Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Electric ski socks - would you buy them?

Electric ski socks - would you buy them?
Yes
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
No, I'd rather rent them
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Yes, provided they won't electrocute me
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
No, I wear a helmet which locks in my body heat
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Yes, but I'd like a mains option with long lead
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
No, I use gas
16%
 16%  [ 7 ]
Yes, so long as they operate on dual UK/European voltage
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
No, a thousand times No, leave me alone
59%
 59%  [ 25 ]
Voted : 0
Total Votes : 42

Poster: A snowHead
It's coming up to 20 years since the first electrically heated ski boots appeared on the market. The concept has conventionally been based on insoles containing electric elements.

Now, thanks to research in New Zealand, there's the prospect of enveloping the foot in more general warmth. The idea is based on 'electrically conductive' wool, powered by a small battery. Socks in general, and more specifically ski socks, are obvious applications. This report from BBC Online.

Would you use them?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 28-05-04 12:49; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Research in New Zealand? Was JW involved in this?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I suspect ill-fitting boots are one of the biggest contributors to cold feet. Better to spend one's money there, as it will help with skiing also! Maybe warmed socks would help people with naturally poor circulation in the feet.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have no problem in using them whenever I go skiing in Christmas time in Scandinavia. It will sell as hot cakes there.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is the conductivity natural to the wool or an added coating? Would a sweaty foot short-circuit the fibres? Or is there an insulating coating (in which case how is current transmitted from fibre to fibre lengthwise). And if a coating is involved, won't it wear off, and what result would this have? Puzzled
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My feet getting cold is not usually the problem.
In that same article Kim Griggs wrote:
They are also working on developing textiles that respond to the environment.
"It could become thicker to provide more insulation or become more porous and more open which provides ventilation," said Mr Collie.
Now that's more like it. At last a jacket that will let me cool off when things get hot.
Quote:
There's a lot of potential for truly intelligent textiles
I want a Chameleon Shirt that will change colour to match my tie and so prevent the daily rude comments on my ghastly dress sense.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think that using batteries would be a big improvement on the plug in to a socket type, as the length of flex needed for them would otherwise be such a huge problem.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I want intelligent textiles that will enhance my intelligence!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ray Zorro wrote:
I think that using batteries would be a big improvement on the plug in to a socket type, as the length of flex needed for them would otherwise be such a huge problem.

Yes, skiing with a flex long enough for the Vallee Blanche, for example!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
There's a lot of potential for truly intelligent textiles

Something similar has discussed before in the Intelligent Jacket for Snowboarders thread, I'm sure this is another attempt by manufacturers to help out our darksider friends....
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jonpim wrote:
I want a Chameleon Shirt that will change colour to match my tie and so prevent the daily rude comments on my ghastly dress sense.

Just the one?
Going green
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
All these comments about 'flexes long enough to ski the Vallee Blanche' are frankly very silly indeed. I know that Snowheads is supposed to be a haven of British humour for the entertainment of American lurkers, but note that my question has not been answered:

Would you buy them?

As for the electric supply, one thing that is plentiful at 2000m is sunlight, so I guess the ultimate would be for the skier to become a 'mini national grid', generating electricity from solar panels on his ski jacket, wired to electric socks and longjohns.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Would I buy them? no.
My boots fit, and I don't do them up tight, so, circulation isn't a problem, and I wear a helmet on my head, so I'm not suffering excessive heat loss there, again, helping to keep my feet warmer.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I thought you wore a fox hat. Is that under the helmet?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
David Goldsmith, Personally I don't like the idea of heated socks - boots are uncomfortable enough as it is, and with an occasional tendency to slight swelling, I can't think of anything worse.

However as Jonpim says, it seems a good idea for other items of clothing.
snow conditions
David Goldsmith, criticism of 'silly' comments then commenting yourself on WTFH's head attire, hmmm ...

No I wouldn't use them. My feet have never got that cold. I would have questions about their durability, robustness and effectiveness.

I did have some electric gloves which wired up to my motorcycle battery, for use in the winter, very uncomfortable they were and never worked properly either, maybe that clouds my judgement.
ski holidays
Ray Zorro wrote:
David Goldsmith,I did have some electric gloves which wired up to my motorcycle battery, for use in the winter, very uncomfortable they were and never worked properly either, maybe that clouds my judgement.

Must have kept you fit lugging that around.... Laughing
latest report
Ray Zorro, sorry, you;re right. My next excursion down the Vallee Blanche includes a 10-mile extension lead, electric socks, a fox hat (unheated), and a string of fairy lights. If you'd care to give those electric gloves another go, and you're prepared to carry that battery (I'm sure Mark Hunter would help out), we could could break new ground in comfort skiing.
latest report
I think fears that electric socks would be incompatible with thermally moulded insoles would keep me away from them. I've had cold feet a couple of times whilst ski=ing but as others have pointed out this can be fixed by getting boot adjustment right...

I once made a pocket warmer by mixing metal bicycle clips with AA batteries - does that count?
latest report
Presumably the wool is obtained from Philip K Dick's flock?

Having had cold feet now and again it's pretty difficult to get them warm again so my answer to your question David is maybe.
snow report
Excellent. I had a feeling the answer to my question would be a resounding "perhaps".
snow report
Well if you want a resounding answer. NO.

but if you just want answers why not a poll?
ski holidays
The answere to your question, David, is no, I don't need them and wouldn't buy them.
Oh dear, I must curb my silly side on one side and my Witgenstein quotes on the other and seek the Via Media. Mea Culpa.
latest report
The answere to your question, David, is no, I don't need them and wouldn't buy them.
Oh dear, I must curb my silly side on one side and my Witgenstein quotes on the other and seek the Via Media. Mea Culpa.
latest report
snowball wrote:
Oh dear, I must curb my silly side on one side and my Witgenstein quotes on the other

Not to mention double posting Wink
snow report
Mark Lehto, Done. Please give this vote preference over any upcoming European and local elections.
snow report
snowball, that's ballot rigging....
ski holidays
David Goldsmith lucky for you I dont live in a postal ballot area. How confident are you of the security of this vote though?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Extremely confident. My Sicilian associates have approved it.
snow report
Bring back The Pollster Wink
ski holidays
NO wouldn't ever need them!

Go snowboarding and use FLOW bindings, then you have super comfy boots which keep your feet warm all day!!!
snow conditions
Mark Hunter wrote:
snowball wrote:
Oh dear, I must curb my silly side on one side and my Witgenstein quotes on the other

Not to mention double posting Wink

Why, when I try to flounceo out do I always trip over my gown.
ski holidays
Sounds like a good entry for a question competition!
latest report
After following Peter B down a run in Courchevel in March with my flies undone it wasn't heated socks that I needed. Shocked
ski holidays
You could have put a sock on it.
snow report
A question competition? Is that method of choosing competition questions? Very Happy
snow conditions
spyderjon, your formative ski experiences were evidently not in a kilt.

snowball, (on a similar theme) would you give that advice to a Scotsman?

Looking at the poll results, 20 votes are in. Only 10 per cent of Snowheads want to buy electric ski socks, and that's conditional on having a very long mains lead or dual voltage. This is not good for the inventors, who are proposing batteries.
latest report
Whenever I experience Scottish midges I marvel that the Scots persisted with the kilt. (And without a sock, as far as I know).

All that kinetic energy being generated, surely some of it could be stolen to heat the socks. (But I still wouldn't buy them)
snow report
Hey, I didn't even brink when I ticked yes in the survey and become the only Snowhead representing the 4% out of the 23 voted yes.

The few Christmas skied in Scandinavia I couldn't combat the cold no matter how much I put on in the hands and feet. I don't need them elsewhere though but Whistler was close. I would have thought attaching a modern say a high power but small lithium-ion battery to the boot and switch it on every now and then would be just the job. In Scandinavian winter sometime I have to stop just over an hour of skiing and rush into a warm room. The feet have to be pulled from the boots in order to get the blood circulating and exposed to the warmer temperature.
ski holidays
I could not vote for her, but an acquaintance has been diagnosed with Raynaud's.

I know nothing about this condition, but since then she has been truly paranoid about cold. She will buy this and any other product that remotely even pretends to keep any part of the body warm at all; last ski trip she was eating 2000mg niacin a day just for the prostaglandin effect. Frightening.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy