Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

100km Inc Lifts Non-Stop Piste Cruising Challenge

Poster: A snowHead
So yesterday a group of 5 of us skied non-stop over a 100km in around five and a half hours.

The group was made up of two septuagenarians, KenX, myself and my OH

Last season we set out to ski end to end of the Serre Chevalier Valley as many do and clocked up just under 70km.

This year most thought the suggestion of 100km was a good challenge, though were not too impressed when I mentioned no Cafe stops were allowed, as we could refresh whilst sitting in the gondolas.

Top speed was not on the cards I hasten to add, and when I bumped into an ESF instructor I know and said we were going for a 100km he started to caution me thinking I was talking about speed and not distance.

I should add that it's total distance and not just skiing distance.

Between us, we had various GPS devices, four of us the same watch, but there were still individual discrepancies which saw my OH and two others have to go and do a couple more runs whilst KenX and I had a beer Laughing

Top speed (not that we were interested) also varied wildly even between individual apps such as Strava, Movescount and the new Suunto App.

There was a great feeling of achievement in the group and five and half hours of activity is good in anyone's books.

My figures were 109.19km in a moving time of 4:56 and an elapsed time of 5:25 so faff time was only half an hour, waiting around and toilet breaks etc (when you're of a certain age they mount up).

My average heart was only 80bpm, half the rate when I'm cross-country skiing!

Strava track https://www.strava.com/activities/3013369283

More here on the blog and pictures and detail on how various strategies developed.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 17-01-20 10:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cool! My girlfriend loves stats and strava and stuff so I'm sending her a link to your blog now.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You and Ken are septuagenarians? wink (I know Ken is just a year or so older than me)

I did something similar a few years ago. Skied alone for about 5 hours and a friend joined me for the last 2. I was flagging and she raised my spirits and bought much needed chocolate. The track has been lost but I know it was 70km (skiing not including ascents) and 11000m of vertical. Probably about 120km in total looking at my recent ascent/descent ratio on ski tracks. Easier here probably as when it's possible a top to bottom is 15km/2300m.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There is an annual charity event at Wildcat mountain in USA. They close a trail for the participants for the day. The challenge is 50 runs at 2000 ft vertical each run, thus the 100k Challenge. That equals 30k vertical meters. It takes a full 8-8.5 hours. Lunch on the chairlift, bathroom breaks in the trees. I’ve never been so tired in my life. But the 20 participants raise about $3000 each for charity so it was worth the pain
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
^ This sounds interesting (as does the 100km challenge). I don't often get tired when I'm skiing, even on long days. But I don't know if that's because I'm able to stop whenever I want or because I could ski for ages and ages and never need a sit down. I suspect the former... wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My Bro has a Garmin Fenix which is smart enough to notice when you are skiing vs when you are on a chairlift. We were very disappointed in actual skiing times!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name, yes I have some mates in Meribel this week, and they are typically one-week thrashers, snowboard/ski hard and drink twice as hard, and should know better at their age, and four out of the six have Garmin Fenix and record the number of runs and skiing distance.

I did challenge them to it but they're unable to go for more than four hours without a beer Laughing

Though I think the young racing son might be considering giving it a go judging by his stats today.

On my Suunto I was able to have that data on a screen* but then it does not upload to Strava.

*you select Downills Counter in Alpine Skiing Mode
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was thinking this was 100km on piste WITHOUT ski lifts.

I don't know how far the distances are, but I've done the Sella Ronda, the Portes de Soleil circuit (several times), and the 3 Valleys (4 furthest reachable corners of the map in order).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I use snow tracks and last year clocked up 77.6 miles, in one day including lifts. 47.6 miles skiing. But the duration was 7:52 so nearly 8 hours. I was knackered 14,880 vertical descent. That was in the trois valleys, and pretty much only blues and red runs. Don’t think we touched black.

It was a hard days skiing but not super speedy average speed 13.9 mph.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
100 km on-piste going bell to bell would be an accomplishment. The easiest way to do it would be to find a long blue (there are a number in the alps) of 10+ km and just do laps. One which springs to mind is the long, easy blue from the top of Cret du Quart at Valloire. I think it's 14 km (maybe less?). You could probably get 10 runs in by 2 p.m. so long as you just straightlined it. Kind of boring tho, would need some good tunes...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Weathercam wrote:
So yesterday a group of 5 of us skied non-stop over a 100km in around five and a half hours.

I should add that it's total distance and not just skiing distance.

I was all set to be impressed when you said you'd skied 100km, but you didn't, did you?!

If that includes uplift then I'd say that's not abnormal. Just looking at ski tracks from Christmas we had a leisurely day pottering over from Les Menuires to Courchevel 1650, a nice picnic above signal, popping through 1850, 1550, Le praz and La Tania on the way back. Ski Tracks says that was 62.1km skied, a reasonable day out, but not anything knackering. But with uplift its 100.5km. I see a 104.4km from the previous season (looking at the map it's an almost identical route!)

Sorry, not hugely impressed! Oh and I'm a sexagenarian...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@andyrew, I did state quite clearly that I should add that it's total distance and not just skiing distance.

And as I state in the blog I link to

For some actually skiing 100km not counting lifts, could well be the next challenge, and for sure it is achievable in a resort with faster lifts than here in Serre Chevalier but you would need probably eight hours at least. And no queues.

For me, it's actually not a great challenge (I get my kicks doing other stuff), but was great to see others enjoy the day and the feeling of accomplishment they achieved.

So for all those dissing it and saying you think you've done it etc take up the challenge and let's see the evidence then Laughing

I'm off out to do some real skiing shortly, XC skating, and that is far more of a challenge than cruising on the piste believe me!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Weathercam wrote:

I'm off out to do some real skiing shortly, XC skating, and that is far more of a challenge than cruising on the piste believe me!

Enjoy the "willy waving"
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@andyrew, one wears lycra so willy firmly tucked away Laughing

And with my lack of technique can't say I'm too proud Sad

But it's a challenge
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Last time in 3V clocked 66 total km with my GF, who is quite a noob, when travelled on snowboards from Les Menuires to Courchevell and back. Another day clocked 78, part time without GF, to explover Val Thorens/Orelle side. 100 km is totally doable if you want to do that Smile my kilometers were without any rush, with beer/lunch brakes etc. Smile

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 17-01-20 12:32; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Pasigal wrote:
100 km on-piste going bell to bell would be an accomplishment. The easiest way to do it would be to find a long blue (there are a number in the alps) of 10+ km and just do laps. One which springs to mind is the long, easy blue from the top of Cret du Quart at Valloire. I think it's 14 km (maybe less?). You could probably get 10 runs in by 2 p.m. so long as you just straightlined it. Kind of boring tho, would need some good tunes...

Kookie did 100km on piste a few years ago in Austria
snow conditions
Were you bullied as a child?
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes, ???
latest report
@KenX, The willy waving and superiority complex
snow conditions
It's indeed a nice achievement, easier in some places like the Arlberg where you have longer lifts.
I just checked my stats from a few days ago, was amazed to see how many km were by lifts. We went from St. Anton to Lech through Zurs and then to Warth, played a bit on light offpiste slopes.
It's definitively less impressive if I take the lifts out Sad

snow report
@holidayloverxx, jeees get a feckin life

100km actually skied might be eligible for willy-waving Laughing

It was more about what a good day it was etc and a sense of achievement for the group not for me
snow conditions
@Weathercam, I was simply responding to KenX's question to DoTM. I agree that it sounds a great day out. The people I know who have done 100km skiing don't shout about it but it is indeed eligible for willy waving - if they were the sort of people who are snidey and patronising to those who are not as ambitious/fit/skilled/ as them. Thankfully they are not - unlike you who spend an inordinate amount of time telling us how great your achievements are like a swinging big dick and how crap everyone else is for not achieving at the same levels. Life is for living and enjoying in many different ways, not a competition.

How dare you tell me to get a feckin life. You don't know anything about me or a lot of other people here but you resort to puerile comments when we say something you don't like or want to hear in an attempt to demean or diminish us. You are a thoroughly nasty piece of work who I sincerely hope I never have the misfortune to meet. And I am far from the only person with that view on here - not that you care so you know what - just f*ck right off.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 17-01-20 14:59; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@holidayloverxx, as is so often the case you are always so ready to jump in making caustic comments, hence get a feckin life, if you can't handle comments like that then you should not have started the mudslinging darling

I now await the rest of your entourage to weigh in as seems to always be the case when it goes like this.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 17-01-20 15:03; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
we done a pub crawl last week. 2x boarders & 2x skiers - we clocked up 32km & managed to stop at 6 different mountain huts.
Missed the last free shuttle & paid 20 euros for a taxi back to our chalet Laughing
ski holidays
@Weathercam, Where did I start the mudslinging? Clearly you have a problem with comprehension

Andyrew: Enjoy the "willy waving"

DotM question : Were you bullied as a child?

Ken X question: ???

Me: The willy waving and superiority complex

BTW - mine was a statement of fact not a caustic comment (caustic comment - critical in a bitter or sarcastic way. I was neither critical, bitter nor sarcastic)

I think you'll find I wasn't the first to call you out
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
@holidayloverxx, as is so often the case you are always so ready to jump in making caustic comments, hence get a feckin life, if you can't handle comments like that then you should not have started the mudslinging darling

I now await the rest of your entourage to weigh in as seems to always be the case when it goes like this.

What rubbish. I don't have an entourage. If people decide to weigh in that's up to them. Seems you can't stand the heat darling
snow conditions
Mr.Egg wrote:
we done a pub crawl last week. 2x boarders & 2x skiers - we clocked up 32km & managed to stop at 6 different mountain huts.
Missed the last free shuttle & paid 20 euros for a taxi back to our chalet Laughing

An excellent day out!
ski holidays
What did Rhett Butler's say Laughing

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 17-01-20 15:13; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
To be fair twas I that started the mudslinging in response to this:

Weathercam wrote:

So for all those dissing it and saying you think you've done it etc take up the challenge and let's see the evidence then Laughing

Now I always take Weathercam's bombastic posts with a heavy assumed self deprecating irony and wind-up given that they often take this form

http://youtube.com/v/8dPzFUiY-tg

but maybe he's for real
snow report
@Dave of the Marmottes, sadly. I think he is.
snow conditions
@Dave of the Marmottes, I can take it from you as I think you're great Laughing and you are right of course, as I do indeed throw is a lot of self-deprecating irony and wind-up it's just that some idiots take it for real rolling eyes

And @holidayloverxx, are you coming to Serre for the OPSB as I would like to meet you and you'd see that I'm not the c**t that you think I am Laughing
ski holidays
@Weathercam, I don't think you are a c**t . If I did I would have said so.

No I'm not coming to Serre for the OPSB. The reason being is that I don't do off piste (which of course you suspect) and I will be in my own place skiing with friends.

If a lot of what you throw is a lot of self-deprecating irony and wind-up then yep...it goes right over this idiot's head. You disguise it very well
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, at my age there's no way I can maintain the natural athletic superiority I had over the likes of people like @Dave of the Marmottes, back in the day so I have to pretend I'm still that person but it's an uphill struggle and even worse on the down Laughing

Now am I being serious snowHead
ski holidays
@Weathercam, I'm 60 shortly. I am fitter than I have ever been - but that's because I am basically a lazy sod and for the past 6 years have had to keep at the gym after a knee injury (trying to put off the inevitable replacement as long as possible and succeeding so far). The words natural and athletic could never be applied to me.
snow report
@holidayloverxx, injuries happen to the best of us, only this morning we heard that a sub 60 woman that @KenX, refers to as the Gazelle is having a replacement hip op the end of the month, and another athletic guy we know here is four months into rehab after his and then have a mate out in March for his first ski since his complete knee replacement back in Sept and then there's someone else we know who had her knee replacement back Dec 1st and is missing ALL the season, and hubby is being a dutiful lady's front bottom and staying with her even though he still has his season pass Laughing

Many of the above were athletic and that's why something like the 100km challenge is great for people that maybe are not off-piste superstars etc etc, and it's something that's achievable and is in many peoples grasp and will be a sense of achievment.

How about pulling that back to on-topic Laughing

Bye for now
ski holidays
Pah!
managed 100km and stopped for lunch in the restaurant too (although it was a pdq lunch stop)

Didn't set out to do it, wasn't even a challenge, and don't seek attention / brag about it. We got back to Arabba and the watch said 98km done, and the OCD forced us to lap the black to get it to clock over 100km.
So bin there, dun that. So what. No intention of ever doing it again. Certainly not going to start a "hey look at me and what I done" thread about it, cos I know I wasn't first, and I know others that have not only done 100+ in a day, but have done more like 130+ in a day too (including one of the sH I skied with on that day).

106.75km for those that like to drool over stats. Don't recall the exact lift/piste ratio, but had a feeling it was something like 40%:60% for those that are curious.
latest report
Here are the ski tracks from my 100k vertical challenge. Phone dies/froze about 2 hours early... that was a long day. "no clue how to add photos"
ski holidays
The only surprise here is that @Weathercam hasn't posted the exact same information in another topic too.

You know, just in case we didn't read this one.
ski holidays
I think we're all agreed that 100km or thereabouts including uplift distance is not particularly unusual or arduous.

Now, where are the posts from the real 100km in a day skiers?

I'm sure it's not too difficult to cruise to, particularly around the Courchevels?

Routes to be posted.
snow report
(ps. I do notice that the title of this thread has been edited, after the event, to include "Inc lifts". Tut tut.)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy