Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Heli skiing - how good do you need to be?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
If your ski level is not good enough you will, for sure, wee wee off the others in your group - start with resort based options with an instructor, learn how to use a rescue beacon and dig out a victim and until you are complainant and know that your level won't detract from the enjoyment of others stay away from heli skiing.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@abc, I am not really thinking very hard about this at all am I? Yes, you are also quite right. Better technique is more efficient.

@hamilton, It is also worth re-stating that a heli day will typically start around 08h30 and finish around 16h00 with minimal rests. So it's quite full on vs. using lifts.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@under a new name, I'm not as fit as I used to be. But I can ski much longer on relatively challenging terrain without getting tired now than I used to. I credit that to a few key lessons on skiing steeps with proper technique, so I'm no longer brute forcing it.

Also, skill & fitness aside, attitude matters too. Some people go heli skiing for the challenge. They would want to push for the gnarl-level, or they'd be bored. Others go for the easy powder. They probably don't want to be "pushed" at raised anxiety level all day long. I guess that goes for guided days too.

Decide what you want, and communicate it clearly. It's not always possible to find ideal condition, but at least you don't get dump into unsuitable terrain due to misunderstanding of what you're after. It's your hard earned money, make sure you get the best possible enjoyment out of it.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@under a new name, CMH trips seem to be based on about 5000m per day which strikes me as pretty relaxed. I appreciate you may not be able to ski every day so the skiing day average may be more, but it doesn’t seem like a killer.

The handful of people I know who’ve heli skied don’t strike me as endurance athletes...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes, as above, it's no more taxing than resort skiing. In both cases once you know how to do it it's not a work out.

30,000m is the included/ guaranteed vertical (I'd have to read the small print to know precisely which - I don't care).
A competent group in good conditions on Alpine terrain could burn through that in few days.
After that the extra vertical meter starts running. It's very rare for anyone not to exceed those numbers.

In better terrain (trees), from experience, a typical season max weekly for small-group in BC is more like 50,000m.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@snowdave, iirc the CMH "guaranteed" package is 100,000 vft - last trip we did (iirc) 186,000 vft - had a lucky week with a swift group and good weather... agree with @philwig if you know what you are doing it's not terribly hard work ... the main economic point being that extra vertical is (aiui) super cheap compared to packaged vert.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DB wrote:
http://youtube.com/v/xjZynlM5KPc

Holy crap, that's funny...as long is it isn't me. wink

I was on a heli trip a few years back in BC. I was put with some very skilled skiers. Long time regulars to the Heli ops company. There was a 2nd Heli with the not quite so good skiers. Two first time heli skiers. Those two were apparently not very good skiers and were asked by the rest of their heli to sit it out, so the rest of them could actually get some vert in.

Just something to think about. I would spend some time getting better at skiing before looking into a heli trip, then I would suggest a day of cat skiing instead.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Heliskiing in Europe is a waste of time and money and hugely overrated.

You spend a chunk of change for bootdeep or wet powda.

Europe rarely gets big snowfall.

Especially in today's era of global boiling.

If you're gonna do proper helo, you gotta go to Alaska or Japan.

Alaska for the steep.

Japan for the deep.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
2 friends just skied this in Canada:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B9DBqfdhyfT/?igshid=4bq96j47xnu7
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Toadman, my first trip we had two chaps in our group. Both very social, one experienced and excellent, his bud overweight, first trip, not very capable.

The guides just put him on increasingly fat skis until he could keep up. It worked. All were happy.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy