Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Security of Quiver Killer screws

Poster: A snowHead
I have been using Quiver Killer inserts for a while, but I find that I have to keep tightening the screws every other day or so. I am using the recommended thread locking liquid, Vibra-Tite, and tightening the screws using a standard Posidriv screwdriver. Using fresh Vibra-Tite on each screw and tightening it hard I still find the odd screw loose after a couple of days. Is this normal?

It means I have to spend five minutes checking and adjusting all our skis every other morning. Checking them when I get back from skiing is a bad idea because the skis are wet and the posidrive slots may be clogged with ice, with the likely graunching of the slots when I try to tighten them.

Should I tighten them harder and is there a recommended torque for this? Or should I try a different thread locking fluid?

Would allen screws be better than posidriv?

The inserts are really useful because of the ability to swap bindings and easier packing for travel. Also the inserts are fully sealed with epoxy glue into the skis and so you do not get the water damage around the fixings for the bindings that I have found with conventional screws. So I will definitely carry on using the Quiver Killers even if I do need to tighten them up frequently.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Are you letting the Vibra-Tite fully dry on the screws before inserting them? (Are you using a pozidriv 2)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A quick google for "quiver killer torque" will link you to the Quiver Killer FAQ and "Roughly 4 Nm torque (hand tight) is plenty.".

If you need to release your inner geek you can then get one of these - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GIFT-IDEA-MAGNETIC-TORQUE-SCREWDRIVER-1nm-8nm-IDEAL-FOR-BICYCLE-CYCLE/163135099476?epid=17017666432&hash=item25fb9c1254:g:px4AAOSwMBdb4Wm- (and a PZ2 driver bit).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh... Why did you have to post that... *gets wallet*
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Better off with one of these as it goes all the way from 2 to 24nm; https://www.wiggle.co.uk/x-tools-essential-torque-wrench-set/
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As mentioned, apply a drop of vibra-tite on each screw, let ‘dry’, insert and tighten by hand until, well, tight. Never had cause to torque them tight, nor retighten after a days use.

bolderz wrote:
Would allen screws be better than posidriv?

How does the screw know or care what sort of driver it has??

Nick
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@bolderz, Have you been skiing particularly hard pistes?

I think the vibra-tite is supposed to last a few goes. Can't remember how many times I've switched mine, probably about five. Bindings have been on the same skis since mid January, and done about 10 ski days since. I've just swapped them to my fat skis – they hadn't been tightened since fitting, but one or two were no longer tight. They weren't loose enough to fall out though, so I'm not overly concerned (though tbf on my bindings, unless they're in walk mode all but one screw are hidden underneath). Nothing special here, just a posidrive.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all your replies.

@gsb, The first time I used them, the screws had Vibra-Tite already applied to them by the supplier @spyderjon. Recently I haven't been letting the Vibra-Tite dry before inserting the screws and this may be where I am going wrong. I am using a good quality Posidriv 2 screwdriver.

@Scarlet, I have never lost a screw through it becoming loose, and I suspect I could leave them longer without tightening without anything going seriously wrong. I have to admit to skiing some rather dubious surfaces off piste which could have rattled the skis around a bit.

@big_ben, The reason for using allen head screws would be that you can apply more torque with an allen key than with a screwdriver. They would also be less prone to graunching with ice and snow getting stuck in the head.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@bolderz, Got Torx in mine but know what you mean. I've started to mark the screws with a perm marker to ID if they are moving.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Another reason to use Binding Freedom over Quiver Killer. Their screws have locking serrations under the head (like normal alpine binding screws) to help prevent screws loosening. They’ve also got a Pozi 3 head as opposed to Pozi 2. Still apply Vibra-Tite, though. You can purchase them from Anything Technical in the UK too.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Looking around I have found the original discussion of why Vibra-Tite is preferred to Loctite:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=70966

and this on Loctite:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=70048
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@bolderz, I've got QK on several pairs of my skis. Originally installed so I could share a Beast across multiple skis they became redundant (for that purpose) when the Beasts became so cheap I bought multiple extra pairs. As a result the bindings have now been mounted untouched on a couple of pairs for, lets say, 80 ski days on one pair and 20 ski days on another. They have not needed tightening at all.

I reckon your problem is def with not letting the Vibra-Tite dry. My understanding is it's not a thread locker in the way Loctite is, but rather a (sort of rubbery) thread coating that then acts much like a nyloc nut would, resisting loosening due to vibration.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@bolderz, your issue is most definately because you've not let the VC3 dry.

And do NOT use Loctite with QK/BF inserts as it's very harmful to many of the plastics used in ski bindings so if it comes in contact which such the plastic will fail within a short period and without any warning signs.

@crosshatch, no.3 pozi screws are a solution to problem that doesn't exist and often make the screw head too large to use
in mamy models of bindings. And the serated underside has little or not affect at the torques used.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@spyderjon Is it possible for you to stock the vc3 in bottles rather than sachets?

I got a 5ml tube from a Dutch archery supplier here https://archery.ixpesports.nl/contents/en-uk/p15079.html
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
To illuminate by delving a little deeper into how the threads would lock, a steel screw/bolt in a metal threaded bore has to reach a torque level that distorts the threads by stretching and compression of the opposing components to make it secure.

Basically, as you tighten the bolt sufficiently to achieve this the bolt is stretched and will elongate the thread pitch. The "hole" will compress and shorten it's thread pitch. The conflict this brings effectively locks a bolt into a thread within the elasticity of the materials, and won't reverse out in use.

In this application it's unlikely to meet the torque required to do that. It will in all probability strip out the mounting prior to reaching that level, hence the need to use a supplementary solution to obtain a fixture that won't vibrate loose.

The solution described to use vc3, and let it dry, will effectively give the interference required to prevent the parts moving under normal service load but still work within the maximum bolt torque the structure can realistically support.
ski holidays
@spyderjon, so we don't like blue Loctite anymore?
latest report
geoffers wrote:
@spyderjon Is it possible for you to stock the vc3 in bottles rather than sachets?

I got a 5ml tube from a Dutch archery supplier here https://archery.ixpesports.nl/contents/en-uk/p15079.html

Yep, I'll have those 5ml tubes for the start of next season. The problem with the tube is that it's the same price as 5no. 1ml sachets but the last couple of ml left in the tube can go off if you don't use it quickly enough.
snow report
Mosha Marc wrote:
@spyderjon, so we don't like blue Loctite anymore?

No matey. Most of the binding manufactures said no to it years ago and I've posted that on here numerous times. Ask Chris Bingham what happened to the base plates of his toe bindings. You might get lucky with some makes/models of binding and it probably depends how much you slop it around but as it's designed to be applied/installed wet it's pretty hard not to get it were it should go.
snow report
@spyderjon, is vc3 suitable for use on ski boot heel and toe piece bolts as mine have a habit of slackening?
ski holidays
pieman666 wrote:
@spyderjon, is vc3 suitable for use on ski boot heel and toe piece bolts as mine have a habit of slackening?

Yep, it's perfect for that but, as above you must coat the threads and let them dry (5-10 mins) before installing the screws.
ski holidays
Thanks @spyderjon, I will order some from you. Although @£1.50 a pop you may not be able to retire on the proceeds...
snow report
Just on the Allen bolt idea to get more torque - you don’t want to over tighten otherwise you’ll break the fixing between QK and ski / araldite and the QK itself will be loose in the ski.

I’ve had a couple of QK issues this year - opposite problems really.

At the start of the winter I removed the screws and a couple took the QK inserts with them. The vibratight seemed to have “set” a bit over summer. I’ll definitely leave to screws inserted but loose when in storage this summer.

Second one was at the top of a skin track when my Mrs found her binding heel very lose. Bit of a walk out as no screwdriver and too loose to risk skiing and losing screws or whole heel piece! Thankfully we weren’t too far from the lift station!

Lesson learnt! Now carry screwdriver and have redone all the vibratight.
ski holidays
spyderjon wrote:

@crosshatch, no.3 pozi screws are a solution to problem that doesn't exist and often make the screw head too large to use
in mamy models of bindings. And the serated underside has little or not affect at the torques used.

@spyderjon, I never said that Pozi 2 screws are a problem. Every ski shop will have a Pozi 3. Let’s face it, most DIN adjustments and mounts (apart from that ‘orrible Dynafiddle torx tat!) are done with a Pozi 3 (or large flat head) so it just saves folk having to carry more tools.

The serrated heads have made a difference in my experience in real world skiing and that’s why I suggested them. Binding Freedom products (screws, inserts and tools) just knock spots off the cheap QK offerings in my opinion, and yes, I’ve used both.
latest report
I got my skis QK a few weeks back, couldn't get upto nottingham in the end sorry Jon. I will buy some replacement screws and vibra tite from your site though snowHead

Have a question though someone here can probably answer, Do I need to adjust the heel to my BSL each time I change the skis right? Assuming so if I measure by using my boot by sight til it clicks in and out I could perhaps be a mm out but still locking the boot so it's good to ski on or I should be really precise with this and measure to the mm?

On marker jesters the heel slides back off the base plate easily until a few screws to adjust the boot length. There really is less holding the heel in place than I would've thought Shocked just the spirals in the heel plate and the heel

Pics below not mine as not near my skis at the moment but they show the heel plate and screw I adjusted to move the heel to my BSL and hopefully not allow any heel movement.

[img]https://theskimonster.com/files/theskimonster/ckfinder/images/xAdjusting-Marker-Griffon-Bindings.JPG.pagespeed.ic.0IlOnV3PLx.webp[/img]
snow conditions
@Lost in the trees, Jon will not doubt be along shortly, but the bindings will have a forward pressure adjustment/marker, which is how you fine tune to make sure they fit the boot correctly. Just being able to click in doesn't necessarily mean the binding will work properly. Check the destructions for your particular binding online and it should tell you how to adjust.
latest report
Goodpoint SnoodlesMcFlude I did adjust the DIN on both back and front as well which I've done a few times before a wind them down when in storage. I need to check the AFD height still before i ski them. It's more getting the heel piece onto the plate that worries me as first time adjusting that.
snow report
@Lost in the trees, the din setting and forward pressure are different. As @SnoodlesMcFlude says, check the instructions for your bindings to see how the forward pressure is marked as it's different for different bindings. Just adjusting the position of the heel piece by eye is unlikely to get this right and your binding might not be set properly.
ski holidays
Correct Fwd pressure on those worm screw markers is the screw head flush with the housing. Yes you should check it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Assuming Jesters are the same as Griffons what seems to work for me is:
1. Check the adjuster on the heal is set so the flat is showing on the worm gear.
2. Slide the heal on and screw it well back.
3. Click in a boot and wind heal forward till adjuster screw head is flush.
4. Remove, then reclick the boot and check the adjuster screw head's still flush, tweaking if necessary.

Only takes a minute or two per-ski.
snow report
As above but do not make any adjustment with the boot installed as it puts a lot of load of the metal track in the base which is easily chewed up. Instead remove the boot to adjust and reinstall the boot to check etc.

If you're using QK inserts then once you've adjusted the heel length you can mark its position its base so you can adjust straight to it the next time you remount the bindings.
snow conditions
Will stop doing that then Smile
snow conditions
spyderjon wrote:
As above but do not make any adjustment with the boot installed as it puts a lot of load of the metal track in the base which is easily chewed up. Instead remove the boot to adjust and reinstall the boot to check etc.

If you're using QK inserts then once you've adjusted the heel length you can mark its position its base so you can adjust straight to it the next time you remount the bindings.

Marking the position on the heel plate is a good idea, thank you.

I switched my skis over 3 times in 7 days to test my new skis, get through some sunny ice then enjoy a bonus powder day. No issues or concerns with QK or bindings. Will mark the position, buy some refill loclite and also take a flathead screwdriver for the heel vs posi for the screws.
ski holidays
@spyderjon put some QK in skis for daughter. She has skied 5 seasons on them and never tightened a screw. Has not taken them off either. So I suspect it is the application that is wrong.
snow report
I've used Binding Freedom for a few seasons now and I haven't had a problem with loose screws (I don't think - haven't checked for a while Embarassed ). I did follow the instructions (repeated in other posts) about using the VibraTite properly. When I installed them I used some West System epoxy that was left over from a boat project and that stuff is pretty bomb-proof so hoping that there'll be no issue with accidentally removing the inserts rather than just the screws.
ski holidays
Lost in the trees wrote:
Will mark the position, buy some refill loclite and also take a flathead screwdriver for the heel vs posi for the screws.

I'm sure it's mentioned further up the thread but don't use loctite for this application.
snow conditions
Previously, I have had to tighten the QK screws every couple of days or so. However, I got much better results this time over Christmas when I used plenty of Vibra-Tite and made sure it was dry before use. You seem to need a lot more Vibra-Tite than you would use with Loctite (not recommended for use with skis)
Off to @spyderjon for more Vibra-Tite...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy