Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

one ski, do it (almost) all shortlist?

Poster: A snowHead
My kids have milestone birthdays coming up and I contemplating buying them skis - this time something new and optimal as opposed to second hand and kind of the right thing.

The parameters are this:
usage : not gates or hut to hut touring (would hire / borrow something else for those) but pretty much everything in between though probably 4 days lift served to every 1 day skinning
skiers : strong technical skiers who are comfortable in pretty much all conditions. They spend most of their time off piste but like carving up a piste too. Both are fit but LIGHT
constraints : I'm assuming we'll mount them with shifts. Boots are more free-ride than free-tour (e.g., Lange XT free). Dad is not un-indulgent but draws the line at Stockli/DPS type money!

So we are trying to thread a needle that involves:
1. light enough for moderate day tours but not so light that they are too rattly when its firm or choppy
2. wide enough to be fun on powder days but not so wide that cross-under short carves are off the menu - remember they are lightweights, I think this is probably 95-100mm ish
3. Probably a bit of shape (thinking 18m radii or less?)

Ideas?
scott scrapper 95?
atomic vantage 97?
WD altum 94?
atomic bent chetler 100?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dynastar?

Both mine ski on Legends at the minute. But we only ski lift served.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've found a slightly heavier ski much more suitable for all round use and the ride down, saying that I've toured for 2.5 hour days on 120mm Bent Chetlers on heavier Atomic frame bindings quite happily

But I recently replaced my 12 year old all mountain Nordica Enforcers with the new more freeride oriented (more rocker) Enforcer Free skis at 104mm underfoot and rate them hugely. The standard Enforcer is available at 100mm plus other widths. The good news is that you can get these discounted to under €400.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
+1 for Scott Scrapper 95, WD Altum 94. Also check out the Scott Slight 93 or WD Ronde 96. There's next season 20/21 Scotts on offer here and we have a few 19/20 WD's left on offer to snowHeads only here. The WD's are unchanged in every respect for 20/21 so this is a chance to snag 'em at a great price but the skis won't be 'out of date' next season.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And there's me thinking you wanted to buy a monoski.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
dynasty legend 96, light, turny, 5 point rocker similar to DPS and great on piste
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
1989 Rossignol Open K. (Kevlar, with graphite bases).

Great for barrelling down the piste, but playful and competent in the soft stuff.
They're very lightweight compared to modern skis so I imagine easy to tour on.

No idea what they're like in the park as they hadn't been invented. Smile

Most French skis shops will have a pair kicking around that they'd sell you for a tenner.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Get on the Altum 94s (The Borstal? The Twoccer?) if Jon has them in the right lengths. I'm assuming they ski like the 104s and 114s so will be a hoot for a skilled yoof.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Green Black Crows. Although next time around I may go Red depending on the sales.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
One ski -do it all? Snowgunz Ice Axe Radonnee - split mono!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If its a single ski you’re after I’d get whatever this guy uses

http://youtube.com/v/LatVt6F8whQ

But if its a pair of skis Toofy Grin then another batch of Dynastars and others are up on SportPursuit at half price.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
red black crows are nice as well but a bit softer than the legends
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Have to say spent time on the new Salomon QST106 in Japan this year and it was a great all rounder - it was a poor pow year (Euro snow comparable) so they saw some fresh, and some crud and tracked snow, what actually surprised me the most was how playful it was on the pistes and how fun it was to carve, not sure how they would hold up on steeper European slopes that are hardpacked and have a high content of artificial snow crystals - maybe someone can comment on that but paired with a pair of shifts these things must be phenomenal. Which is why they are on my shopping list for the upcoming season!

Think them plus a pair of dedicated piste skis make the perfect 2 pair combo for Euro trips.

Edit:

Forgot to mention Salomon are releasing a new line called Stance this year in 90/96/102 - its a stiffer ski with a titanal plate ( 2layers) reminded me of the old mantras - radius is larger than what you wanted but they will likely be a great charger ski.
https://blisterreview.com/gear-reviews/2020-2021-salomon-stance-96

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 3-07-20 17:02; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd go a bit narrower I think given they are light?? 88mm maybe could be a nice sweet spot??
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@jedster, it depends when their birthdays are. If they're later on in the year why not bring them to Oktobertest and let them have a play?

I'll +1 the Scott Slight 93s as well. They have a tighter radius than the Scrapers but are a bit heavier and at 180cm the're 95mm under foot.
ski holidays
Blizzard Rustler 9 or 10 would be great one ski quiver with shifts

Sports Persuit had good price on both wink
latest report
@jedster, skied the atomic BC100 all last season , and also skied with a friend and his teenagers for a week on them , they loved them and just ripped the pistes and happily jumped off every bump they could find , ive got mine mounted with the shift and have done a few lift served day tours on them , and they're fine for 3-4 hr walks from the lifts without wasting the legs for a long ski back , also when you come back through the resort after a long day its nice to have something so easy to ski , one of the best value skis out there
latest report
@jedster, just how heavy are they? The skis don’t know how tall, fit, hangry or teen-angsty you are wink
ski holidays
I “did it all” in my Line SFB which are 106mm underfoot and not that light mounted with Beast 14s, but always hated boiler plate and icy days until I got some pure piste skis.

For a one ski quiver, I’d also say Dynastar legend 96 - hire some once and liked them. Though I do want to try the Extrem Project 100 when I finally need to replace my Line SFBs.
latest report
@Themasterpiece, @ster, @skimottaret, +1 for Legend X96. I bought some in the spring sales last year & they are ideal for me in all conditions. Having said that, you can’t beat testing skis for yourself as different people like different things.
latest report
nordica enforcer 100
elan ripstick black 96
blizzard brahma 88
snow conditions
If you’re Interested in Atomics this guys comments are worth a look
ski holidays
Thanks everyone

legends should be on the list
Did wonder about Nordica Enforcer 100 (and Blizzard Bonafide and Mantra M5 for that matter) but wondered if the extra weight/stiffness was optimal given a bit of touring and they aren't heavy. I know they would ski well on them.
Not sure their exact weights at the moment but I'd say 62kg and 55kg.
Boy is on dynastar powertrack 89 (173cm) - which are stiffish all mountain skis with some rocker. We would probably keep those in the locker so her could afford to go a bit wider but I'm not a fan of >100mm for spring touring in Europe
Girl is on sky7 (96mm) but at 162cm they are getting a bit small. UANN is quite right that the skis don't know that they are below head height but my daughter does and regards it as a bit embarrassing!
ski holidays
@spyderjon,

on Ronde 96 vs Altum 94 - seem to have quite similar objectives, how different are they?
Have to say that the Scott product range seems very crowded - whole lot of skis with pretty similar roles but may be I'm being thick
snow report
@jedster, full Whitedot specs here: https://issuu.com/whitedotskis/docs/whitedot-lookbook-2019-print-lowres

The Ronde 96 & the Altum 94 have the same (trad) construction so have very similar weights per size and both have 4mm of camber underfoot. However the Ronde is a bit stiffer than the Altum 94 and has an almost flat tail compared to the rockered tail & shorter running length of Altum. This gives the Altum a slightly more forward mount point which with it's tail rocker makes it more playful and the Ronde a bit more traditional technical. The tail profile and the slightly shorter tail length of the Ronde has more benefits the more it's used for skinning.

The Scott equivalent to the Altum 94 is the Scrapper 95. The Scott equivalent to the Ronde 96 is the Slight 93 or the Superguide 95, depending upon your turn radius preference. There's also a Carbonlite version of the Ronde 96 out next season which drops the weight quite a bit.

Happy to talk more about them if you give me a call as it's a lot easier to chat than type.
ski holidays
jedster wrote:

Did wonder about Nordica Enforcer 100 (and Blizzard Bonafide and Mantra M5 for that matter) but wondered if the extra weight/stiffness was optimal given a bit of touring and they aren't heavy.

Those x3 probably the best "100mm all-mountain" skis you can buy right now.
Great short list wink

Obviously they are all stiff / slightly heavy / traditional camber skis with metal laminate.
For those who prefer to carve, rather than slarve.

None of them would be top of my list for touring more than 600m vertical due to weight.
But they are all great skis for charging the resort.
snow report
I am light (10st), half decent, reasonably quick, reasonably technical skier, that likes a ski to handle a bit of everything - but I'm also in my 60s, with back surgery, though reasonably fit......and I love Scott The Ski. It is certainly on the playful side and wouldn't be as damp as those Nordicas or Blizzards, but that suits me fine and why I went for them in a 180.

@spyderjon, says the Slights are better again (IIRC) and I would have no reason to doubt him.....though my hunch would be, that the Slight 93 are lighter and would be better On Piste and The Ski would be better Off Piste, due to having a longer turn radius and being a little softer.

The choice will come down to "Fun and Playful" or "Damp and Hard Charging".....and IMO. A light, versatile skier, that only skis once or twice a year, will usually find the former more enjoyable for a mix of everything.
snow conditions
a question to go along with this is, what binding would be used? I'm also looking for that one ski and wonder what binding would be best for touring,all-mountain and a little park?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Noakes, Salomon Shift or the new Marker Duke PT.
snow report
I've the 100 nordica enforcers and 120 bent chetlers, and generally prefer the bent chetlers. I'm 86kg and advanced. The low weight makes them feel friendly and for mostly off piste I think this would add to the fun.
ski holidays
I'm skiing on a 95mm ski with a 16m radius, ie a wide ish ski with a short radius and I love this as an all round ski, the short radius means that they can carve a tight curve, almost getting my elbow down to the snow without needing to be going mach speed.
I'm 90 kg and the 95mm waist leaves me wanting just a bit more float in the deep stuff.
I really want to try the Nordica Enforcer 110 but in your case I think the 100 would be a good bet for an all round ski for a lighter person.
snow report
tangowaggon wrote:
......I really want to try the Nordica Enforcer 110 but in your case I think the 100 would be a good bet for an all round ski for a lighter person.

A burly double metal layer ski which is about the heaviest in it's class for 62kg & 55kg users that also want to tour Shocked
snow report
tangowaggon wrote:
the short radius means that they can carve a tight curve, almost getting my elbow down to the snow without needing to be going mach speed.

Any chance you've got that on video ??
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy