Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Graphene Skis! Why?

Poster: A snowHead
A friend of mine was given a pair of Head skis today that purport to contain graphene, as the shop-man enthusiastically pointed out.
Being a somewhat scientific sort, he knows what graphene is so didn't just accept that a 'clever sounding thing' would automagically make the skis better and questioned the shop-man as to how on Earth a single molecule thick sheet of carbon atoms would have any beneficial effect on the construction of a ski?
Unsurprisingly, the shop man was stumped by this question Confused

So... do Head skis have gaphene in, and if so why? Or is it just 'the appliance of science because you're worth it and too stupid to know bullshit when it's being shoved up your nose' marketing?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Someone on the bash? So you have ample scope for "testing"?!

I'm not a materials scientist, but from what I know of graphene, isn't it one of those high strength, low weight materials similar to adding a layer of carbon fibre? The other explanation is that it's like Ti, in that a layer of titanal is added for extra torsional rigidity, but everyone thinks it's titanium Confused Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's quite likely that for stifness to weight, graphene may well provide advantages. However, looking at the designs linked below, the area of graphene coverage is so small that if you used a steel plate it's unlikely to make much difference to either factor.

Head web site

My guess would be it's included so that they can say it's included!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Smells of snake oil but it is possible that it is useful in skis...

"Components with higher strength to weight ratios. Researchers have found that adding graphene to epoxy composites may result in stronger/stiffer components than epoxy composites using a similar weight of carbon nanotubes. Graphene appears to bond better to the polymers in the epoxy, allowing a more effective coupling of the graphene into the structure of the composite. This property could result in the manufacture of components with high strength to weight ratio for such uses as windmill blades or aircraft components" ...or skis.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
... but titanal isn't Ti ... it's Al ...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I thought someone had done the calculation and proved that the amount of graphene Head would need to incorporate in their skis to have a meaningful impact exceeded the amount which existed in the world i.e. it is very possible the diagram is accurate and Head actually incorporate a piece the size of a shreddie in order to make the maketing boast. Or they shave a pencil into the core of every ski and call it good.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name, Doesn't look as good though, does it? Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Scarlet, nope wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Apparently it's 200 times stronger than steel

People are starting to use it to build bikes

http://youtube.com/v/FaKl3OymFy4&feature=youtu.be
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@admin, sounds like BS to me....saw someone skiing them last week and had a chuckle at the time. Hope they feel the benefit!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's a wonder metal, as in you wonder what the hell it does and wonder whether it is just marketing BS.
Same as a wonder-bra, once taken off you wonder where it all went.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Head? marketing BS? From the company that persuaded a whole trade industry that the KERS chip actually did something? Surely not!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Skiing them makes you feel like you've got two "AA" batteries in your mouth, lovely feeling of being lightly electrocuted as the twitchy vibrations weave through your body, does feck all for your skiing though IMO
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
olderscot wrote:
Head? marketing BS? From the company that persuaded a whole trade industry that the KERS chip actually did something? Surely not!

I'd be surprised if anyone actually believed that or that it was intended to be believed.

All I can say is I absolutely love my Magnums (my second pair) and a mate absolutely loves his Titans (and his Speeds in the right conditions).
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

http://youtube.com/v/UgblylU2VpY

http://youtube.com/v/6xNUaOwYNu0

Any more?
latest report
@DB, people are chucking in micro amounts into the matrix so that they can advertise that the there is graphene in the construction. Pure marketing BS for both bikes and skis. If they did indeed contain enough to make an appreciable difference then not many in eth world could afford them!
snow report
Quote:

I'd be surprised if anyone actually believed that or that it was intended to be believed.

They do make good skis. No doubt about that.

But try watching any of the trade 'experts' doing a head ski review video and talking about the benefits of the KERS technology. I can't see why any company would put their brand supporters in the position of looking like complete numpties by perpetuating a marketing myth.
ski holidays
From 00:25 - well done for keeping a straight face

http://youtube.com/v/pM4caUhNgBw
snow conditions
I have a friend who makes a habit of asking in bars/restaurants what "artisan bread" is. Stumps most of them....
latest report
What about ski poles made out of carbon nano tubes?

As to the graphene, you could argue that they do contain graphene if they have a few pencil marks on them.
snow report
is graphene the same thing as graphite?
latest report
DB wrote:
Apparently it's 200 times stronger than steel

People are starting to use it to build bikes

http://youtube.com/v/FaKl3OymFy4&feature=youtu.be
Seems like a reasonable explanation. Oxygen doped Graphene + resin + carbon fiber = more strength at lower weight. Has anything come of it? Have not seen the market being flooded yet.
latest report
pam w wrote:
Same chemical (carbon) but arranged in to a different structure. Just like diamonds are also pure carbon, but with a different arrangement to graphite.
snow conditions
Hmm I note graphene is one of the ingredients in the boots our favourite tech talk troll/overly entitled arrishole pupports to have. Feels an ideal match

http://youtube.com/v/4yZ0LvqPuSQ
snow conditions
Graphene makes your skis stiffer, stronger, unvibratier, turnier, heat-dissipatier, faster, lighter, and thinner.

Graphene is currently found in tiny amounts inside skis because the material is expensive and hard to mass-manufacture.

Amounts will increase in the future.

A spider's web of graphene could stop a falling airplane.

Several graphene skijackets have been on sale for a couple years.

They keep you warmer, drier, and less stinky from sweat.

Above all, graphene is one of them cool materials that makes everyone else in the liftline / bar without it feel like a loser wink
latest report
Golly. Stiffer and stronger and makes you the envy of the rest. Where have I heard that before? Laughing
snow conditions
I have i.speeds and I can confirm that since I got them, I am: More attractive, faster, richer, more muscular, taller and funnier. This is mainly down to the Graphene. The KERS chip has made me slightly less believable though.....
latest report
Steilhang wrote:
pam w wrote:
Same chemical (carbon) but arranged in to a different structure. Just like diamonds are also pure carbon, but with a different arrangement to graphite.

Not specifically a different structure is it, just the result of thining graphite down to a single layer of atoms.

If you want to make some graphene at home you just need a pencil some paper and some scellotape (and some time on your hands as there's not really anything you can do with it at the end) - https://www.wikihow.com/Make-Graphene
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB wrote:
From 00:25 - well done for keeping a straight face

http://youtube.com/v/pM4caUhNgBw

it would have to be a pretty powerful chip to spring old lardy buckets there out of a turn! I'm thinking at least hyperthreading and multicored.
snow report
Head Skis July15
http://youtube.com/v/yBr3tRgMtk8
snow report
https://www.iflscience.com/physics/scientists-added-literal-crap-to-graphene-to-make-a-point/
ski holidays
I don't know about kinetic energy recovery in skis, as surely this is complicated by there being two sorts of energy involved in skiing: potential energy building up in the ski when it is compressed (like a spring) and then being released as you come out of the turn; and kinetic energy developed through motion down the hill.

I would have thought that potential energy was a far more important factor. I recall back in the 70s, I had a pair of Schwendener skis that I could "wind up" going down Corrie Cas gun barrel, so that they bounced me into the next turn as soon as pressure was taken off mid turn. I have to say, the nearest I've come to this in recent years is when using my Supershape Magnums. However I do not believe this has anything to do with kinetic energy.

Any physicists on here ?
snow report
I‘m not a physicist but suspect what gives skis such a rebound is from a special ingredient called „wood“. It‘s the same stuff was used in the construction of the Morris minor estate. Amazing ....
snow conditions
Who cares? It's all hot air and bull!

Ooooh...my car has ceramic brakes!! You can tell because they are red!!!

Oooh.. look at the stripes on my Ford Fiesta!

My Super Joys have graphene - I bought them because, after a bit of reseach into which ski might be appropriate to move up to, these were available to try and I liked them.
My boots have graphene - they are newly fitted by Rivington (thanks guys, they're fab) but I had no input into the choice other than comfy or not - brand, colour or other esoteric options would have been detrimental to the outcome.

My skis and boots are certainly lighter than those they replaced which, I believe, is the graphene claim.
ski holidays
@DB, ...and Morgans.
latest report
I bought a pair of these Head Kore's just before last season. After walking through that long tunnel to return to Cervinia from Zermatt a couple of times I wanted something lighter to carry, but with a wider platform thoughout to help me in the pow. I've found them superb for stability, cutting through the crud and slush and doing short turns. Not had chance to test them in powder yet though. I'm no scientist so can't say if/why the graphene has helped - just that they are the best ski I have ever had. I'm told they were last season's best sellers, which probably explains why Head didn't make changes to them for this season.
snow report
I don't know how I could ever sleep at night without my KERS system chip installed.

I wasn't skiing so good today .. perhaps the KERS needed an update.

Still a great ski though.
latest report
@DrLawn, maybe you need to update to the new Wide Area Network KERS system... I think you can do that by yourself. Don't go for the Kinetic Network Integration Contol one though, gets in a right old twist.
snow report
Talking of KERS, when the system was first introduced some years ago I did try to explain its operation in Prof. Stanley Unwin style.... Madeye-Smiley https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1623875&highlight=unwin#1623875
latest report
@Alastair Pink, Laughing
My skis have KERS and that's spot on.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy