Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites 2019/2020

Poster: A snowHead
Now, on another thought - is there any "resort to resort" route through the dolomites? It seems there's so many areas, all so beautiful, that it would make a great kind of piste ski tour, to go from resort to resort with a bag and a change of clothes for the evenings, staying in different accommodation.

Is this a "thing" I wonder? Might try and work my way through them over a period of time
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Planned to do SR green (anti cw) with a stop to ski some previously unexplored pistes around Selva but we were a bit late setting off (left Corvara ca 11) and was windy so decided to carry on and instead do diversion around some pistes in Arabba so we didn’t get stuck in Canazei area.

Pistes in good condition except for the leg from Arabba to Corvara which we hit after lunch so was busy, polished and bumpy with piles of man made snow at the bottom of each steep section to catch the unwary. No big queues, mainly a minute or two so think we got lucky.

@smudger, I’m sure pistes will hold up and you’ll have a great time. Think wind is more of a problem than a few warmer days as it whips the snow off the piste.

Last day today driving to Venice tomorrow for our late pm flight home.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Something like this ?

https://www.colletts.co.uk/winter/ski-safari/

https://www.dolomitemountains.com/en/browse-experiences/on-piste-skiing-safari/dolomites-ski-safari-getaway

And a trip report (different company)

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2494350&highlight=
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
albob wrote:

That is EXACTLY what I was thinking, thanks for going to the effort of digging it out. I was wondering would you just do it on your own and find accommodation online or in town as you arrived, but 590 euro for a week half board and a guide is insanely cheap, wouldn't be worth the hassle of DIY at that money

I'm just minded, and reading this thread reminded, that there are a lot of hidden gem corners of the dolomites
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
albob wrote:
@Pasigal, how did you find Seiser Alm ?? -- I've only skied it once, and just remember it being 'flat'....

We have stayed in Kastelruth - v near Seiseralm- for the last eight years. I love Seiseralm. The runs are varied - the blacks after the chondola lift to Pufltatsch (and which other resort in Italy has a chondola!!) are proper blacks, albeit at the easier end. But there are plenty of decent reds too in the area.
The mountain huts are some of the best in the Dolomites- great value and good food. The slopes are often relatively empty.
The whole of Seiseralm is predominantly German speaking which makes it culturally interesting and the bar at the bottom of the Seis gondola plays good German europop!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Half term week looks good. More dry, sunny cool and calm weather.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The views, from Seiseralm, of the Dolomites in one direction and the Alps in the other, are truly breathtaking.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
https://www.bergfex.com/kronplatz/webcams/c15328/

Half term looks dry, bright and popular Cool
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We left Luton airport at 11am and arrived in Selva at around 3:30pm local time today. The town feels slightly warm and very busy... I’ll post tomorrow on ski conditions once we’ve had a look. Provisional plan is for a clockwise SR to see just how busy busy is...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Peter S wrote:
https://www.bergfex.com/kronplatz/webcams/c15328/

Half term looks dry, bright and popular Cool

I'm heading out on Tuesday with family, I'm hoping for a little more than the dusting forecast. Don't want much just a few inches, fingers crossed the forecast is wrong.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pjd wrote:
albob wrote:
@Pasigal, how did you find Seiser Alm ?? -- I've only skied it once, and just remember it being 'flat'....

We have stayed in Kastelruth - v near Seiseralm- for the last eight years. I love Seiseralm. The runs are varied - the blacks after the chondola lift to Pufltatsch (and which other resort in Italy has a chondola!!) are proper blacks, albeit at the easier end. But there are plenty of decent reds too in the area.
The mountain huts are some of the best in the Dolomites- great value and good food. The slopes are often relatively empty.
The whole of Seiseralm is predominantly German speaking which makes it culturally interesting and the bar at the bottom of the Seis gondola plays good German europop!

Staying in Kastelruth in 2 weeks time. Quick question pjd, where did you hire your skis from in the village? Or do you take your own? Thanks!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Predictably busy on the SR (orange) today, but no major bottlenecks other than the oh-so-slow Rodella. Snow was ok, if a little tired and floury in places. Didn’t really see any rocks/ice/bare patches, but a refresh will be welcome. The best skiing was probably in the Marmolada and Belvedere areas where the pistes are wider. The little chute down from the Piz Seteur restaurant was a narrow/bumpy/busy tester for the nervous - I had to ski around a lady who had decided to walk back up, she can only have been 50m from the bottom! A few clouds have materialised late this afternoon, but weather basically fine. Some implausibly brass-necked behaviour in lift queues; if you want it that way it’s fine with me...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
8611 wrote:
albob wrote:

That is EXACTLY what I was thinking, thanks for going to the effort of digging it out. I was wondering would you just do it on your own and find accommodation online or in town as you arrived, but 590 euro for a week half board and a guide is insanely cheap, wouldn't be worth the hassle of DIY at that money

I'm just minded, and reading this thread reminded, that there are a lot of hidden gem corners of the dolomites

...and another one https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3212235&highlight=#3212235 which was Colletts (I was on that trip and doing another one with them in a couple of weeks)

You could definitely do it yourself significantly cheaper but you would lose out on the guide/instructor, almost certainly lose your way occasionally, probably lose skiing time when moving from sector to sector, miss some hidden gems, and risk no comeback if you failed to make the next night's stop because of weather or route finding disaster (though it does look horribly warm next week if you had to sleep rough haha). But it would probably feel a bit more adventurous and the money you saved could bail you out of any trouble by using taxis/bribes! snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We are thinking of skiing the Hidden Valley tomorrow, but I have a vague recollection of reading about a road closed due to a landslide..? Does anyone remember this, or have recent experience of the HV? I haven’t been there for years.

I know the queuing will be hideous, but I expect it’ll be the same wherever we try to go.

Anyway, any info relevant to skiing the Hidden Valley from Selva would be extremely welcome.

Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
richb67 skied it on Friday - no mention of landslides etc -- have a look at his posts a page back
latest report
Quote:

Anyway, any info relevant to skiing the Hidden Valley from Selva would be extremely welcome.

Did it a couple of years ago from Selva, only advice is to get is to get to Dantercepies for 8:30 and get on the first bubble up! i.e. get to Armentarola for the bus up to Lagazuoi as early as humanly possible. When we did it, our kids were in ski school and we didn't leave Hotel in Selva until c.9:15 so realistically it was 9:30-9:45 before we were on the bubble and prob past 11 when we got to the bus stop. We then had a 30+min queue for the bus, then a 45min queue for the cable car and it was, frankly, a bit of a waste of time.

Kids not in ski school anymore and managed to get c.40km out of them today by getting then down to Ciampinoi for 8:45! Did SR green with a few diversions in Belvedere and Arabba and a fantastic lunch at Pic Pre Hütte just above San Cassiano
latest report
@jimmybog, enjoy Kastelruth. Some of us had our own skis but the ones that didn’t hired them from Fils sports shop in the town. V good. They also have a place at Compatsch, at the top of the Seiseralmbahn and will carry them up there for you on the first day.
snow report
Ps Fils give guests of some hotels/ apartments discounts. They also give all guests a free ski locker at the top of the Seiseralmbahn. A mixed blessing as some in our group left stuff there overnight which meant we had to return there the next day rather than cab it to eg. Dantercepies!
ski holidays
pjd wrote:
Ps Fils give guests of some hotels/ apartments discounts. They also give all guests a free ski locker at the top of the Seiseralmbahn. A mixed blessing as some in our group left stuff there overnight which meant we had to return there the next day rather than cab it to eg. Dantercepies!

Thanks pjd. Our hotel has discount with Fils but I dont know how much it is. I can get 20% online with them or with Alpinsports. Both will provide a locker at their mountain station shops. Just looking at the example models on offer, it seems as if ALpinsports do provide this years models whereas Fills look like last seasons.
ski holidays
albob wrote:
richb67 skied it on Friday - no mention of landslides etc -- have a look at his posts a page back

No landslides or long queues when we did it on Thursday, think the landslide was on the road from La Villa earlier in the year.
snow report
Any recommendations for touring ski hire in Cortina? Looking for pin bindings particularly. Thx
latest report
Hidden Valley was great today. A tester of a queue for the Lagazuoi cable car, replete with people vying aggressively to improve their positions. But the highlight was a child asking questions in a loud, piping voice; “Daddy - how much can you take out on your special credit card? And how much can ordinary people take out?”. Daddy looked ready to bury himself - or the offending child. You reap what you sow...

Quite warm again today, 9c at the bottom of the Boe. Snow was pretty good everywhere, although the higher-up runs under the lift ladder back up the Gardena pass had cut up into slightly spiteful bumps late in the afternoon. The runs were busy and not easy for inexperienced skiers, so a degree of carnage ensued. Two sets of medics operating as we passed through. The other side down to Selva was lovely in the late sun. A good day!
ski holidays
I sometimes wonder if getting to Armentarolla around midday might be better than 9 - 11am? Seems like everyone thinks "hmm better get there early so there arent any queues", only to find 200 people who thought the same thing!
snow conditions
shiva_71 wrote:
I sometimes wonder if getting to Armentarolla around midday might be better than 9 - 11am? Seems like everyone thinks "hmm better get there early so there arent any queues", only to find 200 people who thought the same thing!

You might have a point there. Also Scotonis has become a victim of its own success imo. Next year, if we go back to Alta Badia I'll definitely do the Cinque Torri area first and have lunch there before going up the cable car.
ski holidays
agw wrote:
shiva_71 wrote:

You might have a point there. Also Scotonis has become a victim of its own success imo. Next year, if we go back to Alta Badia I'll definitely do the Cinque Torri area first and have lunch there before going up the cable car.

you might find you're lapping quite a bit if you get there early and then want to ski to lunch - there's not the most amount of skiing in that sector. The restuarant up the hill from CInqui Torre, near a peak called Nuvolao has an amazing view from the terrace - really special but get there early if you want a spot in the sun. The food is pretty good too...
ski holidays
bertie bassett wrote:
agw wrote:
shiva_71 wrote:

you might find you're lapping quite a bit if you get there early and then want to ski to lunch - there's not the most amount of skiing in that sector. The restuarant up the hill from CInqui Torre, near a peak called Nuvolao has an amazing view from the terrace - really special but get there early if you want a spot in the sun. The food is pretty good too...

Yes, Cinque Torri is nice but quite limited. We took the approach of arriving earlyish evaluating the queue at the cable car and then making a decision on whether to ski Cinque Torri before or after the hidden valley but we were driving so it was easier. I think there is a bit of pot luck with the queue, if you happen to arrive after 2 coaches have offloaded then you are in for a long wait but the twice we have arrived ca 2-3 pm there were no queues so I'd arrive early (before 10) or after lunch.
snow report
Looks busy on the webcams again. All lifts and runs open as usual. Surely this season must be heading towards one of their most commercially successful on record ?
snow conditions
Snowing lightly in Selva at the moment. Be nice if it keeps going for a bit but looks quite bright out to the West...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jma wrote:
Snowing lightly in Selva at the moment. Be nice if it keeps going for a bit but looks quite bright out to the West...

radar shows the main band will clear through quite soon. Shame, could have done with a few hours more of it!!
latest report
Peter S wrote:
Looks busy on the webcams again. All lifts and runs open as usual. Surely this season must be heading towards one of their most commercially successful on record ?

Peter S - are you employed to post positively by Federconsorzi Dolomiti Superski..? Laughing Laughing Laughing

My take (based on a couple of visits so far this season and 3 or 4 every year for many years) is that this is a pretty average season in terms of both busyness and conditions. Whilst a lot of snow fell before the season started, there’s been precious little since: https://www.onthesnow.com/suedtirol/selva/historical-snowfall.html?&y=2019 This means there haven’t been days where everyone living within driving distance has headed for the pistes. It’s been a little warm and wet by local standards too. It doesn’t look like a vintage season to me at this point, although there is still time for this to change.

Here today, conditions underfoot in the Saslong area were challenging this morning with some stretches featuring icy patches thinly disguised by the overnight efforts of the pisteurs. We headed over to Seceda to ski in the sun. It was better there with great skiing on the long wide run under the top chair, and lunch in the Daniel Hutte was as good as ever. The La Longia run down to Ortisei was good in parts, but with some very slushy areas that have clearly suffered in the recent warm temps. The cloud closed in late on, and it started to snow just as we regained the Seceda top station. Skiing down was interesting, with wind and lowish visibility as everyone headed for the valley floor.

Still nowhere else I’d rather be though...!
snow conditions
Hi Ian, no Laughing
I was just thinking that in terms of starting a week early, having everything open almost every day since Christmas and having fabulous weather for skiing so far, their ticket sales must have been good ? Also since the weather and the snow hasn’t been very good in the northern alps I could imagine a lot more German skiers travelling south this year.
snow report
Decent theory. I will ask the owner of our hotel tomorrow. He will know for sure!
snow report
That would be interesting to know.
latest report
IanTr wrote:
Decent theory. I will ask the owner of our hotel tomorrow. He will know for sure!

Would hotel occupancy be that good an indicator though? I thought most of the hotel accomodation in the main Dolomite towns is at full or near full occupancy levels throughout the season regardless (apart from maybe start of the season). I remember struggling to find accomodation in Corvara in Mid March once, which is low season for them. Usually at the end of the season, the SKi Dolomiti company will release some kind of figures of lift pass sales, so either way we should hopefully find out. If I had to take a guess, I suspect sales have increased this year due to the excellent early season conditions. I suspect a lot more locals skied the area in early/mid December than in previous years. Also from various reports it sounded as if mid to late January was busier than usual in places. Though what we dont know is how busy the less popular areas have been this season, like Carezza, San Pellegrino, San Martino, Obereggen etc

On the weather front, possibility of some snow showing up for the 26th onwards. But this is still 6 days away so plenty of time for this to change. But the good news is the temperatures now look like dropping to average/below average from the 26th as well with fairly agreement so far.
snow conditions
jimmybog wrote:
IanTr wrote:

Would hotel occupancy be that good an indicator though?

No, but a hotel owner / businessman / local councillor whose extended family are everywhere in the valley will have the very best sources of information! I will ask him this evening and report back.
snow report
IanTr wrote:
jimmybog wrote:
IanTr wrote:

Would hotel occupancy be that good an indicator though?

No, but a hotel owner / businessman / local councillor whose extended family are everywhere in the valley will have the very best sources of information! I will ask him this evening and report back.

Yep, fair point. Will be interesting to hear back. ARe you staying in Val Gardena currently or elsewhere such as Arraba, Alta badia or Val Di Fassa??
ski holidays
Nice picture of Dolomites some of you will be recognise on bing home page today
ski holidays
@richb67, Lagazuoi provides some magical images

snow conditions
Another 4 sunny and warm days to enjoy then a bit of snow possible. Looks as though this incredible spell of weather since the end of December may finally be coming to an end. March is looking rather more unsettled ?
snow report
He said: In overall terms it is likely to be a good season for the region. The early snowfall encouraged bookings so hotel occupancy levels and rates have been sustained at high levels. However, the lack of a decent proper snowfall since then has meant that “local visits” have not reflected this strength - partly because off-piste opportunities have been so limited. Without another snow event - and because of the timing of Easter and the end of the season - it is possible that a weak finish will undo the strong start. That said, he is sure that there will indeed be at least one more decent dump and that will ensure that 2019/20 will be good overall. In summary a better season for businesses than for skiers at this point, but the season is not done yet.

@jimmybog - I was in Selva, we are lucky to be frequent visitors in winter and summer.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy