Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Will French Alps Close Today / Weekend?

Poster: A snowHead
Watching a piste basher still working hard up above Tignes. Someone tell him there’s an iceberg ahead...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
boredsurfin wrote:
inghams announced on Facebook ALL French resorts will be closed now indefinitely.

Morzine officially closed according to their insta story

https://www.instagram.com/stories/morzineofficiel
https://www.morzine-avoriaz.com/info-coronavirus.html

Following the government's announcement this evening, the Morzine ski area as well as the restaurants and bars will be closed from Sunday, March 15. Please contact us by email at info@morzine-avoriaz.com for any questions.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 14-03-20 22:23; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
France have announced that they are closing all non essential public places. If you are planning on travelling to France tomorrow, I would be reconsidering.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It’s so irresponsible of the French resorts to paint a picture that “all is fine” and then this weekend so many people decide to continue to travel to resort and then the inevitable happens .... I think now the clear message globally is, dont travel anywhere ... and as someone in the travel business this is heart breaking, but we will come back stronger as we always have ... but for now the solution is patience.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
charlieferrari wrote:
Watching a piste basher still working hard up above Tignes. Someone tell him there’s an iceberg ahead...

Ditto over the hill in Val d, but I am resigned to convincing eurotunnel to change our return booking, or having a walking holiday in Val D.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Alex A, I’d blame the government not the resorts. Macron could have called this on Thursday.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boredsurfin wrote:
inghams on Facebook
This evening, the French authorities have confirmed they will be closing all the ski lifts for the rest of
the season, effective 15 March, despite assurances from the ski resorts themselves they would stay
open.
If you are due to travel to France tomorrow, please do not go to the airport.
If you are currently in one of these resorts, your local rep will be in touch with further updates.
If you are due to travel there this winter we will contact you in the coming days.
https://www.inghams.co.uk/travel-advice/coronavirus
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
alasdair.graham wrote:
klwood wrote:
In case anyone is booked on BA - you can now re book without change fee or get a voucher for the value of your flights to use within 12 months for all existing flights booked to travel between now and 31st of May 2020

As writing is on the wall for our Easter trip we are going to get a voucher for our ba flight and then book for next Easter once they release these flights (or think about booking half term from Heathrow as those flights are so much cheaper than Gatwick although it’s a big pita as we live 5 minutes from Gatwick)

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/flights-and-holidays/flights/book-with-confidence

Very sad for all you that are out/missing out on trips. BA could well go under as a result of this so take a refund if you can.

ATM they are only offering vouchers, we don’t have to make a decision until 24hr before flight departure so 4th of April for us. If they offer refund before then will take it, if not we will take the voucher and hope they are still around next year.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nadenoodlee wrote:
@Alex A, I’d blame the government not the resorts. Macron could have called this on Thursday.

His banker mates probably had positions to unwind on Friday before a total shutdown.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Le Ski website claims that their resorts are all open and their flights tomorrow will take off as planned. Very confusing.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Feckin bonkers party going on now @1420 Serre Che
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm sat here, in the UK feeling saddened by all of this. Speaking as someone who should be in Austria tonight I feel your pain. You took the difficult decision, many with families, to travel to France today in the distant hope you would get your ski fix. I guess many of you thought this may happen but went anyway, I salute you all.

I pray you can all get back home as swiftly as possible. Good luck to you all.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What are people doing with their easyjet flights. I see they are offering to change them and wave the fee but I don't need any flights until January 2021 & they are not released yet
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jonny996 wrote:
What are people doing with their easyjet flights. I see they are offering to change them and wave the fee but I don't need any flights until January 2021 & they are not released yet
I’ve moved mine as late in October as I can. Sticking with a flight to Geneva and will either ski at a glacier if open or do a city and walking holiday split between Chamonix and Geneva itself. Given I must have flown to there at last 50 times I’ve never actually seen the town itself.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jehu wrote:
Le Ski website claims that their resorts are all open and their flights tomorrow will take off as planned. Very confusing.

This is who we were travelling with. I managed to speak to them about 9:15pm. They had just heard the lifts were closing. I have taken that message as they were trying to do the best for the people in their chalets but now they told me not to travel to the airport. I am expecting a call back. They should refund in full.....
ski holidays
@Nadenoodlee, yeah true .. it’s all so saddening and the UK I fear is being just as bad.. but maybe I’m wrong.

What I do know however, is that there are far worse issues here than us all sliding down slopes .. like millions of people getting made redundant
latest report
davidof wrote:
All local (Grenoble) resorts staying open to Sunday evening unless they receive an order to close during the night.

That seems strange - surely they've already had an order to close by midnight tonight?
snow report
The Three Valleys just announced that the whole domain will be closed from tomorrow on: https://st-martin-belleville.com/en/coronavirus?fbclid=IwAR3-aIuMan6Jrd34N9pJ0AEXfEu76fDqjbnJglvotozFsC9cvOXJaW2sUKw

More info to come soon I guess.
snow conditions
Wow. Le Ski clearly think it's better to lose any goodwill than lose money by being pragmatic. Hard decision!
ski holidays
News from Chamonix, all closed.

https://www.chamonix.com/remontees-mecaniques,88,fr.html
ski holidays
Open tomorrow here from what I'm hearing from an instructor I'm drinking with. I'm skiing with his dad tomorrow
latest report
iainm wrote:
davidof wrote:
All local (Grenoble) resorts staying open to Sunday evening unless they receive an order to close during the night.

That seems strange - surely they've already had an order to close by midnight tonight?

I guess they’re trying to hang onto something/anything no matter how small.

I’m hearing meribel and tignes now closed tomorrow but not the official announcements.
latest report
French mountains on Twitter

As lovers of the French Mountains may know, the French government this evening has ruled that all French ski resorts have to close with immediate effect. We are as sorry as you are and hope that after this is all over, we will see you in the French mountains again next winter!
snow report
I saw a post on Fb earlier stating L2A will be closing. Will post when I can find the blooming thing.
snow conditions
Csb123 wrote:
Wow. Le Ski clearly think it's better to lose any goodwill than lose money by being pragmatic. Hard decision!

I don't think it's that. Give them a chance to process the info. I've never used them before, would have been our first trip with them but heard good things. Can't be easy for anyone connected to this right now.
ski holidays
Michelle63 wrote:
I saw a post on Fb earlier stating L2A will be closing. Will post when I can find the blooming thing.

Official announcement thus far says open tomorrow (Sunday) then closing tomorrow night.
ski holidays
I know there is a lot going on but you have to question the French gov on this. Clearly knew what they were doing get a load of people to fly out on sat. Feel for all those who arrived today.
snow conditions
Tignes closing:

FAQ CORONAVIRUS

Mise à jour du 14/03/2020

Conformément aux dernières directives annoncées ce samedi 14 mars par Monsieur le Premier Ministre Edouard Philippe, la station de Tignes se voit contrainte de fermer son domaine skiable ainsi que ses bars, restaurants et établissements de nuit dès minuit. Nous sommes sincèrement désolés pour les vacanciers qui avaient choisi notre destination et espérons qu’ils continueront de nous accorder leur confiance. Prenez soin de vous et de vos proches, tous mobilisés et responsables face à la situation sanitaire à laquelle nous faisons face aujourd’hui.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I stand corrected, they do say that they are open until April 25th at the moment. . However all except banks, pharmacies, supermarkets should be be closed.
latest report
@Alex A, Absolutely agree, 1st world problems for us sliders. I feel sorry for all of the thousands of staff spread out over the Alpine chain who don't have work after this weekend.Very challenging times ahead for us all one way and another, the stock market free fall will affect everything and everybody without stating the bleeding obvious. Next season will be very interesting in many ways. Stay safe everybody and get ready for the roller coaster, going to be a rocky ride
snow report
iainm wrote:
davidof wrote:

That is what the PM implied. I'd imagine the prefect will intervene.
ski holidays
blacksheep wrote:
Csb123 wrote:

I don't think it's that. Give them a chance to process the info. I've never used them before, would have been our first trip with them but heard good things. Can't be easy for anyone connected to this right now.

Yes, i commented before seeing your better informed post. They'd do well to update their website though.
ski holidays
I think the next issue is the collapse of ski operators and tour operators whose revenues will be damaged ( possibly terminally)by the shortened season. They will have to bear the cost of hiring planes to repatriate customers which will take a couple of days. If you are in resort I would be looking for touring skis as it might be while before you get home.
snow report
That’s a bit harsh on the government, the ski areas sell far more lift tickets to locals who drive up rather than tourists who fly!
The piste badgers will have been given their work for the night before the announcement but you may still see them turning as they still need to work so that the personnel can dismantle the ski area just as they would at the end of any season, we are looking at 4 days work this week and we are a tiny area. At least it will be some skiing!
snow conditions
My brother literally arrived in Tignes this evening as the announcement was being made to close non essential businesses etc
On DIY package of flight, transfer, accom so probably a nightmare to return early as everything geared round a next Saturday departure.
He really only set off because no announcements to close and resorts shouting about being open till 4 May. Insurance wouldn't have covered his disinclination to travel.
French gov know changeover is Sat/Sun ....poor decision making but appreciate ski resorts are only a very small part of a huge decision making process
latest report
Alan1974 wrote:
I'm sat here, in the UK feeling saddened by all of this. Speaking as someone who should be in Austria tonight I feel your pain. You took the difficult decision, many with families, to travel to France today in the distant hope you would get your ski fix. I guess many of you thought this may happen but went anyway, I salute you all.

I pray you can all get back home as swiftly as possible. Good luck to you all.

That’s a lovely message for all of us that now feel daft having travelled. We travelled in hope. I salute you my friend.
snow report
Rats. I have to admit I wasn't expecting something so sudden, especially after the seemingly well planned speech and timescales given by Macron on Thursday. I'm in the southern Alps on a DIY trip until Thursday at the moment, so this throws up a few questions:

1. How will we return ski hire if shops are closed?
2. While we're still in France, are we allowed to go and do some non-skiing sightseeing?
3. What's the likelihood of flights suddenly being stopped?
snow conditions
I am sitting at home very grateful that Grandvalleria announced the closure on Friday otherwise I'd be sat in Soldeu wondering how to get home...
Good luck to everyone out in France now.
snow report
22:05, 14/03/2020

The decision has been made to close the Les Menuires / Saint-Martin-de-Belleville ski area. To comply with government directives, shops and restaurants will also be closing until further notice. If further government action is taken, we will comply as necessary. The different resort teams will be available to offer you help and guidance from tomorrow morning.

https://www.gouvernement.fr/info-coronavirus
latest report
Just back from Alpe d'Huez tonight and feel for everyone who has just arrived in France, or had planned late season trips and also the thousands of resort staff and business owners and their staff.

I saw some comments earlier in the week that resorts were taking precautions to halt the spread of coronavirus. I can only speak for Alpe d'Huez, but I saw no evidence of that anywhere on the mountain or in the shops, bars and restaurants.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy