Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Technique or gear

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@gorilla, sounds like:

- getting heavier
- getting a shorter ski
- getting a shorter ski that's more forward mounted

Is likely to be the issue. Should probably have gone the other way?

I'm not sure that means your technique is bad, just that it doesn't gel with that particular style of ski. I have fairly centre mounted (actually moved the bindings back a few cams on the new version I have of the same ski) 185cm skis for powder days - they're a dream in the forest and more mellow slopes, but on a big steep alpine face I definitely prefer more tip too. But I have other skis for that.

I think there's a good chance you simply have the wrong tool for the job you want it to do and the style of skiing you have. I think I remember you posting at the time about getting the Atris, and thinking it's not what I would recommend for your use case.

I would look at the Rossi Soul or Super 7 (might be called Black Ops now?) line. Easy going and playful but not as 'new school' as the Atris. If you want to stick with Black Crows, the Anima would be the 'playful but still alpine style' model. Corvus possibly too charge-y and less forgiving.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@clarky999, yeah. That's one potential answer.

I guess the use case is as follows. I currently have a lightweight touring ski I like, a skinny a/m ski I like and a powder ski I barely use as it is mounted alpine and I tour most of the time I ski off piste now. I can take max 2 pairs with me per trip.

I need something that will do both resort soft snow duty and will allow me to ski fall line turns in powder. I like the Atris on firm snow where it carves well for a wider ski and also in soft snow above about 20 degrees. I like the fact that it pivots easily in soft snow and is good for combat skiing and difficult exits. The only thing I dislike in open terrain is that it wants to turn across the fall line very quickly and that makes it harder to ski at any kind of speed.

Skis I've liked: 186 Lhasa Pow - 200 days. Initially couldn't ski for love or money. Got better. I loved the stability that came from the straighter sidecut and the ability to make larger fall line turns in soft snow.
Whitedot R108 - similar to the Lhasa. Went out of shape for some reason. Ground them flat and sold them cheap.
PM Gear Bro model 179 - predictable touring ski. Very easy to ski despite 33m radius.
Nordica Enforcer 100 - skied in a fridge and absolutely loved.
Scott Mission - first off piste ski.

Skis I've not liked:
Armada JJ 185 - fun in trees and slush bumps but otherwise too turny. Sold.

I think what we're getting at here is that I like skis with a more trad mounting point that allow me to drive the tips without going flying out of the bindings. As I say, I'm going to persist with the Atris but I'm open to suggestions.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How about backing up the bindings on the atris by 1-1.5cm? Have a read of the Blister review.

I skied the old version at -1.5cm and could push them pretty hard at 75ish kg. Going recommended on new ones for more tail support and manoeuvrability, but if you want to get a more traditional feeling maybe not a bad idea.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@JackSkier, I'll have a look. Probably hole conflict issues but good suggestion. On the Blister podcast Julien R said he was surprised that the Blister guys were doing that and that they should probably be sizing up. Just goes to show how expert opinion can vary over things.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Interesting post, thanks for sharing @gorilla.

I've just done 1 week on a new setup, including shifts, and had a couple of 'over the handlebar' moments (which is a couple more than I usually have). Falls were more the bindings letting go than stuffing the tips (once probably justified, once probably not), but I think it's a case of me having to get used to the setup for another week or so. Not least because towards the end of the week I upped the DIN on the back bindings a little bit, and promptly got my derriere handed to me by a mogul and was very grateful for a timely ski release!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
First of all, this reminds me we haven’t skied together in ages. Hope to cross paths again in the mountains.

I’m pretty much with clarky999. Probably not quite the ski / length / mounting point for your style. Yes in principle you could adjust your skiing... but unless you specifically want to, why?

Had a pair of Down CD114L. Didn’t gel with them. They were replaced (due to a topsheet delam) with the new model, which had exactly the same dimensions but a recommended mounting point 1cm back. Mounted them a further 1cm back and now love them. (Could have even gone a further cm back...)

Yes, maybe my technique, but not sure I want to change it that much at this point.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

First of all, this reminds me we haven’t skied together in ages.

Yes, is a shame. I did that season and then decided I needed to grow up. I will probably never beat that April for lift accessed powder so I guess you could say it was good to go out on a high. Lost touch with most of the people I skied with that year. Yet to return to Verbier. Next year.

gorilla above Fionnay, almost exactly 10 years ago (BobinCH's photo)

snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
gorilla wrote:
@JackSkier, I'll have a look. Probably hole conflict issues but good suggestion. On the Blister podcast Julien R said he was surprised that the Blister guys were doing that and that they should probably be sizing up. Just goes to show how expert opinion can vary over things.

That was a good listen and it's why I decided to plump for the 189s. I'm 5'8, 75kg, and like to charge, have been on mantras as a pretty good one quiver ski for years now, in 184, and loved that GS ski thing they've got going on. Absolute weapons. But in the deep stuff they make hard work and I always ended up hiring a pair of fatter skis for a day or two whenever I was out. Arrival of a baby 2 years ago meant I've waited till now before grabbing the atris I've been after for a while now.

Looking forward to ripping them in a week's time. Got a pair of Pivots to put on but I need to have a think about the mounting point. Julien R said he mounts his back, and said he's about 5'8, so I wonder whether to do the same. Anyone had any experience with the different mounting points on these?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gorilla wrote:
I will probably never beat that April for lift accessed powder

I don’t think I will either! Chamonix powder day w/e of 14th March? Hoping to ski with Cedric (for the first time in 10 years) the weekend before...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
gorilla wrote:
Quote:

First of all, this reminds me we haven’t skied together in ages.

Yes, is a shame. I did that season and then decided I needed to grow up. I will probably never beat that April for lift accessed powder so I guess you could say it was good to go out on a high. Lost touch with most of the people I skied with that year. Yet to return to Verbier. Next year.

gorilla above Fionnay, almost exactly 10 years ago (BobinCH's photo)

nice pic - where did that angle come from (slightly above but looks downhill IYSWIM)?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy