Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Will French Alps Close Today / Weekend?

Poster: A snowHead
Ste Foy going for one last ski , shuts this afternoon at 5pm .
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
brokenbetty wrote:

I'm down by...the original home flight, the new flight, the accomodation, a week of morning lessons, a day's guiding and the return transfer.

God knows if I'll get any of this money back, but I'd rather be home than by myself in a resort with no lifts and no restaurants

Just as an example, isn’t anyone considering staying the week? Supermarkets will still be open (people do live there year round). It’s still lovely to be in the mountains, do some snow-shoeing, try some cross country skiing, or ski touring? Just wondering what I would do if ‘stuck’
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Problem is the shops are not open to hire touring kit or snowshoes etc if you don't already have them with you.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
iainm wrote:
davidof wrote:
All local (Grenoble) resorts staying open to Sunday evening unless they receive an order to close during the night.

That seems strange - surely they've already had an order to close by midnight tonight?

Les 7 Laux, Allevard, Chamrousse have gone back on their decision to open and are now closed until next year, at the earliest. Decision taken at 8.30am

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 15-03-20 9:01; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Or even buy them. I have a spare pair of snowshoes. 250€ Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The chairs are moving here. So I expect we will open today.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd love to stay in the mountains and sit out the pandemic here rather than at home, but we are in Austria and being kicked out of accommodation - had a place booked from yesterday for 2 weeks - we have to leave tomorrow Sad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
belette wrote:
Problem is the shops are not open to hire touring kit or snowshoes etc if you don't already have them with you.

I would think something is open, could be opened as the owners live there or nearby. This is what happens for summer skiing on the glaciers.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nowt working here - just waiting for a friend to turn up who is hoping to but some tech boots this morning.

Interesting point about will the shops be open ?

Think I might have a few others touching base with me as most I know are going to sit it out here rather than the UK that said quite a few are going back to the UK.

Beaut morning !!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski shops are probably rated "non-essential" right now!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Themasterpiece wrote:
belette wrote:

I would think something is open, could be opened as the owners live there or nearby. This is what happens for summer skiing on the glaciers.

All non essential shops are supposed to be closed
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've just been told we are in fact not opening today after all. The lifts are not running now, I can see that from mine Crying or Very sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Claude B wrote:
I've just been told we are in fact not opening today after all. The lifts are not running now, I can see that from mine Crying or Very sad

Hope they got everyone off the lifts. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
KenX wrote:

But reckon they'll need to be open for people to bring back their rental kit!

And what about the likes of UCPCA and Club Merdre ??
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Obviously a very different situation in France that I haven’t appreciated as everything is still open here in Sweden.
snow report
Aloe d Huez lifts running
snow conditions
Can't decide between going for a walk in Les Menuires and hiking up a piste with our skis to to a bit of sliding. I can see a bumps run so at least that would give slightly more ski time for the effort Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Better jump in the car
ski holidays
Risoul / Vars are fully operational today (we are there). A couple of non essential lifts operating shorter hours due to the elections.
ski holidays
davidof wrote:

maybe to get staff up the mountain to do the final closing down pack away process
latest report
Is anyone worried about getting flights back to the UK and subsequent quarantines?
snow report
Seems likely that the France lockdown will go the way of Spain and Italy.
snow conditions
If touring “in resort” beware of insurance issues as the mountain is probably classed as “closed” hence you may not be insured.
I feel very sorry for everyone in the mountains, the businesses, their staff and the punters.
Have a safe trip home.
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
KenX wrote:

Fair point Very Happy
ski holidays
JackSkier wrote:
I am personally seeking the insurance route first. I have already been offered a refund, or rebook for next year. But, I feel it is my duty to try and claim on my insurance. The landlady in question is independent, and I am sure will be hit hard by the crisis. I think we should try and protect the local businesses.

Good on you, I’ve already contacted my hotel in Les Gets and offered to carry my booking forward to the summer (we’ll be in Morzine for 2 weeks but happy to swap hotels for 4 nights).
snow report
Schuss in Boots wrote:
JackSkier wrote:
I am personally seeking the insurance route first. I have already been offered a refund, or rebook for next year. But, I feel it is my duty to try and claim on my insurance. The landlady in question is independent, and I am sure will be hit hard by the crisis. I think we should try and protect the local businesses.

chocksaway wrote:
There are no words. Just hugged a number of business owners who know they are going to fold.

Thank you both for thinking of the small business owners first. Very Happy

Please, please everyone, try your insurance company first. Yes, they will try to wriggle out of it, that’s what they do but if you are covered on your policy, please push them and not the small business owners.

Whilst you guys are all in a horrible position and stand to lose your ski holiday and possibly money, please remember that a number of us are now facing the very real possibility that we will lose our business, our livelihoods and the roof over our heads. Sad

Hounding your insurance company will be a massive, massive help to us.

Excellent post, I’m really sorry for the situation you and thousands of other small business owners across the Alps that have welcomed and looked after us for years on end found themselves in.
ski holidays
Mother hucker wrote:
davidof wrote:

maybe to get staff up the mountain to do the final closing down pack away process

maybe same at les 7 Laux, open for people who already have tickets but the lift pass office is closed (non essential shop) so you can't just pitch up and ski.
snow report
I've seen something saying all Oisans resorts closed. La Grave open I believe.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Avoriaz appear to be running a limited number of lifts for skiers in Super Morzine and Lindarets (lifts and runs showing as open on their website)
latest report
KenX wrote:
Weathercam wrote:
KenX wrote:

Fair point Very Happy

Easy workaround, they just need to sell a few fags.
snow report
Anyone got any info as to whether Altibus transfers back to Geneva are still running ?
ski holidays
Weren't they.all booked to go on strike for a while anyway?
snow report
Yup, would seem the Deep South is still skiing.....

https://www.risoul.com/webcams.html
ski holidays
Early last week our daughter who should have gone to Cervinia with Club Med on 28th was offered two French locations, a refund or moving it all to next year. They had already decided that they weren’t going to go anywhere, so would not opt for different French location. I advised her to take the money now as who knows where all these operators will end up. Just ring fence it.
latest report
eblunt wrote:
Anyone got any info as to whether Altibus transfers back to Geneva are still running ?

They certainly were as of last night, Ispoke to someone in person about midnight and booked a place for today (although I later cancelled, it seemed solid on the Altibus side)
snow report
It's a bit like being on am episode of Bullseye.

Come.amd have a look at what you would have won.....

https://www.valthorens.com/en/webcam/livecam-les-2-lacs
snow conditions
andy from embsay wrote:
Avoriaz appear to be running a limited number of lifts for skiers in Super Morzine and Lindarets (lifts and runs showing as open on their website)

Super Morzine lift is running and I see skis on the outside of cars
ski holidays
Themasterpiece wrote:

Just as an example, isn’t anyone considering staying the week? Supermarkets will still be open (people do live there year round). It’s still lovely to be in the mountains, do some snow-shoeing, try some cross country skiing, or ski touring? Just wondering what I would do if ‘stuck’

I'm by myself. The rest of the party aren't now coming out. So no, while the mountains are beautiful I'd rather be at home with my husband than walking by myself and cooking and eating alone every night.

Also if I go home I can ask work if I can cut my holiday short and take it later this year instead.
snow report
This is really sad for everyone involved. Locals who rely on the ski season as the main part of their year; holidayer's who love the sport and will miss out; people who will now be in lock down quarantine. The best thing eveyone can do is re-book for next year and support the people affected.
snow report
Ski shops have signs saying open for return of equipment only.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy