Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Graphene Skis! Why?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Richard_Sideways wrote:
@DrLawn, maybe you need to update to the new Wide Area Network KERS system... I think you can do that by yourself. Don't go for the Kinetic Network Integration Contol one though, gets in a right old twist.

If you're finding them too stiff, you can download the "Kinetic Network Integrated Torsion" update. It makes them much softer
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Graphene based technology from Head (which they imported from their research in tennis rackets) is an alternative to Titanal to stiffen a ski, which a much more lower weight. That makes this technology vey interesting in the freeride/touring category.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@proskilab, it's just marketing though isn't it? Can't see they'd be able to use it in sufficient proportion to make any real difference. In essence, jumping on the bandwagon of anything they think will give them a promotional advantage.

To illustrate, it's carbon fibre that occupies this role in skis. And that's essentially a different scale of graphene.

https://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/education/whatischemistry/landmarks/carbonfibers.html is worth a read to see the capabilities and why it's been used in these structures.

The skis without graphene lack nothing in the properties of strength, rigidity, weight etc. In reality it's application probably lays outside that which is useful in a ski just on scale alone. Apart from its perceived marketing potency Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Can't see they'd be able to use it in sufficient proportion to make any real difference.

Alas, I suspect you're right, but have any tests been done to confirm that, either way?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AL9000 wrote:
Quote:

Can't see they'd be able to use it in sufficient proportion to make any real difference.

Alas, I suspect you're right, but have any tests been done to confirm that, either way?

Not tests, but one of the challenges in any of the normally included fibre structure used in skis is to reduce the proportion of resins in relation to the fibres to bring the characteristics needed. Graphene being in such small scale would seem to be a step in that direction that's currently, realistically, out of reach.

https://www.iom3.org/materials-world-magazine/feature/2017/feb/01/material-month-carbon-fibre-composite another good read that directly references skis and sporting equipment and gives some context to material properties required.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@ski3, Article didn't help my thick brain but good to see Surrey representing Little Angel

Graphene golf balls don't seem to fly straight; very suspicious!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@AL9000, on that location aspect, the following was published in a newspaper recently in recognition

Carbon Fibre – William Watt
Carbon fibres are thin filaments that are incorporated into resin and baked to create a reinforced plastic that is significantly stronger but considerably lighter than metal. This ‘composite’ material can be moulded into the required shape and is used in a wide range of machines and objects, such as military and commercial aeroplanes, spacecraft, hi-tech sports equipment, wind turbines and Formula One cars. To produce the fibres, a substance containing carbon is heated to extremely high temperatures (1000–3000°C) in an atmosphere containing no oxygen. Under such conditions, the carbon atoms join together to form structures that are extremely tough and stiff without being brittle.
In the 1950s and 1960s, researchers in the USA were working hard to uncover the secrets of producing carbon fibres. However, it was not until 1964 that Edinburgh-born William Watt, working at the Royal Aircraft Establishment in Farnborough, Hampshire, produced a superior version of the fibres and the technology really flourished.
Watt and his team discovered that creating fibrous carbon from ‘PAN’ (polyacrylonitrile – a textile fibre similar to that used for making carpets) produced a material much more suited for structural use. This formula for creating carbon fibres is still the most popular in use today, 50 years later. As carbon-fibre production becomes more cost-effective, this wonder material will doubtless be used across an even greater variety of applications.

Certainly an interesting subject.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Certainly an interesting subject

+1

I remember a programme on Dave where some fellow built a 2 seater aeroplane using fibres of some kind over foam (for the wings). Quite impressed with how rigid it was. I'm not sure how much better graphene would be over that stuff.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As pointed out by someone else earlier in this thread, it's wood that's the real high performing material in skis. Composite structures with resins are really trying to mimic those natural structures, and obviously why wood core construction is desirable for skis.

Once described to me before by someone working in composites as "if you tried to build an oak tree of composites to take the same weight and cantilevered mass, you'd likely fail" incredible material.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Got to disagree with the ludites above - after hiring Head Epic graphene skis in 2018 we found them just revolutionary; they are amazingly light but also trsutworthy at speed in all conditions including ice and for tight or carved turns. They took about 20 years off my ski legs and I loved them so much I went straight out and bought a pair when I got home. Two more weeks on my own pair now, and like and trust them even more. They weigh about half what other skis the same length weigh, yet perform better in every condition, including of course carrying them... Big savings on transport too, as we can stuff 3 pairs (plus other stuff) in one ski bag and still not breach the airline weight limit.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Can’t see that graphene is going to achieve much more than carbon unidirectional fibres, which will be lighter than various metal based reinforcements. IMO there is much to be said for light skis, though others might advocate the benefits that heavier skis might offer with regard to damping. Like much in life, there is a trade off.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy