Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Brexit and passport validity

Poster: A snowHead
Dear all,

Off skiing on Feb 14th for a week to France. Just noticed the kids passports expire April 20th this year. Regarding Brexit, am I correct in assuming that due to the 'transition' period beyond 11pm tomorrow these will be ok to travel on? The advice on the ukgov website seems to imply that things would only potentially change in the event of a no deal Brexit.

Thanks for any advice.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I’m in exactly the same situation with my daughter. My understanding is that as long as the passport is valid for the entire trip then it’s fine. Things may change next year but we’re ok for now.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jonesj wrote:
I’m in exactly the same situation with my daughter. My understanding is that as long as the passport is valid for the entire trip then it’s fine. Things may change next year but we’re ok for now.

Thanks for the speedy reply. Yes, that's how I understood it, i.e. from Jan 1st 2021. The passports are in date for the trip so I assume it to be 'business as usual' through the transition period.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Official line is business as usual at the moment
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Legend., Thanks
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I thought passports have to be valid for at least six months at the time of travelling. Worth double checking the gov website.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=151026&highlight=passport

I ended up paying up for the 2 day turnaround one as Lufthansa stated they required 6 months. I think they are wrong and that we would have been fine but couldn't take the risk
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Andrew911 wrote:
I thought passports have to be valid for at least six months at the time of travelling. Worth double checking the gov website.

For travelling to France, passports should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay - you don't need any additional period of validity on your passport beyond this (gov.UK). It's the situation around Brexit that might have upset this (and may still cause things to change after the transition period).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
robandliza wrote:
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=151026&highlight=passport

I ended up paying up for the 2 day turnaround one as Lufthansa stated they required 6 months. I think they are wrong and that we would have been fine but couldn't take the risk

Andrew911 wrote:

Most airlines have this policy to cover themself from liabilty as they have to cover the cost (return flight) and financial sanctions if a passengers does not have the necessary entry/exit documents. In the UK its called Immigration (Carriers' Liability) Act 1987.

Your passport might be vaild, but the airline can refuse to take you.

Edit: The Immigration (Carriers' Liability) Act 1987 was withdrawn on 27 April 2016. Not sure if something else replaced it.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi - I checked recently and I think you have to check with airline. The airline may then tell you to check with the country of entry. Eg for my trip EasyJet had no restrictions and Switzerland only require validity for duration of trip.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
UK government has updated the websites relating to the transition period, and the post-Brexit period from 1 Jan 2021:

https://www.gov.uk/transition

"The current rules on trade, travel, and business for the UK and EU will continue to apply during the transition period."

https://www.gov.uk/visit-europe-1-january-2021

"Passports: check if you need to renew
You may need to renew your British passport earlier if you’re travelling from 1 January 2021.

On the day you travel, you’ll need your passport to both:

have at least 6 months left
be less than 10 years old (even if it has 6 months or more left)"
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And furthermore - post Brexit in 2021:

"Border control: you may have to show your return ticket and money
At border control, you may need to:

show a return or onward ticket
show you have enough money for your stay
use separate lanes from EU, EEA and Swiss citizens when queueing"
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nothing changes in the transition period now that everything has been signed off on both sides. I'm sure that doesn't stop airlines applying their own rules, but everything should carry on as before until the end of December. Then it's anyone's guess.
We are heading out tomorrow morning as we wanted to be out of the country with the dog before the 11pm 31/01 deadline, just in case (this is while everything was still up in the air). Having said that, it looks like in future it will be all change as articles like this are already being pushed (but who knows if it's scaremongering): https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/brexit-travel-how-to-government-advice-mobile-roaming-passports-insurance-a9309246.html

Edit: What Android2000 said Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ormie31, It's not scaremongering, it's from the UK government's own website.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BTW, we're driving and using the tunnel
snow report
Was refused entry into Malaysia last year as daughter's passport was due to expire in 4 months.
Had to make an on the spot decision at Heathrow to fly to Bangkok instead, and change entire holiday plans. It was either that or no holiday.
snow conditions
"It's not scaremongering, it's from the UK government's own website."
I wouldn't trust anything written in the (not very) Independent about Brexit. It's almost as biased as the Guardian.
snow report
After the Transition Period Brits will be subject (very likely) to the same rules as the US

90 days

**Make sure you receive a stamp in your passport when you enter and exit the Schengen area.**

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/travelers-with-special-considerations/schengen.html

DO NOT OVERSTAY !!

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/consequences-of-overstaying-in-schengen-area/
snow conditions
No point talking about after the transition period on here as yet. It's as you were for this ski season. "The current rules on trade, travel, and business for the UK and EU will continue to apply during the transition period".
latest report
Page23 wrote:
BTW, we're driving and using the tunnel

In that case, you'll be fine. Unless you are staying till April!

Re scaremongering, probably not the best choice of word. "Not set in stone" probably a better phrase. Last October the governments own website had very different guidelines, all subject to change. So I'm going to agree with Legend and halt any talk about after the transition period.
ski holidays
Interestingly, I read through the 'le tunnel' webpage which seemed to state that UK passports would need to have at least 6 months on them to travel to the EU.

I contacted 'le tunnel' directly and have been informed that the webpage requires updating and that we will be fine to travel on these passports so long as they obviously do not expire while we are there - there is no requirement for additional validity.

One would think they'd be keen to update this webpage given the proximity to half term and the ensuing madness of travel. I'm sure it would take the pressure of many agencies and organisations.
snow report
It will be great to have to go through the non eu,eea or swiss channel far shorter queues, even allowing for the brits it will still be quicker
latest report
robs1 wrote:
It will be great to have to go through the non eu,eea or swiss channel far shorter queues, even allowing for the brits it will still be quicker

In the case of ending up with No Deal - you could be looking at up to 5 hour delays at Passport Control, due to the extra immigration checks....until Airports put extra facilities in place (which is unlikely to start until the UK's position becomes clear).
ski holidays
Old Fartbag wrote:
robs1 wrote:

In the case of ending up with No Deal - you could be looking at up to 5 hour delays at Passport Control, due to the extra immigration checks....until Airports put extra facilities in place (which is unlikely to start until the UK's position becomes clear).

Will never happen, the swiss have already said they will be adding uk to the list in eu,eea etc section, just more project fear, it doesnt even take that long in the states to get in and they ARE parnoid, have been to chambery several times and there was absolutely NO passport control, the staff had all gone home, maybe at times there maybe some points to be made but in general any flight from the UK is not going to have anymore issues than now
ski holidays
robs1 wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
robs1 wrote:

Will never happen, the swiss have already said they will be adding uk to the list in eu,eea etc section, just more project fear, it doesnt even take that long in the states to get in and they ARE parnoid, have been to chambery several times and there was absolutely NO passport control, the staff had all gone home, maybe at times there maybe some points to be made but in general any flight from the UK is not going to have anymore issues than now

I am not getting into a Brexit argument - but most of what was put down as project fear, has come to be project reality......and the reality is very likely to be reciprocal ie. The freer the movement we accept/allow into the UK, the easier it will be....but Brexit was all about stopping free movement, which means European ESTAs. In the event of No Deal, then Nothing is in place and delays will almost certainly happen. The numbers have been crunched and at 90 secs per person, the time adds up.

Govt's own assessment (Operation Yellowhammer): https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/831199/20190802_Latest_Yellowhammer_Planning_assumptions_CDL.pdf

As a Member, the only check, is that the Passport belongs to the holder.....but only time will tell what delays, or not, will happen.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 31-01-20 12:27; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Going to Meribel on Sunday, will I be able to buy cheaper booze Duty Free at the airport?
ski holidays
Gordyjh wrote:
Going to Meribel on Sunday, will I be able to buy cheaper booze Duty Free at the airport?

No.
snow report
bug!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Old Fartbag wrote:
robs1 wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
robs1 wrote:

I am not getting into a Brexit argument - but most of what was put down as project fear, has come to be project reality......and the reality is very likely to be reciprocal ie. The freer the movement we accept/allow into the UK, the easier it will be....but Brexit was all about stopping free movement, which means European ESTAs. In the event of No Deal, then Nothing is in place and delays will almost certainly happen. The numbers have been crunched and at 90 secs per person, the time adds up.

Govt's own assessment (Operation Yellowhammer): https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/831199/20190802_Latest_Yellowhammer_Planning_assumptions_CDL.pdf

As a Member, the only check, is that the Passport belongs to the holder.....but only time will tell what delays, or not, will happen.

That was an worse case scenario produced by a government dept that didnt want us to leave, as you say time will tell, and we all know the French will play silly bugs just because they can but in the end money will be the driver , Im certainly not concerned about what will happen
snow conditions
robs1 wrote:

That was an worse case scenario produced by a government dept that didnt want us to leave, as you say time will tell, and we all know the French will play silly bugs just because they can but in the end money will be the driver , Im certainly not concerned about what will happen

I was originally talking about a No Deal.....and given that a Trade Deal almost certainly won't be ready by the end of the year, then the options will be:
- Crash Out
- Remain very closely aligned, to get it done quickly
- Extend the TP to allow a divergent deal to play out

The belief that we will be treated different to everyone else is totally false (imo). As a Third Country, the rules surrounding Third Countries will apply. Remember, it's this Pro Brexit Govt that is now putting out this information - they just don't want you to read it too closely.
snow conditions
As far as I know passports will still be respected on Monday BUT as of midnight tonight importing a Car to France (Prefecture dependent) from the UK will be the same tax and inspections as from the USA.....so more or less impossible! This isn't the only thing effected, but it is one I can talk of with certainty !
ski holidays
@Idris, I carefully imported my car on 26th October in case of a no-deal Brexit on the 31st. I didn't fancy paying the VAT again.
snow report
@robs1 'produced by a government dept that didnt want us to leave'

Yellowhammer was a cross-government programme managed and directed by the Cabinet, not some George Soros evil mastermind, minion-infiltration exercise.
ski holidays
LaForet wrote:
@robs1 'produced by a government dept that didnt want us to leave'

Yellowhammer was a cross-government programme managed and directed by the Cabinet, not some George Soros evil mastermind, minion-infiltration exercise.

It was a "worse case scenario" ie let's see how bad we can make it look. Guess it depends on whether someone is a glass half full or empty. A bit like the instant recession we were going to have as soon as a leave vote was the outcome. Didnt happen and neither will the things that report predicts.
ski holidays
@robs1 'A bit like the instant recession we were going to have as soon as a leave vote was the outcome. Didnt happen'

No one said we'd have an instant recession. What they did say was the trade £ would drop. Which it did, 22%. And that this would make imports more expensive. Which it has, seeing us pay out £160bn extra for imports since the Leave result. And that foreign investors would be deterred. Which they have - foreign investment down 30% in UK vs up 48% in the EU27. And that skilled EU workers would go home early. Which they have - 10,000 EU NHS nurses and clinicians gone home early and most not replaced.

Positing that something no one said would happen hasn't happened is just a diversion from the real facts. Which are dire. I genuinely hope we'll get our £160bn back; that foreign investment in the UK will do a U-turn; and that those 10,000 EU workers will return. But I don't see a single sign of this so far, let alone anyone in government willing to pin their colours to the mast and get specific on when we'll even be back to where we were before the Referendum.
ski holidays
LaForet wrote:
@robs1 'A bit like the instant recession we were going to have as soon as a leave vote was the outcome. Didnt happen'

No one said we'd have an instant recession. What they did say was the trade £ would drop. Which it did, 22%. And that this would make imports more expensive. Which it has, seeing us pay out £160bn extra for imports since the Leave result. And that foreign investors would be deterred. Which they have - foreign investment down 30% in UK vs up 48% in the EU27. And that skilled EU workers would go home early. Which they have - 10,000 EU NHS nurses and clinicians gone home early and most not replaced.

Positing that something no one said would happen hasn't happened is just a diversion from the real facts. Which are dire. I genuinely hope we'll get our £160bn back; that foreign investment in the UK will do a U-turn; and that those 10,000 EU workers will return. But I don't see a single sign of this so far, let alone anyone in government willing to pin their colours to the mast and get specific on when we'll even be back to where we were before the Referendum.

George Osborne said it on the 23rd may 2016, look it up, was reported by the bbc among others.
Last I saw inward investment into the uk was still more than Germany and france combined.
latest report
A tad off topic.
ski holidays
At the risk of some believing it's a real party presentation Very Happy

http://youtube.com/v/xeiGLSy-1zU
snow conditions
Some remainers remind me of those Japanese soldiers on jungle islands who carried on fighting long after the war was lost.

But here's some real news, fresh from the BBC at 11.20: "Brexit will bring sharp drop in au pairs". (I promise you I'm not making this up - check the BBC website for yourself). Will we see chaos in Islington as Guardianista Fib Dems start fighting over cheap domestic staff?
snow report
robs1 wrote:
It will be great to have to go through the non eu,eea or swiss channel far shorter queues

You know you could always go through those queues if you wanted, right?? You can always go through "all passports"/"all other passports" queues, regardless of what (colour) passport you have.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy