Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites 2019/2020

Poster: A snowHead
Casa Alfredino wrote:
PS Venice has suffered very very badly - 2 people dead, boat (as in a vapouretta) washed up on shore, the Basilica has been damaged and San Marcos is underwater.

Sad
Similar flooding in northern England too.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Casa Alfredino wrote:
PS Venice has suffered very very badly - 2 people dead, boat (as in a vapouretta) washed up on shore, the Basilica has been damaged and San Marcos is underwater.
Is Torcello flooded, do you know? I'm worried about the Basilica there too (though of course people are more important than buildings, however beautiful). Torcello - in winter - is one of my favourite places in the world.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The two are linked indirectly by the southerly jet.
Forecast amounts are dropping slightly but so too are the temperatures.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@albob,

They'd have that shaped up in a jiffy if it were in season. wink I've watched the basher from the Kronestube with a pint in hand on many an occasion. It's artistry how they shape that small bowl with such a large machine. Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 14-11-19 20:39; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Mollerski, Ahh The Kronestube -- fine place ! Wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
AL9000 wrote:
They really ought to sort that crossing out with a bridge or something like the Arabba Fly.
Lovely pic though and as @Mollerski said, best start in a decade I'd say.

Yeah, that is one of my few complaints about Selva, but at least they do whatever it takes to keep the chute from Dantercepies to the gates open, even if it's 15 degrees and sunny.

The underground tram from Saslong to Seceda is a real treat...

I'm not counting on anything...could be a big thaw in the next month or so, but I think they'll be able to put down a significant base over 1800 meters.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Anyone know where I might go in the dolomites to get the following, I know catered chalets are more French English thing so might not be possible, we dont particularly want a really busy hotel...

Catered chalet ideally an independent instead of large TO
Plenty of blues
Spa/natural spring wellness type place
Stuff for a 10 yro to get excited about
Ideally no bus to slopes

We will have the mother in law (70+) who doesn't ski so need stuff for her to do, like spa, shops, easy access mountain restaurants
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Little Martin wrote:
Anyone know where I might go in the dolomites to get the following, I know catered chalets are more French English thing so might not be possible, we dont particularly want a really busy hotel...

Plenty of blues
Ideally no bus to slopes

We will have the mother in law (70+) who doesn't ski so need stuff for her to do, like spa, shops, easy access mountain restaurants

Sounds like Corvara to me. I would PM you with our details, but I don't think it's right on the basis that we're self catered, and it's a bus or transfer to the slopes.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Little Martin, I've not been with them, but I've heard very good reports about the independent company Colletts who have a variety of accommodation options, including 2 catered chalets: https://www.colletts.co.uk/winter/skiing-holiday-chalets-apartments-hotels/
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Casa Alfredino, any update on the status of the Sottoguda gorge - is it likely to be closed all this winter season (following the storm damage about a year ago), or have repairs to the footpath and bridges been made?

Edit: I found this recent news report about the gorge but unfortunately my virtually non existent Italian prevents me from getting the gist. However the shots of bulldozers etc suggests that reconstruction is still very much work in progress.... Sad
http://youtube.com/v/khr8X0fvusQ
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alastair Pink wrote:
@Casa Alfredino, any update on the status of the Sottoguda gorge - is it likely to be closed all this winter season (following the storm damage about a year ago), or have repairs to the footpath and bridges been made?

Edit: I found this recent news report about the gorge but unfortunately my virtually non existent Italian prevents me from getting the gist. However the shots of bulldozers etc suggests that reconstruction is still very much work in progress.... Sad
http://youtube.com/v/khr8X0fvusQ

There will be no access this year as the middle section is still relatively destroyed... I have heard some plans but it's still very much in its infancy.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Little Martin wrote:

Plenty of blues
Ideally no bus to slopes

Mountain sun have a chalet near the gondola in San Cassiano: http://mountainsunltd.com/ski-chalets/

You can access mountain restaurants in any of the villages of Corvara, La Villa, San Cassiano and Selva via gondola

No bus to slopes will depend on where the accomodation is in each village.

Shops will be a problem unless your mother likes looking in Sport clothing shops. There are few non clothing shops in all of the mentioned villages. If staying in ALta Badia you would have to get a bus to Brunico for bigger selection of shops. If staying in Val Gardena you could catch a bus to Bolzano for more shops. Not sure if there are many shops in Canazei or Campitello so can't advise on them

For spa/wellness you will easily find somewhere in one of the hotels

For plenty of blue runs, your're looking ideally staying in ALta Badia villages of San Cassiano, La Villa or Corvara

I would advise Cortina as another choice but you will have to catch a bus to some of the easier blue slopes at Socrepes
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
When you say you need to catch a bus to Bolzano for shops, I'm not sure what you mean? Are you talking about supermarkets or something else?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Casa Alfredino wrote:
When you say you need to catch a bus to Bolzano for shops, I'm not sure what you mean? Are you talking about supermarkets or something else?

Reply was to the following: We will have the mother in law (70+) who doesn't ski so need stuff for her to do, like spa, shops, easy access mountain restaurants

My assumption was that mother in law would need a place with lots of shops to wonder around or spend their money in. I was stating that none of the main Dolomite ski villages (except maybe Cortina) would have enough shops (apart from sport shops) to keep someone occupied for more than a couple of hours. If you want a bigger selection of shops, you would need to go to somewhere bigger like Bolzano or Brunico, though obvisouly you wouldn't stay in these larger towns if your skiing, thus you could catch a bus there if you wanted!!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Piste preperation curently in progress across Val Gardena, Seiser Alm and parts of Alta Badia!!
latest report
Ah yes. That's true I suppose, Ortisei being the best in Val Gardena but it's still not exacyl rammed with shops. Bolzano would be by far the best for that and it's a beautiful city to boot.
snow conditions
Casa Alfredino wrote:
Ah yes. That's true I suppose, Ortisei being the best in Val Gardena but it's still not exacyl rammed with shops. Bolzano would be by far the best for that and it's a beautiful city to boot.

Just thought, from Val Gardena you can also catch a bus to Bressanone which also looked nice when we passed through it a few years ago. I'm sure there were lots of shops there as well?
ski holidays
Quote:

Piste preperation curently in progress across Val Gardena, Seiser Alm and parts of Alta Badia!!

Yep. The views on the webcams this morning are stunning with so much snow. The next couple of days are looking good too, although maybe a bit too warm so it it might well be rain down at village levels. What a promising start for the season though.
ski holidays
Yes it will be raining low down - not looking forward to 4 days of freezing rain - could cause very dangerous road conditions. And I would imagine the avalanche conditions will be high after it too.
latest report
olderscot wrote:
Quote:

Yep. The views on the webcams this morning are stunning with so much snow. The next couple of days are looking good too, although maybe a bit too warm so it it might well be rain down at village levels. What a promising start for the season though.

Just looking at the latest GFS run and the 850hpa temperatures on the operational run, to me look low enough for tonight/tomorrow. On SUnday they are a bit higher but still look ok during the heaviest precipitation. The problem is, the operational run has been a bit of a colder outlier compared to the other 20 ensemble runs. Hopefully the other runs will come into line with the operational run. The new few Arpa forecasts will be interesting!!
snow report
albob wrote:
Selva Town Centre this PM - just look at the depth on top of the skiers 'crossing' (just below the P parking sign)

Thanks albob. Is that from a webcam? Could you post the link if so?
latest report
I'm tempted to say no - I took the photo while sat in Saltos bar with a Bombarino

But I didn't.... Wink

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/trentino-alto-adige/bolzano/selva-di-val-gardena-dolomiti.html

Looking at todays image, they have bashed the 'bowl' at the bottom of the run
snow report
looks as though they have already reached the seasonal piste target depth....by the 14th November, though they are still making snow I see.
https://snowreport.skicarosello.it/skicarosello/?lang=en

Potentially another 70cms on the upper slopes over the next 5 days Shocked I see they are rapidly pisting out the runs, perhaps to prevent them from being scoured by tomorrows gale force winds ?

looking good https://valgardena.panomax.com/seceda
ski holidays
Thank you. That’s a nice addition to my set of webcam links, especially as it’s just around the corner from where stay. First visit this season in four weeks time. Fingers crossed that temps stay cold enough that the area gets off to a good start!
latest report
I’m always struck by the efficacy of snow/piste management in the Dolomites area in general. They seem to have the accumulated knowledge, management and resources (water/electricity/skilled labour) to make good decisions AND to implement them effectively. This is a stark contrast to the area of the French alps in which we skied as a family for many years.

The ever-optimistic Wepowder forecasts 155cm on the upper slopes during the next 6 days! https://wepowder.com/en/selva-wolkenstein [not sure if registration required]
snow report
Quote:

tomorrows gale force winds

Shocked
Hope they're not as strong as before!!
snow report
The heavy snow has only just appeared in the Eastern Dolomites (Val gardena, ALta Badia, Arraba etc). Looks like the snow line is in the 1600m to 1700m asl range currently. Looks like rain in Selva village, sleet in Colfosco and sleet/snow in Arraba villages currently. Western Dolomites such as Madonna Campiglio, has been dumping down for several hours now.
snow conditions
Snow lingering for days in Cortina town centre, haven't seen that in November for a long while...

https://www.bergfex.com/cortina-ampezzo/webcams/c2744/
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sounds like the snowline is much lower in the Western Dolomites and elsewhere across Northern Italy. Only in the Eastern Dolomites is it higher between 1600 and 1700m asl. Heavy snow in Arraba village. Looks like its snowing in Corvara and Colfosco villages now. Selva looks like rain. Yet Canazei which is lower, looks like snow!!
ski holidays
Edit: Def snowing in Selva at mo. Corvara, Colfosco Arraba and Canazei all snow. In Madonna its chucking it down. Was tempted to head out next week but reralise they are only opening weekends until end of month Sad
snow report
the temp has fallen a few degrees in Selva. Not that I'm compulsively checking the webcams or anything...
snow conditions
Yikes! The Meteoceil 15 day projection shows unsettled all the way with good agreement on rather mild lower and upper air temperatures .

Once this southerly set up becomes established it’s difficult to shift. It’s a sort of Southerly ‘Stau’. Disruption and some damage looks likely not to mention the possibility of flooding in the Italian plain. Sad

Presumably the high tides in Venice are a consequence of the low pressure in the Med ? Like a North Sea storm surge?
snow report
Peter S wrote:
Yikes! The Meteoceil 15 day projection shows unsettled all the way with good agreement on rather mild lower and upper air temperatures .

Once this southerly set up becomes established it’s difficult to shift. It’s a sort of Southerly ‘Stau’. Disruption and some damage looks likely not to mention the possibility of flooding in the Italian plain. Sad

Presumably the high tides in Venice are a consequence of the low pressure in the Med ? Like a North Sea storm surge?

Re Venice, from what I read, the flooding severity is a combination of a 50-year high tide, sea level rise, high winds and the fact that Venice is sinking by an inch every 4-5 years.

I fully expect that we'll see warmer temperatures in the Dolomites in the next two months but hopefully this storm will let them lay down a good 50-60 cm base...
latest report
It's been raining heavily here most of the day here at 1100, can't see where the snow line is because of the low cloud.
snow conditions
Just the remaining 50cms to fall on the upper slopes then it looks a bit drier after Wednesday Shocked

I wonder how many of the new snowmaking reservoirs that were constructed this summer will now be paid for by the saving on snowmaking this winter? Oh the irony snowHead
snow report
View of Santa Cristina tonight (pity about the crane...)

snow report
Looks like a decent dump going on this morning Smile
snow conditions
red 27 wrote:
Looks like a decent dump going on this morning Smile

Plan De Gralba (outside Selva) this AM

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 17-11-19 13:54; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Looked like a wide variation in the snowline overnight and this morning across the region. Currently looks like a temperature inversion with low temperatures at valley level and warmer up high. Certainly didn't expect to see snow laden trees in the valley towns of Selva and Corvara this morning. Even lower villages such as Fie and Siusi have snow on the ground this morning.
ski holidays
Last year the heaviest snow arrived after the lifts closed in April. This year its all arrived before they open in December. This is the better way round! It must be good knowing that they only need the sun to shine now and do not need to make snow or rely on the natural stuff falling again.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy