Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Will French Alps Close Today / Weekend?

Poster: A snowHead
Thank you chocksaway, and apologies i got the date wrong: staying open to May 3rd, not the 5th.
But, as the announcement states: "Tignes is prepared to adapt its position should the situation evolve and new safety instructions are given by the government."
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Jonpim, Sounds like pragmatic contingency planning to me rather then a lot of knee jerking which seems to be prevalent on this site. Can't help thinking turning the internet off would be a good thing for the The World!

Right, off to write about today, pip pip!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Direct from Le Grand Bornand website. Their take on the current situation - Glad to know that 'promiscuity is rare especially at this time of year' - a bit of light relief in worrying times!

COVID-19 INFORMATION
Updated on 03/13/2019 at 3.30 p.m.

IS THE SKI AREA OPEN?
At this time, the Grand-Bornand ski area is open to the public without restrictions and the ski lifts are operating normally.
The ski area is an open space, in which promiscuity is rare especially at this time of the year, outside of school holidays.
This end of the season presents itself with good snow conditions, supported by recent snowfall, with a total of 40 cm at the foot of the slopes and more than 2 m at the top. With the days getting longer, great skiing days await you.

WHAT ABOUT ACTIVITIES, ACTIVITIES AND SHOPS?
Following the ban on gatherings of more than 100 people announced today, only entertainment and activities within this framework will be canceled.
At time t, private and group ski lessons are maintained.
Shops, bars and restaurants also remain accessible.

The resort is not identified by the competent authorities as being a hotbed of the epidemic. There are therefore no other restrictive measures applied either in the village or in the ski area. We remain attentive to the development of the situation and will respect the recommendations of the health and government authorities.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Do they really mean promiscuity as opposed to proximity?!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Current Les Arcs state of play: https://en.lesarcs.com/news/faq-about-covid-19.html
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Villz, You'd like to think so - Unless they know something we don't!!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Situation actuelle à La Plagne
Point au 13/03/2020 à 15h50

Suite à la déclaration de M. le Président de la République et à l’évolution de l’état sanitaire lié au COVID19, voici un état de la situation à ce jour sur la station de La Plagne.

La station de La Plagne est ouverte, enneigée et maintient l'accueil de sa clientèle.

Vous trouverez ci-dessous les réponses à toutes vos interrogations :

La station est-elle ouverte ?

Oui, La Plagne maintient son activité. En coordination avec l'ensemble des acteurs de la station, La Plagne met tout en œuvre pour assurer l'accueil, le bien-être et la sécurité des vacanciers, dans le respect des consignes gouvernementales. A ce jour, les dates d'ouverture de la station restent inchangées.

Le domaine skiable est-il ouvert ?

A date, il n'y a pas de restriction d’ouverture du domaine skiable.

Les cours des écoles de ski sont-ils maintenus ?

Les écoles de ski maintiennent les cours, pour toutes les classes d'âge.

Les commerces sont-ils ouverts ?

À ce jour, aucune fermeture n'a été signalée sur le territoire de La Plagne.

Les navettes gratuites inter-stations fonctionnent-elles ?

Oui, ce service est bien assuré.

Les événements de la station sont-ils maintenus ?

Seules les animations dont l'organisation respecte les directives gouvernementales communiquées ce jour seront maintenues.

Les crèches et garderie en station sont-elles ouvertes ?

Suite à l'allocution et aux consignes du président de la République ce jeudi soir, crèches et garderies seront fermées dès ce lundi 16 mars.

Des cas de Coronavirus ont-ils été détectés à La Plagne ?

A ce jour, il n’y a aucun cas de Coronavirus avéré sur le territoire de La Plagne.

Retrouvez toutes les informations concernant l'évolution de la situation à l'échelle nationale sur le site du gouvernement.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
French resorts to stay open
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SatsumasRock wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:
SatsumasRock wrote:
rutlandchris wrote:
Would closure of the resort not be classed as a significant change to your holiday - if you have booked with a tour operator? You could therefore move it or get refund

This is literally the first ski holiday that we haven’t booked a package with a tour operator. We’ve paid for flights and accommodation separately. Off to check out insurance policy with crossed fingers now…..

The money is sunk cost anyway. No one likes to be down but unless you were hoping to use the refund for a replacement holiday you are no worse off, and probably better off if anything you have booked is cancellable

That logic doesn’t make sense. If I’d bought goods for a few grand but I didn’t receive them, I wouldn’t shrug it off as ‘sunk cost’. I personally don’t have enough cash lying around to just shrug and write it off.

Anyway, nothing has been decided yet and I haven’t checked my insurance small print yet.

Im not saying you would shrug it off but it is a sunk cost. You had the money and bought a holiday with it so you didn't have the money any more.
You are no worse off...it just feels that way.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
well, will just be hoping for a last minute week in april, based on several assumptions
that Tignes has not been closed by then

that any tour operator remains in business AND is willing to risk organising ski holidays that could be cancelled last minute (as mine to Switzerland has just been cancelled)
That the snow is worth the effort ,thus Tignes is (again!) top choice!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
https://www.francebleu.fr/infos/economie-social/malgre-le-coronavirus-il-n-y-aucune-station-de-ski-francaise-qui-ne-ferme-pour-l-instant-1584113459?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Useful stuff. Thanks all.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If the worst should happen. Any recommendations for best places to hire touring kit near Les Menuires or PdS (we're in a van so flexible)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This is a logical decision - no more reason why French ski resorts should close than why London tourist attractions should close. Probably some foreign visitors will stay away from both. And their decision is logical too - I wouldn't sit in an airport and travel to a hotel in the French Alps right now but neither would I travel to a holiday hotel anywhere else.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
In the Pyrénées, apparently Baqueira had voted this morning to remain open, but someone (at the top?) made a last minute executive decision this afternoon to close the resort.

Somehow, I suspect the same thing is going to happen to resorts in the French Alps, although each resort will feel the risks are minimal and they should remain open, at some point, someone (Macron?) will make the executive decision to close the French Alps to tourism.

I was looking forward to an end of season trip to the PdS, so I'm pretty peeved. I don't even think this is going to blow over in time for a last minute re-opening.

Well done, and best wishes to anyone managing to get some skiing done before the 'right decision' is made. Sad

For folk travelling out this weekend, may your lift passes end up being fully utilised. If you haven't booked yet, make sure your insurance policy covers 'closure due to pandemic' (act of god?).
latest report
Swiss side of PDS closing tomorrow.
snow report
Alpe Dhuez open not only that offering the ability to book and cancel with full refund.

Just read on their faceplant page.
snow report
Val Thorens, Les Menuires remain open. I guess the same applies to the rest of the 3V.
snow conditions
Good to see some common sense from the French amid pointless panic and knee jerking. They will get a lot of business now as everyone else is shut.
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
Oleski wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
Can’t believe France resorts won’t also close next week following the decisions from Italy, Austria and Switzerland

Jealous? Toofy Grin

I just it find it hard to believe France will not act given the decisions made around them.
t

Why should French resorts follow what essentially is economical suicide, esp for smaller lower resorts who suffer enough already from warmer winter?

People who are vulnerable will stay away, everyone else will have good time. Sensible measurws like limiting bubble and cable car capacity will be brought in, skiing as such is no more conducive to speeding viruses than cycling in the park.
snow conditions
Oleski wrote:
Good to see some common sense from the French amid pointless panic and knee jerking. They will get a lot of business now as everyone else is shut.

I think closure or remaining open can be as much the result of rational decision making as panic. China got it's outbreak under control with very heavy measures but it certainly does not currently look pointless. At the worse it has bought them time at best it might have prevented a collapse of the economy and many deaths.
snow conditions
T Bar wrote:
Oleski wrote:

I think closure or remaining open can be as much the result of rational decision making as panic. China got it's outbreak under control with very heavy measures but it certainly does not currently look pointless. At the worse it has bought them time at best it might have prevented a collapse of the economy and many deaths.

China situation was very different - they had a clear epicentre and needed to contain it as much as possible. In Europe there is no epicentre, the virus is in the wild and there is no stopping it now, so inflicting economical damage on top is helping no one.
snow report
Just seen this on a facebook group...

https://lenews.ch/2020/03/13/coronavirus-swiss-government-locks-down-nation/?fbclid=IwAR3OiQSrnbG1TQNbNyEj6ttBpKXLfsZrRM3nQRvRBnTSXGjfGes-KAPllho

I need to take my daughter to the GVA Monday. How are Snowheads reading my chances?

CG
ski holidays
@Charliegolf, well presumably, the 'french side' of GVA is unaffected - for destinations in France.
snow report
Better get out early tomorrow and ski wink No sign of closure here as far as I know. Intend to get over to Alpe D'huez as well. Should be very quiet.
snow conditions
crosbie wrote:
@Charliegolf, well presumably, the 'french side' of GVA is unaffected - for destinations in France.

I am new to this, so assumed, 'crossing into CH' is a reality to get to the French side at GVA?
ski holidays
Commune Les Deux Alpes 5h.

Communiqué de Deux Alpes Loisirs les remontées mécaniques de la station des 2 Alpes

Suite aux annonces gouvernementales d'hier soir concernant le Coronavirus - COVID 19, nous vous confirmons qu'à ce jour le domaine skiable des Deux Alpes reste ouvert dans son intégralité.

Nous suivons les directives gouvernementales et préfectorales avec attention. Aucune restriction n'a été transmise à date par les autorités nous amenant à restreindre le fonctionnement de nos installations.

Nous vous tiendrons informés si la situation venait à évoluer
latest report
Oleski wrote:

I don’t doubt that they will get additional business. But the French showing more common sense than the Swiss is not a statement I think you’d get much support for. The Swiss are about as measured as they come. Perhaps the French are just much smarter than everyone else, although somehow I doubt it...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oleski wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
Oleski wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
Can’t believe France resorts won’t also close next week following the decisions from Italy, Austria and Switzerland

Jealous? Toofy Grin

I just it find it hard to believe France will not act given the decisions made around them.
t

Why should French resorts follow what essentially is economical suicide, esp for smaller lower resorts who suffer enough already from warmer winter?

People who are vulnerable will stay away, everyone else will have good time. Sensible measurws like limiting bubble and cable car capacity will be brought in, skiing as such is no more conducive to speeding viruses than cycling in the park.

It shouldn’t be for the resorts to decide. I agree that it’s suicide for them. It should be a federal decision based on what’s right for the interests of the country. That’s what other countries have done.
snow report
@Charliegolf, sorry, link is in German but I think the site that you have linked has missed out a key bit in that this is special measures applying only to Italy and the border with Tessin, and even then cross-border workers and transit though are allowed.
https://www.nzz.ch/schweiz/coronavirus-bundesrat-schraenkt-das-oeffentliche-leben-stark-ein-ld.1546356

Relevant bit through Google Translate (my bold):
Quote:
In the fight against the epidemic, the Federal Council is introducing border controls at all internal borders.
Special controls apply to Italy.
Swiss nationals and people with a residence permit may enter the country. While tourists are prohibited from entering the country, the approximately 60,000 cross-border commuters can continue to work in Switzerland. However, due to the burden on the Ticino economy, for example in tourism, the Federal Council expects cross-border commuters to decline.

According to Justice Minister Keller-Sutter, these measures were intended to prevent Italians from being treated in Swiss hospitals. Both the Schengen Agreement and the Agreement on the Free Movement of Persons would leave scope for these measures. The transit traffic remains open. Goods may also continue to be delivered to Switzerland.

Certainly, the Basel border with Germany was open with no restriction or additional checks this afternoon.
ski holidays
Quote:

Perhaps the French are just much smarter than everyone else, although somehow I doubt it...

But the UK hasn't closed its tourist attractions either?
snow report
Charliegolf wrote:
I am new to this, so assumed, 'crossing into CH' is a reality to get to the French side at GVA?

The 'french side' of GVA is precisely to avoid entry to CH, so yes, as long as you're scrupulously careful in following the signs (pedestrian or car) you can land in GVA and travel to the French Alps without having stepped foot in CH.

No doubt with Switzerland closed to non-Swiss, it will be made extra-clear.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 13-03-20 21:51; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:

No doubt with Switzerland closed to non-Swiss, it will be made extra-clear.

Switzerland is not (or not currently) closed to non-Swiss. There are restrictions on the Italian border and they have said that checks will be scaled up at the French and German borders but this hadn‘t yet started on the German border here this afternoon. I don‘t think you‘ll have any issues entering at Geneva from France.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 13-03-20 21:51; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@crosbie, and others... thanks for the clarification.
ski holidays
Quote:

If I’d bought goods for a few grand but I didn’t receive them, I wouldn’t shrug it off as ‘sunk cost’. I personally don’t have enough cash lying around to just shrug and write it off

Regarding something as "sunk costs" doesn't imply that you can "shrug it off", and it doesn't matter. What it means is that it's sunk - gone. So if you are appraising the investment of funds in a project - say you've bought a house, spent money on it and then discovered a huge structural problem, you have to start from scratch - consider the "new" money you need to spend, against the benefit you'll get. The fact that you're spent money you can ill afford (and maybe borrowed) doesn't come into it. No point throwing good money after bad. Saying it's "sunk costs" isn't belittling your annoyance or your loss.
latest report
Quote:

The 'french side' of GVA is precisely to avoid entry to CH, so yes, as long as you're scrupulously careful in following the signs (pedestrian or car) you can land in GVA and travel to the French Alps without having stepped foot in CH.

It is not possible to land on an international flight and avoid going through Switzerland. It may be possible on internal French flights, but on an international one you go through Swiss passport control and customs before turning left, go up the stairs and through French Passport control and customs before entering France.
latest report
This little clip comes to mind

http://youtube.com/v/100X1R2fkKA
snow report
Link from an official Swiss site describing the current situation with entry restrictions into Switzerland from the Bundesamst für Gesundheit (official site of the Swiss Federal Office of Public Health).
https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/de/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pandemien/aktuelle-ausbrueche-epidemien/novel-cov/massnahmen-des-bundes.html#-402269208

Here it is clearly stated:
Quote:

People from Italy will not be allowed to enter Switzerland.

Persons from Italy are denied entry to Switzerland. Exceptions are possible, for example for people who live or work in Switzerland. Anyone wishing to enter despite a ban on entry must demonstrate that one of the exceptions has been met.

No mention is made of restrictions for France or the border with France (or Germany).
ski holidays
Quote:

It is not possible to land on an international flight and avoid going through Switzerland.

Well, actually, it is, but it's a HUGE faff and you can't pick up baggage. I've met visitors who have no entry papers for Switzerland, having got them special permission from the local mairie, but it shouldn't be necessary in your case, CG. It is also possible to drive from the car park on the French side, into France, without going on Swiss roads but that's a huge faff too - you would only need to do that if you don't have entry papers to Switzerland. When I did it I just took a chance and drove through the border at Ferney (before going under the runway) and nobody looked at our passports., If they had I'd have turned round and driven the long way round. But you shouldn't need to do that - just use the international (Swiss) side which makes everything easier.
latest report
@pam w, how do you avoid Swiss passport control?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy