Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Will French Alps Close Today / Weekend?

Poster: A snowHead
rdsweb wrote:
Quote:

Your description of a Momimette is quite correct but probably hasn't been heard in the average bar since Toulouse Letrec was buying a round in the Moulin Rouge circa 1880.

I know it’s correct cos I used to use it regularly and surely it can’t be as archaic or arcane as you suggest if you’ve heard of it too Very Happy Very Happy
)

Well I know that shag is pipe tobacco but I wouldn't go into an English tobacconist asking for my shag.

I think I've seen the word in molliere btw Happy

rdsweb wrote:

Not only that but have you ever been to Rumilly?

fortunately not, The missus had to attend a dinner at the town hall once, she found the people a little bit prout-prout but they may not have been typical of the locals, just the locals who went to dinner with the mayor. The problem with Rumilly is it is not on the Annecy road and not on the Gorges de Fier so there doesn't seem much reason to go there.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 24-05-20 16:28; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
chocksaway wrote:
One phrase I am hearing less and less is C'est la tournée du Patron!

Might be cos I'm in a resort most of the time not sure if the tradition continues in the countryside.

One particular bar here is very good for that. Every 4th beer or so. Inexpensive too even without locals prices.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Claude B, Good to hear. One of the French bars I used change Patron and it vanished overnight. All he does is palm you off with one of those nasty genepies that come in 5L boxes. Keeps Le Yoof happy as they think they have had a free shot.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france/return-to-the-uk?utm_source=BBC&utm_medium=Display&utm_campaign=Coronavirus-travel
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@rdsweb, momis are still quite popular around Morzine...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Claude B, to be fair, you do rather know the bars, and they know you. A major reason for being out with you of an evening in LDA. snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@achilles, Laughing Laughing I really don't know what you mean
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@under a new name,

Indeed they are!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I worked in Doussard for a few summers I noted that the Perroquet & Tomate were still the staples for the beauf.
Here's a good reference: https://www.unedeplus.fr/2013/07/01/quelques-noms-de-cocktail-a-base-de-pastis/
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@WindOfChange, Just the beauf? Bit harsh
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@rdsweb, TBF, also also a few Chti and Ploucs too.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@WindOfChange, Can’t be really that many of them at Doussard, surely? You do surprise me Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Compagnie du Mont Blanc announced its summer opening dates:

Aiguille du Midi

- Ouverture les WE du 30 Mai au 1er Juin inclus et du 6 et 7 Juin

- Ouverture tous les jours en continu à partir du 13 juin

- Panoramique Mont Blanc : pas de prévision d’ouverture pour le moment
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Any word on how many people will be allowed in the cable cars, @under a new name?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@pam w, The aiguille du midi cable car is 30 pax instead of 80. Montenvers train is 80 instead of 200.
snow conditions
Summer opening dates for 2 Alpes. French version as English has less info https://ete.les2alpes.com/fr/le-domaine-skiable-en-ete.html

Quote:
Le domaine du ski d'été aux 2 Alpes c'est de 7h à 12h30 chaque jour !
Avec ouverture partielle Slalom et Snowpark :
→ SKIEURS PRO : du 6 au 19 juin 2020
→ GRAND PUBLIC : le WE du 6 et 7 juin 2020 & le WE du 13 et 14 juin2020.
Avec ouverture en continu, Pour tous, sur l'ensemble du glacier : à partir du samedi 20 juin 2020.
Fermeture du glacier selon l'enneigement.

Hopefully the mayor stands by his promise of making the opening weekend free.
ski holidays
and looks like bars and restaurants OPEN NEXT WEEK WOOOOHOOOOO Going green Going green
latest report
Yes great news. Although talking to my mate who runs my local bar, he's worried about maintaining social distancing at 1am Laughing I'll just be happy to have a cold beer on the terrace after a hike. Will try to support some of the restaurants too Very Happy
ski holidays
@Claude B, I suspect we'll be endeavouring to make up for lost time ... not quite sure how it will work but at least sunny weather forecast..
snow report
@under a new name, Momies will be off limits if trying to make up for lost time. Go hard or stay home.
ski holidays
@WindOfChange, isn’t that usually the result of, “OK, OK, Just the one little one then...”
snow conditions
@under a new name, Laughing
snow report
@under a new name, typical and we go back to UK June 6th rolling eyes

Though, when I suggested going for a drink Friday week friends, were not too sure about getting too close to other people, just that our local is quite tiny and the terrace is not massive.

And weather down this way looks seriously grim most of next week, even today what was a clear sky is now nigh on 90% overcast Sad
snow report
@Weathercam, how odd. Chamonix does not seem to have been infected with "the fear" - at least, not anyone I talk to...
ski holidays
@under a new name, some of our friends are more "vulnerable" and want to still be careful
snow report
Love it, one of the bars here is opening at midnight until 2am Laughing

Personally I'll wait until about 5 tomorrow afternoon.
ski holidays
@Weathercam, that's fair enough.

@Claude B, Love that!
snow report
@Claude B, Laughing

Mmmmmm some of our bars open up here today but having second thoughts about going for a drink tonight as thunderstorms look likely and don't fancy drinking inside, and our local is tiny, it's called "Le Petit"!

This could well be the new mentality of choosing when and where to go out, being more selective based on social distancing etc

Plus going back to the UK Saturday, and don't really want to chance it, which in itself is bollox I know, as per "the fear" rolling eyes
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Weathercam, we seem to be in the cycle of daily storms late afternoon unfortunately. I'm hoping to sit on the terrace but will play it by ear.
latest report
Some advice: I've been onto the French Embassy in London website and I think I understand what documentation I need to drive through France to our résidence secondaire in Switzerland (although while there's a specific Attestation for returning to the UK, there isn't one for the outbound trip to a second home). At the moment, however, my interpretation is that we couldn't stay overnight in France (which is what we usually do both ways, given we aren't in any hurry). I just wondered if this was a correct analysis and thought I'd ask those of you who are resident in France and probably have a much better grasp of the language/culture than me?

We're not planning to go out until August, by which time I daresay a lot will have changed. Including it being 50:50 that no one will want any UK people in their country anyway and being outside the EU, Brits won't be welcome at all, even in transit.
ski holidays
@LaForet, I think its being relaxed a bit more now between France and Switzerland.
A couple of weeks back they were wearing gloves & masks, and stopped everyone and went thru the paperwork.
Last week, the were wearing shirt-sleeves and sunnies, and just waved me thru without checking a thing.
ski holidays
When for a walk this morning and took in various parts of the "village" to see what bars / restos might be opening, and a hive of activity going on!

Hopefully looks like the forecast is wrong and we might be clear of storms and plan is to go to Le Petit where Olivier this morning was busy getting ready, that said there's this place just along in case the heavens do open, which I think might be under new ownership as the last lot were never this pro-active, note the partitioned off areas etc and he just opens up the sun shades to cover the whole area.

Other people I know said they were aiming for the last weekend in June, but almost sad to be leaving as here will be good whilst it's quiet before July etc

And the meadows at the moment are truly stunning.

latest report
Quote:

Well I know that shag is pipe tobacco but I wouldn't go into an English tobacconist asking for my shag

You never went to the famous Shag Cafe in Grenoble then?
snow conditions
It was heaving on the terrace of my local by 6. Probably 60% Brits. Social distancing not really respected at all. I would have left about then but a french neighbour arrived and I chatted with him for an hour.
snow report
Quote:

I chatted with him for an hour.

Surely your neighbour doesn't have Covid-19 anyway Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Oh well had to be done Laughing

Managed to avoid the rain which was definitely going on around judging by the menacing sky later on and confirmed by the rain radar.

We have the outside terrace reserved for us this coming Friday Cool

Drove pass another popular bar, in fact where we were and everyone else it seemed was partying on that crazy last night of the season back in March, and on the ground floor there was a big shindig going on!
snow conditions
We had a few pints in a friend’s bar, which was very pleasant and then went for dinner. Was hot so no-one inside bar, not convinced distancing will hold unless things deteriorate, masques a joke. Staff all wearing them, but as usual, completely ineffectually.

Restaurant totally normal, fewer tables but 1m separation doesn’t make that much difference.

Rule against hanging at bar completely ignored.
latest report
JamesHJ wrote:
Quote:

Well I know that shag is pipe tobacco but I wouldn't go into an English tobacconist asking for my shag

I have a colleague who enjoys shagging in the room out the back at that cafe, he's pretty good at it. He's even done a shagging week in a gite in the Drome. Anyway he always finds willing women up for a bit of a shag. Sesseynet is a bit far for me, shagging or not.
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
JamesHJ wrote:
Quote:

I have a colleague who enjoys shagging in the room out the back at that cafe, he's pretty good at it. He's even done a shagging week in a gite in the Drome. Anyway he always finds willing women up for a bit of a shag. Sesseynet is a bit far for me, shagging or not.

Is it actually a 'special interests' place then? I always just thought it was a bad attempt at a Frenglish name! Everyday a school day...
snow report
Off thread again - sorry. What's a SUP called in French? Just came up in a French lesson....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy