Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Corona Virus + upcoming holiday

Poster: A snowHead
@carled, Laughing
@CiderBoy,
Quote:

Remind me to never take anything you say seriously!
What took you so long? Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

You might as well be asking how are the supermarkets holding up in Tower Hamlets?

As a matter of fact how are they? Laughing

Quote:

Good grief. I despair. Yes, zombies roam the streets and all there is to eat are rats and grass. Good luck out there.

Thanks, good to know wink

The reason I ask is an Italian friend in the Turin area sent me a photo on his local shop and it can only be described as empty. He mentioned to me to probably bring a day or two of food for if we can't find anything in the first few days as we're landing Saturday. By the sound of it this would be unneeded but thought I'd ask as I know people are in the area.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@albob, read the article.
"the Italian government has placed travel restrictions on the *towns* of Codogno, Castiglione d’Adda, Casalpusterlengo, Fombio, Maleo, Somaglia, Bertonico, Terranova dei Passerini, Castelgerundo and San Fiorano). For the moment, therefore, we are advising citizens not to travel to these towns."
quoted just now. NOT a ban on travel to piedmont.... where "certain restrictions in place". info is thus same as uk advice.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@CiderBoy, vaccine adiction started mid 80-s

Folks born pre mid 80''s have a far greater resistance to flu
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@oliverracing, re empty shelves; you have obviously never gone to a Glasgow supermarket on the 31st of December WHEN THE SHOPS ARE GOING TO BE SHUT FOR TWO WHOLE DAYS!!

My mother used to buy 6 loaves of bread "just in case". In case of what I have never determined.

Panic buying doesn't need a lot of panic to empty the shelves - and considering the just-in-time delivery nature of most supermarkets these days - there aren't a lot of supplies stocked.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Stanton talking with his extensive knowledge of immunology.

And by his account vaccination makes you more susceptible to viruses but no vaccination makes you more resistant.

Laughably stupid beyond even his previous bouts of BS.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stanton wrote:
@CiderBoy, vaccine adiction started mid 80-s

Folks born pre mid 80''s have a far greater resistance to flu

cowdoo.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@pam w, establishing herd immunity (I didn't realise you could do that at all for the 'flu viruses) would appear to be a short term win, need to be repeated annually and require 70% vax rate. Which feels somewhat aspirational Sad

@jimmybog, (1.) suggests that it's rather more transmissible than is being talked about, no?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CiderBoy wrote:
Flip @stanton, I never realised you were one of those anti-vaxxer's!

Remind me to never take anything you say seriously!

You did previously.? Shocked Shocked
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:
@pam w, establishing herd immunity (I didn't realise you could do that at all for the 'flu viruses) would appear to be a short term win, need to be repeated annually and require 70% vax rate. Which feels somewhat aspirational Sad

@jimmybog, (1.) suggests that it's rather more transmissible than is being talked about, no?

Again, I'm no expert on the virus, but what I do know is that there was a sudden surge in confirmed cases in the Lombardy and Veneto regions over the weekend. It does seem as if it spread to a lot of people very quickly and at the moment still seems to be doing so but still confined mainly to the aformentioned regions. What I would like to know is where exactly in the regions are these cases being reported/confirmed? Are they mainly in the red zone areas or spread across other parts of say Veneto or Lombardy? I suppose we will find out the answer to that in the next few days, as I would expect the authorities to place other villages/towns/cities in quaratine zones, if the cases are being reported/confirmed on a larger scale outside the current quaratine zones.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Stanton talking with his extensive knowledge of immunology.

And by his account vaccination makes you more susceptible to viruses but no vaccination makes you more resistant.

Laughably stupid beyond even his previous bouts of BS.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And here am I about to drop a wedge to fly to Geneva for the EOSB and it's taken more than 2 weeks to get through whatever I caught on the BBash . . .
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm packing some nice alcohol wipes in our suitcases Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bolzano region releases new measures for prevention and management of the virus:

Summary points

Schools to reopen on Monday but all trips suspended till March 15th

Public events allowed as long as preventitive measures are taken

Public transport to be regularly cleaned/sanitised

Hoteliers to contact authorities on emergency number of anyone staying in the accomodation from any of the red zone areas

Anyone who has stayed in the past 14 days in any high risk areas (in italy and abroad) must contact authorities and be isolated at home for 14 days
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hamilton wrote:
@albob, read the article.
"the Italian government has placed travel restrictions on the *towns* of Codogno, Castiglione d’Adda, Casalpusterlengo, Fombio, Maleo, Somaglia, Bertonico, Terranova dei Passerini, Castelgerundo and San Fiorano). For the moment, therefore, we are advising citizens not to travel to these towns."
quoted just now. NOT a ban on travel to piedmont.... where "certain restrictions in place". info is thus same as uk advice.

I did read the article - as it was on the 24 of February, the webpage was updated at a later time to include to towns you have quoted.
On the 24th Feb the advice was "Citizens are advised not to travel to affected areas" ; the areas mentioned were Lombardy and Veneto (from memory)

My post never mentioned Piedmont or a Ban on travel
snow report
ItaloSkier wrote:

Are you flying? Maybe keep some in hand luggage for plane as well. We did this on flight out and back just in case.
snow conditions
NickyJ wrote:
ItaloSkier wrote:

Are you flying? Maybe keep some in hand luggage for plane as well. We did this on flight out and back just in case.

Yes - from the other side of the pond so we would definitely bring them and wipe down our trays, rental car, etc.
ski holidays
jimmybog wrote:
under a new name wrote:
So my question is, why is Italy showing so many cases - and only in a relatively confined set of regions ??

2. Authorities still unable to find "patient 0" the person who brought the virus into the country.

I suspect this too. Outbreaks in other areas such as Austria or the Canaries appear to have had their patient 0 identified.

I also think it is reasonable to assume any person presenting with severe symptoms in any respectable first world country right now is going to get tested for it. So I think the fact that there are a high number of cases in Italy suggests, surprisingly enough, that the virus is spreading there a lot more than elsewhere.

People on here suggesting that in fact you are as much at risk in the UK right now or should really be asking about the supermarkets there are ignoring the available evidence or treating it with undue or excessive skepticism. That may well be true in a few days or weeks time, but it is emphatically not true on the available evidence now, and frankly I think its irresponsible to suggest this so flippantly.
latest report
admin wrote:
@oliverracing, the Aosta Valley has had no confirmed cases.

You might as well be asking how are the supermarkets holding up in Tower Hamlets?

I’m close by and can report no issues as yet, haven’t been in one since Sunday mind you.. For corona virus along with most other things round here in East London rule 5 generally applies snowHead
ski holidays
8611 wrote:
jimmybog wrote:
under a new name wrote:
So my question is, why is Italy showing so many cases - and only in a relatively confined set of regions ??

2. Authorities still unable to find "patient 0" the person who brought the virus into the country.

I suspect this too. Outbreaks in other areas such as Austria or the Canaries appear to have had their patient 0 identified.

I also think it is reasonable to assume any person presenting with severe symptoms in any respectable first world country right now is going to get tested for it. So I think the fact that there are a high number of cases in Italy suggests, surprisingly enough, that the virus is spreading there a lot more than elsewhere.

People on here suggesting that in fact you are as much at risk in the UK right now or should really be asking about the supermarkets there are ignoring the available evidence or treating it with undue or excessive skepticism. That may well be true in a few days or weeks time, but it is emphatically not true on the available evidence now, and frankly I think its irresponsible to suggest this so flippantly.

This seems to imply a malicious and/or stupid Italian "patient zero" romping happily around Lombardy with gay abandon, infecting all in their wake. The Italian authorities are demonstrating possibly the most stringent testing regime outside of China and people are wondering why they are finding so many infected people...? Is it only today that the UK authorities have agreed to start testing people who haven't come from what was considered a high risk area (remember, very few, if any, airport checks and only voluntary isolation EVEN IF you've come from the lockdown areas in Italy)? Even now that's only in a limited number of locations. There will be a huge spike in the UK in the near future, is my predicition. As I so "flippantly" said, just because they haven't been discovered or officially identified does not mean the infected people don't exist. I'd be taking massive sensible precautions if I was at large in London right now.
ski holidays
@Bodeswell, as an east London resident not familiar with the rules, could you elucidate pls
ski holidays
Been right across London over the past week, can verify that stocks of sugar, spam, condensed milk etc area all holding up well Toofy Grin
snow report
@hamilton, Likewise familiar with rule 5. Google searches did not yield much good information other than the 5 second rule and we know that is currently suspended.
snow report
@hamilton, click the link in your own post for the rules (<or that link<)

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 26-02-20 17:12; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@ItaloSkier, A link to rule 5 has automatically been added to the post by hamilton.
ski holidays
@hamilton,

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=93341
ski holidays
@adithorp, i was after the east London variant..... still none the wiser.
as an aside, latest update from Sauzy tourist office....
https://m.facebook.com/sauzedoulxenglish
latest report
hamilton wrote:
@Bodeswell, as an east London resident not familiar with the rules, could you elucidate pls
folllw the link in your post mate
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There is only one rule 5.

Anyhow, I’ve just got off a train full of tightly packed spluttering, sneezing, coughing muppets...frankly half the City could be down with it already and we’d be none the wiser. I could hide behind the sofa I suppose and never catch anything but got the next ski hols to pay for I’m afraid. There will probably be some cheap deals in N.Italy soon I imagine.
latest report
carled wrote:
As I so "flippantly" said, just because they haven't been discovered or officially identified does not mean the infected people don't exist. I'd be taking massive sensible precautions if I was at large in London right now.

Agreed.

But I don't think this is an argument to justify elective travel to regions directly adjacent to the areas affected. At least not yet, it may not matter in a few days time but on current evidence it is still wise and responsible to avoid such travel.

Not sure Mr / Mrs Zero has to be malicious or stupid, they just haven't been traced, most likely because they had little or very mild symptoms?
snow conditions
I'm finding this a useful resource for updates about the latest cases
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-news-live-uk-italy-spain-outbreak-us-symptoms-cdc-update-a9359521.html
ski holidays
Wow... those are some alarmist headlines
ski holidays
@ItaloSkier, yes, I'm ignoring the headlines, it's the live feed that is interesting. I think I may have to start referring to "Hancock Logic" to describe its absence (at 13:46)
ski holidays
Just connected with a friend who runs an agriturismo in Emilia Romagna. Tons of cancellations so really impacting them. Feels like everyone is panicking and the problem is the news talks about it non-stop. Also found out Vinitaly is still planned to run. They are reassuring people that it will run. Same with Geneva Auto Show (yes, CH, I know)
ski holidays
@stanton, "vaccine a(d)diction started mid 80-s" (note spelling correction)

Have you not heard of Louis Pasteur? think he was around before the 1980's.

Those of us born in the UK in the 1950's and 60's were all given the routine vaccines, long before the "antivax brigade" got established.

Shame your part of Europe seemed to lag behind.

You only develop immunity to a virus by coming into contact with it, hence the weaker strain used in vaccines. Your date of birth is irrelevant.

Influenza is a very adaptable virus. The vaccine is based on the strains believed most likely to be prevalent in the following year.

Being over 80, my Parents have been given the flu vaccine for a number of years. As Carer, I also qualify for it free of charge. Thankfully , it has helped avoid any of us getting more than a cold in the recent past.
snow report
8611 wrote:
...regions directly adjacent to the areas affected...

So we've gone from affected towns, to whole regions and now all the adjecent regions as well? Personally I'll be following the FO advice... https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/italy
snow conditions
Russia has advised its citizens not to travel to Italy.

Which could be good news for those of us planning to be skiing in Italy. Although all the Russians of my acquaintance need no introduction to Rule 5 and will no doubt ignore the advice.
latest report
@brianatab, the "stanton" has spent literally thousands of posts spouting absolute shite, and now expects others to accept any opinions it can puke out within the current scenario. Trolling should be seen for what it is.

It's probably running around now, holding its genitals with absolute glee at its perceived armagedon interpretation. Nothing of any use is written, just pasting links etc to sites it thinks is going to reinforce it's skewed view.

Each and every post shows further it's ignorance, intolerance and inverted reasoning. Then again, it's within its own perogative to publicly demonstrate a swingeing lack of intellect. Very Happy

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 26-02-20 18:22; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Hand Wipe Tissues

High Street supplied/sold hand wipe towels do not have adequate sanitiser to clean hands 100%

You need hospital grade medical sanitiser and then afterwards wash hands in clean water and dry with sterile paper towels
snow report
Any updates for the last 48 hrs?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy