seem to find it again.
ski holidays
Österreich ist ab Mitternacht nicht mehr eingesperrt
Nächtliche Ausgangsbeschränkungen enden

Die nächtlichen Ausgangsbeschränkungen enden heute um 24.00 Uhr. Der Hauptausschuss hatte diese Coronavirus-Schutzmaßnahme zuletzt bis 15. Mai verlängert. Mit einer gestern kundgemachten Verordnung nahm Gesundheitsminister Wolfgang Mückstein (Grüne) auch die bei Entfall des Paragrafen 2 „Ausgangsregelung“ nötigen kleinen Änderungen in der vierten Covid-19-Schutzmaßnahmenverordnung vor.

So wurden im Inhaltsverzeichnis die Einträge für Paragraf 2 und Verweise darauf in anderen Bestimmungen gestrichen. In Kraft tritt diese Verordnung mit 16. Mai. Der Paragraf 2 mit den Ausgangsregelungen selbst steht ohnehin nur bis 15. Mai in Geltung, weil sie der Hauptausschuss immer nur für zehn Tage verlängern konnte.

Morgen ist dann – ausgenommen nur Weihnachten – der erste Tag seit 3. November, an dem „das Verlassen des eigenen privaten Wohnbereichs und der Aufenthalt außerhalb des eigenen privaten Wohnbereichs“ auch von 20.00 Uhr bis 6.00 Uhr nicht mehr nur für die bekannten Ausnahmen zulässig ist. Am Mittwoch treten dann die Lockerungen für Gastronomie, Hotels, Kultur und Sport in Kraft.

Austria won't be locked down from midnight
Night time restrictions end

Exit night restrictions end at 24.00 pm today. The main committee had last extended this coronavirus protective measure until May 15. With a regulation announced yesterday, Minister of Health Wolfgang Mückstein (Grüne) also made the small changes necessary in the fourth Covid-19 protection measures ordinance if paragraph 2 was cancelled.

In the table of contents, the entries for paragraph 2 and references thereto were deleted in other terms. This Regulation enters into force on 16. May. The paragraph 2 with the basic rules itself is only valid until 15. May anyway because the main committee could only extend it for ten days.

Tomorrow - except for Christmas only - will be the first day since November 3., when ′′ leaving your own private living area and staying outside your own private living area ′′ will also be from 20.00 am to 6.00 pm no longer only for the known exceptions are admissible. On Wednesday the relaxation for catering, hotels, culture and sports will come into effect.
ski holidays
Reading the EU will add UK to the ok
List of third countries next week (FT). I wonder if Austria will do so or not. UK may not add Austria to the green list although rate in Austria could well be below 50 / 100,000 by the end of next week (by comparison Netherlands still at over 200 and Germany over 100).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy