Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

100km Inc Lifts Non-Stop Piste Cruising Challenge

Poster: A snowHead
If stats is your thing then I can see a 100km combined distance been a target at some point in your ski world , I personally removed a app from my phone many years ago that recorded these type of things.

Everybody to there own.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Mr.Egg, now that I have withdrawn from politics on the “other” thread ... that’s hilarious and quite an achievement. I fear either or both of your route planning and or your schedling monitor were a little deficient, but lesson learned for next attempt.

Great sporting results rarely happen by accident, but by incremental learning from error.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I should note that the “classic” circuit of the Portes du Soleil was always estimated at around 80km, inc. lifts. (This may no longer be the case as some lifts have moved).

Back in the day (i.e. long skinny skis, less piste bashing) we would easily get intermediate groups round in a day, typically with a decent lunch.

100k vertical feet however is an entirely different matter. That’s the vertical that CMH includes in a week long ski package. To do that in a day is pretty impressive even just on timing! (In fairness we hit 180k on our last trip but we had three fast groups in our helo).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No wonder I was blowing hard. Ive just checked my first run on the mountain with John Barr and espri in Dec 16, and we did 62clicks on the piste and 44ks on the lifts. And I get at least 15 years head start on one of them!! That was at Saalbach/Hinterglemm. And I recall a stop for kind of lunch
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A lot depends on the quality of the lift infrastructure for these kind of challenges. 100km is a nice figure for a good day's skiing though and maybe safer than things like the 100kph challenge which some (not snowheads I'm sure) were doing. The important thing is to get out on the slopes and if a challenge keeps the motivation up then why not?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
davidof wrote:
A lot depends on the quality of the lift infrastructure for these kind of challenges. 100km is a nice figure for a good day's skiing though and maybe safer than things like the 100kph challenge which some (not snowheads I'm sure) were doing. The important thing is to get out on the slopes and if a challenge keeps the motivation up then why not?

I used to really enjoy the Trois Vallees Escapade where you had to pass through various lifts throughout the whole area and received a nice certificate. I was quite surprised how carefully my liftpass data was scrutinised before I was deemed fit.

Sadly they no longer offer it.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
andyrew wrote:
davidof wrote:

I used to really enjoy the Trois Vallees Escapade where you had to pass through various lifts throughout the whole area and received a nice certificate. I was quite surprised how carefully my liftpass data was scrutinised before I was deemed fit.

l'Alpe d'Huez used to promote "everesting" the ski area - that is skiing a number of the black pistes to complete more than 8000 vertical meters in a day but a quick check of the website doesn't show this either. You had to do these runs:-

Pic Blanc (3330 m) - Piste du Tunnel – 2700 – Piste des Rousses – l’Alpette – Piste des Chalets – Montfrais – Piste de la Vaujaniate – La Villette (1295 m)
Pic Blanc (3330 m) – Piste du Tunnel - 2700 - Piste des Chamois – 2100 – Piste de Poutran – Piste de l’Olmet - Oz en Oisans (1340 m)
Pic Blanc (3330 m) – Piste de la Sarenne - Gorges de Sarenne (1510 m)
Pic Blanc (3330 m) - Piste du Tunnel – 2700 - Piste des Rousses – l’Alpette – Piste des Chalets – Piste de la Fare - L’Enversin d’Oz (1125 m)

That's actually quite a logistical challenge to get done in a day for various reasons including the actual opening and closing of the pistes and lifts.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Last day of BB 2018, late start, 9.30,due to faffing. end 17.00 (missed last link and Arabba fly due to white out at top of Pordoi on return rolling eyes ) Alp de Suise, back via Ortesi. ski 54km, lifts 47km (includes 2 bus journeys 14km) Total 101.8km.

(not sure if ski tracks counted the lift down to Ortesi as a lift or a run)

Last year, had a couple of 50km+ ski days without rushing anywhere and break periods.

If you took the time to plan a route, 80km skiing and 150 total should be a bit more of a challenge.

If I can round up a couple of volunteers, might give it a go on the BB
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof wrote:
andyrew wrote:
davidof wrote:

l'Alpe d'Huez used to promote "everesting" the ski area - that is skiing a number of the black pistes to complete more than 8000 vertical meters in a day but a quick check of the website doesn't show this either. You had to do these runs:-

Pic Blanc (3330 m) - Piste du Tunnel – 2700 – Piste des Rousses – l’Alpette – Piste des Chalets – Montfrais – Piste de la Vaujaniate – La Villette (1295 m)
Pic Blanc (3330 m) – Piste du Tunnel - 2700 - Piste des Chamois – 2100 – Piste de Poutran – Piste de l’Olmet - Oz en Oisans (1340 m)
Pic Blanc (3330 m) – Piste de la Sarenne - Gorges de Sarenne (1510 m)
Pic Blanc (3330 m) - Piste du Tunnel – 2700 - Piste des Rousses – l’Alpette – Piste des Chalets – Piste de la Fare - L’Enversin d’Oz (1125 m)

That's actually quite a logistical challenge to get done in a day for various reasons including the actual opening and closing of the pistes and lifts.

Mayrhofen have the 'Altitude Guzzler Tour'. Looks like they still give out free certificates if you complete it in a day. I've got one somewhere. https://www.mayrhofner-bergbahnen.com/en/mountain-experience-winter/activities/skiing/tour-suggestions/
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
On above trip, found a speed trap. As some younger Germans were hitting over 90Km/h with very poor technique, I was sure I could hit 100, but the queue was about 20 minutes so we decided not to wait.

There is still an outstanding challenge between myself and another snowHead , so might go for it if we get over there again.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A little slow, but well done.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

The 3Vs' 'Escapade in a Day' https://www.latania.co.uk/skiing/escapade.html is an interesting challenge - particularly if you don't take the off-piste short cuts. Requires skiing 100km; travelling 160 km; taking 29 lifts and skiing a vertical distance of over 15 km. I did it a couple of years ago and don't think that my legs will ever be the same again!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Mike S, seems very similar to the 'four corners of the 3V piste map' challenge I met a few years ago.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mrmogulski and I are in our 70s and use ski tracks most days. 3V is our most skied area (over 40 times) and we expect to record at least 60km of downhill each day. I am a saddo who likes spread sheets so have to admit to recording data each day. I only record downhill distance not total. We have 2 days of 80km+ of downhill and max vertical is over 15000m. We find that 3V is the only area we can get such figures as others are too small or uplift too slow. We like to travel around rather than ski up and down one run just to get large numbers. We are not trying to break records just interested to see what we have done - perhaps just to check up whether we are aging and not staying the pace - but it seems we are still OK. Interesting that we have just had a week in Andorra (because we got free ski passes) and try as we did we could not get more than 60km downhill in a day we think due to the shortness of the runs. The lifts made different sounds as you went through and for 'seniors' on a free pass it played a tune which we named 'I'm an old fart'! So much time is spent on uplift for little skiing - but at least the skiing was all free and we got a good Neilson deal for the package so the two of us had a week in a catered chalet (with lots of wine) all in for just over £1000 total for the week. Now looking forward to the Birthday Bash...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@mogulski, sounds like you're enjoying your skiing Very Happy
latest report
@Weathercam we had a week in Serre Chevalier at Christmas. Lots of changes since we skied there in 1993 and 2005! Some fresh snow that week which we enjoyed but again the uplift speed limited the distance per day.
ski holidays
andy wrote:
Pah!
managed 100km and stopped for lunch in the restaurant too (although it was a pdq lunch stop)

Didn't set out to do it, wasn't even a challenge, and don't seek attention / brag about it. We got back to Arabba and the watch said 98km done, and the OCD forced us to lap the black to get it to clock over 100km.
So bin there, dun that. So what. No intention of ever doing it again. Certainly not going to start a "hey look at me and what I done" thread about it, cos I know I wasn't first, and I know others that have not only done 100+ in a day, but have done more like 130+ in a day too (including one of the sH I skied with on that day).

106.75km for those that like to drool over stats. Don't recall the exact lift/piste ratio, but had a feeling it was something like 40%:60% for those that are curious.

You may not have started a thread about it but you did a) have to go back out and do it to chalk it up and b) post about it on here.

This thread was fine until it got a bit like a mud slinging contest.
snow report
99.7km today (59.1 skiing, 40.6 lifts), 10592m vertical in 4h 54m. I'd have put another run in had I have known wink
latest report
So, what happens if you do 8 round trips in the 6km long Encamp/Grandvalira cable car and then ski for 5km?

That's 101km.

So, surely, the distance to measure is that on snow, whether snow-shoeing, telemark, or downhill.
snow report
@holidayloverxx, Kookie managed 137km downhill distance (Skiline estimate) on FIS SL skis that day, the 35 lift count included the Gipfelbahn 1&2 as two. It was mostly top to bottom of the mountain, she beat me by 14km as we took different routes for the last few runs.

snow report
@Scarpa, That's our girl!
ski holidays
I find this relatively easy to achieve in resorts with a good/fast/modern lift system.

At Bardonecchia last week my biggest day was 87km inc lifts apparently and that felt like a big day out - spent a lot of time on the very long drag lift as it accessed the nicest/quietest runs... Definitely hurt my total, had I known I would have gone and sessioned the new detachable high speed 6 pack above Melezet! Or not...
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx Including lifts she must have been at approx 200km total Shocked

20,000 piste vert metres in a day is a good challenge, although on one of the Ski for Cancer events a local pensioner managed to ski over 3 times the height of Everest (over 26,544m) in a day. He was quite the celebrity at the event presentations, I suspect that he was an ex racer though.
snow report
@mogulski, that's really impressive, fair play

@Scarpa, what resort as a matter of interest? Those are insane numbers.

I'm interested to try and figure out for myself how far I ski in a day for the purposes of assessing necessity for a particular amount of pistes in a given resort. Did a measly 27k downhill in one lazy half day the one time I actually tracked it. Would like to try a long cold spring day midweek when it wasn't busy to see.
ski holidays
...and this is why I have not installed any of the ski trackers or would ever buy something like the Fenix ski watch. I ski to enjoy myself, not chase numbers. I fear that if I had one of those devices, there would be goal substitution.
snow report
Once upon a time, before ski apps, I enjoyed a week in Morzine. The formidable hotel proprietor, Pierre, of Le Petit Cheval Blanc, offered to guide us for a day, promising to visit every main village on the Portes du Soleil circuit. There followed an excellent adventure. At 3 different mountain restaurants a tray of shots was lined up for us before we arrived. We also had a proper sit down table service lunch, with copious bottles of wine.
Exhausted but very happy at the end, Pierre announced we'd skied over 100kms. I can neither prove nor disbelieve this, based on feedback from my legs. After a couple of well earned pints, Pierre then added casually that he'd entered us as his team in the weekly inter-hotel slalom race in Morzine Shocked Crashed out at the third gate to end an unforgettable day. snowHead
snow conditions
ulmerhutte wrote:
...and this is why I have not installed any of the ski trackers or would ever buy something like the Fenix ski watch. I ski to enjoy myself, not chase numbers. I fear that if I had one of those devices, there would be goal substitution.

That's why I gave up taking photos. I'm on the slopes to ski, not to 'capture the moment'.
snow conditions
When my pal and I go on our "lads' weekend" we always set ourselves a little "challenge".
It all started, in a bar one night, when we pondered what the equivalent of a "marathon for runners" was for skiers. He also cycles, and he mentioned a particular distance which, for amateur cyclists, is the barrier you pass and know that you're a serious cyclist.

We initially suggested suggested 100miles skiing... but that would require a really good, fast, reliable lift system with no queues.
Instead we went for 100miles during the 3-day trip. and nailed it after just 2 days.
In subsequent trips, we have set ourselves the challenge of "Every lift", or "Every run that is pisted".

We don't do it out of some macho "competition", but it does provide a sense of "purpose" during a compressed trip. As you can probably guess, neither of us are able to just "relax" either at work... or on holidays!!!!

(that said... when I ski with the family... we spend more time drinking coffee/VinChaud and slowly cruising Blues)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think it's a first in Africa?
On 13 July 2022 at AfriSki in Lesotho. Just short of my 72 Birthday I completed 101 km . On a 600 meter slope. It took 80 runs on the T bar lift.
Started at 7:00 in the morning, the lift opened two hours early for race club members doing slalom training.
I used the empty slope for a few fast runs, got to 86,8 km/h. The rest of the runs were to use the width of the slope to get distance.
The weather deteriorated at 11 and due to strong gusty winds the lift was reduced to half speed (5.5 km/h to avoid derailleur.
Whilst my calculated finish at 15:30 has moved now to past closing time, I thank the resort to keep the lift running till I achieved the target of 80 runs and 101 km distance.
snow report
Welcome to Snowheads, @Roland Raible. snowHead What an utterly brilliant first post.
latest report
Thank you.
snow report
Cool: https://afriski.net/activities/skiing-and-snowboarding/

It's on google maps/ streetview also - obviously not massive, but if one happened to be in the area...
When is it likely to be open/ reasonable to go?
snow conditions
Southern hemisphere winter.... I drove through Lesotho long ago (and broke down on my own in the middle of nowhere when stones thrown up from the rough road smashed my fan and the radiator) but, apart from the brown water which consequently splashed across my windscreen, the place was bone dry. Never saw the ski resort but the Drakensberg mountains are lovely. Like all mountains!
snow report
They make snow June July and August but have the odd days of real snow. The road to the resort is tarred and in good condition. They cater from Backpacker's (me), to fancy expensive apartments..
I hope they manage to sort out their reservation department, as the new owners made a real mess of it this season.
snow report
Interesting info about skiing in Lesotho, especially as I am re-reading a book about the Sani Pass at the moment by co-incidence. We spent a month in South Africa and Lesotho in autumn 2011. My father-in-law worked in Durban for Dunlop tyres for 6 months in 1955. My husband had all his father's pictures especially about testing Dunlop tyres on the Sani Pass which is refered to in the book I am reading. We travelled up the Pass and stayed a couple of nights in Lesotho but did not know about the ski area which I see is quite a long way from where we were.
Regarding skiing over 100km in a day I posted about this previously in 2020 but including uplift we regularly do over 100km. I mostly record data in a spreadsheet going back to when I retired from teaching in 2008. Most skiing likely to be in France now as Mrmogulski gets a free pass and I just have 1 more season until I get free also! No point in paying at least £200 each a week to ski elsewhere.
snow report
Thanks, it's amazing to get responses from all over the world, from people who actually visited this mountain Kingdom.
latest report
Well done!

Roland Raible wrote:
Thanks, it's amazing to get responses from all over the world, from people who actually visited this mountain Kingdom.

You might have gotten a lot more responses had you posted it as a new thread.

I glanced this thread 6 months ago and mentally marked it as “not worth further reading”. It wasn’t until it kept popping up as “unread” that I finally pop in to see what’s going on… I suspect there maybe others who felt the same about NOT-reading this thread, and missing the “update” which is many times more significant achievement than the original.
ski holidays
Thank you.
latest report
Thank you.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy