Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

British skier beaten unconscious by snowboarder

Poster: A snowHead
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
@robs1, you really think those opinions are acceptable and not just per the original point I was making just reactionary BS? Live and let live - it's ok to spout bile about other groups other than your own?

No I dont think it's nice to spout bile about others BUT that's exactly what you did. Just because some people dont like snowboarders or voted leave doesn't make them wrong and us right. Plenty of rude skiers who are out of control and plenty on boards who are the same. It's the same with politics. No one's opinion is worth more than another's those that throw insults and think they are more intelligent than others lose the argument every time in my view, have strong beliefs by all means but accept with good grace and manners that others do to
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A sarky throwaway comment is hardly spouting bile. Not the pinnacle of wit I'll give you but not a reason to blow up the thread. And I'm totally fine about saying those commenters are reactionaries because those comments are perfect examples of kneejerk airing of old prejudices.

Anyway only a few more posts before someone says "think of the family of the poor victim they might be reading etc"
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The whole Brexit thing aside - how many threads have we seen on here with someone saying "I/my wife/ my child nearly got clipped by some out of control loon so I chased them down and gave them a piece of my mind!". Plenty - So this whole thing isn't so far from home.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jeez - leave the brexit thing alone guys. The irony in a lot of the posts about why turn this into brexit and then making it more about brexit...

On topic - anything like this is disgusting. Turning from verbal to physical is a big jump and whoever escalated it is in the wrong. It is of course utterly irrelevant that this person was a snowboarder and the other a skier, it's 2 people, one getting beaten half to death. Unfortunately you get bad eggs in all walks of life.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Legend., +1
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
how many threads have we seen on here with someone saying "I/my wife/ my child nearly got clipped by some out of control loon so I chased them down and gave them a piece of my mind!". Plenty - So this whole thing isn't so far from home.

I think I must be abnormal then................ in nearly 40years of skiing I've never felt the need to give anyone a piece of my mind about a near miss!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have shouted after them on the couple of occasions I have almost been hit. On the occasion I was completely wiped out, my ski instructor sorted it.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
countryman wrote:
. I hope the person who perpetrated this incident is caught and in Chinese words "reeeducated".

Do you mean "taught to ski"? wink

More seriously I'm not sure what the hopes for retribution against the pupported guilty party are intended to do, and as for the Hatemail below the line it clearly was just an opportunity for some blowhards to sound off against snowboarders in general of the sort that has typified any media comments section ever since the B word was coined, very little of it thoughtful and balanced.

I'm sorry that mentioning the B word is such a trigger now for its fans.

BTW Am I alone in thinking there is more to the story than reported as yet - a lone young snowboarder and and group of beered up middle aged men who fancied a bit of a go - not an impossible scenario. Not saying that's what went down but a totally unprovoked attack is a pretty rare thing.

Dave,

First thing to say is I'm not saying this has anything to do with Brexit or snowboarding - it's to do with men and their egos.

But I posted (will try to find the thread) a couple of years ago about being attacked by a bloke (happened to be a snowboarder) on the slopes after I had a word with him (cross but not sweary or abusive) for hitting my tails quite hard, nearly knocking me over and sliding off without a word of apology. We ended up in the silly spectacle of him punching me around the head a dozen times while I kept my gloves up to protect myself and tried to avoid falling over and risking a kicking. I had a helmet and goggle on and he was no boxer so I was unhurt but it was a pretty horrible experience. He only stopped when his partner arrived and started screaming at him.

Lesson I took was that its not worth trying to police other people's behaviour - you might just come across a nutter whose ego can't take ccriticism. Also probably my policing was - to some extent - tied up with my own ego. Need to let that stuff go.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
my post bottom of second page of thread
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2718203&highlight=comme#2718203
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
That pole must have been a hefty bit of kit.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jedster wrote:
- it's to do with men and their egos.

But I posted (will try to find the thread) a couple of years ago about being attacked by a bloke (happened to be a snowboarder) on the slopes after I had a word with him (cross but not sweary or abusive) for hitting my tails quite hard, nearly knocking me over and sliding off without a word of apology. We ended up in the silly spectacle of him punching me around the head a dozen times while I kept my gloves up to protect myself and tried to avoid falling over and risking a kicking. I had a helmet and goggle on and he was no boxer so I was unhurt but it was a pretty horrible experience. He only stopped when his partner arrived and started screaming at him.

Lesson I took was that its not worth trying to police other people's behaviour - you might just come across a nutter whose ego can't take ccriticism. Also probably my policing was - to some extent - tied up with my own ego. Need to let that stuff go.

Pretty much. A fair slice of the public are bellends and ski slopes aren't much of a filtering mechanism. I'm not good at the letting it slide stuff myself - I will drop a sarky comment on people as I squeeze past them as they are blocking a cat track or come too close to me, same as I'll flick the finger in traffic in a car. I reason that it's a quick blow off and stops it festering with me, which while hardly zen enlightenment goes someway to preventing me going postal myself.

Interestingly last week while cycling home from the station late night last week a group of 3 yoofs decided to run after me and one attempted to throw a golf club (hmm nefarious intent?) through the spokes of my bike - consequences would have been nasty. No idea whether it was a full attempted mugging or he simply fancied my bike to ride home. But had I survived the fall I'm pretty sure adrenaline would have kicked in and I'd have had to get pretty aggressive with using the bike or the club if I could grab it in self defence. Glad I didn't have to find out.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The utter scum bag scrotes! Glad they missed. I was mugged for my bike when I was a student. Not nice.

I cycle commute nearly every working day and usually it's uneventful but may be once a month a driver does something that shows they place zero value on my safety. Honestly I find it very hard not to get seriously shouty when it happens. It is part that my adrenaline is already up from the exercise but mainly just the rational fury threat someone evidently thinks its is reasonable to put my life and heath at risk for a couple of seconds of their time. The thing is, in 15 years of cycle commuting, I've probably only had a constructive result from that twice...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@jedster, Police dispatch couldn't have been less interested as I couldn't articulate a specific verbal threat they made to me. I said a club through the front wheel of a moving bike is a pretty direct and unabiguous threat to the rider.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I reason that it's a quick blow off and stops it festering with me, which while hardly zen enlightenment goes someway to preventing me going postal myself

Precisely the opposite IME.
Microaggressions always grow and get out of control ... eventually.
It's Zen or nothing(ness)! Little Angel
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
marcellus wrote:
I think I must be abnormal then................ in nearly 40years of skiing I've never felt the need to give anyone a piece of my mind about a near miss!!

+1 no harm - no foul.

...and on the occasions that I have been skiied into, I am pretty sure they never intended it, so once we both get to our feet and make sure we're ok, my parting words are usually: "Take it easy, buddy - have a nice holiday".
I do not see what either side stands to gain from a confrontation.
snow report
Thinking about the original thread topic this morning, i wonder if steroids were involved, or wrather, the common rage side effect. They are common in alot of sporting pastimes these days, and 'roid rage is very much a thing, i won't though name any amateur sports where i know it happens more than it should, people will just get defensive, but i will say that i wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't crept into winter sports.
ski holidays
@thecramps,
Quote:

wrather

What a lovely Freudian slip! Or maybe it was an intentional, clever pun?
latest report
@Hurtle, I so wish I could claim it, but I have to fess up. It was just bad spelling. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
WindOfChange wrote:
marcellus wrote:

+1 no harm - no foul.

...and on the occasions that I have been skiied into, I am pretty sure they never intended it, so once we both get to our feet and make sure we're ok, my parting words are usually: "Take it easy, buddy - have a nice holiday".
I do not see what either side stands to gain from a confrontation.

I have come round to this "I do not see what either side stands to gain from a confrontation."

But I do think that there are quite a few situations where while people didn't INTEND to hit you they CHOSE to behave in a way that made the risk of hitting you unreasonable. They just were not being sensible and responsible. They weren't exercising their duty of care to other people.

I think it is quite reasonable (morally, ethically) to call them out on that.
I just don't think in practice it is very productive.

"+1 no harm - no foul"

So if a 100kg bloke comes straightlining down a blue run and clips a child's skis but doesn't hurt them, that's fine?
Isn't it like overtaking on a blind bend and just managing to avoid an oncoming car? Just because you got away with it doesn't mean its OK?
latest report
Obviously the skiers edges weren't sharp enough and he didn't realise that he could use his skis like a machete in a squabble.
snow conditions
No, but are you there to police him for being a bit of a nob? Would you do the same if it wasn't your kid? Would you do the same if it wasn't a kid but a 100kg bloke he just missed?

Now if you want to have a chat about piste patrols, and pulling people's lift tickets for reckless behaviour, different matter.
ski holidays
The problem with near misses and self-perception is that it's always easy to rationalise as someone else's fault unless you are called out on it. My dad, before he was persuaded to stop driving was constantly ranting about all the other maniacs on the road. One trip in the passenger seat was enough to leave one under no illusion that his assertiveness or lack of it on the road, hesitency at junctions, twitchiness in multilane traffic was a major contribution to the risk and the reason that sooner or later he would be involved in a smash. Now in that case there was no actual element of the highway code he was breaching (maybe failure to progress?) but he was an accident waiting to happen.I certainly didn't want him to be one of those folks that ends up entering a dual carriageway in the wrong direction (or pulling out onto a busy road in a Land Rover wink )
snow report
Yellow Snow wrote:
Obviously the skiers edges weren't sharp enough and he didn't realise that he could use his skis like a machete in a squabble.

Like this?

http://youtube.com/v/AQgueE5GgQs
snow report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
No, but are you there to police him for being a bit of a nob? Would you do the same if it wasn't your kid? Would you do the same if it wasn't a kid but a 100kg bloke he just missed?

Now if you want to have a chat about piste patrols, and pulling people's lift tickets for reckless behaviour, different matter.

Honestly, if it was my kid, I probably couldn't help myself from having a word. Even now.

If it was anyone else, I'd let them or their parent's deal with it.

If it was me they missed, I probably would say "too fast and too close mate, please be careful" if I had the chance but I wouldn't go hunting for them.

If a driver overtakes me too close then I will typically give them a loud "Hey!!!!" coupled with a theatrical wave of the arm.
I do think its right to tell them to take more care - it's my life and I'm a father and breadwinner.
snow report
Come on folks lighten up, I'm sure that the fast learning progression afforded to snowboarding does lead to snowboarders travelling faster than there ability to react should go, as a result its probably fair to say that Snowboarders cause a measurably higher proportion of problems.
ski holidays
The story is incorrect, the actions of the perpetrators were wrong, irrelevant of their means of travelling on snow, and the B word is bad if it affects you directly, if it doesn't you can extol the virtues of it!
snow conditions
xjrski wrote:
The story is incorrect, the actions of the perpetrators were wrong, irrelevant of their means of travelling on snow, and the B word is bad if it affects you directly, if it doesn't you can extol the virtues of it!

Welcome.

Are you the dood's friend or relative...

Tell what really happened.

Set the record straight.
snow report
Charliee wrote:
Come on folks lighten up, I'm sure that the fast learning progression afforded to snowboarding does lead to snowboarders travelling faster than there ability to react should go, as a result its probably fair to say that Snowboarders cause a measurably higher proportion of problems.

Not sure if you're trolling but utter garbage. Have you even tried snowboarding? Safe to say that skiers on a wider platform can achieve far higher speeds and stay upright while being unacquainted with basics of form or technique.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Many years ago a fast (or whatever you want to call them) boyracer took out two members of the ski school group that I was in but amazing didn't fall over and continued on. The instructor, having quickly established that there was no serious injury, told us to all stay put and sped after errant skier. It was one of those slopes where you could see a long way down it and it was awesome to watch how quickly ski instructor caught errant skier -it was a medium red but I don't think he turned at all. He told us that errant skier no longer had his pass -don't know if that really happened but justice if it did.
snow conditions
Charliee wrote:

Not sure if you're trolling but utter garbage. Have you even tried snowboarding? Safe to say that skiers on a wider platform can achieve far higher speeds and stay upright while being unacquainted with basics of form or technique.

Come on, boarders are much more likely to hit someone due to a numbers factors. I've been knocked into by two skiers and eight boarders over the last 30 years. Everyone I know has a boarder collision story and I've witnessed countless boarders cutting people up. It's great fun but definitely a bit more dangerous on a crowded piste. I always give snowboarders all the help I can and give them a bit more room.
snow conditions
I think boarders should be banned, so dangerous for everyone else. Also, helmets should be compulsory, total life savers.

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Cool

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 12-02-20 23:54; edited 1 time in total
latest report
thecramps wrote:
I think boarders should be banned, so dagerous for everyone else. Also, helmets should be compulsory, total life savers.

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Cool

Boarders should be included in anti discrimination laws. Laughing
snow report
This thread looks like a blatant pitch for SnowHeads’ Gold status to me, though it’s got a way to go to compete with Flounceo and Glove Technique.

Solid start though wink
latest report
Perhaps boarders should have one of those reversing bleepers on so skiers can hear them a bit quicker, I got head butted by one between the shoulder blades once, where the hell he came from I havent a clue but must have been airborne as never heard him at all, I had a back pack on at the time and he burst the plastic water bottle in it, he knocked himself out, luckily I was unhurt, accidents do happen but I do see more skiers going beyond their skiing ability than boarders, perhaps because there are more skiers than boarders
ski holidays
@PeakyB, doesn't even come close to the circus one
snow conditions
robs1 wrote:
where the hell he came from I havent a clue

They come from behind.

http://youtube.com/v/V5OlZBju9vs
snow conditions
Laughing
Gerry wrote:
robs1 wrote:
where the hell he came from I havent a clue

They come from behind.

http://youtube.com/v/V5OlZBju9vs

Laughing
ski holidays
Skiers complaining about boarders just encourages boarders like me to get those mag edges extra sharp, find an icy cat track, and scream up behind them on a heel edge sounding like a stuka, causing them to freak out and ski off the side of the cat track.

Never gets old. Might as well live up to the hype Very Happy
snow conditions
@PeakyB, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
15 or so years ago in Les Arcs, a group of us, all pretty good skiers, were gently cruising down a wide red run. Our leader got taken out by one of two snowboarders. They didn't stop or apologise. Our leader dusted himself down and set off after the errant two, with me close behind. He caught them up and nudged one of them over, explaining why he had done it. The bloke looked quite bewildered, until I explained to my mate "it was the other one". Hey ho
There does seem to be too little comment on this thread about possible causes of so many crashes, not just speed......how about drunken skiers/boarders, smoking weed and other substances that put skiers/boarders in a world of their own, listening to loud music in their helmets etc
Just sayin'
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy