Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
St Anton
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
queenie pretty please wrote:
@holidayloverxx, last weekend they did some mass testing in Flachau, I think c.560 people were tested, all negative. At the moment there are 21 registered active cases in Flachau, which has fallen from last week.

How so only 21? Salzburg 24 reporting 90 in that group now?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@holidayloverxx, they were moved to a quarantine facility elsewhere.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@queenie pretty please, ah ok...I thought they were still at the hotel
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@holidayloverxx, some are I think. But quarantine rules mean putting them in individual rooms, so some had to be moved.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
DB wrote:
@DB, @Markymark29, the only international traffic right now is freight on the motorway. There have been a number of local infection spikes in Salzburg, but as before they are all based in home or office settings. That seems to be where this virus likes to party. Other than the bunch of trainee ski instructors in Flachau (who were all sleeping/drinking in the same accommodation) the infection hotspots are mainly away from the ski areas.

It's strange why some areas have spiked more than others. (e.g. over 800 in Upper Austria/OÖ around 13.11.2020)
I guess it somehow gets into the community and spreads.

Upper Austria tends to see a lot of Spring/Summer/ Autumn tourism (national and international). After the first lockdown, following Winter, OO saw really low infection numbers. Incredibly none in Hallstatt, for example. After Summer/ Autumn and the second lockdown introduction, OO had amongst the worst numbers in the country.

Incidentally, I can’t recall the exact source, but figures stated appear to suggest that excess mortality hasn’t really changed over the last 12 months compared to the 5 year average. I haven’t verified this....but, if true, it may partly explain why there is so much open scepticism around Covid and the threat to Austrians.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just to get the word out for anyone who hasn’t seen it, if you live in Tirol and have an Austrian social security number (on your e-card), you can now register for a vaccination at https://anmeldung.tirolimpft.at/. More vulnerable will still be done first regardless of when you register, but this will get you in the queue. You can also select a preferred site, either at one of the large vaccination centres in cities, or at your local GP surgery.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Promising info today. The 7 day index for one Austrian region (Burgenland in the east) has dropped to 79. Salzburg is still the highest at 174 with an overall average for Austria of 105.

latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@DB, good news.
I noticed Saalbach are opening more lifts for the first two weeks of February (just for locals still), I saw it on their FB page just now.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@VolklAttivaS5, yes, the whole southern side of the Glemm valley is now open - Schattberg and Zwölferkogel, as well as Leogang, Schönleiten and Fieberbrunn. Not optimistic that Kohlmais, Bernkogel, Reiterkogel and Hochalm will be opening, but at least the Kohlmais is pisted for skiers returning from Leogang.
The Zell am See link is also open again, after being closed temporarily.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@tatmanstours, at least the locals can travel about a bit now
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@VolklAttivaS5, yes, roughly one person per square kilometer Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@DB, similar here, overall Bavarian rate is now down to approximately 90. Munich itself, which was for a long time near the top of the infection charts, is now around 60. There are still some districts with high numbers, primarily along the Czech and Austrian borders but overall the German numbers are heading downwards.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Austrian government have been discussing reopening schools, shops and hairdressers from 8th Feb. But it doesn't seem likely that tourism and gastronomy will open any time soon.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hopefully give it a few more weeks the average numbers will get to 50 or below
snow conditions
@VolklAttivaS5, the problem is that at the current rate of decrease, that will take probably six weeks, more if some stuff opens up. I’m not sure the population will tolerate that.
snow conditions
The Austrian government have been discussing reopening schools, shops and hairdressers from 8th Feb. But it doesn't seem likely that tourism and gastronomy will open any time soon.

End of February for tourism (hotels etc) and gastronomy....I’d imagine there will be an announcement sometime between the 14th and 18th. Again, my view is it is unlikely we’ll see opening before Easter. Schau ma mal.
snow report
@Cacciatore, I guess it maybe possible for end of Feb if they can get the average numbers down to 50 or less by then
snow report
@Cacciatore, question will be if there will be any tourists to fill the hotels. The German government is still very nervous despite the improving outlook, hence the politicians getting in a tizz over vaccine deliveries and "variants". Lots of media introspection over "how did we do so badly"! It is going to take a little while of low numbers to convince all concerned for the effective ban on tourism to be lifted.
snow conditions
There's not much point opening hotels to tourists from elsewhere in Austria after the semester holidays have finished. There might be a few weekenders, but not much else. I don't see the borders opening to tourists any time soon.
snow conditions
@queenie pretty please, Funny you should say that. I had two enquiries this weekend from people in Vienna for the holiday period. I politely pointed out their own government prevents me from accepting bookings!
ski holidays
@RedandWhiteFlachau, I'm not surprised. A friend with a guesthouse made a simple mistake with Booking.com which meant her accommodation appeared as available and she also received a request from someone in Vienna. Some people are oblivious!
latest report
There's not much point opening hotels to tourists from elsewhere in Austria after the semester holidays have finished. There might be a few weekenders, but not much else. I don't see the borders opening to tourists any time soon.

Exactly. I’m sure the Government will be eyeing the Spring/Summer season, whether for Austrians or other nations (depending on their Covid numbers) to maximise the chances of opening and minimising the financial impact of a further lockdown. Given the slow vaccine roll out, I can’t see how opening up early will realistically happen, especially for tourists coming from outside Austria.
snow report
@RedandWhiteFlachau, I'm not surprised. A friend with a guesthouse made a simple mistake with Booking.com which meant her accommodation appeared as available and she also received a request from someone in Vienna. Some people are oblivious!

Yes, I heard that too....am guessing it’s the same business. Apparently the person from Vienna was almost indignant that they couldn’t have a weekend in Hallstatt rolling eyes
snow conditions
I think many are taking advantage of their families and friends in order to visit the mountains. A guy I was talking to while out skiing on Saturday was staying with his sister, and there have been a number of non-resident vehicles parked at my building recently, some with roof boxes or ski racks. As there are only four other apartment in the block, the ratios are quite high!

I think compliance is rapidly drifting off now compared to earlier in January. If it wasn't for businesses being closed, you'd almost think it was a normal day.
ski holidays
@Scarlet, a family that live in my block have a Spanish-registered car. They are Austrian, but they have a business in Majorca and the car is registered to the business, presumably for cheaper insurance. I saw them at the weekend loading their skis and they reckon they get stopped by the police pretty much every day.
snow conditions
Scarlet wrote:
I think many are taking advantage of their families and friends in order to visit the mountains. A guy I was talking to while out skiing on Saturday was staying with his sister, and there have been a number of non-resident vehicles parked at my building recently, some with roof boxes or ski racks. As there are only four other apartment in the block, the ratios are quite high!

I think compliance is rapidly drifting off now compared to earlier in January. If it wasn't for businesses being closed, you'd almost think it was a normal day.

I’d definitely agree with that. We see a staggering amount of “out of region” vehicles hereabouts. As much as 40% a few weeks ago! Quite a few German plates as well....they can’t all have second homes here...
snow report
@Scarlet, a family that live in my block have a Spanish-registered car. They are Austrian, but they have a business in Majorca and the car is registered to the business, presumably for cheaper insurance.

I'm pretty sure that is not the case here. I am familiar with the six vehicles that belong to the residents, which will all be parked in the underground carpark anyway, and the extra two or three fleet vehicles they use for work (all covered in business livery), though not much at the moment. There are definitely extra people knocking about, ski touring boots outside one flat that certainly don't belong to the lady who lives there, and several ski-carrying vehicles in the guest parking spots...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Scarlet, I'm sure there are a few here too. Some second home owners for sure, but quite a few visitors. Plenty of German number plates but quite a few have the right to cross the border for work (around 10% of the workforce at my firm).
snow report
After around 100 people were caught in St Anton now ski resorts in Voralberg are being checked. A main target is second home investment properties where typically the owner is allowed to use the property for 6 weeks and they are rented out for the remainder of the season.

https://vorarlberg.orf.at/stories/3088078/

Also heard that financially Corona has hit Austria the hardest of all European countries.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 3-02-21 9:58; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@DB, I heard on the news that they are planning to carry out more police checks on accommodation. I was in my car at the time, following a Q7 with W plates fully packed with luggage and a roof box. Yes, they might be second home owners visiting for the semester holiday, but the cynic in me wonders why they would need so much luggage if that's the case...
snow report
And yes, we're going to be paying for this for many years.
snow report
Just reading the above, it's clear that there are always going to be people who flout the rules for their own end....we've even seen people on here who create threads about how to get around rules etc. I think that these people are in the minority and you need to trust the police to root them out and jump on them and make them obey the law.

The issue however of loads of people in Tirol ski resorts who are lying low in cheap guest houses, claiming they came into the region in volume from UK, NL, D, DK, Skandi's etc, and arrived late 2020 looking for work and now have stayed is different. In short they were never going to get work were they? It's clear from FB posts on ski bum groups that some, not all but likely some of these guys were (are?) having a laugh, and out skiing, partying at home and basically flaunting the rules. When they get a call from the police they advise others, and it's clear they are not supposed to be there but equally are now being heavily fined, so presumably may have to leave due to lack of funds to pay? Equally there are genuine expat workers who have made their lives in Tirol, and live there but mix around the ski community, and it's a shame imv that they are being dragged into this.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 3-02-21 14:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
DB wrote:
Also heard that financially Corona has hit Austria the hardest of all European countries.

Tourism accounts for about 15.5% of GDP in Austria. For comparison, Germany a little over 7.5%, France similar, UK 8%.

As a country that seems to lean towards keeping money “stashed under the mattress”, it maybe hard to understand the exact impact of Covid. However, keeping such a large sector closed down (accommodation and gastronomy), and so many services and non-essential shops shut, it’s not hard to see how the economy has been so badly hit.

Having said all that, doesn’t the wealth per capita data suggest that (pre-Covid), Austria was one of the wealthiest European countries?
snow report
@Cacciatore, There's a lot of old money likely propping up mattresses, but there'll also be a lot of newly launched businesses that are heavily geared and struggling for sure. I've no idea how the government are looking after these but overall my hope is that the vast majority survive OK and folks like us on here will be supporting them going forwards for many years to come.

One thing I've thought about in recent weeks - I genuinely believe that there were some Austrian businesses who took our tourist money for granted and provided poor service, eg Hospiz Alm in St Christoph, I just hope that these places hit the re-set button and realise that this huge wake-up call means they should improve their customer service going forwards, it'll be interesting to see that......I know say 95% are great, and thats a large part of why we all keep returning and love the country, but there are a few, and noticeably increasing in number last 3-4 years who were starting to take it for granted imv.
ski holidays
Cacciatore wrote:

Having said all that, doesn’t the wealth per capita data suggest that (pre-Covid), Austria was one of the wealthiest European countries?

According to this link
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distribution_of_wealth_in_Europe
Per adult Austria is only just above Italy, below France & the UK and very far away from Switzerland.

If this continues Austria will most likely fall even further down the table.
latest report
Sort of on topic (well maybe first cousin of it): last June England were going to play Austria in Vienna as a warm-up match for the 2020 Euros. Obviously neither happened. They have just announced that England will play Austria this June in preparation for the 2021 Euros 2020 (there is a pub question for 40 years time). However they will no longer play in Vienna but somewhere in England.
snow report
Something I haven't seen in the last 10 months has been a reduction in housing prices. This could be a function of many people buying second/third/etc houses with cash from savings, rather than requiring mortgages. Decent places seem to be selling very quickly too.

What is noticeable is a drop in the number of real estate listings. It could be just a general reduction due to the season, but there appears to be far fewer listings online.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 3-02-21 15:15; edited 2 times in total
latest report
Yet Austria has no concept of "charity" outside of international aid or environmental causes, no food banks, etc. A Teams call with colleagues brought up the subject of Captain Sir Tom, asking me why raised money for what to them is a "Krankenkasse" (health insurance).

In terms of GDP per capita, Austria did rate above Germany, Sweden, UK, France, etc. in 2019. But that might be a lot different now. The government has a package of support for businesses that have been forced to close, but that's all got to be paid for.
snow conditions
@DB, not sure that is a particularly useful set of figures these ones are probably better http://tinyurl.com/1564ztbz (direct link to wikipedia does not work for some reason). As can be seen Austria is very much at the "rich" end of the table, above Germany also France & UK and well above Italy & Spain. The estimated figures for 2020 are below 2019 and projections for 2021 are about the same as 2019. That seems to be about the same everywhere.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy