Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beginner looking for assistance

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello Snowheads, I am glad to be here. I am hoping you can help me figure something out. Last weekend I went skiing on some beginner slopes on Mt. Wachusett, MA. Had a great time and was feeling like I was improving given that this was the 4th time on skis. The conditions were good.

Yesterday I was spring skiing at Killington, VT and it was very slushy. I fell a couple of times, popped out of my bindings and ran my skis over some dirt too. VERY SLUSHY by the end of the day is it was 60 degrees.

Here is the issue. I was feeling like my skis were pushing me involuntarily into the snowplow positions. The questions is:

1. Did the conditions contribute to this?
2. Is there something wrong with my skis? Head Rev 170cm
3. Is it just that my form is wee wee poor and I was putting my skis in the snowplow because I am a beginner and I don't know what I am doing?

I am 6' 240.

Thanks for entertaining my questions.

Matt
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Matt, and welcome to SnowHeads.

Skiing in slush is difficult. The skis don't run well and it's hard to turn. It's very unlikely there's anything wrong with your skis - it was just a tough day.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
telford_mike wrote:
Hi Matt, and welcome to SnowHeads.

Skiing in slush is difficult. The skis don't run well and it's hard to turn. It's very unlikely there's anything wrong with your skis - it was just a tough day.

I agree, there is no correct answer to this one. You were very patient. I would have a pint in my hand.
I think by the sounds of it your bindings did the job and saved you a twisted knee or worse.
Just get back to skiing when conditions are a little improved.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Probably what others have said, lumpy slushy spring snow isn't the easiest to ski on. Quite common to revert to a plough when it gets a little more difficult, something that will gradually change as you ski more.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Matt Dumas, Yup a bad day and as the snow gets wetter and stickier the rules change from driving the nose of the ski to surfing the tails. It is completely counterintuitive.

Welcome to the learning curve. Though I've not tried this, a mate has said that his summer water-skiing is the best practice for spring slush. The reality is we all have the learn the miriad of different skills to suit the miriad of diferent conditions. Some of us love the challenge, others loath it . . . it's your choice wink

There is NO easy solution beyond 'watch', 'learn', practice (fall on face/ass/etc. . . . repeat) . . . get it right . . . fall in love! Embarassed
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Matt Dumas, In slush don't twist (or skid) your skis to turn (F snowplough!).
Make some angles and Carve* it. Great fun. snowHead

(* if you can't, invest in lessons)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
So for those of us who "don't know what the Fxxx a quarterpounder is"...

60 degrees = nearly 16C (phew!!)
240lbs = 108kg
6 ft = 180cm

You're a beginner and conditions were awful, but I'd say you could use longer skis also.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy