Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

20 year old boots

Poster: A snowHead
Hello, I have a 20 year old pair of rear entry Rossignol boots. I've owned these boots from new. I went skiing in them last week and they worked fine and felt comfortable.

What sort of technology advances have there been in the last 20 years that I would find in new boots. Is it worth buying new to replace them?

cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The plastic linkage between the handle and the flushing mechanism in the cistern of my toilet shattered the other day, couldnt have been more than 8 years old. thank goodness no part of me was encased within it when it broke under high stresses.

quite apart from a front entry boot actually wrapping and holding on to my foot.

anyhow, surely everyone loves shiny new kit?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
AnneBr, I feel your pain! Got a pair that fit and can't be bothered going through the potential pain of getting new ones!
If it helps, I think it took me 5 fittings getting my new boots blown out before I was happy with them and now they are like gloves and I love them and will probably end up posting a similar post to yours in 20 years wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fit and comfort is generally far better in modern boots. The liners in your boots must be shot and the plastic must have degraded. Even a new pair of the same boots would be a lot better, nevermind a pair of new modern boots.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AnneBr, I too have a pair of old boots - in my case well over 25 years old. After hearing horror stories of old plastic degrading and shattering when least expected (or wanted), I splashed out on a new pair last month. Having had 2 days skiing on them, I am not yet convinced that they are any better, despite all the cowd00 about better plastics, liners packed out, better fits, etc. Were it not for the risk of shattering, I'd be straight back into my old ones.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
AnneBr, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead

The plastic in your boots will have degraded through plasticiser migration, so there's a chance that once they get cold and you start skiing in them, that they'll shatter into small peices.
New boots will give a much better fit and better performance.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AnneBr, wow! They're even older than my old boots which were a Nordica of circa 1992 vintage. I used them up until March 2008 when finally the clip broke (and I ended up skiing two days with gaffa tape holding them together, lol!

Boot design has changed a lot and my new boots feel extremely tight compared to the old Nordicas. But in fairness, I wouldn't have replaced mine if they hadn't died. I'm one of these that keeps everything as long as it still works. Hence the 10 year old computer and 20 year old telly! Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the comments.

I think I'll enjoy the luxury of trying different boots on to find the best fit for comfort.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
AnneBr wrote:
Thanks for the comments.

I think I'll enjoy the luxury of trying different boots on to find the best fit for comfort.

AnneBr, comfort is -easy- to achieve; one must also have a performance metric.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
AnneBr, you've quite possibly opened yourself up to a world of 'bootfitter' related comments by posting that. Laughing

Don't worry, I made a similar mistake when I joined this site. Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Has anyone actually ever met anyone whose boots shattered during skiing becaue teh plastic plastcicised or whatever ...?

There's chance of evrything happening - the sun might not come up tomorrow ... (actually given teh amount of snow we've had tonight it probabkly wont ! wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sev112, mine did. And I know others too.

ok, they were cr@p boots from ages ago and the plastic was bad from the start rather than going bad in time, but still.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sev112, I know of 2 people that it happened to, one was in a snowdome, the other was up a mountain. Both had to walk down in just their boot liners.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AnneBr wrote:
Thanks for the comments.

Which part of the country are you in, and we might be able to recommend some retail emporia that'll do a better job of making sure you get the boots that fit your feet.

Of course if you're anywhere near oxfordshire then go here - http://www.solutions4feet.com/
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
AnneBr, My boots are considerably older than yours, and although I have no intention of changing them, I do plan to service them. Since the day I bought them, they have felt like carpet slippers, albeit, with a firm hold. They are also rear entry, and although I did not appreciate it at the time, nowadays, I certainly feel the benefits of easing my "foot with the dodgy knee attached" out of the boot.

There is an easy solution. Take your old(ish) boots away with you. After two days using them, and thinking about your skiing, hire some boots, ski the same runs, and compare. Then take them back, and try another pair. Be fair to the hire shop by explaining your plan, they may gain a sale!
ski holidays
AnneBr, I'll bet your ski's are at least 205cm and you sport a Nevica one piece Toofy Grin
snow report
sev112, yeah, quite a few. Almost always when skiing with me. Purely a coincidence I assure you.

One was when a 6 hour drive from the nearest shop/hire shop at the start of a not entirely cheap heliskiing trip. Having to despatch a Eurocopter A-Star to find a range of suitable alternatives makes the cost of most boot-fitting exercises pale into complete insignificance.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 7-01-10 9:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
bertie bassett wrote:
AnneBr wrote:
Thanks for the comments.

Which part of the country are you in, and we might be able to recommend some retail emporia that'll do a better job of making sure you get the boots that fit your feet.

Of course if you're anywhere near oxfordshire then go here - http://www.solutions4feet.com/

Thanks I'm in High Wycombe, so not too far from Oxfordshire.
snow conditions
sev112 wrote:
Has anyone actually ever met anyone whose boots shattered during skiing becaue teh plastic plastcicised or whatever ...?

There's chance of evrything happening - the sun might not come up tomorrow ... (actually given teh amount of snow we've had tonight it probabkly wont ! wink

I was guiding in La PLagne for Crystal years ago and someone had a fall that looked really bad and I thought "oh crap that's a broken leg" but instead he stood up and walked over to me just wearing his inner boots Laughing Laughing The skis binding still had the sole of the boot in them and hadn't released !! The entire shell had shattered into hundreds of pieces ! Was a comedy moment... I gave the bloke a lift down on the back of my skis and went to a shop to hire him some for the rest of the trip. That was in 98/99 and the boots he had were Salomon SX ?? Grey ones.. rear entry. Cant remember how old but hilarious and I was just pleased he didn't break his leg !
snow conditions
sev112 wrote:

Happened while skiing with my wife, right boot ended up in a few pieces as she made a turn on the Valetta in Sierra Nevada, luck was there was a pisteur on a snowmobile to give her a lift back down, of course it was my fault 'cos I hadn't bought her new boots:)
snow report
Boots exploding? Ask David Goldsmith Laughing
ski holidays
AnneBr, Your link at Solutions for Feet is to our very own SH CEM who has an excellent reputation on here for boot fitting. I haven't availed myself of his service yet, but if/when I need new ones I think I will be inclined to spring for the trip. Boots aren't cheap items and its often too late once they are bought (esp. if too big) to do much about it.
latest report
I wish I could find a pair of these special stock liners that don't seem to pack down after 20+ years. Perfect foot hold and slipper comfort year after year, amazing.
Unfortunately I find most fit like a pr1ck in a bucket after 100 days or so.
latest report
uktrailmonster, of course they don't, but for people who are holiday skiers on a budget, old 'comfy' boots do the job. Unless of course they explode, lol!
snow report
queen bodecia, True, you can ski using any old tat you like and possibly have just as much fun if the kit doesn't fail. But in the context of the equipment reviews section of a dedicated ski forum it's fair to say that 20 year old ski boots are complete junk, especially rear entry ones.
snow report
uktrailmonster wrote:
I wish I could find a pair of these special stock liners that don't seem to pack down after 20+ years. Perfect foot hold and slipper comfort year after year, amazing.

Well, you know, the smaller the gap between the shell and the foot, the longer the liner lasts.

Quote:

Ah.

Was that a 15mm fit then? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
under a new name, Alex A, Spyderman, horizon,

prometheus,

I stand humbly corrected, educated ....

and worried .....

How about 10 year old ones then ? Sad
latest report
sev112 wrote:

How about 10 year old ones then ? Sad

Depends on the brand and (no joke) colour and how much stretching/grinding work was done on them.

Plastics and injection methods were just starting to get decently good around then.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
After reading these forums, I did a comparison test with my new and old boots. I could definitely lift my foot and wiggle my toes in my old boots, my new boots allow no room for foot movement at all. How this affects skiing is negligible to someone like me, but the old boots were MUCH easier to walk in. The new ones are also considerably heavier. However, the new ones are clean and shiny and don't look like 80s monstrosities held together with gaffer tape (note to self: must really take these to the tip one day!).
ski holidays
Get them looked at by an expert. The materials are prone to failure after so much time, however certain makes / models are more likely to fail. Some fault points may be obvious to the eye.
ski holidays
Thanks - some good points there - comprex, go on then - what's a bad colour : white ? Something to do with UV i presume

Mine are year 2000 i thin, some Salomon Evolution 7s i think (black !) - they are sooooooooooo comfortable, easy to walk in, the canting adjustment works well when i change skis, (but i presume i am now going to get teh barrage of emails that say - " your boots are too loose if you can walk in them and they are comfortable!!" Smile
And i love them

But secretly i am thinking of having an affair with a shiny new pair wink
latest report
I had a pair of Nordica 997 which lasted 27 years until (on a very cold day in Saas Fee) both heel pieces disintegrated. Undaunted, I found another old pair on ebay, took the heels off and migrated them to my old boots; extending their life by 2 years until they finally died. I have now bought a pair of new boots. My observation:
Whilst modern boots may be more high performance, they are not more comfortable or more convenient. With rear entry boots, you slip your foot in, close a clip (and turn a wheel with my boots) and away you go, whilst all the 4-clip Johnnies are still clipping and unclipping. New boots are more stylish (shallow? moi?) and you don't have to hide your feet under the table.
My tip? They are like an elderly relative, they will one day die; you need to come to terms with it. Assuming you are not a high performance skier (20 year old rear entry boots are a giveaway) and therefore do not need high-performance kit, you should try on as many pairs of hire boots as you can and find a pair that work well in a real-life situation. If you stumble across a boot which fits you, buy them. That is what I did and, after a suitable period of bereavement, my feet are once again happy. I am deeply suspicious of the boot-fitter malarky; anything that I have had hand-made or hand-fitted has never fitted.
Mick
PS I wish they would bring back rear-entry boots, 4-clip boots are such a pain to get on.
snow report
comprex wrote:
uktrailmonster wrote:

Well, you know, the smaller the gap between the shell and the foot, the longer the liner lasts.

Quote:

Ah.

Was that a 15mm fit then? Toofy Grin

I know, I know it's all a bit of a compromise. My previous shells were certainly on the large side, although reasonable fit and great comfort with the new liners for a good 10 weeks of skiing (so for me that's about 2.5 seasons) and were acceptable for another 10 weeks after that before I decided they were getting too sloppy to ski hard. Current boots are a shell size smaller and custom fitted. A bit tight for the first couple of weeks, but bedding in nicely this season.
ski holidays
penster wrote:
My observation:
Whilst modern boots may be more high performance, they are not more comfortable or more convenient. With rear entry boots, you slip your foot in, close a clip (and turn a wheel with my boots) and away you go, whilst all the 4-clip Johnnies are still clipping and unclipping.in to get on.

My observation is a lot different:

I find modern high performance boots far more comfortable than old high performance boots. I think partly because of the improved shell/liner tech and partly because boot fitting is now far more professional. I used to have all sorts of foot aches and pains with older boots, which have now thankfully gone away in the last 5 years or so. The only pair of old school boots I ever had which were comfortable were Sally SX90s, but they were pants for actually skiing even when new. I soon ditched them for a pair of hardcore 4-clip Nordica 980s, which were great for control but pretty harsh on the feet. Current high performance boots however are great for control AND comfort, so best of both worlds. Modern 4-clip boots are also a lot easier to get in and out of than I remember. Mine certainly are anyway. Not sure why, but it makes the rear-entry concept totally redundant for me.
snow report
penster, you can still buy new rear entry boots new, and cheap too: http://www.skiwear4less.com/acatalog/Rossignol_R78_Rtl_Rear_Entry_Ski_Boots2.html
latest report
queen bodecia wrote:
the old boots were MUCH easier to walk in.

I tend to use hiking boots for walking. But there are plenty of modern boots with 'walk mode' if that's an important criteria for you.
latest report
Quote:

they are sooooooooooo comfortable, easy to walk in, the canting adjustment works well when i change skis

You dont change canting with different ski's though Puzzled
snow conditions
geeo,
actually on my boots i do
when i ski on all mountain skis on piste i have the cant setting on the aggressive carve ; whereas when i have my short rossignols on on piste, they are so aggressive and bite so much at the back end, that i set the cant setting on the opposite setting to give me better control of teh carve

I am sure they probably dont do that much, and they probably arent strictly a "cant" control , and probably are a salomon marketing gimmick from the early 2000s, but it seems to work with me - probably just like giving you pills that dont work , you just think they do !
latest report
placebo = that's the word i was after !
snow conditions
sev112, you're probably OK. THere are some models that have explosive tendencies, but let's just assume you haven't got them.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy