Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Steepest pistes in The Alps

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@DB, nice find. I did look for a ski pole brake video but didn’t find one. I have used it in anger but its not great and certainly not as useful as an ice axe. More of a last resort than part of a plan.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
More info in this blast from the past.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=90981
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bumping this thread to report on skiing the Black Ibex in good snow conditions but poor visibility three times on a visit to Kaunertal today…the first part is certainly steep but short (I got 6 turns in before it levelled out) & well groomed with no actual technical difficulty bar the gradient..it is MUCH easier than (eg) the Kamikaze Ski route in Serfaus or the Innsbruck Nordkette ski route which I did earlier in the season, or even the steep Ski route in Lech above Zug which I did in doubtful conditions last week..for those who know Silvretta Montafon, I’d say the Black Ibex is a slightly steeper but wider version of the black above the Ski tunnel in Hoch Joch…wouldn’t fancy it much in ice though..
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
..maybe I should start a thread on committing ski routes instead beginning with No 4 from Sennigrat in Hochjoch which starts through gaps in the avalanche barriers with a particularly interesting “non optional” turn directly & very steeply above a notably vicious (metal) set of barriers…I am sure Clarky999 will remember it fondly..
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The steepest piste we have in the Jungfrau is the relatively new 'Direttissima' at Mürren. It’s 88%. We always skied the route before it became a piste - it was home to some of the fiercest bumps in the area.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
..& I’ll just add that including true “off piste” in the Arlberg..the most concerned I’ve been this season was on iced up & heavily moguled route no 25 (= black Itineraire) in Silvretta Nova …admittedly there is some history since I once cartwheeled the ENTIRE route from messed up first turn to the bottom ..each cartwheel went quicker & the patch of blue sky turned round me ever sickeningly faster all the way …I somehow landed unharmed in a snow drift at the bottom (I was however wearing a back protector & carrying a rucksack with shovel etc which insulated the bumps a little).. to round off my “Glück ins Unglück”..after I dug myself out of the snow I was then standing around somewhat groggily at 3.45 on a freezing January afternoon at the bottom of this lonely ski route contemplating sourly a walk out in ski boots from the lift & then having to come back early the next day on other skis to retrieve my lost poles, skis etc. Suddenly two Swiss guides from just over the border in Klosters on a day off came down the route immaculately while helpfully collecting my lost equipment on the way…since then I have always referred to that route as the “Wäschetrockner” & have treated it with appropriate respect..
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
telford_mike fwiw the Black Ibex is also allegedly 88%..but I’d do it any day rather than the “Wäschetrockner”…
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy