Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone been to La Grave?

Poster: A snowHead
@musehead, suspect that is common in the mixed groups. I joined an experienced private group who the guide had skied with for years. I asked about Pan de Redeau and he said only with 1 to 1 or 1 to 2 ratio. Not in a group.

They are doing some more serious stuff over the next couple of days for which another guide is joining - I’m back at work so hoping to see some good action here!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 10-03-20 12:58; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Weathercam wrote:
@BobinCH, did you take the drag up first?

Nope still not been up that drag lift. It was mobbed on Saturday morning and so was a bit of a race to get into the couloirs before they got clogged up. So we just traversed in from P3 both times. And finished with Triffides from where we saw the Sérac fall
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DB wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
Testing a new technical binding design

Was it a touring binding (if so which) and was it the whole heel piece or just the brakes that needed 'modification' ?

Turned out to be a screw on the heel piece that had come loose so easy fix. Good test of his télémark skills Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@BobinCH, sorry I meant in Pelvoux before you started skinning.

And yes that must be the same serac fall/avalanche that you witnessed.

https://www.ledauphine.com/faits-divers-justice/2020/03/10/hautes-alpes-des-accidents-de-ski-et-des-avalanches

I saw the effects of one that fell late in the afternoon, luckily after the lift closed, next day, and the bottom of Vallons resembled a WW1 battlefield as all the trees were broken, as if my shellfire, such was the intensity of the wind created by the avalanche.

Maybe keep an eye on the weather for end of March early April for a return visit if my knee is up to LG and then it's not so busy and mid week!!

Where did you stay in the end ?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It was raining to above P2 by late afternoon today, and everything below turned to cold mashed potato. Managed a lovely Triffides 1 before heading down though snowHead. Last day tomorrow and it's going to be even warmer Confused. At least we had yesterday Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Weathercam, in Pelvoux we took 2 chairs up and then skinned up above the top chair. Stayed at Edelweiss with Costin and his crew - very nice it was too!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Monday saw some fresh snow in La Grave but with a murky forecast the guide plumped for another road trip, this time to Montgenevre in the Milky Way
Time to earn those turns

Sure was quiet

Why is the red algae only on the top rock?

Getting steeper

Top of the couloir was sporting but fun

http://youtube.com/v/GZF8rJIf6vI
Then it got a bit sketchy and he roped us up - here’s the lower section after the rope ran out

http://youtube.com/v/aYeq9gXDGSk
Survived!

Now for the fun stuff

@Horizon exploring the valley

http://youtube.com/v/76bmBF1AFB4
And what a beauty it is!

Kudos to a top guide and crew

Fun 3 days. Will certainly be back!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looks like they left the really hard core stuff until after I left. Hopefully @Horizon will be along to share the story...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BobinCH wrote:
Looks like they left the really hard core stuff until after I left. Hopefully @Horizon will be along to share the story...

Probably in a hut and an early start to get high as possible as FL has been so high these last couple of days, we had a lovely climb up yesterday escaping the Pic Blanc hordes but the descent was pretty grim, temps in the valley were in the 20's yesterday, and lots of big natural slides due to the warm temps.

This is the week to have a guide and go high as possible!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not going to steal his thunder but looks pretty good to me!

latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What fabulous photos.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We ticked off the Glacier de la Meije after a night in the rather grim winter room of the Chatelleret hut. We’d hoped to get up to the Promontoire refuge but had to change plans because of more snow and higher temps than expected. The ski line was amazing, picking our way through séracs right under the north face of la Meije.

Horizon does have some nice pics.

Today was supposed to be a bit more laid back but we did Triffide 2 as a warmup so plus ça change...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Finally getting around to posting some photos. Before I get to the bigger adventure, here's a pic of Arnaud enjoying La Plane in Montgenevre:

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And now for the beginning of the 2-day adventure, which initially had us sleeping at Refuge du Promontoire.

First snag: the draglift wasn't working so we had to skin up in order to ski down the south side. Time to take a scenic pic:

It was very busy down there. Arno is enjoying it:
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
At lunchtime, Arno did some conducting:

snow report
Also at lunchtime, we were treated to a fireworks of avalanches coming from the sun-facing steep slopes (not close to us):

The guides* decided to change plans due to the avy risk- instead of Breche de la Meije, we were to skin up the Glacier de la Selle, and ski down to a different refuge, Chatelleret. Here's Richard on the Glacier de la Selle, with the big slide behind him on the face we had skied a couple of hours earlier (at a safer time):

Then he thought "enough is enough" and he decided to chuck his skis:

It was windy at the top:

By the way, we also did some skiing: here are the two guides showing the way:

*two guides for this trip. Too tricky for just one with a 5-person group
snow report
The refuge looked good on the outside:

Once inside, we made lots of tea:

And behaved in a silly way:
snow report
We left as the moon was setting:

a couple of hours later, the sun was rising behind Refuge Promontoire, where we were initially supposed to sleep:

snow report
Magnifique! Tour de la Meije is now right at the top of my bucket list...
snow report
That’s the way to travel!
latest report
@horizon, mmmmm well jealous as never managed to do that one Sad
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy