Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Drinking and Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Tomorrow is ALLDAY Happy Hour on the hill at Taps Coyote, St Anton Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Worst fall i ever had skiing was when p*ssed. I slipped on ice in the bus queue as we had missed the last lift out of La Ros to get back to Eucherts
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Worst fall i ever had skiing was when p*ssed. I slipped on ice in the bus queue as we had missed the last lift out of La Ros to get back to Eucherts
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well under 50% of adult skiers have soft drinks at lunch as a casual observation. This survey is complete poo-poo!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whatever the inadequacies of Direct Lines reasearch we all know that drinking alcohol and going skiing/boarding isn't a great idea.

Would you drink alcohol and then go:
Go kart racing
Swimming
Paragliding
Downhill MTBing
Surfing
Potholing
etc

I don't know what it is about skiing that makes it the norm to consume alcohol during sporting activity.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
munich_irish wrote:
@stanton, not been in St Anton at chucking out time for the KK / Mooser?

http://youtube.com/v/b8s8VsOvKUk

Is this a VisitIschgl promo? Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@BoardieK, whether or not “drinking alcohol and going skiing/boarding isn't a great idea*” this “research**” goes no way to informing whether or not “ the norm to consume alcohol during sporting activity***” needs to be challenged ****

* - I’m not suggesting it is
** - advertorial? Cerianly not robust reasearch
*** - you hit the actual nail on the head, it is within the norm; skiing is seen as a ”social” sport. Would I drink and play e.g. Tennis? Croquet? Petanque? I absolutely would. (Would I expect to be any good at tennis playing it for an hour or so a day for one week a year? Absolutely not.)
**** - unlike robust research into e.g. drinking and driving, naturally
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Insurance company makes up a fairy tale to indirectly try to reduce payouts.

Does anyone seriously believe these 'findings' are based on 'Claims Data'?

How many claimants admit to drinking alcohol just before sustaining the injury leading to their insurance claim?

Use your common sense and stay safe out there around those mean mountains.

snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If it's one pint, which is about what I do with skiing, then:

Go kart racing -yes, think I may actually have done
Swimming - yes, definitely have done
Paragliding - wouldn't do it sober
Downhill MTBing - riding round a trail centre, yes
Surfing - tried it sober, won't try it again
Potholing - wouldn't do it sober
etc
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
How about rock climbing after a bottle of fizz and a few beers. Embarassed
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@under a new name,
Quote:
@Steilhang, that well known and totally scientific trial? And how can it possibly affect your peripheral vision?
I think this is fairly well documented. Take a look a round the web. My wake up call was in fact a collision with another skier after (light) liquid lunch in St.Anton in exactly such a circumstance. Fairly sure I would not have collided had I been fully sober. Obviously no proof offered.
As far as 'totally scientific' is concerned, obviously not, but interesting none the less.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Steilhang, I don't think it is your peripheral vision as such, I think it the speed at which you realise the danger and the speed with which you react to it.

There are some sports that seem to benefit from 'some' alcohol, darts and snooker for instance. Sports which require focus, hand eye co-ordination and spacial awareness.

Alcohol increases appetite for risk and reduces reaction time; a fatal combination when driving on public roads, less so for pub games.

Obviously there are few sports where being completely shitfaced is of benefit, but on the other hand, the meek didn't inherit the earth, a bunch of pissheads waving battlexaxes did.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Riccardo, An example about the peripheral vision aspect. I have no interest in getting into an argument about it, but do you have any information to back up the statement about darts & snooker.
Anyway, as far as driving is concerned I personally notice a single beer has some effect on my reactions, so I don't do it. Skiing is the same, as I mentioned above. If you want to see an example of just how badly skiing and alc go together then do the valley run in Ischgl around four o'clock, or indeed the last few hundred meters from the Moose down to town in St.Anton at that time!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have shared chalets with people who have different concepts of a winter holiday. Concepts that have been put forward on this forum largely to entice reluctant friends and family to come skiing. To many skiing is not what the holiday is about.

Case 1 a man who's idea of any holiday was to be drunk from the start to the finish. He was. He did come out at least once with beer bottles stuffed in his pockets. Though he did leave the chalet I cannot recall seeing him actually put skis on. He had no intention of skiing just wanted to be in the mountains and drunk

Case 2 the group who's ski holiday consisted of: leave, ski to bar for morning coffee (repeated at least once), ski to restaurant for lengthy lunch, ski to bar for vin chaud/beer (repeated at least once), ski back to chalet. To them skiing was not a sport but a means of transport agin to walking.

Case 3 the group of Australians who came to St Anton one christmas. They started with going out skiing, then participating in more and more apre ski. From half way through the week we would meet them returning from their night out as we left to go skiing in the morning. No doubt they were having a good time. On their terms. The lift queues were horrendous that with at least 90 minutes just to get up the mountain and dangerously packed pistes so I don't really blame them

Over the years (many) my parties have had 8 accidents requiring hospital treetment (less than 1 per 100 skier weeks) on only 1 of these was alcohol consumed prior to the accident. The poor man fell off a chair while dancing on it during the evening. Another slipped on ice while going for bread in the morning (he bought the bread and returned to the chalet before going to the medical centre). Based on my very dodgy survey, consuming bread is responsible for as many accidents as consuming alcohol. My point is: dodgy statistics lead to dodgy conclusions and is why I find this original article so dispicable.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Steilhang wrote:
@Riccardo, An example about the peripheral vision aspect. I have no interest in getting into an argument about it, but do you have any information to back up the statement about darts & snooker.

I have personally spent decades researching the phenomenon, sometimes without the darts and snooker, as a control.

On a more serious note, your article talks about heavy drinking, not a few units.
ski holidays
@Steilhang, Errr, what, an opticians shill page to back up an argument? And as @Riccardo notes, spinning rooms and double vision are not symptomatic of a couple of drinks, well, pints of martinis perhaps.

@johnE, Funny and absolutely right re stats.
ski holidays
One drink at lunchtime is kinda OK, or even two if it's a long, leisurely lunch with friends. Especially on a nice sunny day sat outside, contributes to a pleasant day's skiing.

A few (or more) at stops on the way down, pretty quiet pistes or pretty flat paths, at the end of the day; same. I've got no objection to that and I've got to hold my hand up to occassionally being guilty of that one.

Getting tanked up at lunchtime is a dumb idea and I really don't want you skiing anywhere near me. There's enough people who think they are better than they are, as it is.
snow report
Drunk, stoned, stressed, hung over, sleepless night, showing off, learning to slide.... you should all be banned.
You are a hazard to yourself and others.
What do you think this is?
A holiday?
snow conditions
johnE wrote:
I have shared chalets with people who have different concepts of a winter holiday. Concepts that have been put forward on this forum largely to entice reluctant friends and family to come skiing. To many skiing is not what the holiday is about.

Case 1 a man who's idea of any holiday was to be drunk from the start to the finish. He was. He did come out at least once with beer bottles stuffed in his pockets. Though he did leave the chalet I cannot recall seeing him actually put skis on. He had no intention of skiing just wanted to be in the mountains and drunk

Case 2 the group who's ski holiday consisted of: leave, ski to bar for morning coffee (repeated at least once), ski to restaurant for lengthy lunch, ski to bar for vin chaud/beer (repeated at least once), ski back to chalet. To them skiing was not a sport but a means of transport agin to walking.

Case 3 the group of Australians who came to St Anton one christmas. They started with going out skiing, then participating in more and more apre ski. From half way through the week we would meet them returning from their night out as we left to go skiing in the morning. No doubt they were having a good time. On their terms. The lift queues were horrendous that with at least 90 minutes just to get up the mountain and dangerously packed pistes so I don't really blame them

Over the years (many) my parties have had 8 accidents requiring hospital treetment (less than 1 per 100 skier weeks) on only 1 of these was alcohol consumed prior to the accident. The poor man fell off a chair while dancing on it during the evening. Another slipped on ice while going for bread in the morning (he bought the bread and returned to the chalet before going to the medical centre). Based on my very dodgy survey, consuming bread is responsible for as many accidents as consuming alcohol. My point is: dodgy statistics lead to dodgy conclusions and is why I find this original article so dispicable.

i think the main learning here is a) try and go on holiday with johnE but, b) don't go out for bread Cool
ski holidays
PeakyB wrote:
Does anyone seriously believe these 'findings' are based on 'Claims Data'?

No, they are most definitely not.

I know how this works because I have used a PR company that uses the same tactics. So here goes -

(1) The have a meeting and decide they need something impactful and 'new' to say so that the media pick up on it
(2) They pay a market research company a small sum to do a one question survey to 1000 known skiers who are known responders to surveys (normally incentivised by a "win a xxxxx")
(3) That one question will have been something like "have you ever had a ski accident after having taken some alcohol"
(4) Let's say 100 of the 1000 say "yes" - they may have merely fallen over
(5) They then compare the sample size to the market size (most often cited figure is 1 million skiers) and wrongly conclude that 100,000 skiers have been injured thus.
(6) Number of days in a ski season = 100 so that gives us the 1000 per day figure.

It is totally and utterly false and they will know it. I have sat in such meetings on other subject matters. But its all about dog bites man v man bites dog.

All it does is make people with some common sense think less of the company concerned.
snow report
Jonpim wrote:
Quote: "A third of people said alcohol gave them more confidence on the slopes and made them a better skier."
I well remember when drink-driving legislation was tightened up, many saying similar: that they were better drivers after a drink or two.
So it goes

Well they really shouldn’t be driving around on the ski slopes anyway!
snow conditions
I think it is best to drink on non skiing days or after a hard day out on the slopes. One glass of wine at dinner when you are tired after several hours of practice and lessons is okay
ski holidays
Not smart to drink whilst skiing, you might spill it.
ski holidays
You only have to look at all the dickheads on the Friday afternoon to see what drinking does to their ability.
Not sure why they cant wait until the end of the day.
latest report
In fencing alcohol is a banned substance as small amounts work like beta blockers to dampen down the variations in point control.
snow report
I'm lucky in that I can ski from my local hut through the woods back to my house, although as Kooky can testify, large amounts of alcohol can turn a 10 minute ski into a 2 hour sitting in ditches epic saga.
ski holidays
Quote:

How about rock climbing after a bottle of fizz and a few beers.

Sounds like a good idea - you can combine it with your first (and last) flying lesson. rolling eyes
snow conditions
@Nodeamus, I actually did, after being let down by all my prospective partners I was attempting a 220 foot VS route, Shake on Clogwyn y Wenallt (back rope soloing, went to put a sling round a tree on a ledge 25 foot up and I picked the wrong tree due to seeing double. My helmet took a good gash as I hit the top of an overhang, did a little air time and landed flat on my back on the grass below. Staggered back to the camp site covered in blood and carried on drinking with the gang. Youthful stupidity.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
...Potholing - wouldn't do it sober
It's fairly common to be called out on rescues when somewhat inebriated, because most shouts happen in the small hours.

You'd be better off sober, but caving doesn't actually require the coordination/ timing which pinball or snow sports do.
snow conditions
Scarpa wrote:
I'm lucky in that I can ski from my local hut through the woods back to my house, although as Kooky can testify, large amounts of alcohol can turn a 10 minute ski into a 2 hour sitting in ditches epic saga.

Austria is too damn sociable! This has happened several times....

Once, when the lifts had been shut from lunchtime due to inclement weather, a few of us walked up the summer walking trails to one of our favourite pubs to see if it was open. This was about an hour through the trees. We arrived to find the place busy with skiers who had stayed since lunch, when the lifts had closed. One had a large backpack full of bongos, tambourines, maracas etc and a singsong of epic proportions followed. The walk home took ages and we arrived back covered in mud some hours after dark.
snow report
Riccardo wrote:
Steilhang wrote:

I have personally spent decades researching the phenomenon, sometimes without the darts and snooker, as a control.

On a more serious note, your article talks about heavy drinking, not a few units.

played for years in a pool league.
People became more risky & better at potting balls after a few sherberts. The risk also led to mistakes.
One of my most memorable times was a teammate so drunk he was falling asleep between shots & still managed to win his game Laughing
Also had another member pulled as a referee as he did not know which player was on reds & who was on yellows.
ski holidays
pretty simple for me - I only ever drink after the skiing is done for the day. Just not worth it. I am more concerned about other idiots that have 6 pints somewhere mid-mountain and then ski down...not cool
snow conditions
Did anyone think to factor in if those included in the statistics had been wearing helmets or not? Razz
latest report
munich_irish wrote:
@stanton, not been in St Anton at chucking out time for the KK / Mooser?

http://youtube.com/v/b8s8VsOvKUk

Clearly a VisitIschgl promo Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Scarpa wrote:

I hope she has video evidence of that Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I've definitely skied that black run down from the Mooserwirt before. Well, it somehow turns into one..
ski holidays
Quote:

Did anyone think to factor in if those included in the statistics had been wearing helmets or not? Razz

Or the use of snow tyres
snow conditions
@johnE, If they get big enough tyres which will fit around the people and act as a protective bumper
ski holidays
wills_h wrote:

Perhaps that's the question which people should answer first, in helmet debate threads.

I'm just thinking that it makes no sense to argue for helmets and also for being drunk in charge of skis.
That would be like manufacturing workers wanting to leave the EU. Oh, wait...
latest report
Not another Helmet debate thread Shocked
latest report
If nobody drank at lunchtimes there would soon be no huts. Everything in moderation. A couple of small Gerwurz at lunch in Alta Badia is surely compulsory?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy