Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Steepest pistes in The Alps

Poster: A snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/yy1HIqzVet8
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good production values.

Video covers onpiste stuff.

But the steepest parts of the Alps are semi-piste or offpiste, like Chamonix and Verbier.

snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Harakiri is an easy black imo, wide and open and usually pisted up nicely.

Not the Alps but the Flypaper at Glencoe is probably the steepest feeling 'piste' in Europe, although any black covered in sheet ice feels like the steepest run in the world at the time.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Harakiri is an easy black imo, wide and open and usually pisted up nicely

The top half was icy as f*ck when me and my buddies did it (2013).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
TLDR;
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Whitegold wrote:

But the steepest parts of the Alps are semi-piste or offpiste, like....

Never! snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Whitegold, the name on the tin is ‘Steepest pistes in the alps’?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Whitegold wrote:

But the steepest parts of the Alps are semi-piste or offpiste, like Chamonix and Verbier.

The pic is of Mont Fort which is a marked piste.

Under the cables is usually off piste but in the past (and in this pic it looks like) they have “pisted” it and used it for speed skiing competitions. Straight lining it would be quite something!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gamsleiten 2 coming up in 3 weeks. Can’t really remember it as particularly steep, but it was 10 years ago. We will be reacquainted
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good places to avoid if you want to avoid overterrained Jerries who are "ticking it off".
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Seilbahnrinne in Innsbrück, although never groomed I guess..
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BobinCH wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

Under the cables is usually off piste but in the past (and in this pic it looks like) they have “pisted” it and used it for speed skiing competitions. Straight lining it would be quite something!
Is there a piste from the top? Last time I was up there I watched a guy going bump bump bounce bump bump all the way from the top to the bottom. His skis were still somewhere at the top...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Grand Couloir Courchevel?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Steilhang, you can see it on the right hand side of the pic. It’s marked from the top but only bashed from half way down where it mellows and turns into a lovely motorway!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BobinCH wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

Looks like it ends in a cliff too?! Doe the SPeed guys take parachutes in case they don't pull up in time at the bottom?
ski holidays
Woosh wrote:
Seilbahnrinne in Innsbrück, although never groomed I guess..

Officially designated a skiroute not a piste, otherwise it would be up there I guess!
latest report
Quote:

Last time I was up there I watched a guy going bump bump bounce bump bump all the way from the top to the bottom. His skis were still somewhere at the top...

That was me in 2001 Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
A black in Avoriaz, halfway down a track type piste crosses it and the drop in from there had me trembling.
snow report
I noticed a poster in a gondola at lech last week which was showing a run under the rufikopfbahn as 80% (72degrees) in one section of the run. Only way to access it is via a black ski route from the rufikophbahn and pommel lift and I believe the only way down after that is via the 80% route so window shopping is not possible Very Happy
snow report
MogulMonkey wrote:
I noticed a poster in a gondola at lech last week which was showing a run under the rufikopfbahn as 80% (72degrees) in one section of the run. Only way to access it is via a black ski route from the rufikophbahn and pommel lift and I believe the only way down after that is via the 80% route so window shopping is not possible Very Happy

80% is about 38° (100% = 45°, or 1 in 1, 1m forwards = 1m down)
snow report
@MogulMonkey, 80% is about 40degrees. 72degrees would look and feel like an actual cliff!
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/Llg2oBONZ3Q

http://youtube.com/v/dYcgruURzQg
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

Looks like it ends in a cliff too?! Doe the SPeed guys take parachutes in case they don't pull up in time at the bottom?

Nope. You get a Darwin Award if you can’t stop!
snow conditions
DB wrote:
http://youtube.com/v/Llg2oBONZ3Q

http://youtube.com/v/dYcgruURzQg

I did that a couple of years back. It’s bl**dy initimidating at the top - you basically throw yourself over a ledge and need to get a couple of turns in quickly to avoid the walls on each side. Was surprised it’s a piste as the risk of injuring yourself blowing out the landing must be quite high!
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
I did that a couple of years back. It’s bl**dy initimidating at the top - you basically throw yourself over a ledge and need to get a couple of turns in quickly to avoid the walls on each side. Was surprised it’s a piste as the risk of injuring yourself blowing out the landing must be quite high!

Respect !

http://youtube.com/v/PxO4oOuQZ9g
latest report
I see that the camera cut away from the landings of at least two skiers...
ski holidays
So many Darwin candidates....
latest report
I've looked at Corbet's a couple of times and decided that the bragging rights didn't outweigh the rock walls. Maybe in a very high snow year in which there was a really big sissy ramp to snowplough down........
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We have our own local version of Corbets, this, which I've skied. Very nice as it is only a 20 minute drive rather than an 18 hour flight.

snow conditions
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
I've looked at Corbet's a couple of times and decided that the bragging rights didn't outweigh the rock walls. Maybe in a very high snow year in which there was a really big sissy ramp to snowplough down........

The difficulty varies wildly, based on snow conditions.

Easy in fresh snow. Harder when icy.

~95% of folks cheat and sidestep halfway-down before jumping in.

It is not very long. Lasts a few seconds.

Hucking off the cliff is easier if you can land it. You can ride straightdown past the sidewalls and avoid the sharp turns.
latest report
A post about pistes in the Alps seems to have drifted off piste...
latest report
Captain Primrose wrote:
A post about pistes in the Alps seems to have drifted off piste...

On the contrary, surprisingly enough Corbett’s couloir is a marked piste!!!
ski holidays
@BobinCH, unless Continental drift has speeded up I don’t think Corbett’s is in the Alps.
snow report
Captain Primrose wrote:
@BobinCH, unless Continental drift has speeded up I don’t think Corbett’s is in the Alps.

Ah yes good point!
ski holidays
Captain Primrose wrote:

Not sure about Continental drift, but thread drift is a snowheads tradition Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
I've skied directly down from Mont Fort and it's not that bad. That photo, unusually, makes it look steeper than it is. And there's no cliff at the end, in fact there's an uphill bit.

At Xmas, Plan de Fou was scarier as they'd pisted it and if you fell, you'd have a hard time stopping if skis came off.

I've also skied the HariKiri, which is absolutely fine.

And I've also looked at Corbet's and like DoM I decided against it. It was an overhang, with an exposed area of rock in the obvious landing zone and an approx 3-4m drop in. Sod that.

latest report
Looks like Austria has a new steep piste called the black Ibex in Kaunertal. 41.3 Deg so steeper than the Harikiri, doesn't look that steep in this video though.

http://youtube.com/v/vxgpcI8zBas
latest report
Of those listed I've skied Spinale Direttissima in Madonna di Campiglio - 70% IIRC and it's really only the last pitch which is steep. Skiers left is the steepest and quite regularly there are racers slaloming it for practice.

I also skied the Strief/Hahnenkamm last season in Kits a week after the downhill so it was very icy and not very enjoyable.
ski holidays
DB wrote:

Respect !

http://youtube.com/v/PxO4oOuQZ9g

Nah, wusses! THESE are the ski deities...

http://youtube.com/v/4nsNVDQ2cgA

Nutters!
ski holidays
I love the Kandahar, in Garmish, it is usually fairly icy, and has a steep drop from the very top, with a gradient of 92% at one spot as you go through the run, it's over 3km long, so a good run from top to bottom.
Direttesma in serfaus is also another good steep, but it's not as long .
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy