Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
@GranthamPaul, decided to rework my response, the link you have shared is to the Austrian embassy in the US, my one is to the UK one, there is a big gap in the update dates and the way they have laid out the information !n my view is that the US version is incorrect, given today's update at Austria.info, the official travel portal for Austria

The Austria info site was updated today 8 July, https://www.austria.info/en/service-and-facts/coronavirus-information, its clear that you need a COVID-19 certificate and it essential travel.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As you say, it is clear that the Austrian Tourist Office say "essential travel" only - although in pretty much the same breadth they then go onto say non-essential travel is discouraged.

It is less clear that other Austrian government sources stipulate essential travel only from the UK and regardless of date of website update my presumption is that the embassies (especially US) are more a gold standard source of information. I also found it bizarre that the UK Austrian Tourist Office would Retweet this yesterday given their website advice: https://twitter.com/wanderlustmag/status/1280879320672567296

Maybe the Tourist Board is the current PR position but the legal one is that reflected on the government websites?

Either way getting consistent information is very confusing across the board. I can't find anybody who will confirm that current travel restrictions will remain in place till 30 September, 2020 (source: personal communication from Austrian Embassy - arguably supported by their US embassy website). The Tourist Office contradicted this - under review, hope to welcome you soon, no set date. The UK embassy in Austria won't acknowledge it either "We are in regular contact with the government of Austria on a wide range of topics, including entry requirements" (05/07/2020).

PS Footnote on Tourist Office website:
Please note: The following information has been researched with the utmost care. However, we can provide no guarantee of accuracy.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@GranthamPaul, they do all agree that you need a Covid test.

This is a link to the ministry of interior https://bmi.gv.at/news.aspx?id=6848727832704B4B752F633D , I checked the Austrian foreign ministry as well and it directs you to the ministry of interior for entry requirements.

This is a link to the english version https://bmi.gv.at/bmi_documents/2513.pdf , the bit that applies to us is on page 2.

It’s clear you need a test, there is no mention of essential travel only.

Edit: the interior ministry site was updated 2 July
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@GranthamPaul, "I can't find anybody who will confirm that current travel restrictions will remain in place till 30 September, 2020"

Click radars 1st link. it says "The ordinances of the Ministry of Health apply until the end of September 30, 2020". whilst it then goes on to talk about the 32 countries I suspect the ordinances apply to all entries
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@GranthamPaul, You might find it unfair but there is a general perception in the German language media that the situation in the UK has been badly handled, this applies to Sweden too. I suspect this is not really a dispassionate analysis of the situation but politics plays a role hence emotion is important. Brexit also plays a small part (upsetting a few UK tourists is no issue not so France). Also bear in mind that Austria is very defensive about what happened in Ischgl (there are a number of threads here on the subject), again perception plays a big part, and wants to protect its tourist income by demonstrating how safe the country is.

What this boils down to is that Austria does not really want UK based tourists at the moment, if you do decide to go it is going to be expensive and there is a risk that the regulations could change without notice. Maybe it is possible that they will relax the rules for folk coming from the UK but that seems unlikely. I know you have already committed to a holiday in Austria so will have to keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@holidayloverxx, thanks again for the COVID-19 test, they are very competitively priced.

@munich_irish, Agree with your comments.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
munich_irish wrote:
... Austria does not really want UK based tourists …..

And would not really miss the 950,000 UK visitors per annum who represent a massive 2% of their tourists. I would not be surprised if their were to be a ski season embargo on UK skiers especially if the Autumn brings repeated Covid-19 infection spikes in the UK. Austria got their response swiftly and relative effectively, managed their infection cases, minimised deaths to one tenth the population rate of the UK ( 78 per million population to 656 per million in the UK), despite being Covid-19 spread centres in ski resorts. Shutting down the Tyrol and Arlberg regions was a necessary response.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Also bear in mind that Austria is very defensive about what happened in Ischgl (there are a number of threads here on the subject), again perception plays a big part, and wants to protect its tourist income by demonstrating how safe the country is.

@munich_irish, Kind of ironic hey,? Austria (Tyrol) dishes out the virus to 1000's of ski tourists (they ARE very defensive, the truth maybe hurts), rapidly closes its doors and enforces a rigid shutdown and now doesn't want the tourists back.....it'll be interesting to see how they feel on the subject next winter. (btw i'm not bitter..... we were evacuated out of the country 13th March along with 10,000's of others, to say the local tourist information and support for tourists was poor and unhelpful is an understatement, they knew this was going to happen and didn't have a plan)......that said I love the country and local culture (not so much that eminating out of Wien), we've been visiting for 30+ years but feel pretty let down, imo they are being a tad narrow minded in their approach to opening up again, and could perhaps be putting across a more compassionate front rather than what appears to be one of "your dirty, we're not, so stay away" etc. IMO times have moved on in the last month and Austria isn't keeping up with events, and in doing so isn't doing itself any favours longer term.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@skimastaaah, Not denying it was necessary and appropriate, and I agree their handling of the pandemic on a macro level has been excellent to date overall in protecting their own interests, however right now they are being rather pedestrian and inward looking imv. (probably suits them so who are we to deny them that right?). If things don't change however they'll be missing a lot of revenue from my family end August and next winter in Lech/ Anton.

I think your 2% figure is country wide rather than Tyrol/ Arlberg, yes? Locally it will make a huge impact I believe, and so do the locals i've spoken with.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Markymark29, Austria has reopened to tourism. The summer season is underway. Yes the Asian and Middle Eastern tourists are notably absent, but the Germans, Dutch, Czechs, etc. are here. Austria has been very nervous about allowing tourism from countries where the virus appears to have been mismanaged. This includes the UK, Sweden, currently Portugal, Romania, Bulgaria, Moldova and pretty much anywhere outside of Europe. The UK isn't being singled out.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
UK tourists made up 2.1% of overall tourist numbers in Austria in 2019, this is down from a high of 2.6% in the mid-2000s.

Also it is wrong to say that Tirol dished out the virus to tourists. The virus was brought into Tirol by tourists where it spread further among tourists and residents.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@queenie pretty please, my comment above was tongue in cheek, clearly Tirol didn’t infect them directly, but that said there’s no doubting that some businesses put profit before customer safety, of that there is little doubt.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hopping there will be an update here tomorrow.

https://www.austria.info/en/service-and-facts/coronavirus-information

I have flights booked to Munich and hope to head to Austria, but southern Germany will do just fine if we cant get in. I've had a positive Covid antibody test and donated plasma to help cure others but that seems to count for nothing when travelling.

In my case I was infected in Saalbach.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@JimboS, see my post further up, which has the current situation from the interior ministry dated 2 July.

https://bmi.gv.at/bmi_documents/2513.pdf, there’s a direct link in my post above.

The Austria info site says essential travel, the ministry doesn’t mention it.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@JimboS, positive antibody test cannot count for anything - antibodies are not proven to give immunity nor is there evidence that someone with antibodies cannot infect others.
snow conditions
Quote:

@JimboS, Likewise 3 of our party of 4, in Anton.....stuff happens and I just hope we developed some immunity, we're all OK thats the main thing, and it was 4 months ago. At the time we couldn't get tested because we weren't key workers but we know we had it, and self solated for 14 days. It was awful, have never felt like that before, breathing was fine but really bad back/ shoulder aches, spots and loss of taste/ smell, all the same but one had breathing issues and was almost hospitalised. Could likely get tested now if we lied and said we had symptoms but no point imv its history, have felt fine since late March. We were super careful and didnt go in any busy bars, who knows but i'd say it was probably picked up in a gondola, sauna, breakfast buffet or on the bus transfer out, or more likely on the plane home ex Zurich, who knows?
ski holidays
Quote:

Where infections started with a group of Brits, one of whom had travelled via Italy.
(Incidentally, it has been noticeable in our recent shopping expeditions in and around Saalbach that Mrs TT and I were the only ones wearing masks and looking for hand sanitizer (only to find empty bottles). Observing people’s behaviour, there is no evidence of social/physical distancing. People are behaving normally and apparently assuming that the low infection rate in Austria equates to a negligible risk.)
ski holidays
@tatmanstours, Have you been there throughout?
ski holidays
@jafa, yes, since December. Didn’t plan to stay, but it was clear by late March that we would be a lot safer staying here. What with this, Brexit, and the way in which the U.K. is being governed, we may not return.
latest report
Thats the reason why Im desperate to get back out to Kirchberg soon. To go into the Gemeinde and see what they say. Unfortunately, Im not yet in a position to sell up both house and business yet to move 100% FT otherwise Id also be there in a shot.

By the way, are you driving around in a UK reg or Austrian? Did you have to speak to anyone extending your time there?
snow report
@jafa,
Quote:

By the way, are you driving around in a UK reg or Austrian? Did you have to speak to anyone extending your time there?

We bought an Austrian reg’d car (which had to have special plates, valid for a year, as we are not (yet) main home owners in Austria).
No one has raised an eyebrow about us being here, but (like anybody who stays for longer than 3 months), we had to apply for a certificate of extended residence (Anmeldebescheinigung). That was painless and all done by email.
I understand that this registration requirement is the norm in EU countries, although it was never introduced in the U.K. You have to provide evidence that you have somewhere to live, that you have health cover, and that you have sufficient means.
ski holidays
@tatmanstours, Rather than hijack up this thread, Ill PM you if thats okay?
snow report
I've been skiing in Austria at least once a year for more than a decade. Crossing it off my list for this season. No point going where we are not wanted. Nor will I be booking anything with operators who bleat about political matters. I go skiing to get away from that crap.
latest report
@jafa, You should be OK as long as you apply for residency before 31/12/20

see

https://www.thelocal.at/20200702/five-key-points-to-know-about-applying-for-residency-in-the-eu

or

https://britishineurope.org/
snow conditions
@holidayloverxx, I hear what you are saying but I believe these lines that come from the government are spouted out to prevent the need for two sets of rules, for those who have and have not had it.

So for as far as I am aware no one in the world has had it twice, and if they want my plasma to cure others I am not worried about catching it again.

Not wanting an argument on this, just my point of view and wont be drawn into a pointless debate, especially pointless at border control.
ski holidays
@JimboS, Personally I would advise against holiday trips to Austria for UK residents (even Scottish ones) at the moment, too many unknowns for a relaxing holiday. Southern Bavaria offers a good alternative, the mountains are not quite so high or as many but the beer is better Very Happy . Another option would be the Südtirol, should be no issues driving from Munich. You might want to book accommodation pretty soon as many Germans are staying at "home" and avoiding Mallorca, Turkey etc
snow conditions
[quote="munich_irish"]@JimboS, Personally I would advise against holiday trips to Austria for UK residents (even Scottish ones)

One reason why I have the scottish flag on my Number plate. It certainly does make a difference. Ive had many a nice conversation with Europeans when they realise your not English/British. The number of Austrian/Germans who have come to Edinburgh and travelled round the North/west is incredible. And that`s just fact, my wife reminds them shes english, but by that time they don`t mind the female being English. Strangely my accent gets stronger again!!
snow conditions
@JimboS, sure...i think your plasma is a trial though?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Another option would be the Südtirol, should be no issues driving from Munich.

That is my original question. Can we drive across Austria to get to the Dolomites without enduring 14 days of quarenteen? At the moment I am planning on the Swiss route to the Milan - Venice motorway then up to Bozen and across to Wolkenstein, which is about 100 miles and an hour longer. But I saw a tiny bit in the paper yesterday the Veneto is under lockdown at the moment due to some new cases in Vicenza.
ski holidays
@munich_irish, Allgäu a good place to base if looking for mountainbiking and hiking?
latest report
@johnE, yes you can if you are transiting and will not be staying in Austria
snow report
@munich_irish, Yes, that is plan B, but not second best, and as if I needed a sign, this turned up in the post this morning.

snow conditions
@holidayloverxx, Even non Shengen countries?
snow report
@johnE, when setting out entry conditions for non schengen the austrian embassy states "The regulation still does not apply to transit through Austria without a stopover." So i would say yes...but i would be checking with the embassy to be certain
snow conditions
I had a meeting with the authorities in Innsbruck on Monday about taking Austrian citizenship. That looks like being more complicated than I had hoped. But with reference to Austrian residency, I understood that despite my currently having a Bescheinigung des Dauernaufenthalts (certificate for extended stay), I will have to take further steps to legalise my residence when the Brexit transition period comes to an end (presumably) at the end of the year.
snow report
@johnE, the Ministry website says

Überdies ist eine Durchreise durch Österreich ohne Zwischenstopp erlaubt (keine Notwendigkeit der Vorlage eines Gesundheitsnachweises) sofern die Ausreise sichergestellt ist.

Basically no issue transiting through Austria without a cert. as long as you dont stop. I cant see how you would have an issue if you use one of the obvious transit routes such as Kufstein - Brenner or Bregenz - Reschen Pass. Probably sensible to have printed out confirmation from wherever you are staying in Südtirol. I haven't seen anything about an outbreak in Vicenza but it is to be expected that there will be a series of local outbreaks, it could happen in the locality where you will be staying

@JimboS, the Bavarian gin mentioned on the cover of the tourist mag. is distilled in the next village to me https://theduke-gin.de/en/
snow report
Maybe a hopeful indication for UK based folk. Norway, which has had one of the most restrictive set of travel rules, has announced a relaxation of those rules and the UK is on the green list of "safe" countries https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-health-coronavirus-norway-travel/norway-lifts-many-european-travel-curbs-including-parts-of-sweden-idUKKBN24B19U . Possibly Austria might update its list of "safe" countries too.
latest report
@munich_irish, Maybe...but Austria has seen a small uptick in the rate of infection since it eased restrictions for incoming travellers, so there is bound to be some nervousness and caution. Also no one mentions our government and it’s leader without a smile on their face, so there probably isn’t much (or any) faith in them to “take back control” (to coin a phrase).
snow report
@tatmanstours, I completely agree, was just trying to be optimistic, though personally I doubt Austria will change. As far as the German language media is concerned there is little difference between the two male, blond haired Anglo Saxon leaders! I was very surprised that the Norwegians, who have been even more "nervous" than the Austrians, said yes to the UK but no to Portugal, Luxembourg, Croatia and most of Sweden.
snow conditions
And of course the name "Ischgl" evinces a certain reaction over here. When ardent Austria fans like myself are steering clear, you have to wonder how much tourism Austria is going to lose this year. In some Austrian resorts, a considerable percentage of visitors come from the UK, normally.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy