Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Telluride plus maybe one other

Poster: A snowHead
Chamboy wrote:
Thanks abc. Thanks for the feedback - will take a look at Big Sky, bu I think I will just make a call between telluride and Jackson hole and may come down to flights and overall costs. We’ll have a great time wherever we go. Really happy to visit somewhere new, make the most of whatever skiing we can do and enjoy the mountains. Have learned over the years that you can get good conditions and bad conditions anywhere - but over 2 weeks if you go to a big resort you will get some very good days. It important to be in a town you like as well. So will do a bit more research on telluride and JH - but take into account there is a reasonable chance the snow will be a bit better in JH and possible a bit easier to acclimatise (not quite as cold or as high). Maybe we will even go back to the first response and do a week in each though may be a challenge logistically!

Jackson doesn’t have the same altitude issues that you may encounter at Telluride but it get’s colder at Christmas generally.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Duplicated.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 8-01-20 17:57; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just to re-emphasise ABC's point the Ikon pass had changed Rockie's skiing drastically in the last 3 years. A large number of people are chasing the storms and that has meant that the likes of Jackson Holes, Snowbird etc. are ridiculously crowded when the snow comes in. I could not believe the change in just 2 years,.

Jackson Hole is otherwise wonderful. Make sure you allow time to get into Yellowstone and the Tetons on a skidoo. Re Colorado, our personal favourite place to stay is Crested Butte. Unspoilt, very pretty, unpretentious and good places to eat. The ski area is a bit rocky, but no more than the Grand Montet early season. Telluride has cachee but is not the quaint mining town of its marketing literature. It is an expensive international town of art galleries and designer boutiques - think Park City but with better skiing. I still like it though. There is good backcountry up the canyon. Fortunately, there is Silverton nearby which has both the lift and the cat-skiing operation. I would I recommend a round trip from Denver taking in Monarch (deserted), Crested Butte, Telluride/Silverton and Wolf Creek (deserted and great snow record). You get a bit of everything without having to re-mortgage your house and the southern Coloradans are generally friendlier. I would do Wyoming in a separate trip and include Grand Targhee, Yellowstone (as mentioned above) and Big Sky.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks 22 dropout. Silverton sounds cool. Is it really only 2hrs from Telluride as per google maps?

My next thing to think about will be ski passes. I think telluride is on the Epic Pass but only 7 days. How does it work out if you stay there longer? Is there a local pass that works well as opposed just to paying on the day at the office. And what about Silverton though I guess if catskiing you don’t need one! But if we just use the lift?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I am actually favouring Telluride still. Comparison to Grand Montets does not put me off!!!

We don’t love the cold nor hotel transfers to the slopes if we stay in the town in Jackson Hole. I think we prefer it to be a bit quieter.

We are used to taking a chance with the snow.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Chamboy, You will need a car to get to Silverton from Telluride. You are in a very remote area there. Unless the weather is bad, 2 hours is about right. Very exposed scary drive from Ouray up to Silverton though.

Silverton is guided skiing only for one price. You are at approximately 13,500 feet above sea level at the top of the lift and most runs involve some bootpacking, so I would go week 2 after you have acclimated if you go at all.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chamboy, Silverton should be a bit like La Grave Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It sounds super cool. Might leave the kids with the grandma for a day!!! Agreed on week 2.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chamboy wrote:
Thanks 22 dropout. Silverton sounds cool. Is it really only 2hrs from Telluride as per google maps?

Yes it is, and a stunning drive at that. Re lift tickets Silverton you do it on the day. For NA resorts I tend to buy in October on early bird offers if I know I am going to use them, but I prefer to go where the best conditions are nearer the time rather than feeling tied by a discount. Horses for courses, but you might find that the Teton Gravity forum is a better place for lift pass info in North America for obvious reasons.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You can ty checking liftopia for tickets but buy early if you know your dates, places.
If you do check out TGR be aware, its a diffrerent breed of forum to here Toofy Grin but mostly an ok bunch of folks Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chamboy - Keep in mind you need to buy the Epic Pass, not the Epic Local Pass for the 7 days at T-ride. After 7 days, you get 50% off tickets.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Toadman, thanks. So how much is the Epic pass. Even if bought early enough I guess it’s worth it for 7 days plus 50% off the next 7?

May have to come back and try a few resorts later in the season to get money’s worth!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chamboy wrote:
@Toadman, thanks. So how much is the Epic pass. Even if bought early enough I guess it’s worth it for 7 days plus 50% off the next 7?

May have to come back and try a few resorts later in the season to get money’s worth!!

Here's a link to what pass prices were for this season. Best to buy early for best pricing. This season prices went up after Sept. 2. I don't believe you can buy them anymore for this season. There are buddy passes and other discounts with the passes. Lots of options if you want to check out other ski resorts.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/epic-ski-pass-prices-increase-next-week/

You also have access to Euro ski resorts with the Epic Pass too.

https://www.epicpass.com/info/europe-is-epic.aspx
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So as we got into looking at flights and passes for telluride we’ve started to consider other resorts closer to Denver (Cost and time of the extra flights plus also not being on Epic or Ikon for 2 weeks).

As we like there to be a bit of a town (not just be about the skiing) - we have been considering Breckinridge.

We have also had another look at dates and I know Telluride finishes a little earlier but it looks like Easter school hols are the first two weeks of April. How is Breckinridge in early April. Is everything open in Breckenridge then. I am hoping April will be more snow sure and a bit warmer. May also bring Telluride back into play

Is there good condo style accommodation (nice to have apartment style hotel with maybe a pool in the complex). I did get quite along way looking at apartments in Telluride. How do people find the relative costs all round for Breckenridge versus Telluride.

Thanks.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So as we got into looking at flights and passes for telluride we’ve started to consider other resorts closer to Denver (Cost and time of the extra flights plus also not being on Epic or Ikon for 2 weeks).

As we like there to be a bit of a town (not just be about the skiing) - we have been considering Breckinridge.

We have also had another look at dates and I know Telluride finishes a little earlier but it looks like Easter school hols are the first two weeks of April. How is Breckinridge in early April. Is everything open in Breckenridge then. I am hoping April will be more snow sure and a bit warmer. May also bring Telluride back into play

Is there good condo style accommodation (nice to have apartment style hotel with maybe a pool in the complex). I did get quite along way looking at apartments in Telluride. How do people find the relative costs all round for Breckenridge versus Telluride.

Thanks.
ski holidays
Chamboy, Haven't been to Breck, for 20 years or so - but there were condo blocks then with hot tubs etc. so no doubt there still is.
Bit of a western feel Main St. Dumb and Dumber was partly filmed there for that reason, rather than Aspen Smile

But the skiing felt tame then to us, and certainly wouldn't be rushing back there now, might be enough for you if you combined it with Telluride. Cost wise I would think it would be cheaper, or hope so at least. It is a nice base though if you are going to ski other areas on the Epic pass close by, Rather than Frisco.
latest report
Ah yes - maybe we can do Breckenridge for a week and telluride for a week. I think that probably works on the Epic Pass. Would need to think a little bit about transfer (from Breckenridge to Telluride) and may miss a days skiing with a Saturday evening flight out of Denver if we did Telluride second. May look at something closer to Breckenridge if we decide we want to split the two weeks.

That said I don’t think we’ll get bored of a big resort for two weeks - as we’ll just get to know it better and be able to chill out a bit as well.
ski holidays
April is prime time for Breck, A Basin and Copper. Good north facing high terrain.
snow report
First. How would Chamboy and family get to Telluride, assuming they fly into Denver from GB? Drive? Fly? The drive is a major, major groaner.........., a bare bones minimum nine to ten plus hour one way labour weather permitting that even Hercules himself avoids whenever possible. I'm sure someone(s) will now claim how they made it from "the gate" in just over five hours through a raging snowstorm and took a one hour break at that........

So, that leaves the two inbound flights from Denver (DIA) per day. And, how does that stack up as per LHR - DIA arrival, assuming the flight lands on time? Just askin'

One poster remarked about the EPIC PASS. Smart notion, that. Investigate same!

Staying in town does put one at the base of the mountain with three lifts, so they would not necessarily need a vehicle were they to fly.

Would they get bored after about one week and want to go somewhere additionally? Telluride is way out there and in its own cul-de-sac as it were. Chamboy might want to study Telluride's location and maximizing his and the family's time.

Car rental (hire) is available ex Telluride and that might be an "exit" idea. Fly in, drive out. Drive to one of several Vail Resorts operations within the state. If so, a late A.M. departure could in sunny weather witness them in Crested Butte in three - four hours which is part of the Epic Pass system. Crested Butte is a lovely mountain and being off the main line (I-70) not as busy. Or, were they to skip Crested Butte and take an earlier departure they could reach the greater B'ridge, Dillon, Frisco, Keystone region by early P.M. with a refreshing en route hot springs break at Princeton Hot Springs south of Buena Vista, a stopover in Leadville for coffee and a walk-around. There is obviously Vail, Beaver Creek in the mix, too. But both are over the top for kids. Seriously. Last day...........,just walk around, take in some last moments and safely, ahead of time drive to DIA. No denial when it comes to resorts, the I-70 corridor is v. busy..... And Denver traffic can be............, Denver traffic.

Nothing wrong with Jackson Hole. But, it's just Jackson (Hole). Yes, Grand Targhee is a fat hour away and a pretty drive. Would flying into Salt Lake make more sense, what with all them thar ski resorts no more than a hour's drive from the aeropuerto that has connection from and to DIA.........? That's pretty easy. Utah, when last seen does know its way around skiing, too. The whole Park City (Epic Pass) region is preferable for the kids. Great for mom and dad... Would it be too busy a place to visit?

One last note............ I could suggest Snowmass (where our family have been since 1977). It's v. much Ski-in/Ski-out as that was and remains its hallmark, not to mention exceptional skiing. And just up the street you have Buttermilk and Ajax (Aspen). Can't stand Highlands, the whole mountain is at a slant, so I "don't mention it". Flying in from DIA to Aspen - Snowmass is a breeze, or drive - five realistic hours one way. Thirty minutes north by car from the area (Snowmass/Aspen) is Glenwood Hot Springs which the entire family would swoon over in the P.M. Check that out Chamboy...! Yes, come Christmas, Snowmass et al. is a scene (busy).... So is Zermatt, for that matter even Combloux, Leukerbad, etc.........

Mea Culpas as ever for my ignorance.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy