Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
I'm back to work tomorrow, but my boss who has been right with all his lockdown predictions so far said to get ready for another lockdown in 3 weeks, with lifts shutting possibly sooner.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whaaaat? I suppose, once Semester is over, there won’t be much going on re skier numbers. The lift companies must have lost a bomb.

Could really do without another lockdown, to be honest.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The hospital numbers are much better than they were in December, but the daily new infection numbers have certainly plateaued and the vaccination programme is extremely slow. The government health advisors are keen to keep ski lifts open and to encourage outdoor exercise. No idea what sort of financial support the lift companies are getting from the government and whether that will enable many of them to stay open after the semester holidays.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Süd & Nord Tirol United

Listen to the latest Posts & read the replies !!

https://www.facebook.com/sonjasophie.ultsch

New Measures

Second Homeowners will be barred from visiting.....

From Tomorrow In Supermarkets only 1 person per 20²M .......
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I know its not "Austria" but Tirol - the implication in this article is that the situation in both parts of Tirol is really not good https://www.sueddeutsche.de/politik/suedtirol-tirol-corona-lockdown-italien-oesterreich-1.5198480 . There is a lot of worry here in Germany about "variants" and also that although the situation generally in Bavaria is getting much better (the "rate" in Munich itself is now under 50) the areas near Salzburg are not included in that. I suspect that the Bavarian government will be doing all it can to discourage any "non essential" travel into Austria for some considerable time to come whatever the authorities in Vienna think.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@munich_irish, I haven't been watching the situation in South Tyrol, but the situation in north Tirol isn't really any different than the rest of Austria, and has a 7-day rate of about 98. There are ongoing discussions this evening in about whether the state will face extra restrictions, but if the area is singled out, I don't think it will go down very well. Bavarians should not generally be in Tirol anyway, but that is up to the border patrols to police.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@munich_irish, it feels like the German (and Niedösterreichische) media are still trying to sell the idea that open ski lifts are causing worsening corona situations, even though that isn't born out by the facts. Re. the Bavarian government, I think you're right that they will continue to try to discourage all travel, however they don't seem to be very effective at it so no idea how much difference it will make!

New news however is that apparently we now need an antigen test every time we want to go skiing... Presumably this because of the international complaints rather than the reality that skiing hasn't caused any problems or clusters (the only clusters related to skiing were due to international travellers in their accommodation, no transmissions while on lifts/slopes). However anyone who has had corona can get an Ausweis exempting them from needing tests (not just for skiing; also for hairdressers etc) good for 6 months from infection. That should cover me 'til Easter hopefully, but I guess the test stations are going to be chaos every weekend morning from now on!

Edit: and now the Austrian government has issued a travel warning against Tirol rolling eyes

https://liveblog.tt.com/414/coronavirus/94240/bund-will-innerosterreichische-reisebeschrankungen-fur-tirol-erlassen

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 8-02-21 14:13; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yep, that pretty much counts us out of skiing as we don't have time to queue at a test centre that closes at 4pm! I know half of Tirol doesn't have a job any more, but it feels a bit discriminatory against those of us that do. Don't have time to queue 4 hrs at the test centre? No fun for you!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Scarlet, FWIW there's a few Apothekes where you can get tested for free apparently too: Museumstrasse and Boznerplatz in Innsbruck, plus 3 in Hall. And apparently a few Hausartze too. That's secondhand info though.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@clarky999, My Hausarzt diverts to the main test site at Olympiahalle. It is next door to the hairdressers, you'd think they'd be able to sort something out rolling eyes I saw my local pharmacy on the list, but I've also heard that some of the pharmacy ones don't give the official certificate? I'm not sure. It feels like too many hoops to jump every week Sad
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@clarky999, I haven't seen any recent articles in the German media complaining about skiing in Austria (but I only look at the Süddeutsche), there was one comparing a small outbreak somewhere in Baden Württemburg related to small group going hiking together to the next Ischgl! I was going to ask about this "Für das österreichische Bundesland Tirol gilt aufgrund der als brisant eingeschätzten Corona-Lage eine Reisewarnung. Das erklärte die österreichische Regierung am Montag in Wien." which has appeared in the SZ live news bit. However think your TT link probably answers that. A lot of politicians are getting very worked up about "variants", despite the fact that variants have been happening all the time since this started, a good number (pretty much everywhere) of rather panicky & pointless measures (such as the test to go skiing......)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
An English language report on the goings on in Tirol https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/08/bavaria-threatens-close-austria-border-tirol-eases-covid-rules , the (Berlin based) journalist cant resist mentioning Ischgl.

Not entirely convinced that the article is correct in regard of "threatened border closures", the media here in Munich sees it somewhat differently (from SZ via google)

Despite the great concern in Germany about the Corona situation in Tyrol, Bavaria's Health Minister Klaus Holetschek still does not consider border closings to be appropriate. "Border closings cannot be ruled out as a last resort. But first of all we have to reduce border traffic to the bare minimum," said the CSU politician to journalists in Munich on Monday. The aim must be to break the chains of infection across borders, and any exchange must be questioned.

Bavaria and Germany are closely monitoring the situation and are already monitoring it more closely, said Holetschek. Depending on the decision on the Austrian side, this must continue to be closely monitored. In general, however, it is clear that the situation must be taken very seriously. After six weeks of corona lockdown, shops in Austria will reopen on Monday. At first it was unclear whether there would be special measures for the state of Tyrol. In Tyrol, the more contagious South African variant of the coronavirus occurred more frequently. Scientists therefore called for the rapid isolation of individual locations or the entire state on the border with Germany in order to prevent the mutation from spreading. The Tyrolean government protested loudly against any new measure.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
From Professor Norbert Nowotny, Institute of Virology, Vienna:

Madness apparently continues-4. lockdown!! already forecast.
Virologist: ′′ It won't be more than three weeks ′′ until the next lockdown
Even if the population follows strict rules, Norbert Nowotny says.

After 44 days in lockdown, schools, commerce and body-related services like hairdressers are again unlocked on Monday. From a purely pandemic point of view, the current case numbers are still far higher than the level of a 7-day incidence of 50. in December.

Currently Austria is at 106,27.

The opening steps were long yearned for, an understandable step, also finds virologist Norbert Nowotny. He, too, advocates a school opening, just for reasons of child welfare. The problem: For a long time, the opening steps would probably not be able to be maintained, says Nowotny in an interview with Puls24.

′′ It probably won't be much more than three weeks ", until the next lockdown is around the corner, he fears. According to Nowotny, three weeks is the maximum possible if everyone in the population follows strict rules and pays attention.

The numbers are still way too high for a permanent end to restrictions, and the more infectious South African and British virus variants are creating a new wave of contagions. In addition, the vaccination was far too little advanced.

With regard to the question of a separation of Tyrol, Nowotny referred to the planned test offensive over the weekend. If the suspicion of larger clusters of the South African variant is confirmed, Nowotny also argues in favour of isolating at least the affected regions - such as Schwaz.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This article https://www.sueddeutsche.de/politik/corona-oesterreich-tirol-1.5200102 suggests there is a lot of pressure on the Tirolean first minister especially from the tourist industry (followers of the Ischgl story will be well aware of the close connection between the Tirolean tourist associations and the ÖVP - party of the federal Chancellor Sebastian Kurz & Tirolean first minster) to remove restrictions. It appears there is a considerable divide between Innsbruck & Vienna on how to proceed. It is very difficult to know what will happen from here especially if the number of infections start to rise again as has happened in some other countries.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
the biggest problem ist the South Africa Virus Variation
there is a rumor that hotel owners from Tirol (Zillertal) were during Christmas holidays in S.Africa for Gold...and they brought bach the mutation
snow conditions
I really hope the requirement to have an Antigen test before skiing doesn’t spread over the border from Tirol to here..
snow conditions
FWIW I got an Antigen test at an Apotheke in Bludenz in early Jan at 12 hours notice: no queue & the result was with me in 20 minutes..cost iirc Ed €25..I do appreciate that this is no guide to the situation in Tirol in the next few days but it might turn out much better than the feared 4 hour queues..
ski holidays
I had an antigen quick test in St. Johann last week and my waiting time was rather less than 4 minutes than 4 hours. And given the numbers of people skiing on the Steinplatte on Sunday, I doubt there will be a sudden boost in demand.
snow conditions
@espri, Just so we're all on the same sheet. Antigen tests only "detect" COVID once you have built up sufficient viral loads and this is consistent with when you are most infectious. A negative Antigen test doesn't mean you don't have COVID, only that you didn't have a viral load at the time and place of testing. So if you have one the day before you go skiing, you could well be positive and infectious a couple of days later.
snow report
Am I right in thinking that an antigen test can read a false positive for people who have antibodies? In which case, I don't want one!
snow report
@queenie pretty please, about 1/3 of positives are false positives with the test that has been used for mass testing. However, they have to be confirmed with a PCR test before you can be quarantined again (though I can understand why it's still preferable to avoid the situation Confused ). The negatives are not checked though, so who knows how many of those are false?! I think you get a free pass for six months, if you have a certificate from your doctor to say you've had it.

@Bergsteiger278, test are supposed to be free. I suspect the paid ones are less popular.
snow report
New entry requirements from 10 February https://www.bmeia.gv.at/en/austrian-embassy-london/

extract from the Embassy website below, there are exceptions to this use the link above to check.

With the amendment to the entry regulations of the Federal Minister for Social Affairs, Health, Care and Consumer Protection coming into force on 10 February 2021, entry from the United Kingdom will be prohibited!
snow conditions
New rules from tomorrow (10th Feb) as per the British Embassy: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/austria/entry-requirements

Quote:
Entry to Austria
Passenger flights from the UK are not currently allowed to land in Austria. From 10 February 2021, entry to Austria from the United Kingdom will be prohibited by Austrian law.

The following people are excluded from the entry ban, if you can present a medical certificate confirming a negative PCR or rapid antigen test not older than 72 hours. You must also fill out the Pre-Travel Clearance form. If you are unable to produce a negative test upon entry, you must take a test in Austria within 24 hours. 10-day quarantine is still mandatory, but you can take a self-funded PCR or antigen test after 5 days (the day you arrive in Austria counts as day 0). If the result is negative, you will no longer need to stay in quarantine.

Residents of Austria
Austrian citizens, EU/EEA citizens, Swiss citizens and people who live with them in the same household
people with residence or habitual abode in EU/EEA countries or Andorra, Monaco, San Marino, the Vatican or Switzerland and people who live with them in the same household
holders of a visa D issued by Austria
people who are entitled to stay in Austria, on the basis of a residence permit or residence title
members of the staff of diplomatic missions or consular posts and people who live with them in the same household
employees of international organizations (e.g. the UN) and people who live with them in the same household
people who are employed by a domestic regional authority or a domestic public corporation and whose place of employment is abroad or whose service is carried out abroad, provided that the activity of this corporation abroad is in the interest of the Republic of Austria
people who enter Austria to begin or continue studying or doing research
people who enter to attend school

Business travellers are exempted from the entry ban and the quarantine regulations, but not from the obligation to present a medical certificate and Pre-Travel Clearance form. More information is available from the Austrian Embassy in London.
ski holidays
@radar, Apart from these people becasue they don't carry CV-19 whereas the rest of us clearly do..... Laughing Laughing

Austrian citizens, EU/EEA citizens, Swiss citizens and people who live with them in the same household,
people with residence or habitual abode in EU/EEA countries or Andorra, Monaco, San Marino, the Vatican or Switzerland and people who live with them in the same household,
holders of a visa D issued by Austria,
people who are entitled to stay in Austria, on the basis of a residence permit, a residence title or documentation of the right of residence under the Settlement and Residence Act, Federal Law Gazette I No. 100/2005, or the Asylum Act 2005, Federal Law Gazette I No. 100/2005,
people who have a confirmation of the application, pursuant to Art. 18 Para. 1 of the Agreement on the Withdrawal of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland from the European Union and the European Atomic Energy Community, OJ L No. 29 of 31.01.2020 S 7 (Withdrawal Agreement),
members of the staff of diplomatic missions or consular posts and people who live with them in the same household,
employees of international organizations and people who live with them in the same household,
people who are employed by a domestic regional authority or a domestic public corporation and whose place of employment is abroad or whose service is carried out abroad, provided that the activity of this corporation abroad is in the interest of the Republic of Austria,
people who enter Austria to begin or continue studying or doing research,
people who enter to attend school
latest report
@radar, https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/austria

Latest UK.Gov .... Travel may be subject to entry restrictions

A landing ban is in place for all flights from the UK to Austria until 21 February
All travellers arriving in Austria from the UK must fill in a pre-travel clearance online form and quarantine for 10 days upon arrival. You have the option of taking a self-funded PCR or antigen test after 5 days (your day of arrival counts as day 0). If your result is negative, you will no longer need to stay in quarantine.

Never mind the 10 day quarantine on return to the UK.
latest report
@skimastaaah, thanks got the UK gov update the other day, I find the Embassy when it’s updated gives a better overview

The UK quarantine is about to change too.
snow conditions
@Markymark29, looks like that new helmet won’t be getting much use! Very Happy
ski holidays
@radar, might be vintage next time we use ‘em eh?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Markymark29, as it’s snowing I thought I would go for a walk wearing it, it’s a bit icy underfoot Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@Markymark29, its only UK citizens that have the virus though living with an Irish person clearly makes you immune Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
I’m now wondering if this is all going to drag on until next season as well. Please let’s hope not.
ski holidays
@VolklAttivaS5, I suspect that unfortunately next season is going to be full of challenges too, politics and nonsense between UK/ EU certainly isn't going to help much imv. Ideally you'd like to think that if everyone has virus vaccinations all over Europe by the autumn and travel corridors are open, vaccine passports (or whatever they call them) without the need for quarantines etc, but who knows with talk of SA variant boosters and in a crazy post Brexit world without free movement for people and goods then skiing and mainland Europe travel may be far from normal for a long time yet.
ski holidays
@Markymark29, also the various governments can’t keep subbing businesses forever can they! Somewhere along the line it’s going to have to stop.
latest report
I think the intention is by the sounds of it (with the new quarantine and testing arrangements on entry to the UK) that here will be opened up freely to get people’s businesses back on track so we should be able to travel around within the UK at some stage soon, we just can’t leave.
snow conditions
Tirol now in quarantine .....

From Friday February 12th no-one will be allowed to leave the Tirol and head to another part of the country without a negative test.

The measure will be in pace for 10-days in the first instance.

The police will monitor the situation in what has been described as “one of the largest police operations in recent years”.

The armed forces have been deployed to control federal and state highways as well as Innsbruck Airport and the railway lines.

The border with Germany will also be patrolled.

The Tirol has more than 400 cases of the South African variant that appears to be more infectious and more resistant to current vaccines.

Most new cases are in the Schwaz area.

The respected virologist, Dorothee von Laer, says the Tirol is now considered a European hotspot for the South African mutant of the coronavirus (B.1.351).

https://planetski.eu/2021/02/09/tirol-placed-under-quarantine/
latest report
Looks like they'll have to shut the Arlenmaehderbahn in St Anton then, unless they're planning on checking people when they want to use it...
ski holidays
Vienna is considering letting restaurants open Monday till Thursday but shut at the weekends.

https://www.thelocal.at/20210209/vienna-proposes-weekend-coronavirus-lockdowns
latest report
The restriction coming into force on 10th February, in effect, merely confirms the current situation. In practice it has been all but impossible to reach Austria from the UK since the end of December due to the effects of the EU “Coronavirus Regulation” and the Austrian rules of entry issued in response to the pandemic. Basically, all non EU nationals are already prohibited from entering Austria unless, broadly put, they can demonstrate either they have either “an active job” or a “right of abode.” (From familiarity with the German original of the rules, I understand they are considerably more complex than my summary, but that was the general effect). So no real change, merely a clarification for Brits..
snow report
DB I haven’t seen the possibility of eating out in Vienna reported in the German language media here...maybe because the Ländle is 8 or so hours away from the capital..makes it a bit impractical for us to nip there for an impromptu meal!
ski holidays
@Bergsteiger278,

Get the night train here & back. wink

One Austrian region letting restaurants open again Mon to Fri is the first sign of Austria opening up again.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy