Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

For £100 I can get......

Poster: A snowHead
Looking for a second hand pair of skis. Budget £100.
I am 6foot 4, 18 stone intermediate skier. Never go off piste. Current skis are 20 years old and 190cm. They were good skis back when new, great in a straight line, but are just too long for making quick turns.
Any suggestions? I have been looking at those shops on eBay that ship from Poland
Cheers
Smag
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ah, polish gang skis... rolling eyes

I would spend a bit more in all honesty, you'll get something a bit newer with good edges...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you could stretch your budget to £130 Decathlon will sell you a set of their own brand Wedze skis and bindings.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have something that might be of interest to you, I’d only want £50 or so. But, said skis are in Austria at the moment, and would require shipping if you were interested. They’re c.10-11 years old, and look like this

https://utahskigear.com/shop/177-volkl-unlimited-ac-30-skis-0809-with-marker-motion-ipt-11-0-tc-bindings/

I’m 6 foot, and was 17 stone ish, when I last skied them, and they’re a powerful, stiff ski, that suits a bigger guy. They’re 177 length, and have a Marker rail binding system, so I don’t think boot length is an issue. If this is something that you want to follow up, by all means PM me. I lovingly looked after them, but I’m sure with a decent service, there’s plenty of life left in them yet......
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Timberwolf wrote:
I have something that might be of interest to you, I’d only want £50 or so. But, said skis are in Austria at the moment, and would require shipping if you were interested. They’re c.10-11 years old, and look like this

https://utahskigear.com/shop/177-volkl-unlimited-ac-30-skis-0809-with-marker-motion-ipt-11-0-tc-bindings/

I’m 6 foot, and was 17 stone ish, when I last skied them, and they’re a powerful, stiff ski, that suits a bigger guy. They’re 177 length, and have a Marker rail binding system, so I don’t think boot length is an issue. If this is something that you want to follow up, by all means PM me. I lovingly looked after them, but I’m sure with a decent service, there’s plenty of life left in them yet......

Looking for something a little newer and with tighter turn radius. But thanks for the offer
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
HutToHut wrote:
If you could stretch your budget to £130 Decathlon will sell you a set of their own brand Wedze skis and bindings.

Are they any good? Would they handle my bulk Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thomasski wrote:

I would spend a bit more in all honesty, you'll get something a bit newer with good edges...

I only skis 4-5 days a year so not after anything fancy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@smagsmith, ...with your specs I would go with skis that have a reputation for edge hold - Volkl would be a very good place to start. If you are mainly on-piste then look at the old AC series, or RTMs if you can stretch to a bit more, or wider waist go with Mantras etc. Head skis also have this vice-grip reputation and worth looking there too.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@valais2,
Thanks for the advice. I will take a look
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@smagsmith, no experience of them. Bit of info in this thread and I see the £130 ones top out at 165cm, so maybe a bit short for you. Saw them because one year we had the cunning plan to do Ryanair to Verona, hire car, buy skis from nearby Decathlon and tour round some South Tyrol ski areas. Unfortunately they would have been shut by the time we left the airport.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
HutToHut wrote:
@smagsmith, no experience of them. Bit of info in this thread and I see the £130 ones top out at 165cm, so maybe a bit short for you. Saw them because one year we had the cunning plan to do Ryanair to Verona, hire car, buy skis from nearby Decathlon and tour round some South Tyrol ski areas. Unfortunately they would have been shut by the time we left the airport.

another possible snag is that the decathlon full range is mostly only in France, reduced/adjusted for supply elsewhere!
They do deliver quite well, or allow for supermarket pickups, which are a little more time flexible
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
smagsmith wrote:
Looking for a second hand pair of skis. Budget £100.
I am 6foot 4, 18 stone intermediate skier. Never go off piste. Current skis are 20 years old and 190cm. They were good skis back when new, great in a straight line, but are just too long for making quick turns.
Any suggestions? I have been looking at those shops on eBay that ship from Poland
Cheers
Smag

Any skis offered by shops at the price means that they're ex-demo's and should be avoided. The ones offered by the Polish shops were purchase by them as ex-demo's from French/Austrian/Italian/Swiss shops are are being re-sold. Only buy from from UK based private sellers but to be honest unless you're dead lucky you'll get f'all for £100 so you need to up your budget.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I agree with the above, if you are after a relatively modern piste ski that is suitable for you, you are going to struggle to find something worth buying for £100
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And no, Decathlon don't do a ski suitable for you at £130. Their nearest would be £349 but you could buy a far better low mileage used ski/binding combo for that.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
smagsmith wrote:
Thomasski wrote:

I only skis 4-5 days a year so not after anything fancy

Rent premium skis.
snow report
I’ve got a pair of Dynastar CR 74’s sitting in the cave that I’ve used once. Bought 2nd hand to try and keep up when my kid was racing but he’s ditched that for freeride club and they’re gathering dust. You can have them for £100 (I paid 200chf). They’re 185cm length and well built skis (heavy) with very little wear. You need some weight/strength to bend them but they hold an edge and don’t have a speed limit!

https://www.snowmagazine.com/ski-gear/955-skis/dynastar-cr74-fluid

latest report
This is not an impossible search but I'd say up the budget a touch. Aim for a ton but be prepared to double it for the right product.

2 years ago I managed to buy a pair of second hand Head World Cup Rebel GSRs for about £140 on eBay and picked them up a few days later. Taking them to chill factore revealed plenty of life left in them and still far livelier than the very vanilla 80mm All Mountains I'd been considering as my piste skis before that. They were really a test to see if I fancied buying myself some new ones although I think I've since decided I want the SLR instead.

Anyway point of the story... Aim for 200, hope for 100, and probably land somewhere in the middle. Expecting tight turning piste skis in anything other than utterly knackered condition for a hundred dobs is a high bar to set yourself but doubling your money should give you something totally attainable that'll still cover its own cost in 4 weeks of not renting.
snow conditions
@smagsmith, Also suggest you do as @dp, above suggests! A couple of other ski-sellers on Ebay are …. ski4fun, Skibarn.
Pity your post is a couple of weeks too late for the skis I just sold (which got nowhere near their real worth on Ebay).
However, I doubt anyone on Snowheads would believe that I replaced these with a pair of 2018 Whitedot One's, 180cms, including Marker demo bindings, used 7 days, for ……………………………… £146.
Why anybody does not seriously consider Ebay as their baseline/go-to site stuns me. Ignore the stupid prices on some listings, I've seen 2017 Kendo 184 with bindings go for £180, 2018 Salomon XDR88 virtually new in 186cms for less £200. Just be patient, set yourself a range of skis to look at, go for the most recent and most decent set of skis, be flexible in what you will accept. Always do your homework on the ski reviews.

Good hunting.
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
I’ve got a pair of Dynastar CR 74’s sitting in the cave that I’ve used once. Bought 2nd hand to try and keep up when my kid was racing but he’s ditched that for freeride club and they’re gathering dust. You can have them for £100 (I paid 200chf). They’re 185cm length and well built skis (heavy) with very little wear. You need some weight/strength to bend them but they hold an edge and don’t have a speed limit!

https://www.snowmagazine.com/ski-gear/955-skis/dynastar-cr74-fluid

Very tempted. The only worry is they are aimed at advanced or expert. I am only a steady intermediate. Worried that I would struggle on them.
snow report
@smagsmith, you're 6'4"/18st so they'll be fine for you.
ski holidays
@smagsmith, Dude, if you don't take them, I'll bit his hand off. Solid ski n perfect for you to improve into! Can't go wrong for £100!! (Very generous of him; could get more on eBay)
Just buy them snowHead
ski holidays
@smagsmith, if you can get yourself out to Verbier (or close by) you’re welcome to try them. They certainly don’t take prisoners. I was flying down the GS course on them hanging on for dear life! You’re a lot bigger than me though so suspect you need a ski with a bit of fight in it.
latest report
@smagsmith, I'd bite his d**k off for them Shocked sweet skis for a piste hound and @AL9000, is not the only one with cash in hand for them Twisted Evil
snow report
@BobinCH,
Ok. I will take them. Thanks for the offer. I have inboxed you.
Cheers
Smag
ski holidays
Phew! My lunch money is in tact.

Now work on getting to the mountains at least two weeks a year. Anything less just isn't civilised! YOLO snowHead
snow report
Ok here are the pics of the skis. 2016 model but a bit more more wear than I remember. Still got wax on them from last service and a decent amount of edge left. Pretty expensive to shop to the UK though (61chf). Let me know if you’re still interested.

snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy