Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wearing ski gear including boots at baggage check to avoid+£££

Poster: A snowHead
A friend has offered use of villa near Malaga, an hours drive to Sierra Nevada ski resorts.
Flights to Malaga are cheap... As long as you don't take luggage...

Anyone have experience of wearing ski gear at baggage etc check... Including...ski boots!!?
I've heard 2nd hand anecdotes of this being done...

Has anyone actually done this- recently??
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think wearing ski boot puts you firmly in the knob category.

Surely £40-60 for bag when you don't have to pay for accommodation isn't going to break the bank?

I can manage for a week with 'premium' carry on, I. E a wheely case and underseat carry on, which includes ski boots.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd love to see the look on the accident investigator's face when he finds a fully clothed and booted skier in amongst the wreckage of the Málaga flight.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I suspect there is good chance you would not be allowed to board wearing ski boots. They could represent a hazard in an emergency evacuation, either delaying your evac while you get them off, or damaging the slide, if still on.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
British airways explicitly mention wearing of ski boots on the plane is not allowed but that’s probably just BA for you.
“ For safety reasons you are not allowed to board the aircraft wearing your ski boots”
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

This, even if it's allowed. I wouldn't want you sitting next to me....
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
But you could easily wear all the rest and put boots in a carry on bag.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
British airways explicitly mention wearing of ski boots on the plane is not allowed but that’s probably just BA for you.
“ For safety reasons you are not allowed to board the aircraft wearing your ski boots”
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
But you could easily wear all the rest and put boots in a carry on bag.

Ding ding ding! Right answer....although I also agree that £40 on luggage is hardly a hardship if you're getting room for free.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I'd love to see the look on the accident investigator's face when he finds a fully clothed and booted skier in amongst the wreckage of the Málaga flight.

Wearing a crash helmet
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I got caught out at Luton airport being overweght ... I thought I could share my extra weight on my sons booking .. but they dint allow that.
I just had to take the boots out of the luggage to get it under 23kg.

I carried the boots through security and the nice ladies at Kurt Geiger gave me a huge red carrier bag to put my Salomon boots in.
Apparently anything you buy in the airport shopping area can be carried onto the flights.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@johnE,

Quote:

Wearing a crash helmet

God Ted, that'd be hilarious. Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lol

Thanks for all your "very helpful," views and opinions folks..

And those people who thought I actually planned to enplane wearing said boots!! rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes

Helmet goggles and parachute. de rigueur dontchaknow.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@MIKEUP, we're used to plenty of stupid questions on Snowheads so we'll take stupid questions at face value unless you show us otherwise Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This is true. Many a time I've blagged a carrier bag from Duty Free to shove my handbag in, as I haven't checked a bag in twenty years, so am technically only allowed my carry on bag. But my handbag contains the typical essentials, purse, passport, phone, Kindle etc so I prefer to have it closer to hand.

Some airports are easier going than others. The guy at Santorini airport gave me three, Faro airport had a flat ban on it.
latest report
I did wear my tele boots for an US internal flight many years ago. Just no room in my hand bag or checked luggage. Also remember someone wearing their plastic mountaineering boots on a transatlantic flight.

Wore my plastic canoe helmet a few times.
latest report
I have worn my ski helmet on the flight before.

The handling agents allowed too many "large" cabin bags onboard so, as our group boarded last, we were asked to put our hand luggage into the hold unless it would fit under the chair in front.

My backpack did fit...but only once I removed the helmet.

Most people found it quite amusing......
snow conditions
I saw someone with their ski boots round their shoulder on a easyjet flight before though I don't think they had any other carry on bags...
snow report
About 10 years ago we skied with a guy in a catered chalet, who was only there for a couple of nights as a tag on to a business trip and he had worn his ski boots on the plane
snow conditions
I saw a bloke in a boarding queue in Zurich airport wearing ski boots. I don't know whether they let him on the plane.
ski holidays
t4tomo wrote:

Surely £40-60 for bag when you don't have to pay for accommodation isn't going to break the bank?

I can manage for a week with 'premium' carry on, I. E a wheely case and underseat carry on, which includes ski boots.
This, I put my ski boots in a wheeled carry on, and I stuff as much ski gear as I can into that. I buy toiletries at the destination, and I wear a pair of jeans and pack tops , extra jeans and undies in the under seat bag. I wear my ski jacket. This usually covers me for a week.
snow report
Quote:

I wear my ski jacket. This usually covers me for a week.

I like the idea that your ski jacket covers you for a week Very Happy
snow report
biddpyat wrote:
...extra jeans...

You take more than one pair? Puzzled
ski holidays
These threads always remind me of a touring trip. The Scottish guy didn't have two of anything except socks. No, not two pairs; a sock for the left foot and a sock for the right foot.
snow conditions
MIKEUP wrote:
A friend has offered use of villa near Malaga, an hours drive to Sierra Nevada ski resorts.
?

maybe is if you have a flying car, but back to the future 2 did not come true. Your looking at 3hrs with traffic
snow report
Corky wrote:
I saw a bloke in a boarding queue in Zurich airport wearing ski boots. I don't know whether they let him on the plane.

Maybe someone could make individual boot bags, one over each boot, rubber sole, looking like a "moon" boot, Bob's your uncle.

We know someone that could sell those on another thread, along with their ribbons. Very Happy
ski holidays
ski3 wrote:
Corky wrote:

Maybe someone could make individual boot bags, one over each boot, rubber sole, looking like a "moon" boot, Bob's your uncle.

We know someone that could sell those on another thread, along with their ribbons. Very Happy

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Could wear some 1970s bell-bottomed flares to disguise the ski boots
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mikeup, If you can’t afford to pay for a bag I suggest you don’t go!
Only a total knob would walk thru an airport I ski gear!
Sorry in advance for being rather frank@MIKEUP, @MIKEUP, @MIKEUP,
latest report
I don't even wear my ski jacket through the airport anymore as I've ended up on the other side a hot sweaty mess more times than I care to remember.

Leave in the case accessible on arrival for the obligatory waiting around, and do the opposite on departure.

I prefer my new tactic of a normal clothes and a small bag containing my Surface, headphones, wallet, phone and passport.
snow conditions
johnE wrote:
Quote:

Wearing a crash helmet

Nah, he'd have survived if he'd been wearing a helmet.

/ducks
ski holidays
Owlette wrote:
This is true. Many a time I've blagged a carrier bag from Duty Free to shove my handbag in, as I haven't checked a bag in twenty years, so am technically only allowed my carry on bag. But my handbag contains the typical essentials, purse, passport, phone, Kindle etc so I prefer to have it closer to hand.

Some airports are easier going than others. The guy at Santorini airport gave me three, Faro airport had a flat ban on it.

Aren't you clever? And so much more so than everyone else. You book a fare that only allows a single carry on, and you clearly understand that condition. It will of course not cross your mind that if everyone breaks the conditions in regards to carry on luggage then two things happen; fares go up to compensate for the lost revenue from hold luggage, and there is not enough space for everyone's carry on so fares go up again as turn-around times are increased as a result of taking luggage out of the cabin and putting it in the hold. You care special, though, so it is ok for you to do this in such a dishonest way just so long as everyone else follows the conditions. And you are happy with the cheaper fares on low cost carriers, but not happy to accept there are reasons for those fares and the conditions applied are part of the business model. And don't care that many others on board will have played by the rules and paid for their luggage. And then you boast about how clever you are to cheat in this way.

Shame on you.

I hope you are reliant on EasyJet for the routes you fly, as you will now have to pay for your carry-on bag anyway. I applaud them for introducing this change for many reasons, but it is an added bonus that it will inconvenience selfish, dishonest twerps like you.
snow report
sorry zikomo think you are being a bit harsh. To call somebody you have never met a "twerp" because he/she sneaks a extra bag on to a flight is pretty poor in my book.
ski holidays
WASHOUT wrote:
sorry zikomo think you are being a bit harsh. To call somebody you have never met a "twerp" because he/she sneaks a extra bag on to a flight is pretty poor in my book.

I get your point. And I would agree if this was someone relating how once, in extremis, they sneaked a bag on board in this way. But the downright dishonesty of the approach, added to the frequency (over 20 years!), and then boasting about how she always takes an extra bag qualifies for the moniker in my book. Even the suggestion that the poster only does it because she needs some items to hand beggers belief - passport etc. can easily be carried in the main carry on bag.

I am glad that I have not met this person, and hope I never do.
snow conditions
@zikomo, nah. Are you always so sanctimonious?

I have done this very thing, myself, probably about 100 flights. Works usually a treat. It truly has no bearing whatsoever on the economics of loco airfares.

P.S: I note that @Owlette at no stage mentions whether her carry on actually has volume adequate to take her handbag rolling eyes
ski holidays
@zikomo, and there was me fretting about Covid 19, looming mass unemployment, economic meltdown etc etc. There is such a thing as natural justice, you don't have to do anything more than observe 'over luggaged' travellers at check-in or going through the gate to be told they have too much hand luggage. All the repacking and argy bargy between couples is great entertainment. If a handbag is just that, a bag that's kinda small and can be carried by hand, then I can't see what the fuss is about - it'll spend most of the flight on a lap or under the seat. The issue is always the overhead bins and I like to see airline staff being strict about carry-on size. And as for those who wear all their ski gear (I have only seen it a handful of times in all my years), I'd happily see them shot on the tarmac, more just to put them out of their misery.
latest report
"Sir, that's too big to be cabin baggage."
"Oh come now, it has a Samsonite label on it. Their new 'overhead locker size' range."
"Actually, I think it says 'Szmsonute'"
"I bought it in Kazakhstan. That's how it's spelt there."
"Also it's green."
"So?"
"And the wheels, with the two large numbers on the top?"
"So I'll see it on the carousel."
"Sir, it's a wheelie-bin. A garden Waste one if I'm not mistaken."
snow report
DJL wrote:
biddpyat wrote:
...extra jeans...

You take more than one pair? Puzzled

I do so I have something dry to change into. You know what it‘s like, sometimes I forget to tuck them into my ski boots so the bottoms get wet while skiing.
latest report
Buy an Airport Jacket with ~15 pockets and carry 15 kilos / 35 pounds.

latest report
Haters be hating

Maybe we should make it a thing - wear ski boots on a flight, take a photo, post it here Puzzled

ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy