Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anybody booking for 2021 yet?

 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

you have to buy toothbrush

I have seen knitting needles allowed on the plane so how can a toothbrush be considered a dangerous weapon?
Quote:

I have not been in an airport shop that I can remember in the last 5 years.

I think the important term here is "remember". The entrance to many airports now force you to go through the shops.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
johnE wrote:
... I think the important term here is "remember". The entrance to many airports now force you to go through the shops.
There's a difference between "being in" a shop as stated and "going through" one, which of course we all are forced to do.

If you're playing for points I think you lose, because the meaning was clear and you had to twist the words to make the play.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Confession, I remember now, I bought a polo shirt in San Diego last year on my way to the lounge. Had spilled ice cream down the shirt I had on and didn't want to look a mess on the plane!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
nba2005uk wrote:
I’ll take the zell am see advice on board about March. I would look to go as school holidays end which I think is 2nd week of March. It’s just going to be 4-5 nights for me and my father for a birthday present for him and he hasn’t skiid since a child so don’t need too much terrain.
Want to take him somewhere scenic, traditional, with good bars too.


Zell shares lift pass with Kaprun/Kitzsteinhorn Glacier, so if you're ok with a short bus ride then you have a solid backup through all of March.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I tentatively moved my Easter shuttle booking to Christmas/New Year + Sunweb credit voucher is sitting ready for to be redeemed.

Not keeping my hopes too high, but I think chances are good for the season to open. If they don't, then the skiing industry (or most of it) is dead.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Having done our first Bash to Alleghe last year, we were tossing up for our usual boys week of 3rd Jan between Birthday Bash and DIY trip.

I think we've plumped for DIY, Eurotunnel and drive down to quieter area in France, probably Samoens Grand Massif. We could be booked for under £100 a head risk for the four of us, with a decision needing to be made at the end of November, so the feeling is we will go for it. The Eurotunnel element of that (£45) would be transferable anyway.

I think the Eurotunnel prices are already higher than they would normally be this far out and I suspect they will only go one way, especially as we hit autumn and people realise driving is the best way to go. I do have a voucher from our cancelled Easter trip but may save that for the family.

It will be a different trip, with little Apres and restaurants but it would be great just to be skiing, but if it happens it should still come in at around £500pp on the slopes (travel, accomodation and lift passes) so still good value!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Having booked easyjet for next Jan, at £27 quid a pop and £1 baggage, it would now appear that might not be such a good idea after this data breach !

Consdiering BA got fined 183 Million for losing 500,000 customer records, this could be curtains for Easyjet. I know it was a gamble to book through them for next year, but it might well not payoff now Sad
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've booked flights to Japan in January. My reasoning was that Japan still has the 2020 Olympics to run regardless and they will have to open the country back up somehow. No-one will come if there is a two-week quarantine period on arriving there. They will need the tourism money anyway, plus at some point this ludicrous situation has to end. Part of it is just me hoping against hope as well.

I'll be booking a UCPA again but given the communal nature of the place I'm less hopeful. If prices double so that rooms can be half-occupied then their customer base will disappear, on the other hand.

My prediction is that all this 'social-distancing' crap will slowly fall away. One thing I've learned from a brief spell in management that the best way to kill off bad ideas and save face is simply allow enforcement of said bad idea to fall away and like water let your staff find their own level, so to speak. Queuing outside shops in the UK is going to stop the second the rain starts in September/October as someone will eventually go "sod it" and just march into the shop. We're all breaching quarantine at the moment, just lying about it on Facebook et al.

There's a famous passage in Catch 22 where everyone eating in the canteen has to profess more and more elaborate articles of faith to the USA, democracy etc otherwise they won't be fed. This continues until a tough, crusty Sgt Maj comes in and demands food. The chefs are too frightened to say no and the spell breaks.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@justabod, it's not quarantine, and actually we are not "all" lying about it.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@holidayloverxx, it's not "lockdown" either as we're not criminals in an American prison. How about 'conditional house arrest' or 'confinement'. If anyone is following the rules to a T they're a fool. The total number of under-45s who've died of C19 is about 300. Suicide kills around 100 per month so C19 isn't much deadlier for this group.

The "lockdown" is a colossal mistake borne of hysteria. The gov't said it was only until we were past the peak and we have been for some time. There will not be some desperately lethal "second wave". All the 6'6"-gap nonsense is just that. It is there to make people feel better and get them out and working. I've been doing 180+ hours a month when there are others working in a second job after being furloughed from the first or are sitting on their fat a rses at home being paid for a nice holiday. These will be the people demanding gov't bail-outs when the redundancies come. Rolls-Royce laid off 9k today. BA have already binned 12k. Are people blind? Do they really think that the 80% will keep going?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
justabod wrote:
I've booked flights to Japan in January. My reasoning was that Japan still has the 2020 Olympics to run regardless and they will have to open the country back up somehow. No-one will come if there is a two-week quarantine period on arriving there. They will need the tourism money anyway, plus at some point this ludicrous situation has to end. Part of it is just me hoping against hope as well.

I'll be booking a UCPA again but given the communal nature of the place I'm less hopeful. If prices double so that rooms can be half-occupied then their customer base will disappear, on the other hand.

My prediction is that all this 'social-distancing' crap will slowly fall away. One thing I've learned from a brief spell in management that the best way to kill off bad ideas and save face is simply allow enforcement of said bad idea to fall away and like water let your staff find their own level, so to speak. Queuing outside shops in the UK is going to stop the second the rain starts in September/October as someone will eventually go "sod it" and just march into the shop. We're all breaching quarantine at the moment, just lying about it on Facebook et al.

There's a famous passage in Catch 22 where everyone eating in the canteen has to profess more and more elaborate articles of faith to the USA, democracy etc otherwise they won't be fed. This continues until a tough, crusty Sgt Maj comes in and demands food. The chefs are too frightened to say no and the spell breaks.


Totally agree,
lockdown has achieved its aim we now need to begin to loosen the grip, the government are doing exactly what you say, letting a few break the rules so that all 66 million dont all rush out on day one.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@justabod, i don't disagree with some of what you say, but don't project your lies on others
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@holidayloverxx, that's a bit bold: you're accusing me of intentionally saying something I know to be untrue. What have I said that is deliberately untrue?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@justabod, you said "We're all breaching quarantine at the moment, just lying about it on Facebook et al."

"All" includes you. (One of the few persons for whom you have first-hand evidence.)

So the logical conclusion is that you're also breaching quarantine and lying about it.

That's what @holidayloverxx was referring to when she said you're projecting your lies on others.


More generally, I think you're just as extreme in your views as a friend of mine who thinks the government should pay for pretty much everyone to continue staying home until a vaccine is found, and get the money from tax havens. You both have made up your minds long ago and you're ignoring evidence to the contrary.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@horizon, thanks - exactly so
ski holidays
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@horizon, you're taking me hyperbolising and speak generally as literal fact that every single person in the UK is doing it. I think social distancing and quarantine are ludicrous so ignore them, except where those who are genuinely at risk are involved. However these people are at home so my contact with them is minimal. I'm not lying about it as I don't care what others think and find the mass panic obscene: the data are there to be looked at and the solid evidence does not justify the hysteria. A few points:

- Iceland have tested more citizens per million than any other country. 50% were asymptomatic and very few had even had the disease, suggesting it's hard to catch.

- The death rate for under-24s is lower than the chance of being struck by lightning. Even for 75-90s the risk is 1 in 225 i.e. 0.44%. The first incidence of stroke for that age group is 1.75%. I don't know what the death rate is but stroke at that age will almost certainly be significantly and permanently disabling, unlike C19.

Your friend is insisting the gov't pays for everyone to stay at home sheltering from a disease which has killed 300k globally, compared to the deaths from TB (1.5 mil EVERY year), with money it doesn't have. There have been other, more lethal pandemics in the last century which did not stop the world from turning. Before you mentioned Spanish 'flu, this killed the young and healthy as opposed to the elderly: death, believe it or not is ageist and many dead from C19 will have died from bog-standard respiratory illness this winter anyway, or had one of the aforementioned strokes.

Put it this way: tens and indeed hundreds of thousands of jobs are being lost. How many do you think will die of various causes due to the reduced NHS funding as a result of decreased tax receipts?

Or another: there are around 6k killed on the roads every year but car travel is an essential part of modern life. Mingling with other human beings is an even more important part of life and is how countless illness spread and kill thousands every year (24k in 14/15 'flu season) yet we do not stop this.

Finally, does everyone you know have a 'flu vaccine every year? Do they visit or come near the elderly? I doubt they have and even then the vaccine's efficiency is middling-to-low double figures. Yet we all continue to do this despite the fact that this undoubtedly causes tens of thousands of 'flu deaths every year.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
justabod wrote:
@horizon, I think social distancing and quarantine are ludicrous so ignore them, except where those who are genuinely at risk are involved.


It must be cool for you to be able to determine who is at risk and who isn't. How do you do that? Willow stick? Ouija board?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@justabod, You have no idea who is at risk so you should be social distancing. You cannot tell by looking at some one whether they have asthma or are diabetic or whether they have household members who are at risk.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wonder how the world would have reacted without the media both news and social whipping covid panic to levels never before seen,

I'm not saying that people arent dying but the news media are driving some to serious mental issues, I saw a picture yesterday in which there was a reporter in full PPE including, gloves mask and suit, yet the camera man was wearing nothing at all, people need to start thinkng for themselves
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@snowymum, if that's the case then why are they out in public? The elderly who need to stay at home have been supported thus far, have you seen any reports of those staying indoors starving?

Why do we need to stand 6'6" apart? Why not half that like everyone else in Europe? That distance is impossible to maintain in most shops' aisles anyway. How do gloves help unless you have open wounds on your hands? Where is the evidence masks work? When breathing air comes in at the sides. If people were so convinced of their efficacy then everyone would wear them yet despite the general panic the press photos rarely show crowds with many people using masks.

@Scooter in Seattle, have you read my post? The main question isn't whether these measures prevent C19 transmission and therefore deaths (probably in minute quantities) but why NOW? There are so many other diseases spread by basic human contact yet we this is the first time we've reacted like this: quarantining the healthy and resistant who power the protections for the weak and clinically vulnerable.

EDIT TO ADD: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public. The WHO are recommending 1m. I'm not sure that their reputation is wonderful at the moment but it's a piece of straight-forward scientific advice, although they still don't state the evidence behind a 1m gap.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Where is the evidence masks work? When breathing air comes in at the sides.

Classic!

Mask has been "clearly shown" to protect OTHERS, not the wearer. So it matters not whether air comes in at the sides.

Plus, you can't scratch your nose when it's under the mask.

Quote:

How do gloves help unless you have open wounds on your hands?

Again, gloves isn't there to protect the hand. But to stop you from scratching your eyes or wetting your fingers in your mouth to turn the page (as one politician demonstrated at a briefing on TV, right after she finished that very sentence!).

For someone who profess to pay close attention to the WHO recommendation. You clearly didn't understand it.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@justabod, There are lots of people with asthma who did not receive a letter from the government. People who are isolating should still be allowed out for exercise. The over 70s are still allowed out to shop. etc etc.

Our lockdown was less severe than most of those in Europe. We were allowed to exercise outdoors and our children weren't shut inside. Masks are not compulsory in uk on public transport and in supermarkets and they are in other countries. It is not hard to behave considerately in supermarkets. Fewer people are allowed in at a time so one can find a quiet aisle if you see that there are already 5 people in the fruit and vege for eg. I have only used gloves to open a gate on a country walk. At the supermarket I use hand sanitiser and use plenty of soap when I get home.

However like you I am concerned about the economic impact. I think that more businesses could have safely remained open throughout and that people should now be allowed to go on self catering holidays in the UK. The government should now be saying that holidays in Europe will be allowed from July (if the countries will have us).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
justabod wrote:
Iceland have tested more citizens per million than any other country. 50% were asymptomatic and very few had even had the disease, suggesting it's hard to catch.


If they're asymptomatic that implies they have it, which contradicts 'very few had even had the disease'.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@justabod, thanks for the arguments, I've sent them to my friend.

On another thread you said "I would've taken the 550k dead that Ferguson (inaccurately) predicted. The cost of crashing the economy will be dire and long-lasting."

I think first of all that this is where there's a huge difference. Some people think that 550k excess deaths in the UK (so almost 1% of the population) is huge and would be impardonable, you seem to find it less worrying than the economic slowdown. (I personally think it's ludicrous to think that even a deep recession would have anything like that effect on life, or for that matter on QALYs for the entire population.).

Of course, as you said in another post on that thread, the data is still pretty poor. Which is why I still think that the quarantine was a good idea when it happened, when no one knew how bad Covid-19 was, and that a gradual relaxation is a good idea now.

Why gradual? Because we're far from having good enough data on what would happen if we go back to normal life for everyone under 70something. (Though I do agree that it doesn't seem like we would get anything like 1% mortality in the population as a whole).

(Since you like analogies, terrorism has killed FAR fewer people in the UK / Europe /US, and it's NOT spreading exponentially, yet we have changed our lives in significant ways to avoid that risk.)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ignore the troll, they usually go away. Never heard such utter tosh. rolling eyes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If lockdown is what is working right now, why was the death peak on or around 7th April, two weeks after lockdown was initiated-deaths typically occur about three weeks after infection?
I am a scientist and I think the way statistics have been used (or not used) in this crisis is appalling.
In general, I think justabod is about right. Not nice when it is someone's granny (and I have both parents in their 80s), but when you are dealing with society as a whole, it needs to be done dispassionately. We have shut down our economy and society (to an extent orders of magnitude beyond to our response to terrorism) for a virus where 80% of people with it don't even know they've got it. We now know where is a particular section of the population-despite the lack of clear statistics from HMG, I know what that section is) who are genuinely vulnerable (but even for them, their chances of recovery are still excellent)-but we nevertheless chose to prevent tens of millions of young healthy people from earning a living. With the inevitable social and economic consequences. God knows what we will do when something seriously fatal like antibiotic resistant bacteria really appear.
NICE generally allow around £30,000 per quality extra year before permitting a treatment. Taking a £500 billion cost, to save that maximum 500,000 predicted (but not peer reviewed) deaths, gives £1 million per person. Ignoring the fact, many were old and ill anyway. Average age 80, let's say another 5 years of life gives £200,000 per quality year. That even ignores whether those last five years have the same quality as someone in their 20's. Are we going to do this every year for 25,000 flu deaths? 6000 road deaths? 1.2 million TB deaths? The 700,000 deaths which typically happen every year?
I did agree with the lockdown when it started because we did not know enough about CV to make a judgement call. Now we do and we are wrecking our economy because HMG, having scared people witless and made early mistakes, don't have the political balls to make tough decisions. The issue has always been not the number of deaths-but the fact they were all happening at once and the awful optics of it. We started by trying to save the NHS, now it is about saving ALL lives at ANY cost to save the Government's reputation, which is not something we do in any other area of life.
Sorry-rant over.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Please don't blame the oldies for government incompetence. It's just playing into their hands as a convenient wedge issue when people posit the whole thing is just the slightly early death of a few old people versus the jobs of the virile young and trashing of the economy. The young end up demonising the elderly and the elderly end up, well, doing the same to the young. In the noise of the debate, the politicians quietly slink away. The damage is done, and done by our government deciding consciously and explicitly to do nothing early on. We had systems in place, and the scenarios and response actions had been worked out. It's just that the government decided that the cost - of stopping arrivals from abroad, of implementing screening of arrivals, of shutting down businesses, of sending out stocks of PPE to care homes etc. etc. - wasn't worth the risk. They gambled and lost the bet. And lost a hundred-times more in jobs and national income as a result. The rest is just catch-up and mopping-up the fallout. Sadly, the younger generation will be paying off the credit note from this lost bet for years to come.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So how was stopping people coming here going to stop the virus ? It was here before anyone knew what it was. There is no other choice but to let the majority catch it. Many will die which is awful for their families but that is a fact of life, call it callous or whatever but there is no choice
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just a little point. Until we have a test for antibodies that is 99.9% reliable and available in large enough numbers, we will have absolutely NO idea how many people have had the virus and were asymptomatic.

Has any Government (especially those that did major contact tracing and testing) issued any statistics indicating the percentage of people who tested positive, but remained completely asymptomatic for the entire period? I haven't seen any!

Just for the record, I don't trust any of the statistics coming out of China

It could be 5% or 75%, or anywhere in between.

It is therefore pointless using any estimate of it as a statistic in any argument, and extremely dangerous to use it in decision making about reducing restrictions.

We keep seeing criticism of the UK Government over their actions. I accept they made mistakes. Which Government didn't? However, as the decision to lockdown to different degrees was taken by practically every other Government in the world, how can you single them out as incompetent?

Yes there will be an economic impact, but at least the UK has tried to provide some safeguard for it's population. Very few have done this.

What you are also ignoring is that there would have been a very serious economic impact, and a large number of businesses failures as a result of a large % of the workforce going off sick at the same time, and production being decimated due to supply chain problems?
Would you expect the taxpayer to "bail you out" then?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Even before the lockdown there were major problems with people "self isolating" because they had come into contact with someone who might have had symptoms.

Many of these were just using the situation as an excuse for time off with pay. (the same ones who, always seem to have the exact number of sick days that they can be paid for without a doctor's note?)

Before the schools were closed, a large number were sending pupils home anyway because they did not have the staff to ensure their safety. I saw one report where over 40% (out of 120 staff) were off for this reason. Why were they more prone to it than the rest of the country?

It will probably be the same ones who are now "reluctant" to reopen schools as they are enjoying a nice long rest on full pay. (When they could have been providing an online service. For the children who do not have sufficient internet access, there is still that little known facility of The Royal Mail! I am pretty certain that just about every school would be able to find a sponsor to cover the costs)

Schools have been open for the children of key workers. These are the people most at risk of contracting the Virus, passing it on to their kids, who then pass it on at school. This would then put teachers in the same category.

I would be very interested in statistics showing the number of teachers believed to have contracted the virus in this manner.

If the number is high, then I would accept the argument over safety. If, as I suspect, it is extremely low, or non existent then Schools should be re opened in an orderly manner as soon as possible.

The loss of education time can be made up by cancelling part of the summer holidays. Maybe the teachers who have not been at work recently could make their time up. (They will be paid in full anyway. Might as well get something for our money). Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@brianatab, There's a lot of research on proportion of asymptomatic and presymptomatic people, transmission rates etc. That's not to say the answers are all the same, the science is still developing, the tests are very variable, and the variables are not controlled between studies. However, if you want to do actual research on it, I can recommend:

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/8/20-1274_article

https://www.eurosurveillance.org/content/10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2020.25.12.2000256

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7078829/

https://jcm.asm.org/content/early/2020/05/07/JCM.00941-20

The outcome is that between 5% and 50% of infected people appear to be asymptomatic, but asymptomatic may also mean presymptomatic, which the first paper does a very good job of digging into, and concludes that most people display symptoms at some point.

The last paper suggests that, at least in Boise Idaho, as of around the end of March, most (>98%) people had not been infected.

There was also some research done in Germany, which I fear gets overused (not saying it's wrong, but it certainly supports the "anti lockdown thesis" so gets used a lot by those who are anti-lockdown!), suggesting that at Gangelt, following a carnival, 15% of people were infected but most were fine, thus the disease is less dangerous than thought. However, the antibody test used in this study has subsequently been shown to have poor specificity and may have led to a lot of false positives.

As I've said on another thread, the problem with the whole "lock down the vulnerable, free the rest" argument is that you can't do that without leaving them all to die - care workers, cleaners, doctors and nurses don't live on-site and end up exposed to the rest of the population.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The very simple truth is that we don't know yet what would be the overall mortality rate (by reference to the entire population) if it was left unchecked.

My friend who argues for continued lockdown (or limited relaxation with stringent rules) thinks it would be 2.5% - 5% of the population. He references the Spanish flu and about a thousand links.

I think most people on this thread would agree that, if that was indeed the expected mortality rate, we should continue with strict measures (most, maybe not all...)

I think it would probably be something around 0.5% - 1%. Hence continuing to be circumspect makes sense but we can't keep everything shut down because of that.

@justabod probably thinks it would be much lower.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@horizon, There's reasonable evidence so far that IFR is 1-2%. Diamond Princess was about 700 infected, 350 symptomatic, 14 deaths. Relatively clear closed ecosystem.

Many optimists like to forget about those still on long-term ventilation and assume they'll make it. Sadly they may not.

The most optimistic study I've seen (the Gangelt study I referenced above, about which I have some reservations) suggests about 0.4% IFR (infection fatality rate). That's at the "best case scenario" end for me, given the debatable accuracy of the relevant antibody test.

A recent study being undertaken in Spain has, according to media reports, shown 5% of the population have been exposed to SARS-CoV-2. I haven't got seen a preprint for this yet, but it's a reputable group doing the study, and it's been reported very widely.

If we assume it's the same in the UK (i.e. c. 3.5m people have been infected) and we use the excess deaths figure to date of about 60k, that suggests just under 2% IFR. The relative time for the antibody tests to work (they typically show positive if you were infected 2-3 weeks ago, not if you are a recent case) means they should tally fairly closely with the death stats, both take time to happen after initial infection.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@snowdave, It's the range of estimates I was referring to. I am not surprised by the estimate that 98% of any single population have been unaffected. Obviously this would depend on where they were in the Virus cycle.

The UK has had just over 250,000 confirmed cases. Even if 50% were asymptomatic, it would only translate to 500,000 cases, or 8%. Obviously, 5% would be less than 1% of the population.

The suggested figure, used on a number of threads here, that half the UK population have had the Virus, therefore it would be safe to end lockdown is Bs.

The symptoms of this virus are so varied that many people think because they had an "off day", they might have had a mild dose of it. Very dangerous if too many people assume they are immune to it. Guaranteed to cause a massive 2nd wave, and the economic fallout.

I don't know how long the Gangelt Carnival lasts, but it would take a lot of infected people attending to infect 15% in a short time. was that 15% of the attendees, or local population. It would be very difficult to get accurate figures for attendees after they have returned home. Maybe there was a local hot spot before the event?

We will never know how many infected people attended the Liverpool/Valencia match, but there was a definite hot spot in the area shortly afterwards, but nowhere near 15%.

In reality, an infected person can only spread it to people in their immediate vicinity. (Probably no more that 20 in an all seater stadium like Anfield. Due to the segregation, these would have been fellow Valencia supporters. The Virus must have been passed on in the area around the Stadium, Pubs/Hotels etc. Again, the actual number of close contacts would be limited, but these could have taken it to any part of the Northwest, where it was passed on. Whilst relatively high in numbers, it would have been a tiny % of the local population.

Fortunately, the National lockdown shortly after the game might have helped slow the spread in that area, and saved a lot of lives.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@snowdave, Just looked up the Gangelt details. Patient zero was a local, who reported to the Hospital on the night of the Carnival,(14/15 Feb). 300 participants quarantined. By 31st March, 1200 infections, from 250,000 inhabitants. 31 deaths. No latest info. Many of these would have been infected prior to the Carnival, but spread it unknowingly at the event.

If might have been helpful if the article said where he had been in the previous 3 weeks, but 14/15 Feb is very early for a European infection. First case in Italy (2 Chinese) was only 31st Jan. He might have been infected before anyone realised it had arrived in Europe.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
LaForet wrote:
They gambled and lost the bet.


That is a more straightforward explanation than anything else I have seen.

But since they won't admit to having made any decision that turned out poorly, we will no doubt never know.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowdave wrote:
@horizon Diamond Princess was about 700 infected, 350 symptomatic, 14 deaths. Relatively clear closed ecosystem.


There were a couple of cases (at least 2 people in the UK) that began to show symptoms on the return journey, despite testing negative before being allowed to leave Japan.

Interesting, that even in a clear enclosed ecosystem, out of 3700 on board, only 700 got infected. That's less than 20%. Lower than might have been expected. I suspect confining passengers to their cabins when the virus became known reduced the potential infection rate. (Note for the doubters - lockdown reduces infection rates and saves lives!)

It's possible, a few of them caught it at the same time, then passed it on. Would be interesting if we could know more about their habits on board (eg. did a number of them go ashore to some place together, get infected, then pass it on to fellow passengers. (Maybe they all ate in the same restaurant, or indulge in some common recreation)

If the isolation of passengers was not a factor in reducing infection, it does not bode well for "herd immunity" to happen in a more open ecosystem any time soon.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@brianatab, I was partly responding to your suggestion that we have no idea how many people have had it, or the percentage who were asymptomatic, to show that there’s actually quite a lot of data on this, albeit not entirely conclusive.

If you read the papers I’ve posted, particularly the Korean one, you’ll see some good data on how transmission has occurred so far. There is a lot of research on these topics, but snowheads probably isn’t the best place to find it Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
robs1 wrote:
So how was stopping people coming here going to stop the virus ? It was here before anyone knew what it was. There is no other choice but to let the majority catch it. Many will die which is awful for their families but that is a fact of life, call it callous or whatever but there is no choice


It wasn't. My analysis is that the full range of measures needed to slow the spread enough so we could quickly unlock (like Greece) was so draconian in the eyes of the Govt that they decided to do nothing and take the risk. Basically, a bet - that the fallout would be much les than the cost of acting - and one which they lost, because the fallout in terms of jobs and the economy was far worse than if they had acted promptly.

It's the same sort of bet they're taking about returning to school. That the risk of a second and even worse spike is outweighed by the value of schools being able to childmind worker's kids and them being able to return to work before the furlough money runs out. Personally, I think the odds are they'll lose that bet too. Not because returning to school is intrinsically a bad idea, but because they've done no groundwork to prepare for a phased return and it'll be chaotic, with many parents still having to remain at home because, for example, classroom capacity means they can only have a 'shift' arrangement where a class goes in AM/Pm only, or worse, a mix of mornings/afternoons. So only a minority of people can go back to work, and we get a second peak as well.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
LaForet wrote:
... for example, classroom capacity means they can only have a 'shift' arrangement where a class goes in AM/Pm only, or worse, a mix of mornings/afternoons.
The government has ruled that out (for English schools). When pupils return to school is has to be on a full time basis, not part-time. The government has also said class sizes no larger than 15. The government has also said it wants all primary school children to have a least a month of schooling before the summer holiday. That means, typically, all primary school year groups return for the final week of June and then three weeks of July. Broadly speaking it gives the country four weeks to double the number of classrooms and associated facilities such as toilets, kitchens, dining facilities, enough entrances and exits to ensure socially distanced drop-offs and collections, all within walking distance of the school. And for no extra money. And within enough teachers and other adults available to teach, or not, all these new half-size classes.
snow report



Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy