Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Booking a holiday for Christmas

Poster: A snowHead
Having lost our holiday for Easter (flights were scheduled for this morning). I am keen to ski as soon as is practical.

I have booked EasyJet flights for Christmas week.

I am now looking at the holidays on SunWeb.

Can somebody in the know and who understand the rules better than me, confirm my understanding.

I am under the impression that should I book accommodation for Christmas and we are still not allowed to travel, that by booking with Sunweb I will have the right to move the booking to a later week?

I know my travel insurance won’t cover cancellation if that were to happen.

Many thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@NickyJ, I’d check with Sunweb to see if the booking can be moved and get it confirmed in writing, they may well disappear between now and then along with many others, it’s a risk we will have to take. I’ve booked for next Feb with EasyJet in the last two weeks and also have mid July flights to Mallorca which I booked last September, hoping both will be OK
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If Sunweb cease operation the ABTA protection definitely kicks in.

It is if they are still operating but people can’t travel in December to Austria (specifically in my case) I wanted to check up on. Certainly they are giving people credit vouchers for their bookings which couldn’t be honoured for this season.

However paranoid part of me worrys that now this is a known possibility if the situation changes.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've booked easyjet flights for Christmas too, but feel no need to look for any other elements of a holiday yet.

Quote:

paranoid part of me worrys that now this is a known possibility if the situation changes

@NickyJ, if you had any paranoid part of you, I suspect it would have other things to worry about just now!!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
I've booked easyjet flights for Christmas too, but feel no need to look for any other elements of a holiday yet.

Quote:

paranoid part of me worrys that now this is a known possibility if the situation changes

@NickyJ, if you had any paranoid part of you, I suspect it would have other things to worry about just now!!

Ah now paranoia isn’t exactly logical. Happy.

Also you know where we live, very easy to isolate and keep social distance from people.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There will be no skiing next year Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bear in mind that any insurance you have which covers the period for which you plan to travel will almost certainly not cover any flare up nor Covid19 related issue as you booked your holiday since the Covid 19 crisis.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mr Egg you may be right or very limited opportunities anyway as so many of the current travel companies will probably no longer be in business.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am booking nothing for next year that involves paying accommodation deposits, or for flights. I personally think there’s going to be huge fallout with airlines and tour ops. The latter doesn’t particularly concern me directly because I don’t use them but the likes of EJ and Jet2 may not be able to continue in the same way and there will likely be knock-on indirect consequences. I believe there’s going to be a large effect on resort accommodation/ hotels and for me the sensible thing to do is to sit tight and see what it looks like in 6 months time.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:

That's the boat I'm in. Had flights for the EoSB so transferred them to Christmas as those were the only dates I could confirm which EJ had flights out for. Not particularly hopeful that I'll get to use them, but didn't really have much to lose.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I wouldn't commit any additional money beyond whatever sunk cost you carry over from this season.

Keep in mind a good chunk of people will be without jobs/income, you competition will be substantially reduced. There will be plenty of time to book the rest of the items in the summer, and lots of good choices too, even if things go back to "normal". And we're still not looking at any possibility of returning to normal at this point.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@NickyJ, By Christmas Week, do you mean 19-26 Dec 20? If so I think you'll have no problems getting accommodation well into Autumn as those dates or 20-27 Dec 20 aren't going to be as popular as Christmas Week when 25th falls on Tue-Thu. Sit tight for now unless you want to bag a bargain. That said, read the good guys bad guys thread on refunds and you might be surprised at how generous (?) the smaller/independents have been compared to the big names when it came to refunding customers. ABTA or not.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 7-04-20 15:58; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Have flights booked to Oslo Dec 23 to 30 with klm.
Part of me thinks it might not happen but we will see.
Have a hotel booked but that is easily cancelled.
Did just cancel the summer holiday to France this weekend. Got refund on what had already paid for accommodation, will see with flights but that is a minor cost compared to 2 seems accommodation
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Far to early in the day for us to plan anything. We've had to cancel our March and April trips for this season and have now recouped our money. We've been lucky in that we skied in Ischgl/Galtur over Christmas and St Moritz at the end of January. I'm going to review the situation in September. Far more important things going on at the moment for us all to absorb. My mindset is prepared for the worst case scenario of loosing a season,nobody knows were all this will end up still early days. I'll remain positive but our main priority is to hopefully outsmart this dreadfull virus and stay safe (alive). I personally think this will be a reality check for everybody and lives will change for many. The economy will take a battering and no doubt everything will be a lot more expensive. Who knows Zermatt/St Moritz might be off our radar next season - glad we got there in January as we had fantastic snow. Stay safe everyone and here's to the next time we can all click in and slide down the mountains again - keep the faith
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:
@NickyJ, ...aren't going to be as popular as Christmas Week when 25th falls on Tue-Thu.

How does 25th Dec fall on 3 days? Puzzled
snow report
@Bergmeister, a week when 25th falls on a Tuesday Wednesday ir Thursday...not all in the same week.
latest report
@Snowbandit56, +1...... I agree with your sentiment, seems too far away to even think about it right now, and hardly a priority given the stuff that some are going through, seems insensitive to me to even be thinking about next winter holidays right now especially when there's 800 people a day dying out there in UK alone.

I'm not thinking, or was ever was about St Moritz though, that's not in my salary bracket.... wink
snow report
@Markymark29, There are many more than 800 people dying each day in the UK. The average per day without Covid-19 is 1,500.

I can understand why people are planning, no dreaming, about going skiing at Christmas. I am. However booking at this stage in the year, in fact any year, is premature.
latest report
I can understand why people are nailing down flights or accommodation at good prices. Especially when you have the option to cancel at no or small loss (which is what the OP was asking about).

@NickyJ, I've never booked with Sunweb but whenever I've booked with agency/direct I've put down a deposit ~25% and paid the rest a few weeks before. Neither the deposit or full amount would be refundable once paid. Do Sunweb not do something like that?

Actually just checked for you...

https://www.sunweb.co.uk/ski/travel-info/booking-and-paying

Quote:
General payment and deposit

30% of the holiday price + travel insurance = deposit

The general deposit payment is 30% of the holiday price, and is due as soon as the invoice has been issued. The cost of the insurance also needs to be paid immediately. The remaining amount is to be paid to Sunweb Holidays 6 weeks prior to departure at the very latest. If you book a holiday with a departure date within 6 weeks time you need to pay the entire sum as soon as the invoice is received.

<top>

Payment and deposit (flights packages)

100% of the flight price + travel insurance 30% of the other package elements = deposit

The standard deposit is increased to secure the airline tickets and these are non-refundable. As soon as you book package including flights, you will be required to pay 100% of the flight price. In addition to the cost of the flights and travel insurance; you will have pay 30% of the other package elements (accommodation and lift passes etc). This amount is due as soon as the invoice is received. The cost of the insurance also needs to be paid immediately. The remaining amount is to be paid to Sunweb 6 weeks prior to departure. If you book a holiday with a departure date within 6 weeks time you need to pay the entire sum as soon as the invoice is received.
ski holidays
@Layne, thanks Layne and thanks for addressing the real question Happy

I know that those that had holidays booked for Easter with Sunweb are getting vouchers or options of refund as they were unable to travel.

Hence why I THINK same would apply for new bookings for Easter, but am not 100% sure what protects that requirement.

Certainly if they cease trading ABTA I believe is the cover? Or is it ATOL? I get confused by this and I had thought that at least one snowhead would have an understanding of the situation Happy
latest report
NickyJ wrote:
I know that those that had holidays booked for Easter with Sunweb are getting vouchers or options of refund as they were unable to travel.

Indeed. Specified here

NickyJ wrote:
Hence why I THINK same would apply for new bookings for Easter, but am not 100% sure what protects that requirement.

Their T&C's are still the same - no compensation for "Events Beyond Our Control" which include epidemics. But clearly they might make special provisions as they are now but nothing as far as I can say is guaranteed. Flights are covered by the separate legislation in place.

NickyJ wrote:
Certainly if they cease trading ABTA I believe is the cover? Or is it ATOL? I get confused by this and I had thought that at least one snowhead would have an understanding of the situation Happy

ATOL is for flights/airlines. Sunweb are covered by ABTA, who cover Travel Agents.
snow conditions
Interesting article about holidays recommencing

https://www.mylondon.news/lifestyle/travel/london-coronavirus-jet2-announce-date-18056836?fbclid=IwAR0uRnm9zEbBWrc1yv-2Sq3V86nKfn_pt75heEc6gWfOv3MnHFLRJiBqX34
ski holidays
@Layne, thanks - I am somewhat surprised the TO’s are offering vouchers if they didn’t have to though?
latest report
@Markymark29, we did St Moritz on the relative cheap with Club Med. £2800 all inclusive, food, drink, flights, transfers, accommodation and guiding. That price was for the pair of us. We have a group trip every year usually 10 to 15 and Club Med are good for this . Wouldn't do it for when you travel as a couple. My parents were from Yorkshire, so I look for value for money, LOL
snow conditions
NickyJ wrote:
@Layne, thanks - I am somewhat surprised the TO’s are offering vouchers if they didn’t have to though?

Me too.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy