Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone been to La Grave?

Poster: A snowHead
I was expecting experiences like this:

Not this Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It is imperative to follow the local tribal traditions
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I thought it was steep?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
WTF he’s skiing backwards down a couloir?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It was mobbed with people but adequate conditions
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Chamois was watching over us in the steeper bits
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Good pix.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sure was fast at the top!

http://youtube.com/v/YhmF8TN9dn0

Faster...

http://youtube.com/v/_lIJkCrLL9U
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There was a bit of skiing too:

ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What's Ali G doing in LG??

snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Skiing?

http://youtube.com/v/FJxxEAiu0A4
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@horizon, ah, I was just trying to decide whether it was actually you having your ear licked. You look as though you were enjoying it. Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle wrote:
@horizon, ah, I was just trying to decide whether it was actually you having your ear licked. You look as though you were enjoying it. Shocked

I've known this chap for 29 years and he chooses to show off his love for me now! In my defence, I did not know what was going on (and there was no actual ear-licking involved Shocked Laughing )
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Then it got a bit more technical

http://youtube.com/v/SFZOMoYxFtQ

http://youtube.com/v/X0uDoMbCRbo

In the Orcieres de Droites

snow report
Warmup completed. Everyone still smiling! What next?
snow conditions
Badass!!!

Thank you for sharing, how does LG compare to Verbier? The snow looked gorgeous.
snow report
Pillows?
snow report
But first Chirouze? The top of this place certainly hides what comes below!

http://youtube.com/v/DDrzAPKc0Oc
snow report
HoneyBunny wrote:
Badass!!!

Thank you for sharing, how does LG compare to Verbier? The snow looked gorgeous.

It’s much wilder. Massive descents from pow at the top to cannonballs at the bottom. Strong legs required!
snow report
Great images! Yeh, Chirouze can kind of sucker you in.........
Off to LG today Very Happy
snow conditions
Top of the notch
ski holidays
Pelvoux - grandiose yesterday! Montgenevre today....
snow conditions
If you're not ski fit then La Grave takes no prisoners.

When we used to go for our "weeks" trip by day 3 we were hobbling down the stairs with stiff legs Laughing

Not too sure my body could cope with a six day trip now rolling eyes
ski holidays
@Weathercam, exactly my experience on my first visit there, except it was day 2 of a long weekend Laughing
ski holidays
@BobinCH, are they all iPhone pics? They have come out very nicely!
snow conditions
Awesome pics, video clips and routes.

How steep is the skiing? (seen reports saying La Vaute is 45 Deg others say 55 Deg Shocked )
ski holidays
@DB, I don't reckon La Voute hits a genuine 45 degrees. I'd say max 42-3. In good snow it's fine. In bad conditions, it's 1000m of no fall squeaky bum skiing.

Nice photos, Bobin. Looks like you have really scored with the conditions.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski wrote:
@BobinCH, are they all iPhone pics? They have come out very nicely!

Mine are but @Horizon does some funny stuff with a huge camera and supercomputer and the results are stunning... Think these are his day 2 from Pelvoux
Couloir écossais

Bob

Pete

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 9-03-20 22:30; edited 1 time in total
latest report
DB wrote:
Awesome pics, video clips and routes.

How steep is the skiing? (seen reports saying La Vaute is 45 Deg others say 55 Deg Shocked )

Don’t know as we did Orcieres droites in the end due to traffic at the Voute rappel. And then Chirouze. There was nothing over 45 degrees but one section near the bottom of Chirouze was very hard packed (rain a few days previously) and we took very carefully. A fall here may have ended very badly!
snow conditions
And this is some wild country. Excuse the bad language but this really shook me up...

http://youtube.com/v/qnRbxju30c4
ski holidays
Good place to have a guide. Otherwise you need some good mountaineering skills. Would have got a bit wet on the Chirouze exit otherwise!

http://youtube.com/v/M-gKIoUsztg
latest report
Great pictures. But it doesn't have to be like that. There are much easier ways to get down. wink And you still get a wee taste of the majesty of the place.
ski holidays
Day 2 was a touring day to Pelvoux in the Écrins National Park. What a place!

Target was Couloir de Rouay. Phyt a couple groups ahead of us so turned to plan B - couloir des Écossais

Bit spicy on the entry

Atmospheric

Pete the guide

Testing a new technical binding design
latest report
@BobinCH, did you take the drag up first?

and

BobinCH wrote:
Good place to have a guide. Otherwise, you need some good mountaineering skills.........

Or just be very lucky when accidentally going past the point of no return and end up doing a road route and manage to get down without the need for a rope Laughing

This was TEN years ago April 10th and as you can see you can still score great conditions, plus it's nowhere near as busy that time of year and mid-week, and we were privileged to be some of the first people to ski a new route, and there was only one way to cross the river back then Laughing

http://youtube.com/v/nC2-_7eafyI
snow report
See yesterday there was an avalanche set off by a serac breaking off.

Les secouristes sont ensuite partis sur deux avalanches, pour des reconnaissances avec le maître-chien. La première à Molines-en-Queyras , à la combe Crose. Aucune victime à signaler. Tout comme dans les Vallons de La Meije. Une avalanche de séracs tombée du Râteau a atteint le bord des vallons classiques, sans faire de victime.

That's why if skiing below there you don't hang around to take pics as per the vid below, and there are quite a few vids of similar avalanches.

http://youtube.com/v/sqhSaMTlqcM
snow conditions
Merde
ski holidays
Loved La Grave last year. However, I stayed with Skiers Lodge on the 1 week guided package - and found the experience quite frustrating. The guide was a super keen American and seemed very experienced, but he was always trying to fire up the stoke (as it were) for skiing mellow powder.

He would always seem to take the less interesting and easier option despite it being a strong group. I found it tiring to keep asking to go on steeper stuff and end up skiing mellow powder through the trees yet again. That's not what I went to La Grave for! In the end I hired a private guide for the day on the last day and skied a couple of the couloirs down to the road with him (not La Voute but 2 other less busy ones in the same area! Pretty sure one of them was Orcieres de Droites as above). That was a great day Smile

I was probably just unlucky with my group/guide that week.
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
Testing a new technical binding design

Was it a touring binding (if so which) and was it the whole heel piece or just the brakes that needed 'modification' ?
latest report
@Weathercam, was that in addition to the one on Saturday at 16:30 - see video above. The debris covered the Vallons tracks

http://youtube.com/v/qnRbxju30c4

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 10-03-20 12:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy