Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should I buy new boots?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi - I know there's a sticky but there's a lot going on there and I'd really appreciate some bespoke thoughts if that's OK... without sounding like a diva!

I have pair of Salomon Spaceframes from 2006, so coming on 13 to 14 years old. They were top of the range back then. Here's a pic.

From what I can see based on literally what I can see, things don't seem to have changed much? My boots are comfy enough, and I can ski well enough in them. So is there anything to be had be getting a new pair? Have things moved on so much that I would notice any difference? I often wonder with these things that things don't change that much beyond some sales blurb and Bold New Graphics!

Be really keen to hear your thoughts on things please.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
yes, things have moved on. Although they look superficially the same, the technology has changed e.g. boots are much lighter now - Mrs NBT recently bought new boots and says they feel SO much lighter than her older pair. After such a long time also your liners will have packed down so at the very least you should consider new liners,but when you take the boots in it's likely that the bootfitter will point out wear and tear on the sole and binding interface points that might mean they would be unwilling to put new liners in older boots.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd disagree with nbt, with boots, if they ain't broke I wouldn't go through the expense and hassle of trying to fix them.

It's nice having lighter boots but unless you are hiking or skinning not important.
Doesn't sound like you are moving around in your boots so unclear what you would be looking for your new boots to improve on.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have a 10 year old pair of boots which I'm having to keep tightening up during the day. I'm honestly not sure whether it's time for a new pair, so I intend to go to a good bootfitter, whom I can trust not to relieve of my money unnecessarily, and ask them the question.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
While everything that @nbt has said is true re advances in materials etc is correct, I'd still be in the if it ain't broke don't fix it camp - based solely on the process of getting new boots fettled perfectly is not easy.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Boofont, how much do you ski?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not as much as I'd like! I live very close to Aviemore so should get lots done but the snow has been non existent this year! Once week a year at the moment but I am hoping to increase that.

It looks like I should keep the boots. I can wear them all day no problem, and have no problems on any run or condition. There's nothing wrong with them at all. More a curiosity I guess. Have boots come on so much that they should really be changed, that kind of thing. I think the answer is no. Or maybe see if I can get a good deal at the end of this season?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Given everything you've said, and for a week a year, I'd hang on to them. The cost of replacing them can go towards your next ski holiday.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Doesn't the plastic get brittle over time so even if they still fit well this affects the flex and the boot could crack. Some old boots have been know to 'explode' while skiing. I personally wouldn't want to ski in a plastic boot that was over ten years old.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've known some old boots start falling apart but they were waaaaaaaaay more than ten years old.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've known some old boots start falling apart but they were waaaaaaaaay more than ten years old.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I saw an elderly lady in a pair of Salomon SX71's earlier this season, although she didn't look like an explosive skier to be fair.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd at least check them for cracks.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=59528
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
They’re a very soft plastic actually. But good advice all the same.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I had been skiing for 20 years in a pair of Tecnica Icon XR boots - 3 weeks a year typical. They still fitted tight and snug and comfortable and skied great. BUT I thought 20 years things must be quite different, so time for a purchase and move into the modern world. Plus I wanted some thing more hike and ride. So got fitted up with some nice Atomic Waymakers. The Atomics also fit well, no problem areas at all and ski well. BUT were they better than the 20 year old Tecnicas? No they were not. They really aren't that different. For this reason I do highly recommend Tecnica boots.

I'd say save your money and keep going with you have for now.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy