Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Telluride plus maybe one other

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

First (of many hopefully) posts on here so hope I am in the right place.

We are looking to ski in telluride next Christmas/new Year. We are two adults plus three children (9-14). All good skiers - we’ be been doing 30-35 days a year in chamonix since each of the kids were 3 and lots before that for the parents.

We now want to take them to the US. We already did Portillo in August 2018 and want to venture away from Chamonix every couple of years now they can get all round the mountain, so they get some different experiences.

We definitely want to do Telluride - but because of the transfer I think 2 weeks makes sense.

My main questions are.

Mountain Village versus the town. I think a good hotel with hot tub and decent breakfast would be good - 4star if we can get it. Doesn’t need to be on the slopes as we are used to travelling to ski. Any hotel recommendations. Would be nice to have a suite with two bedrooms or alternatively would just be 2 x hotel rooms. Budget is probably $700 per night for all of us. Pool and gym would be a good.

Will there be enough for us in Telluride for 14 days. Or is there another good resort we could transfer to and spend a week in each to get the most out of our trip. We wouldn’t be hiring a car so would have to rely on a mountain transfer.

Subject to the above (if we stay in Telluride, or split between two resorts) what is the best plan for ski passes? What is the likely cost for all 5 of us for 14 days.

Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chamboy, Welcome to snowHead

Not been but considered incorporating it in our trip last season, decided it wasn't worth it Smile - I'd stay in town which is what we planned, there's free gondola to take you up to the ski area base, and shuttle buses around town, which isn't too large really. More historic and having all amenities Smile Its not a cheap place to visit though.

For that length of trip, worth checking the epic pass prices and buy as soon as they are released. You could then potentially ski another epic ski area Smile Transfer wise no doubt some company will do one, try CME Confused

Its a bit out on a limb, Crested Butte isn't too far, but another pain to get to.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome.

Stay in Town (more atmosphere).

Just about enough skiing for 2 weeks for average skiers.

Experts will ski it out in a week.

Go heliskiing, to shake it up.

Drive or fly to Jackson Hole for one week, for a good 2-stopper.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We went a couples of years ago, stayed 5 days in Aspen, then drove to Telluride for 5 days, we stayed in the mountain resort, which was ok, but for a proper experiance I would stay in the town.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Telluride and Colorado generally have a snowpack that slowly builds as the year progresses. It’s a big gamble to visit Telluride at Christmas if you’re (obviously) advances skiers chasing advanced terrain - that has cover and is open.
I use this site for guidance where to and when to go.
http://bestsnow.net/fam_ski.htm
Look for the areas that are a 4 or 5 for Christmas. Sure the areas that are 2 and 3 should be reliable for blue groomer skiing but it’s not worth going to another continent for that when Europe provides it in spades.
I would think Jackson Hole and Grand Targhee in Wyoming would be a good combo or Alta/Snowbird/Solitude/Brighton just outside of Salt Lake City Utah.
If looking at Canada Whistler has a great record at Christmas (worst start ever this year) but it gets very crowded in the holiday season.
Also see this page for some tips on when to go to Telluride.
https://bestsnow.net/
Scroll all the way to the bottom for the second table.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks everyone for the super quick responses. I am getting the consistent message we should stay in town. If we go that route perhaps we will just spend the full 2 weeks really getting to know the place.

I just need to look into ski passes for 14 days. I think the epic pass only gives you 7 days so we need the specific one for the resort. Any recommendations on when and where to buy it and what it may end up costing?

Thanks again. Hope the snow gods are being kind to everyone. Weather in chamonix has been great - lovely blue skies, pistes have been great but no fresh snow for a while so will need some soon!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sbooker - thanks for your analysis on the snow. We also have the option of going the first two weeks of April. Is the season usually still in full swing then? I am used to skiing up to the end of April in Chamonix - but I think some resorts finish earlier in North America. It would be nice if the town is still lively with a good ski vibe (I know it’s an all year round town).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jackson Hole is the best ski area in NA, but T-ride and JH are not close together; there are plenty of fantastic options much more accessible. Taos & Santa Fe are in easy reach, and unique in vibe. Aspen is close,too. No reason to leave CO unless you want to road trip. T-ride is also very high (+12kasl) so ramp up. Stay in town for sure, it is an above-avg ski town, retains some authenticity. TEX is routinely affected by weather; diverting to Montrose is routine . You’ve made an uncommon choice, and a good one.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Scooter has good advice. I did T-ride a few years ago with a stop in Aspen/Snowmass. You will probably get board with 2 full weeks in Telluride. There's a lot to do in Aspen/Snowmass with different ski areas to check out between Ajax Mtn (Aspen), Aspen Highlands, and Highland's Bowl. Along with Snowmass.

The altitude will affect you at T-ride.

Dinning options:

Check out Allreds

https://www.tellurideskiresort.com/events-activities/dining/allreds-restaurant/

And also a must for lunch if the weather is nice, has a Euro Alps mtn. vibe;

https://www.lamarmotte.com/

If you do decide to hit up a place like Aspen/Snowmass, I would suggest staying in Snowmass. Less expensive than Aspen, with ski in/out options. You won't need a car once there. The bus systems between Aspen/Snowmass/Buttermilk/Highlands is really good.

If you are feeling spunky, you can always do a nice little hike up Highlands Bowl if you do decide to hit up Aspen/Snowmass as part of a CO ski trip!

https://www.aspenchamber.org/blog/how-to-ski-highland-bowl-aspen-local
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Its lost its hippy heart circa 1985

Just another LA NYC Chicago pseudo hip town and full of ozzy slaves
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chamboy wrote:
Sbooker - thanks for your analysis on the snow. We also have the option of going the first two weeks of April. Is the season usually still in full swing then? I am used to skiing up to the end of April in Chamonix - but I think some resorts finish earlier in North America. It would be nice if the town is still lively with a good ski vibe (I know it’s an all year round town).

Now you're on the right track time wise. A perfect time to ski Telluride as the snowpack is usually still in great shape because of it's majority north facing terrain.
It's on Epic so you could combine it with Breckenridge or Crested Butte which are also great in spring. 7 days in Telluride and the balance at Breckenridge and the other Vail resorts which are close to Breck - Vail, Beaver Creek and Keystone.

The Ikon hills in Colorado that are good in spring are the 4 Aspen mountains, Copper and Arapahoe Basin. Taos is further away but also preserves snow well.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Joining the chorus on staying in town. Get a condo. There's a complex near the lift and easy walking into town too. I forgot the name though.

April far better than Christmas. (if you must go Christmas, I'd echo the JH + Targhee combo over T-ride)

If money isn't an issue, Aspen + Telluride would be a fantastic combo.

But if you want to make use of Epic Pass, Crested Butte is reasonably close by. Or you can do Vail/Beaver Creek. Crested Butte is famous for radical terrain (but forget about Christmas, none of those would likely be open), whilst Vail/Beaver Creek are better known for their reliable (and quality) snow. (T-ride a little less reliable than Vail/BC).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Posting to follow thread, will be in t-ride around mid Feb so just stealing info. Sorry nothing useful to add for now.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whitegold wrote:
Welcome.

Stay in Town (more atmosphere).

Just about enough skiing for 2 weeks for average skiers.

Experts will ski it out in a week.

Go heliskiing, to shake it up.

Drive or fly to Jackson Hole for one week, for a good 2-stopper.

Agree with all of the above. Telluride is in a box canyon, one way in and one way out. Being in southern CO, however, it's not really near any other big-name resorts. I'd probably drive to Aspen/Vail etc., should be around 5 hours if the roads are in good shape. I've never skied Crested Butte (4 hours?) but I'd love to some day, so doing that on the way back for a few days would be a nice combo if you're flying into Denver.

The town is great, kind of like a rustic Zermatt, with prices to match.

The skiing is terrific, easy hike to off piste.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks again for the massive response.

A few ideas are becoming clearer but also more options are cropping up.

If possible o would minimise travel having already come from Europe with 3 kids so some attraction in staying one place.

I had always though we would do this at Christmas/NY but April is an option.

I also hadn’t thought about Jackson Hole versus Telluride.

Just to put it in to context though steep gulleys and fresh powder would be fantastic we are not going to be doing loads of back country skiing with the kids given youngest will still be 9. So upmost is the overall experience as a family in a really good (not crazy busy) resort. We don’t ski first lift to last lift and if we have to make do with 75% of skiing on groomers that is fine.

One thing that could be a concern is altitude/temp - though everyone coped in Portillo and that is high.

So leaving a side the splitting of the trip for now - I need to think about JH versus Telluride as the main hub and then Christmas/NY versus April.

Are both resorts really fully open to third week in April (lifts/slopes/bars/restaurants).

I am sure I can find the best lift pass once I settle on the above and also decide if I through in another resort. I like the sound of Created Butte and Snowmass.

So snow very important but not the only consideration given it’s a family trip.

Oh and we will have one non-skier with us!
snow report
Do a roadie to include Monarch and Crested Butte
snow conditions
Telluride doesn’t stay open late. Aspen does though.

(So if you’re staying at Telluride the whole time, your April date may be tricky)
snow report
Quote:
Check out Allreds

This! Best meal I've ever had in USA and a stunning view to go with it.
ski holidays
Jackson Hole - Stay in town and take the bus to the ski area. Not much night life at the resort. Town itself is small and walkable. For non-skiers that depends on what non-ski activities they like. I know in JH they have the elk viewing "sleigh" rides. You can also do guided snow shoe tours. Same for snow mobile tours. Also they do snow mobile tours in Yellowstone National Park.

Not sure about Telluride, never looked into things for non-skiers to do there. But I would recommend taking the gondola from town to the ski village up on the hill for dinner one or two nights. It is kind of cool riding the gondola at night.

As was mentioned, JH doesn't stay open late season. A lot of the mountain is East facing. Snowmass/Aspen is North/NE facing., and way more terrain with the different mountain options.
ski holidays
@Chamboy, The 2019/2020 season kicks off with Donation Day on November 27th, 2019 with Opening Day scheduled for Thursday, November 28, 2019 and Closing Day is set for Sunday, April 5, 2020. https://www.tellurideskiresort.com/press-room/press-releases/winter-season-dates-2019-20/

So, highly unlikely you will be able to do both weeks in April at Telluride. Jackson Hole's closing date is forecast for 4/13 this year, so maybe you could combine the 2. However, Jackson Hole is mainly south facing and, IMO, therefore not a great option for April skiing.

Aspen and Vail are both usually open until mid-April at least, so maybe combo T'ride with one of those. I would lean to Vail just because of the epic pass.
ski holidays
I agree with the sentiments above - Jackson and April is not a good combination just like Telluride and Christmas is not a good combo.
I understand it’s another country but your timeframe (Christmas or April) and wants are also suggesting Whistler.
Because Snowmass has a lot of relatively low angle terrain (even though it is north facing) it does get more sun affected than some of the steeper hills so April probably isn’t ideal. Crested Butte was a good call for that time frame though.
Staying on the hill at Snowbird in Utah would be a great experience for either time frame.
snow report
When it boils down, north American ski resorts aren't big enough for 2 weeks!

A few noted exceptions: Whistler, Banff, Big Sky, Aspen. Maybe Mammoth? I think that's about it! (I may have missed one or two, but I can't think of any at the moment)

One other mountain escaped mentioning: Big Sky. You CAN stay there for 2 weeks and not scratch the surface. It's generally not too crowded. But, it's very corporate and soulless. Sort of like the new Vail.

Telluride for 2 weeks will be stretching it. That said, there're loads of non-skiing things to do in the region! Sightseeing, hot springs, etc. With Crested Butte, Aspen and Vail/Beaver Creek not too far away, a 2-center trip with 1 week at each can be easily doable.

Jackson Hole is a great mountain. But it's been gotten rather uncomfortably crowded since it became part of Ikon pass. Christmas will be really pushing it. That said, its snow record in December is good. And Targhee is an escape from the crowd. Plus, there're tons of non-ski activities in the area with Yellowstone nearby.

The OP has a lot more choices in April than Christmas. (except Jackson, which closes relatively early)

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 6-01-20 22:18; edited 2 times in total
snow report
I think what has put us off whistler is the fact that we have been once before and understand it is very busy at that type of year. It’s also purpose build so perhaps less authentic than Telluride.

It sound alike we will need to stick to Christmas as per our original plan. I think we are now just thinking maybe Jackson Hole based on people querying conditions of Telluride at Christmas. JH also looks a little easier to get to and a bit cheaper all round. I think again we would need to stay in the town and get a transfer to the slopes which is not a problem for us. Looks like some of the hotels do transfers.

Is that the overall consensus to do JH over Telluride at Christmas? And to stay on town in JH?

Thanks again.
snow report
@Chamboy, I just edited my post and mentioned Big Sky. Not sure you may see it or not.

Big Sky is quite big enough for staying put for 2 weeks. But, it's corporate and soulless like Whistler. The saving grace is its much less busy.

Still, if your first preference is T-ride, I suspect you lean more towards Jackson.
snow report
Quote:

north American ski resorts aren't big enough for 2 weeks!

I'm back for my second season in kicking horse now. Would happily go back for a season at red or fernie. Plenty of terrain in those places (and i suspect many others).

Would agree with others the JH is a better Christmas choice (but expect crowds), grand targhee just down the road is one of the most snow sure resorts in n ameica. Big sky is not too far away (by American standards) and also on the same pass. Although be careful with iKON pass as may be some blackout dates over the holidays.
ski holidays
Thanks abc. Thanks for the feedback - will take a look at Big Sky, bu I think I will just make a call between telluride and Jackson hole and may come down to flights and overall costs. We’ll have a great time wherever we go. Really happy to visit somewhere new, make the most of whatever skiing we can do and enjoy the mountains. Have learned over the years that you can get good conditions and bad conditions anywhere - but over 2 weeks if you go to a big resort you will get some very good days. It important to be in a town you like as well. So will do a bit more research on telluride and JH - but take into account there is a reasonable chance the snow will be a bit better in JH and possible a bit easier to acclimatise (not quite as cold or as high). Maybe we will even go back to the first response and do a week in each though may be a challenge logistically!
snow conditions
boarder2020 wrote:
Quote:

north American ski resorts aren't big enough for 2 weeks!

I'm back for my second season in kicking horse now. Would happily go back for a season at red or fernie. Plenty of terrain in those places (and i suspect many others).

A resort good for a season isn't the same as good for a 2-week visit.

When you're there for a season, you can wait out the bad weather, the coral reef snow, and the thaw-freeze cycle. You also don't mind doing only 2 runs in a day by taking an hour long hike. For a family for 2 weeks, that's not the same priority nor the same appetite.

In less than 1-month stay, there's always the probability that part of the terrain are not in enjoyable condition. So one must ask what variety the mountain has that would still provide enjoyment even if the weather shuts out certain terrain. Kicking Horse is a good example of, if the weather is bad, it can be down right limiting.

(As a counter example, Jackson Hole has a lot more variety. And with Targhee within day trip distance, it also has alternatives. That's not to mention the non-skiing activity opportunities)
snow report
@Chamboy, I would consider park city as a 2 week stay. You'll have 2 resorts all nearby plus another 4+ a drive away. The town is great fun but worth staying just outside for ease of buses to the hills. It should be in budget too and lots to do for a non skier. Park city was a real mining town similar to Telluride but might get more for your bucks though looking at prices recently it seems to have shot up a bit so getting in early is vitally important. Also did I mention it has the best snow on earth?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gainz, 'Also did I mention it has the best snow on earth? ' no it doesn't, but the front side does wink

OP doesn't want a car, so PC wouldn't really work - not enough there for 2 weeks for them, and getting to the decent areas without a car is quite challenging, the only way they could experience them would be the interconnect Madeye-Smiley
snow report
@Gainz, Park City is super busy during even regular season. Christmas could be a mad house.

Although some argues since Christmas is blacked out for the Epic Local pass, it's possible the crowds would not be there. But it's not photogenic pretty like Tellride or Jackson Hole. Well, not too many places are. (perhaps Banff)

Also, for a family coming from Cham, Park City might be on the tame side skiing wise. It's not the same class of terrain as Jackson Hole. And some would consider it still a step below Telluride.

@Chamboy, I missed the part you're not hiring a car.

In that case, Jackson Hole will make even more sense. Transfer between Telluride to a second center could be tricky or expensive. Jackson, on the other hand, have daily bus trip to Targhee, even including a discount lift ticket. And it being a year round tourist center even for non-skiers, it has lots of local sightseeing options, for half a day, or for a full day.

Oh before I forgot, there's also Snow King, a local mountain that has quite a reputation of spicy terrain! Come of think of it, you may want to look into staying at Snow King, which has loads of condos. It's a longer walk into town. But I believe the local buses cruise by with decent frequency. (in Jackson Village, I think most lodging are hotel/motel instead of condos)
ski holidays
Your argument was that the resorts are not big enough for a season. Clearly they are. I show people round kicking horse frequently and in one week we don't ski everything. Of course the longer you are there the more likely you are to see the best conditions (and equally worst), but anyone can get lucky/unlucky. Jackson runs all face south east, hardly great variety in that respect. At least with places with north and south facing slopes you hope when one is bad the other is ok.

And I'm not suggesting kicking horse for OP just pointing out your "no resorts are big enough for 2 weeks" is simply not true
snow conditions
whatever you choose do a TR please,
ski holidays
boarder2020 wrote:
Your argument was that the resorts are not big enough for a season.

No, that's not what I said.

I said it's not big enough for 2 weeks, which is not the same as big enough for a season.

And I had laid out my argument, which you may disagree.
snow report
Thanks again. I kind of see the difference between visiting a resort for 2 weeks and a season. Even for a two week trip I would like to think we would approach it a bit like a season in that we would still be selective in how long the days are (though we still tend to get out everyday whatever the weather) and try to explore as much as possible.

I am grateful for all the alternative resorts but I think I will try to narrow it down between JH and Telluride (staying in the town in either case).

From what I have pieced together i think the pros of JH are its a little bit easier to get to, a little more snow sure, probably a bit cheaper - but it may be a bit busier. Is it right that given its aspect it’s a little warmer at Christmas and the altitude is less than Telluride.

For Telluride I think it’s not quite as busy and perhaps the terrain is a bit better. Also perhaps the town a little better for the family?

Thanks.
snow report
Quote:

For Telluride I think it’s not quite as busy and perhaps the terrain is a bit better. Also perhaps the town a little better for the family?

I can vouch for the "not as busy" part.

I can't say the terrain is any "better". JH has a good variety of terrain from intermediate all the way up to true experts.

Don't know what to say about the town. For us Americans, having a town to walk around is itself a luxury. Beggars can't be choosers. Embarassed

Quote:
From what I have pieced together i think the pros of JH are its a little bit easier to get to...

A LOT easier to get to.

Jackson Hole airport is less affected by weather than Telluride.
ski holidays
Thanks abc. To put it the other way. Why would I go to telluride over JH - if coming from Europe at Christmas. Is it really just that it would be a bit quieter and closer to ski in ski out.

I think I also need to work out if the town and the vibe offers us a lot more in Telluride rather than JH.

Otherwise maybe I am changing plan A to JH rather than Telluride though at some point I would like to ski both and some of the other resorts - maybe when we have a bit more time.
ski holidays
@Chamboy, the biggest risk for Telluride in Christmas is the risk of snow. But you may get lucky and got plenty of snow. You would wonder why all the anguish during your planning? Wink

After all, the village is lovely, the slopes are quiet. It's compact so easy to move between village and mountain. It's really a good destination. It's just a bit risky for Christmas skiing-wise. Your chance of seeing it at its full potential will be much better at a later time of the season. Personally, if I were in your position, the reason NOT to go to Telluride is to "save it" for a more suitable date when it's a lot more likely to be fully open.

JH offers just as much skiing. The town is nice in its own way (also lots of other unique things to do if snow isn't as plentiful). And.... it has better CHANCE of getting good snow at Christmas (with Targhee in the mix for additional "snow insurance"). But statistics are just that, chances. In the end, it's down to luck.
snow report
Thanks. I am just going to check out flights and travel times and cost it all up and see what works best and then cross my fingers for good conditions. Then I’ll try to give a report on the trip.

Enjoy this season. Next up for us is a few days in Serre Chevalier where I have never been before but some friends have a place there.
ski holidays
abc wrote:
@Gainz, Park City is super busy during even regular season. Christmas could be a mad house.

Although some argues since Christmas is blacked out for the Epic Local pass, it's possible the crowds would not be there. But it's not photogenic pretty like Tellride or Jackson Hole. Well, not too many places are. (perhaps Banff)

Also, for a family coming from Cham, Park City might be on the tame side skiing wise. It's not the same class of terrain as Jackson Hole. And some would consider it still a step below Telluride.

Fair point but I also forgot that UT has been carved up now so when we were there PC and Canyons were on the same pass as I believe was Alta or Deer Valley (or both). More than enough ski area for 2 weeks.
Main St is lovely and looks quite similar to Telluride so has some aesthetic appeal. Banff doesn't have the same aesthetics imv.
snow report
Thanks. Banff and PC for another day anyway. Too many choices!!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy