Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Manchester Airport 2020

Poster: A snowHead
Based on this morning, my arrival 2 hours ahead of departure needed in full. It’s low season too. EZY bag drop and queue management worked well.

Security staff working hard and effectively but simply not enough of them. Only 2 conveyor / scanners staffed was the major bottleneck. There were at least 2 others close by not in use.

By contrast, Duty Free so overstaffed it’s embarrassing. No time left to shop or buy drinks and food. Imagine how much revenue they’re losing because of slow security?
snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Daughter had a small tin of vaseline in her hand luggage despite a huge sign saying that is one of the items not to have in hand luggage. The staff say that if your hand luggage needs searching, it will add on 30 mins and they aren't making it up...... Going through duty free is like going through IKEA.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Terrible airport. I've stopped using it to travel for my annual trip, much prefer to drive the 12 hours to Morzine than put up with the rudeness of security staff, expensive car parking and inevitable wait for luggage. Liverpool John Lennon is so much better if a flight can't be avoided.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@PeakyB, I’ve no complaints these days with the outbound at Manchester, security was very slick when we went out on 27 December and was quick too, all desks open. Perhaps fewer desks open now as staff take holidays after a busy period? I’d rather it was done thoroughly, no complaints from me. I don’t use duty free and can’t see the point tbph.

It’s the re-entry passport saga that annoys me, huge queues and self scan machines process is very slow.

Meet and greet T1/3 excellent now.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hate Manchester airport. Unfortunately we have to use it regularly. Rude staff, large ques, nightmare parking
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
After a very poor experience with staff at Manchester, I now make a positive decision to fly from somewhere else
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@JohnHSmith, like where?

@Debra, try the new M&G it’s brilliant
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gotta say Manchester airport is a dump.
I’m north east based so am lucky to have Newcastle on the door step but last year I used Newcastle, Glasgow, Edinburgh & Heathrow as well as Manchester.
Manchester is by far the least appealing on may levels.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
needless to say we use Liverpool, and avoid Manchester as it is disorganized.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I fully support security being done thoroughly. Just open enough scanners and conveyors, plus staff them adequately.

Staff taking holidays is no excuse. Airports typically top up staffing levels with agency and call-off contract staff anyway.

It‘a not as if they don’t know roughly how many people are going to turn up every hour.

Flexible contracts is the obvious solution. Train the security staff to sell Duty Free and the seemingly overstuffed Duty Free staff to frisk people snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Markymark29 wrote:
@JohnHSmith, like where?

@Debra, try the new M&G it’s brilliant

I am lucky enough to live in Cumbria. The nearest airport is Newcastle. Manchester Liverpool Edinburgh and Glasgow are all pretty well equidistant
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I must be travelling from a different MAN airport.

Ok, there's been a lot of re-modelling going on that hasn't helped, and it can get busy, but as it's the airport I travel most from statistically, I don't do it because it's crap.

I think part of the problem here is this :

Quote:
..... my arrival 2 hours ahead of departure needed in full .....

For something that can be a stressful experience, for some people, allowing just two hours is taking the situation out of the frying pan and into the fire.

I never allow such little time ..... for so many potential banana skins it's simply daft.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I dislike Manchester intensely, it’s a victim of its size and too many passengers going through it, that puts staff under pressure, go to a smaller airport and there's less flights therefore less people and it’s more relaxed for both staff and passenger, so for me it’s LPL where possible, and MAN if not ( both about 50 mins drive ).
Worst case of bad attitude at MAN was a few years ago on return to the airport, used the shuttle bus to the car park, after watching my wife take our baby off, and then me carry his buggy, two cases, two boot bags and finally set a of skis, the drive asked me to hurry up getting my stuff off, my response was somewhat less than friendly with a few expletives thrown in between, back bottom, get off and fat. I emailed the airport complaints, they never even acknowledged it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Every time I go thru there it's arrival at 23:00ish on a Friday, and total carnage trying to get thru the passport scanners. It used to be OK when they were just put in, but now it's a 30min snake queue to go thru those too.

And departure usually on a Sunday afternoon, again total carnage trying to get thru security (and that's the 2nd/overflow area), everyone pi55ed off and in a fluster by the time they get to the bit where you need to get half undressed, and nobody ready with their liquids and ipad out, even though they;ve been told by 3 separate attendants. They need to have 3 separate security areas... 1 for business class and regular travellers on business, 1 for competent travellers, and 1 for those that think they're competent and hope to get away without taking the lappy/ipad out and their toiletries.

Take a camera and you have to take everything out of the bag. USB cables, charger, spare lenses, the lot. Been told off multiple times for only opening the bag with the camera body out, asking if that's OK to the attendant, only to find out that no it's not OK.

Seating is mostly rammed. Bar/pub is totally rammed. 10 min queue to order food/beer. The most annoying airport I travel thru, by far, but could just be the times I use it?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
been through many times for the BA shuttle down to LHR in a morning and have had no issues, not been back through passport control in a few years, although baggage reclaim at T3 is the slowest of any airport I have visited. Security at MAN is pot luck as to who you get stuck behind, I have fastrack, and have been lucky, but I do know what I'm doing re packing etc, so haven't been sent to secondary.

2 trips out of there next month, hoping they go smoothly! One from T3 and one from T1.
latest report
Do the airbus 380s from dubai go to Manchester? At Birmingham everything runs smoothly until you arrive just after one of those has disgorged its passengers and you are at the back of 600 people - all of whom need their visas checking.

ps. I hate Manchester as well (airport, not city)
snow conditions
Yep the Emirates A380 goes to Dubai from Man. That’s what I’m on next month for one trip. Work all day, train to MAN. Work in Dubai, back overnight and straight to work again off the train. Sadly I’ll need to check a bag and be down the back.
ski holidays
Never really had a problem inbound; latest experience touched down from GVA on 10th at 15:15 and was on the M56 before 16:00.
latest report
We're fairly central to Manchester, leeds and Liverpool so flying from any isn't an issue and I've never had an issue with Manchester.

As for security, the amount of people who are unable to grasp the simple concept of taking laptops out of bags, no fluids and removing your belt are mostly to blame for the queues.
ski holidays
homers double wrote:
We're fairly central to Manchester, leeds and Liverpool so flying from any isn't an issue and I've never had an issue with Manchester.

As for security, the amount of people who are unable to grasp the simple concept of taking laptops out of bags, no fluids and removing your belt are mostly to blame for the queues.

The rules don't apply to these people. It's just the stupid security people who don't know this wink
snow conditions
Likewise never had a problem flying out of MAN. Had a few longish spells to get through security on occasion, but that was not due to staffing levels/number of lanes open, but the idiots that either can't read the multiple signs, don't listen to the staff/announcements or just simply think that they are above the rules so don't need to remove their liquids/straighteners/ipads/walking sticks/scissors etc. from their hand luggage.

Coming in is a little different, had some long queues at passport control, usually due to the e-gates which seem to take so much longer, but again that is also partially down to travellers not following instructions. Seen plenty of people get to the front without their passport ready/open on the wrong page/inserted the wrong way and wonder why it's not letting them through.
snow report
Just to add to the fun I had a note the there are roadworks due on the M56 (their junction) and to expect delays until March 2nd.
Guess who flies to on March 1st .... grrr.

All airports are a pain, but when the flight you want to the destination only goes from there no choice. Travelling is a pain. Expect it to be 2hrs to get to the cafe and pleasantly be surprised if it is less.

Seconded the comments on how un-prepared people are for the security. Its bonkers
ski holidays
Landed there on Sunday morning at 11.50. Had collected luggage, walked straight through passports with no queue at all (first time ever anywhere!) and we were out and at the station to get a train home by 12.30. A record, can't complain at 40 minutes total!
ski holidays
I prefer to avoid Manchester where poss but unfortunately it tends to offer the flights I require! Anyway, as i always say, the saga of getting through security is usually caused by either airport numpties or airport kn0bhead$, who in my experience tend to be the older folk..!
snow conditions
I agree with the eGate saga, MrsHD gets directed to them every time despite telling the staff that for the past 20 or so flights she's never been let through.
snow report
always used to go to the e-gates, even though my previous passport never worked in them. there's a manned immigration counter specially for all the e-gate rejects, and you get to jump the queue full of families that can't use the e-gates, and those needing to do all the landing card and visa stuff.
ski holidays
Much prefer Liverpool as a lot less busy if you avoid the very early flights out, but it isn’t always an option.
snow report
Airports nowadays are shopping centres with runways attached.

Stansted is the worst offender.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Can only add how horrible an experience MAN is. Unfortunately, often where I have to go through, though trying for NCL or GLA where I can.
Same reports as others - coming back can be annoying (though last few years have been a breeze ), luggage handlers and their ridiculous delays are an utter joke, and getting through security in any terminal, even turning up 4 hours early, is simply horrendous, to the point where I have seen people collapsing in those long, slow queues with the heat in there (summer & winter), and I have had to put complaints in and get formal letters from Management to show to their own security staff to explain to them what the correct liquids and medications rules are (which I get problems with every darn time Evil or Very Mad ) Security there really is a joke in so many ways. Generally easier at about 4-5am, T2, just.... Avoid any time later.
ski holidays
Took 1 hour 40 mins on 15th December to do bag drop having already checked in online and get through security. I had arrived early that morning 3 hours 10 mins before the flight and it was just as well.
No issues getting sat down for breakfast the other side.
snow conditions
I avoid Manchester whenever practical, despite being able to get pretty much door to door by public transport.

Interesting to see people blame the passengers for MAN being worse for processing than other airports, almost as if they're accusing the good people of Manchester of being significantly thicker and more knobheaded than the average holiday maker. I couldn't possibly comment wink
ski holidays
I dont use airports at all just walk or use a pedalo
snow report
Aye Manchester airport sucks in some ways, last sept we flew to Mexico and outbound was fine but coming back, got of plane as you do and walked from the plane to passport control and walked and walked and walked..... kinnel it was like an endless maze, i thought at one point the peeps at the front we were all following must have taken us into the staff only area. But no, we did eventually arrive at passport control to join the real que.

I much prefer Birmingham airport, park in the multistory, cross the road, straight in the door with the checkins right infront, jobs a good 'un.
ski holidays
@Riccardo, yeah, Brum rocks, as long as you don’t mind camping for a couple of nights next to return baggage conveyor wink
snow conditions
Manchester Airport foggy today. My plane from Venice circled on holding pattern for best part of an hour.
On the plus side, it was sunny over the northern Peak District and the aerial views were stunning.
snowHead
ski holidays
PeakyB wrote:
Manchester Airport foggy today. My plane from Venice circled on holding pattern for best part of an hour.
On the plus side, it was sunny over the northern Peak District and the aerial views were stunning.
snowHead

Yep, same experience for us from Turin. Lovely views of Edale etc.. But it's been foggy at home all day! Very quick getting back out, flight landed around 12.30 and I was in my house by 13.20, which must be not far off my record with checked bags.

I live a 15 min taxi from the airport and fly about twice a month so I have to spend quite a lot of time there - it doesn't make sense to go anywhere else. Usually for work I have the benefit of fast track and lounge access so it's not too bad, for personal trips I usually just stump up for fast track and priority bag drop etc., it's not worth the faff. I find the security queues usually move steadily so long as your bag doesn't get pulled, but I got a new bag for my birthday and unfortunately found that the closure mechanism on it has about a 50% chance of being flagged by the scanner as an unknown object...

The problem is it's the second busiest airport in the UK and it wasn't built for the number of passengers going through it, compounded by the fact they don't open enough scanners. When T2 is fully open again that may alleviate some of the pressure on T1/T3. T1 is always the big holiday flights (long haul big planes) so you get big slugs of people going through.

Someone said above about the improved meet and greet, yes it is better but they have moved the taxi pickup point for T3 about five times, even from one week to the next - it is very annoying. Seems to have settled down now but I'm sure they will find a new way to irritate me by next week.
ski holidays
We’re flying from T1 next Sunday and hoping Security will be better than it was in September; it was so busy, that once the automated gates through which you access Security opened, after scanning boarding passes, there was nowhere to go. The gate opened but people already in the queue (which was right up to the gates) didn’t want to let anyone in, and the end of the line wasn’t clear. Cue frustration and short tempers.
snow report
Just been in and out of MAN on BA last week, 2 minutes to get through security after zero queue to check in bag. On return, I walked from plane to baggage hall to see my bag on the carousel, I missed my connection at LHR due to late arrival, so was not really expecting to see the bag, but the machines did their stuff and got it on the next flight 45 minutes later. Couldn't find any fault with MAN on this trip.

Out of T1 on Friday to Dubai, where I might even get some skiing in while waiting for the plane back
snow report
Flew back into T1 yesterday, landed at 13.30, about an hour late after technical delay with the plane, huuuge que for passport control, as we got the the entrance for the zig zag area, we were diverted left and nearly walked back to Milan! It took 45mins to get the the control desk, Immigration guy was very pleasant I must point out ( they must have been having a poo poo day ), into baggage reclaim and our bags where happily riding round, so it ended up as 60 mins from getting off the plane to being in our car. Most frustrating bit was seeing all of Boris’s Britain is great posters in the terminal and then to be met with huge que.
latest report
A good friend of mine had his car taken for a spin by the Meet and Greet Team at Manchester. Car written off and the car park refused responsibility even though it was taken by a member of staff at work.

The whole place is a dump, you will need a good supply of pound coins soon just to breath in the air. It's got to be the worse airport in the UK.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy