Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Electric ski socks - would you buy them?

Electric ski socks - would you buy them?
Yes
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
No, I'd rather rent them
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Yes, provided they won't electrocute me
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
No, I wear a helmet which locks in my body heat
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Yes, but I'd like a mains option with long lead
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
No, I use gas
16%
 16%  [ 7 ]
Yes, so long as they operate on dual UK/European voltage
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
No, a thousand times No, leave me alone
59%
 59%  [ 25 ]
Voted : 0
Total Votes : 42

Poster: A snowHead
The biggest problem with a flex, is that if you do the same run and lift a few times, you'll have tied up the whole lift, all the people on and maybe a few operators, too, which would probably result in jailtime. Not good.

(Oh and I have answered the poll)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd be interested to know who's voted to rent them....I won't even rent boots, the thought of renting socks is just disgusting! Especially after they'd been on my smelly feet...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
comprex, Raynaud's Phenomenon (or Syndrome) can be very nasty, and I am sure your friend would benefit from electric socks, but would need electric gloves as well.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have poor circulation in my extremities(!) and have bought handwarmers (teabag sort) and an electric bootheater (so I have to go downstairs to the boot room in the middle of the night to smuggle my boots into my bedroom).

I would give them a go if they were reasonably priced, but, as I change my socks daily and can't be @rsed to wash socks on holiday, I might need 6 pairs if it was a really cold week. So probably too pricey.

Incidently, I think you horrible lot should feel sorry for us who feel the cold. Not make fun of us Sad
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No, much more entertaining to make fun of you.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
maggi wrote:
Incidently, I think you horrible lot should feel sorry for us who feel the cold. Not make fun of us Sad

On the other hand those of you with cold feet and hands should also not keep trying to warm them up on those of us who don't Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
maggi, what do you wear on your head?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have been a long sufferer by a pair of cold feet attacking me in a warm bed in the middle of a sleep. Have been threatening the wife one day I would go out to buy a pair of fishing chest waders (Wellington boots sealed with PVC trousers used by the angler fishing in deep water). Just find it odd that only 2 have voted yes for electrically heated socks.

I drive a motorcycle with heated grips which I switch on whenever the temperature drops below 10 degree. Surely it cannot be a big deal to inject a bit of warmth into the cold feet while skiing. Couple of amperes for a few short burst of heat should be manageable for modern batteries. The skiing boots insulation can help to retain the heat which can be replenished only if needed.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
maggi wrote:
I would give them a go if they were reasonably priced, but, as I change my socks daily and can't be @rsed to wash socks on holiday, I might need 6 pairs if it was a really cold week. So probably too pricey.

Get some pairs of liner socks (often used for hiking). They're thin and used to wick the sweat away from your feet. Wear them under your heated socks and you'll only need one pair.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
saikee wrote:
Just find it odd that only 2 have voted yes for electrically heated socks.

I, for one, find maggi's objection quite reasonable. Put it in the boot or liner, I say.

saikee wrote:
I drive a motorcycle with heated grips which I switch on whenever the temperature drops below 10 degree. Surely it cannot be a big deal to inject a bit of warmth into the cold feet while skiing. Couple of amperes for a few short burst of heat should be manageable for modern batteries. The skiing boots insulation can help to retain the heat which can be replenished only if needed.

Well, saikee the above Raynaud's-afflicted friend's heated insoles (Hottronic) have batteries that last about 3.5 hours in Quebec at -25. They are problematic- she never dares turn them off, and a full charge takes about 6 hours. They tend to get knocked off by the lift, to the tune of another US$75. She uses phase change socks and passive-reflecting insoles locally (http://www.warmfeet.com/) where it might only dip to -10.

Jonpim, she uses the teabag-style warmers in snowboarding gaunlets, even to ski.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, she also has the boot gloves similar to those shown here, except hers were done by Reliable Racing and cover the entire boot, with only the toe and heel lugs exposed.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
comprex,

Good news for the wife! We always look around the skiing equipment shops but haven't seen them retailed in Europe or Scandinavia yet. My present to the wife after she skied down her first black was a pair of the most expensive socks I could lay my hands on.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wear The Fox Hat,
Quote:

maggi, what do you wear on your head?

A hat. I wear a hat on my head.

Is this the right answer? Sorry, but this question seems a bit too easy. Is it a trick question? I know I'm not very good with the "Something for the weekend" stuff - never got more than 2 right, (usually only one). Is this my special question? It's easier than Nade's Confused

skanky, I already wear silk liner socks. I change both pairs daily rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
maggi, a lot of people suffer from cold hands/feet when skiing, and all some need to do is put a hat on (lots of body heat lost through the head)
The other thing to try is thinner socks.
If you have thick (or multiple) socks on, it can reduce circulation to your feet, and that will make them cold when skiing. (It's the same as doing your boots up too tight)

(I realise that the reason could be other things, but these are two solutions which work for many people)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wear The Fox Hat, Thanks for the suggestions but I have tried everything - thick, thin, v. expensive, different fabric socks, gloves etc. I have to wear a hat, unless it's very warm and sunny, or my ears go numb! It's just that I have low blood pressure and poor circulation. I can get white, numb fingers on a cool summer's evening in England! (And I have the electric blanket on my bed all year round, just in case of a cool night.) On the other hand, if it's hot, I'm hotter than everyone else...

I manage by having lots of layers to cover all eventualities and putting them on and off as the weather changes. A complete pain but necessary.
snow report
maggi,

You are not alone. Wife have silk inner plus two outer socks. I always ski with two pairs of socks and wear a hat too. There are many skiers suffering from cold numb. However if one skies only in Feb to April in France/Italy/Spain then the cold isn't really an issue. Only skiing several days in -25 degree C will one find out what it really means to have numb feet and hands.
latest report
maggi, ah well, that's your perogative, I suppose. Wink
snow report
maggi, I'm sure you've looked into it, but just in case, have you tried Gingko or Licorice Root? Both are supposed to help remedy circulation problems. My wife suffers similarly to you and has taken it in the past when things get a little harder to bear.
ski holidays
skanky,
Quote:

maggi, ah well, that's your perogative, I suppose.

What is? To be a complete pain? I think my husband would agree with you there when I have to stop and then make him wait for me!

By the way, the word is "prerogative". (Unfortunately, my spelling is better than my skiing.... Crying or Very sad Now if only Microsoft could invent Skicheck to correct my mistakes Madeye-Smiley )
snow report
maggi wrote:
skanky,
Quote:

maggi, ah well, that's your perogative, I suppose.

By the way, the word is "prerogative". (Unfortunately, my spelling is better than my skiing.... Crying or Very sad Now if only Microsoft could invent Skicheck to correct my mistakes Madeye-Smiley )

Bah- you'd wind up backpedaling in powder. Until you got a virus, that is.
snow conditions
maggi, to want to change your outer socks daily.

Incidentally, my spelling's better than my typing. Confused
ski holidays
Personally, I think the company is on the wrong lines entirely.... surely, the solution to the problem of cold feet is.... warm snow Very Happy
snow conditions
I can't believe this thread. If you don't suffer from the cold then you're lucky. I have permanently damaged toes due to cold and it's not funny. After about ½ hour on the slopes I usually can't feel my feet any more (at least the front part). I've tried all the suggestions made above (well, most of them), and none of them really work. Heated boots cost a fortune - boot heaters cost around £100 a pair. What can you do? SUFFER!
Of course, hard working ski teachers don't have the luxury of a nice warm hot choccy when you feel like it. If you aren't exerting any effort you can't stay warm! Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
easiski wrote:
I can't believe this thread. If you don't suffer from the cold then you're lucky.

I don't but Mrs Ise does and I know it can ruin her day and mine by association. The only things that help for her are making 100% sure the boots are dried each night, that they fit properly withoug being tightened so much to cut off circulation and opening the buckles when we stop to help circulation. In fact I try and make sure if we stop that we don't start again until her feet feel warm again.
snow report
ise,

But still you wouldn't but a pair of heated socks for her!
ski holidays
saikee wrote:
ise,

But still you wouldn't but a pair of heated socks for her!

Hmm. Let's separate rejection of bad solutions from acknowledgment of a real problem.

Easiski, take a look at the alpine accessories site I posted earlier- my plan for this year is to go with the cheapo AA battery pack and use Li ion batteries in it (NiCds are really hopeless at those temperatures).
ski holidays
Once met a very experienced rep who swore by Vaseline (petroleum jelly) rubbed into her feet to improve warmth. At least she'd have no problems with flat batteries. Anyone else heard of this dodge ?
latest report
Em, no, wouldn't it be a bit sticky? I would have thought "Deep Heat" rub would be better rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kuwait_ian wrote:
Once met a very experienced rep who swore by Vaseline (petroleum jelly) rubbed into her feet to improve warmth. At least she'd have no problems with flat batteries. Anyone else heard of this dodge ?

Just ban roll-on anti-perspirant and cayenne pepper, though not at the same time. There was, of course, the 10th century recipe of rags and lard?
ski holidays
What about solar powered ones - panels could be fixed to the ski boots Confused
ski holidays
My sister has terrible circulation & has almost permanently cold hands & feet from September to June. This year she took ginger tablets & says it has revolutionised her life! She no longer has to wear 2 pairs of gloves in the car!
snow report
Quote:

she took ginger tablets

I always find ginger is better in the "ale" form, mixed half and half with whisky! Seriously, I might give that a go next winter. The tablets I mean.
snow report
another thing to try is cutting down on caffeine, alcohol and tobacco, and drink lots of water.
Although, without booze & coffee, it may not be much fun!
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat,
Quote:

another thing to try is cutting down on caffeine, alcohol and tobacco

Cheers! Next thing you'll be suggesting is that I stay indoors, out of the cold snowHead
ski holidays
All this talk of extension leads and solar power is ridiculous. The correct solution is a small windmill attached to the helmet. The faster you ski, the more charge is generated and the warmer you get.

Seriously in my view the best way to avoid cold feet when skiing is to make sure the boots are both warm, and bone dry when you put them on in the morning. Taking out the inners each night is, in my opinion, essential to achieve this. Also make sure your feet are warm before you put the boots on.
ski holidays
David Goldsmith, It's longer than that - a friend at university won a pair in a competition at the Ski Show in about 1984 - I graduated in 1987.
Personally, I've not had a problem with cold feet since childhood - boots have improved! I have just bought electric gloves for both me and my wife - I'm hoping they get warm before the battery runs out! Laughing
snow conditions
easiski,
Quote:

hard working ski teachers don't have the luxury of a nice warm hot choccy when you feel like it. If you aren't exerting any effort you can't stay warm!

I would have thought that, even at £100+, your situation makes heaters a no brainer - and tax deductible?
snow report
Spud9 wrote:
All this talk of extension leads and solar power is ridiculous. The correct solution is a small windmill attached to the helmet. The faster you ski, the more charge is generated and the warmer you get.

Seriously in my view the best way to avoid cold feet when skiing is to make sure the boots are both warm, and bone dry when you put them on in the morning. Taking out the inners each night is, in my opinion, essential to achieve this. Also make sure your feet are warm before you put the boots on.

No suggestion of fishnet stockings?

Warm in winter, cool on sweaty B'stards Toofy Grin
snow report
What the hell!..................are we going for some sort of record 'bump' here?
latest report
Hmmm. I suspect that the reason for the rise of this zombie is more to do with cold chopped pork than warm feet.

snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy