Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BINDING INSERTS & LOCTITE

Poster: A snowHead
I have been advised by Quiver Killer that Loctite may be harmful to some of the plastics of which bindings are composed.

There have been specific reports of 22 Designs' bindings (ie, Hammerhead telemark bindings) cracking were Loctite has contacted it's plastic. For this reason, 22 Designs specifically forbids the use of Loctite with their bindings.

This problem has only arisen for 22 Designs' bindings & there have been no other reports of binding failures of other manufacturers. Quiver Killer have been using Loctite 242/3 (blue) on fasteners for the installation of Fritschi, Marker and Salomon bindings for over a year of use with zero issues. Furthermore, racers have been using Loctite on the binding screw interface with metal race plates for years without issue. And if your specific binding is an all metal design then of course there would be no issue.

Nevertheless, Quiver Killer are recommending the use of a more plastics friendly alternative. A couple of alternatives are:

Loctite Quicktape 249
This is Loctite in a tape form you first wrap around the fastener before installation. Still the same material, but in a form that is easy to segregate from the binding.

Vibra-tite VC-3
This is a non-anaerobic formula that is benign to all plastics. This material is first painted onto the fasteners and let to dry before installation. The fasteners in this case may be un- and re-installed several times without reapplication.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've been wondering about the use of Loctite on inserts and plates, so this makes interesting reading.

Surely, once you'Ve swapped bindings on and off quite a few times you're going to end up with an, admittedly small, glue deposit in the insert / plate screw hole. Am I making up a potential issue which doesn't exist? Or if it is something that might cause a small problem, how might one go about getting the deposit out?

Just a thought from a completely non-practical kinda chap ...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
spyderjon, any chance you can bulk buy the Quicktape and then sell it on in small servings?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
+1 for the tape, like the sound of it, hate fannyin about with glue. Anyone used the tape before?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I liked the sound of Vibra-tite untill I saw it went at £58 for 50ml Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
zammo wrote:
.....Am I making up a potential issue which doesn't exist?...

Yes
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar wrote:
spyderjon, any chance you can bulk buy the Quicktape and then sell it on in small servings?

I'm on it & will advise asap.

Personally I'm carrying on using 243.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
if you are careful presumably there's no reason for the loctite to come into contact with the binding Puzzled

i'm just using a drop or two on the very end of the screw
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arno, very end? Surely it has to go on the thread?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Arno wrote:
if you are careful presumably there's no reason for the loctite to come into contact with the binding Puzzled

Exactly.

I put a blob on the bottom few threads & then shake the screw to remove the excess liquid & leave just a thin coating in the threads.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar wrote:

Done some research on the 249 Quicktape. Unfortunately it's a US product only & Loctite UK refuse to supply it rolling eyes There's over 6.5m on a roll but it's not possible to repackage it as it only has a short shelf life once removed from it's original packaging. It's designed for larger diameter bolts than M5. Taking all this in to account it's really a non starter.

The Vibra-tite product has recently been tested by Nick at Quiver Killer. Vibra-tite are offering us a 'one-use' pack which are pretty small so Nick emptied the liquid in to a mountain bike tyre tube cap. The end of each screw is dipped in and set it aside to dry. Once dry they go in nice and clean & are re-usable without reapplication. One packet was more than enough for one set of screws (18 for his Barrons) but two sets of screws from one packet would be pushing it a bit though.

The holiday period has affected lead time but I should have the Vibra-tite one-use packs available in a couple of weeks.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PSA: Having had the inserts done, I nipped into halfrauds for some threadlock.

However, the cack handed of us may be reassured to know that they sell Loctite Blue 248, which comes in a "pritstick" type dispenser as shown here

It seemed a bit more travel freindly than normal glue, so I went for that one. Just hoping it works now.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I skied with Quiver Killer inserts for 5 days over the Christmas holiday without using any Loctite product. Before skiing I made sure all the binding screws were done up tightly. I double checked the screws after 5 days and found that although they were all fairly secure each one of them required a quarter turn of the screwdriver to bring them back to the same level of tightness as when I mounted the bindings.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks Rob.

I was wondering about leaving them with nowt on myself. Your test doesn't sound too bad, I think Kitenski had sme loosening after one day though.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just back from a week in the 3V. Correctly torqued but unbonded screws lasted a day & half before needing a eigth/quarter turn to retighten. Then used Vibratite VC3 & they were solid all week & are still bang on torque when checked at home today.

I'll have the 'one use' sachets of the Vibratite VC3 (as referred to in my post above) in my online store in the next couple of days. Depending on customs charges they'll be about a £1 a sachet. This is a non-anaerobic formula that is guaranteed benign to all plastics & is the only threadlock recommended by QK.
snow report
Interesting mine needed a 1/4 turn after a few uk turns last year, I wonder if I'd left them all day they would have been ok??
latest report
for those of a nerdy disposition Very Happy

http://www.boltscience.com/pages/junkertestvideo.htm

Slightly different application but we had good results by drilling full length through the bolts and adding those whizloc spikey washers as well as thread locking compounds.
snow conditions
spyderjon, can I get some of the Vibratite ordered and posted out before I go away Tuesday next week please? I assume this means I can move bindings from pair to pair without having to add anything to the scews whilst on holiday Smile
snow report
spyderjon, Hi I am new to snowheads and just mounting my skis with quiver killers. What is you online store so I can order some vibratite. Thanks
ski holidays
dougljam, Welcome to snowHead

The link is in spyderjons signature http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/
ski holidays
Hi there... That tape sound a lot like the tape I use... Plumbers PTFE tape! Available from diy shops for a few pence, it seems to work a treat when a little is wrapped around the threads. I can't quite remember where I got the tip from but I've had no issues with bolts coming loose....
latest report
Vibra-Tite VC3 is now in stock.

orangekss, PTFE tape is excellent as a plumbers water sealant but it is not designed to lock a thread that's subject to this kind of vibration - I tried it on rifle scope mount screws years ago & it was useless whereas blue locktite worked perfectly.

kitenski, three sachets in tomorrows post to you.
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
kitenski, three sachets in tomorrows post to you.

Cheers Jon, so I empty them into a bike valve cap, dip each screw in and leave for x hours, is that all that is required?

regards,

greg
ski holidays
rob@rar, mm. Thanks for that - I have just had to remove and replace a heel binding - and had thought screwing home firmly would be sufficient. Not time to get some VC3 before setting off tomorrow - may be I'll use blue loctitite - with care.
snow conditions
My binding has plastic base (bit of a surprise that) but I think I can keep the loctite clear with care. Is there likely to be anything in the insert which could be damaged by it? The insert appeared to have a plastic thread when I looked. OTOH spyderjon suggests a long history of blue loctitie being OK - except for damaging one make of bindings.
snow report
I had another careful look at the inserts - and tapped them. Although they look blue, they do sound like metal - so I guess they just may be anodised - or I am seeing the old locking compound. Loctite 243 applied very carefully and bindings screwed home. But I just may take that Posi 3 driver with me - in my ski bag wink
ski holidays
Chaps, I have had to take my FKS 180s off my new skis as Rossignol are going to replace them due to defective toe piece.. When remounting I'm thinking I should use quiver killlers to make sure I get a strong fixing second time around - is there anything specific you need for different types of bindings.. FKS in particular?
snow report
HenryL, you just need the M5 screws for your specific bindings - which I can supply.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
quick report I used Vibra-tite recently on some screws holding down Markers into quiverkillers. The bindings were rock solid after 4 days skiing and some skinning.

I removed one set of bindings for the journey home, the screws were as tight as when installed. When I'd tried them without vibra-tite some screws had loosened on a previous trip even after one run.

So a pic of 3 screws, 2 that have been used and one that hasn't. There is still some vibra-tite left in the threads of the used screws, do folk think it would still provide a tight fit on 2nd use?

snow conditions
Boooom, a season in Cham awaits you, come do it here!!!! wink
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, you stocking these or anything similar?
ski holidays
Sideshow_Bob, We've done the Dyna-duke and the Solly version. Had alot of delam' problems with K2 backside range. They've helped a ton to make a tight sandwich.
snow report
kitenski, yes
snow report
Mosha Marc wrote:
PSA: Having had the inserts done, I nipped into halfrauds for some threadlock.

However, the cack handed of us may be reassured to know that they sell Loctite Blue 248, which comes in a "pritstick" type dispenser as shown here

It seemed a bit more travel friendly than normal glue, so I went for that one. Just hoping it works now.

Big bump, Mosha Marc, but another thumbs-up for the Loctite 248 in the pritstick type tube. Little Angel It's so much easier and more convenient to use than the Vibratite sachets and it's just as 'locky'. Very Happy
snow conditions
spyderjon, Loctite 243 needs the absence of oxygen and the presence of 2 metal surfaces to work as a thread lock compound. Using it on plastic is a waste of time.
ski holidays
Spyderman, A Quiver Killer insert system is exactly that, ie two metal surfaces & air tight (or pretty much air tight). The issue with liquid Loctite is that if gets on some plastics in liquid form then it can cause the plastic to subsequently fracture under load - which is why a number of binding manfacturers say not to use it. There's a thread on TGR detailing a number of failures.
snow report
moffatross, my experience with 248 is that it needs to applied every time as opposed to the VC3 which'll do a number of insert/removals before needing to be re-applied.
ski holidays
spyderjon, yep, I agree with that and it is a compromise. The Vibratite dipped screws are still red on the thread when removed whereas the Loctite 248 dabbed ones mostly just sport a few small, blue bogeys when you take them out. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Having inserts put on three pairs of skis, wondering what's best to use.

Options are .....

1. LOCTITE® 249 Quick Tape (except everywhere is out of stock at the moment - may not be available any more)
http://www.conrad.at/ce/de/product/892864/

2. Various threadlock liquids from Loctite, Liqui Moly, Toolcraft, ergo etc

3. Vibra tite VC 3
https://www.buerklin.com/de/katalog/Gewinde-Sicherungsmittel-Typ-Beteo-VC-3-Vibratite-L665800.html

Will option 2 be OK for dynafit touring bindings?
If not - which opttion is best?
snow report
spyderjon, Send me a PM and I'll order it in. Little Angel
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy