Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to buy Vignette..Munich to Kitzbuhel

Poster: A snowHead
We land in Munich around 9 am so hoping to get to Kitzbuhel as quick as possible to get some afternoon skiing in .
Looks like we have to get the Vignette on route as the hire companies don't sell them (Hertz)??
Is there a kiosk/toll booth we can just drive upto to buy one rather than having to pull off the Autobahn to a service/petrol station
thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@wasley, no..you have to go to a ser vucevstation...i go to samerberg services...very quick.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You can also buy a Digital Vignette on-line: Digital Vignette.

P.S. Note that the digital vignette is only valid from 18 days after the purchase (to avoid folk using it for a while and then returning it, as allowed for on-line purchases).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@espri, do you not need a car reg for online booking? The OP won't know the reg till he gets there
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
holidayloverxx wrote:
@wasley, no..you have to go to a ser vucevstation...i go to samerberg services...very quick.

Edit...you will come off before Samerberg. Try a service station before Irshenberg. It's a nightmare to park and tricky getting out
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I did look at the option but your right about the 18 days
http://youtube.com/v/cSX_6IxXJRI

So do you buy the sticker in the petrol station or is there a seperate place in the Service area?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@wasley, if going to Kitz pull off at the service station at the border at Kufstein (Kiefersfelden).
One thing... they are changing the rules about driving the first few Km on th Austrian Autobahn back to what it was a few years ago. So you will be able to go as far as Kufstein Süd without vignette. This rule is coming into force from Dec 15 2019.
https://www.skiwelt.at/de/grenze-bis-autobahnausfahrt-kufstein-sued-wird-mautfrei.html
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kufstein süd is the exit normally used for Kitz. Downside is that absolutely everyone comes off there! I usually drive to Wörgl Ost and go to Kirchberg.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@wasley, the quickest thing to do is stop at the services at the border at Kiefersfelden (assuming you go on the Inntal autobahn) usually easy to park just before the pumps etc. They are sold at the normal counter. Most (all??) of the services along the A8 sell them too. If you arrive on a Saturday do be prepared for a slow journey due to the amount of traffic. You can avoid the wait for the online vignette simply by saying you are a business rather than a private person (no check) but given you will not know the car registration and how easy they are to buy from a service station it is hardly worth the faff.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Steilhang, that's good news. It was always a nonsense changing the old regime of "Mautfrei" to Kufstein Süd, all it did was inconvenience locals with big traffic jams. There has been some talk of putting restrictions on the road along the Inntal from Kufstein to Wörgl to try to restrict folk avoiding the vignette not sure if that is happening? Too much local politics in all this.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tend to get mine at Holzkirchen services on A8, or if going via Kufstein, sometimes from Kiefersfelden services. Takes 2 minutes, and you can get it from either the till where you pay for fuel or the till in the cafeteria.

I'd also suggest avoiding Irschenberg services, unless you want to rejoin the autobahn on the world's shortest slip road right at the top of a hill with trucks tailgating each other about 3ft apart. Have even seen broken down vans on that slip road more than once, thereby making it a t-junction.

Useful to know about the change of the rules (again).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@wasley, If you want to avoid buying a vignette at a service station you can buy a vignette in advance and get the sticker posted to you in the UK for a couple of Euros extra: https://www.tolltickets.com/en/country/oesterreich/
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
munich_irish wrote:
@Steilhang, that's good news. It was always a nonsense changing the old regime of "Mautfrei" to Kufstein Süd, all it did was inconvenience locals with big traffic jams. There has been some talk of putting restrictions on the road along the Inntal from Kufstein to Wörgl to try to restrict folk avoiding the vignette not sure if that is happening? Too much local politics in all this.
The traffic chaos on the back roads is the main reason they are changing it back. On both sides of the border the locals were completely fed up with it. I will still be buying vignettes though to avoid the jams at Kufstein Süd.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alastair Pink wrote:
@wasley, If you want to avoid buying a vignette at a service station you can buy a vignette in advance and get the sticker posted to you in the UK for a couple of Euros extra: https://www.tolltickets.com/en/country/oesterreich/

Is the correct answer. I forgot about that
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
From December 15th you wont need Vingette for that Section of Motorway if exiting at Kufstein.

New law passed in recent budget in Austria to encourage people to use Motorway.
snow report
It's worth checking this link - hire cars may have a digital vignette already. Ange

https://evidenz.asfinag.at/?fbclid=IwAR1EWegATZPJfR-wgdRorEsW5KjfWYha_m_KPcohc1g_w79MeaqR_U1J4uU
ski holidays
@flangesax, never had a vignette included from munich but it may be a car usually used in Austria
snow report
@holidayloverxx, how do you know - did the hire person tell you or did you check? There is no sticker for digital ones. I hired a car from Salzburg, it was from Slovenia and it had a full vignette. Hire cars end up all over the place. Ange
snow conditions
@flangesax, thats a great link thanks! I am hiring a car from Frankfurt but I guess it's doubtful that it will have a vignette??
ski holidays
flangesax wrote:
@holidayloverxx, how do you know - did the hire person tell you or did you check? There is no sticker for digital ones. I hired a car from Salzburg, it was from Slovenia and it had a full vignette. Hire cars end up all over the place. Ange

I haven't hired in Munich since digital ones came in..great link. All the cars I have hired there have been German wirh no vignette. I have had cars from all over at Salzburg and the rental companies do put vignettes on. I wonder if thats jus Austria though?
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
@espri, do you not need a car reg for online booking? The OP won't know the reg till he gets there

Yes, indeed, hadn't thought of that Embarassed Sorry.

As Steilhang says, the OP won't need a vignette at all if they leave the Autobahn at Kufstein Süd and drives via Scheffau (I hadn't heard of that change).
snow conditions
No vignette needed for Kitz.
ski holidays
andy wrote:
Tend to get mine at Holzkirchen services on A8, or if going via Kufstein, sometimes from Kiefersfelden services. Takes 2 minutes, and you can get it from either the till where you pay for fuel or the till in the cafeteria.

I'd also suggest avoiding Irschenberg services, unless you want to rejoin the autobahn on the world's shortest slip road right at the top of a hill with trucks tailgating each other about 3ft apart. Have even seen broken down vans on that slip road more than once, thereby making it a t-junction.

Useful to know about the change of the rules (again).

+1 for Holzkirchen
ski holidays
Thanks for the help

Ill probably get one posted as it only about £10 delivered and between the 3-4 of us,,it saves all the hassle of stopping for one plus gives us the option of either using the Kufstein or Worgl-ost exits

Speaking of Exits
As we are travelling Saturday morning hopefully leaving the airport 10-10.30 am ,would it be quicker to skip the first exit Kufstein-sud and use the Worgl-ost exit ??? The Kufstein exit is 5-10 minutes quicker on goggle but not sure if this applies on a Saturdays?? I'm aiming for 2 hrs from Munich airport to Kitzbuhel
And leaving Kitzbuhel Wednesday around 5pm for a 9.20pm flight
snow report
@wasley, I would go Wörgl Ost - Kirchberg. Ski a half day from there.
ski holidays
@wasley, depending on what month you are travelling 2 hours is probably optimistic, you have picked exactly the "wrong" time. If January maybe OK but other times it can easily take the best part of 3 hours on a Saturday morning, even taking the Wörgl Ost turn off. If I were planning on going I would make sure I leave well before 7 to get there for around 08:45 - 9:00 and I live next to the motorway on the east side of Munich around 20 to 30 minutes closer than the airport. Make sure you stick to the speed limit in Austria.
ski holidays
Good news about no vignettes needed if leaving at Kufstein Sud. Always bought ours at that services at th stop of the hill near Rosenhiem and never had a problem getting on motorway again. Saying that, I guess it has not been overly busy since we always try to get to Kitzbuhel around 6:30am to avoid as much traffic as possible. May get one anyway, since we occasionally come back via Worgl. Thanks for info everyone.
latest report
munich_irish wrote:
@wasley, depending on what month you are travelling 2 hours is probably optimistic, you have picked exactly the "wrong" time. If January maybe OK but other times it can easily take the best part of 3 hours on a Saturday morning, even taking the Wörgl Ost turn off. If I were planning on going I would make sure I leave well before 7 to get there for around 08:45 - 9:00 and I live next to the motorway on the east side of Munich around 20 to 30 minutes closer than the airport. Make sure you stick to the speed limit in Austria.

Haven't got much choice on that one as the plane lands at 9.10am .....we are go on the 22nd Feb (last day of half term) so was hoping most of the traffic would be going the other way ??
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@wasley, would depend on the weather that day. If it's a bluebird pow day then Munich will hit the Autobahn, though maybe less so on a Saturday. Two hours to Kirchberg is possible with clear roads. I've done it from Gauting in less than 90 minutes, but not completely legal!
snow report
@wasley, the UK half term is largely irrelevant, it's the Austrian, German and Dutch school holidays which affect the tourism traffic. 22nd to 29th Feb is school holidays for Bavaria and central/south Netherlands. The roads will be extremely busy.
snow conditions
wasley wrote:
Thanks for the help

Ill probably get one posted as it only about £10 delivered and between the 3-4 of us,,it saves all the hassle of stopping for one plus gives us the option of either using the Kufstein or Worgl-ost exits

Speaking of Exits
As we are travelling Saturday morning hopefully leaving the airport 10-10.30 am ,would it be quicker to skip the first exit Kufstein-sud and use the Worgl-ost exit ??? The Kufstein exit is 5-10 minutes quicker on goggle but not sure if this applies on a Saturdays?? I'm aiming for 2 hrs from Munich airport to Kitzbuhel
And leaving Kitzbuhel Wednesday around 5pm for a 9.20pm flight

Since the rules were changed we kust come off at Kieferfelden. No need to get a vignette. Then take the road on the west of the Inn river down to Lamgkampfen. Samerberg Sue advocated this route, and she wasn't wrong. It bypasses Kufstein. The time it takes to come off the autobahn to get a vignette is just the same as driving along on this quiet back road.

But with the rules going back to what they were, Ill probably come off at Kufstein south and take the 171 to Worgl and turn left to Westendorf/Kirchberg. I find this less hassle than going via Sheffau/Ellmau, and Reith.

What I would finally though, is that getting from Munich airport to Kirchberg/Kitzbuhel on a Saturday is stop start all the way, and id bargain on nearer 3 hours than 2
latest report
How bad is the traffic back to Munich on a Sunday ? I'm thinking of doing a Thu-Sun trip to Kitzbuhel at the end of Jan. The flight back would depart Munich at 15:45.
snow report
@colmhardiman, welcome to sH.
Sunday is less traffic in the morning, and should be fine. Sunday evening however, can be a totally different story, as that's when half of Bavaria drives home after a weekend skiing.
snow report
queenie pretty please wrote:
22nd to 29th Feb is school holidays for Bavaria and central/south Netherlands.
Are they ?! I've chuffed up my trip home then Laughing Ah well, langlauf week!
snow report
@Tarquin, all of February is a bit mental round our way. The first week is 'Vienna week', probably the busiest of the lot. The second week is half of Germany and a few other chunks of Austria. The third week is the rest of Germany except Bavaria, the rest of Austria, and the northern half of the Netherlands. And the fourth week is Bavaria and the rest of the Netherlands. Add a sprinkling of Scandinavians and Eastern Europeans and it's langlauf time all round.
latest report
Southern Bavaria traffic advice service.....

The Autobahns around Munich and onto Innsbruck and Salzburg are very busy over many weekends corresponding with winter and summer holiday periods. For the winter period that means weekends mid / end of January (from the weekend of the Hahnenkamm race) until mid March. Saturdays mainly southbound but northbound too and Sundays northbound. Places to expect queues on busy days include, jnct. A9 / A99, A99 (lots of road works at the moment), jnct. A99 / A8 (really need to be here by 07:30 otherwise could be big queue), A8 Holzkirchen, A8 Irschenberg, jnct A8 / A93, A8 Prien to Austrian border (old road, many sections with no hard shoulder so any sort of breakdown or accident causes problems), A93 whole length, queuing back from Kufstein Süd and Zillertal turn offs. Added to this is the weather either snow slowing things down or beautiful weather enticing half the population of Munich towards the mountains. In general the traffic is not as bad as summer when 35km tail backs can occur but the roads are slow, dont believe Google if it says 2 hours from Munich Airport to Kitzbühel or where ever, it might be now but not with all the tourist traffic, unless you are very lucky. UK half term has no impact, Brits are a small minority of visitors.

Less of an issue now with the Mautfrei section to Kustein Süd being reinstated but be very cautious about taking side roads to avoid paying the Vignette. Drivers leaving the autobahn to avoid either queues or paying the Vignette have become a big local issue, more in the area around Flachau and the Tauern Autobahn but also in the Inntal. If you do avoid the autobahn make sure you obey all the speed limits and traffic rules (do note any 50km and 30km limits, they are not always explicitly signed). The local police will be on the lookout, especially on busy weekends for non Austrian vehicles, and keen to enforce any rules to discourage folk from straying from the autobahn.
snow report
@andy,
Quote:

@colmhardiman, welcome to sH

Thanks ! I've actually been on sH for years now, can't believe that's my first post Embarassed
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy