Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites 2019/2020

Poster: A snowHead

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PeakyB wrote:

Several excellent black and red runs enjoyed but a choice of terrain to suit most skiers. Vulcano (piste 26) was great and one extremely long black piste (Olympic I think?) was a proper leg burner. What piste number is that anyone?

I love the dolomites but a huge fail is the inconsistent maps / slope numbers / signage etc...

Vulcano has an actual sign (in your photo) saying piste 26 ? Unless that number is counting down as you proceed downhill (i.e. 26 , 25 , 24 as you get closer to bottom?)

On the paper map , the runs do not have numbers or names (only the lifts appear to be numbered).
https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/documents/cartine/2019-2020/5%20Val_di_Fassa_web/5%20Val_di_Fassa_web-1.jpg

The 3D maps (still available on the dolomiti superski website) - says that run is 1b.... ?
https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/Experience/Ski-areas/Val-di-Fassa/Ski-map

And the newly updated phone app - which is really , really crap , has lift and slope names but no numbers.

Compared to a recent visit to Saalbach - where everything is very , very clear and map boards galore at the bottom and top of nearly all lifts .

That long black back to Alba is called Ciampac-Alba. Number 6 according to 3D map (but there is a blue in Pozza di Fassa with number 6 too... and a number 6 in Alta badia ... etc)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We really struggled with the piste numbers/names last week. We are generally (well myself) pretty competent at navigating but we did struggle a few times around the Sella Ronda (well not the loop, that's really easy, but you know what I mean).

The fold-able lift maps were not that useful. Perhaps because there is so much information they try and get on there, it actually takes away some of the detail. Like we were left confused sometime which way a run goes downhill.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fridge03 wrote:

Like we were left confused sometime which way a run goes downhill.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one out there. The 3D map on the website has a little play button that shows you the direction of each run but I always felt it would be a lot easier if they just added a little arrow with the direction on the printed maps.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Strange piste conditions today - warm temps meant skiing was sticky around midday. We are wondering whether the lifts will open tomorrow. Bergfex predicting force 9 winds in Gröden!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
[quote="sheffskibod"]
PeakyB wrote:
That long black back to Alba is called Ciampac-Alba. Number 6 according to 3D map (but there is a blue in Pozza di Fassa with number 6 too... and a number 6 in Alta badia ... etc)

Alba can be really difficult to find from the Sella Ronda. You have to locate the Col dei Rossi gondola which is mostly hidden from view. I think we needed to catch the Pecol-Col de Rossi cable car to get to the Alba gondola entrance. We spent a hour or two trying to find it, and I'd already skied 3 weeks in Arabba!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Good first day in the Dolomites. Sunny morning and a bit of cloud in the afternoon. Everything open and not busy.
Made our annual pilgrimage to Refugio Santa Croche for lunch via the new Gondola.
Pistes are excellent as always. Slightly heavy this afternoon in the warm temperatures. Up to 12.6c at Canazei today but that was counteracted to some degree by the dry air down to 50% humidity. Plenty of snow cover.
The forecast tomorrow is for strong winds which will probably mean we stay around Alta Badia. Hopefully it will remain largely dry and bright with give good visibility again. A noticeable drop in temperatures after lunch will mean faster skiing surfaces tomorrow.
A dusting of snow forecast Wednesday and still very windy.
Great to be back in the Dollies. snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Peter S, doubt if many lifts will be open tomorrow because of the wind - gale force 9 in Val Gardena/ Gröden
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pjd wrote:
Strange piste conditions today - warm temps meant skiing was sticky around midday. We are wondering whether the lifts will open tomorrow.

Ditto in Madonna area, various lifts closed at points during the day and we got caught in Marilleva area, got across to Folgarida and had to bus back which was a scrum to get on, not enough space so some people left behind.
Temp in town at 5pm today was 14 deg C, meant to drop to -3 on Tues pm so one extreme to the other.

Had that awful situation of trying to ski a gentle downhill but combination of head wind and sticky snow meant everyone had to pole or skate...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@sheffskibod, @Fridge03, @maquibr,

I agree with your comments about poor piste maps and inconsistent signage on the mountains.

A couple of weeks ago we were having a good rant about this. When so much has been invested, with great success, in infrastructure, can’t understand why something important and relatively inexpensive is so neglected.

For relative beginners, not so used to navigating around mountains, it must be very frustrating.

Maybe feedback about this to local tourism offices might prompt an improvement?
Puzzled
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@richb67, yes the conditions today were challenging. Higher temperatures, softish chopped up snow, quite busy bottlenecks and crowds in general.

I was told, and it seemed plausible, that all primary schools in the area had 1 day off today. Certainly saw lots of families with younger children.

Nevertheless we made our way clockwise to Selva then up to Secada? and eventually Ortisei. Just above there was an annual tobogganing race, which was interesting.

With late lunch finishing there at 14.00, we had to crack on though heavy snow and crowds to get back to Arabba just in time to squeeze in the Fodom black. Then we were last across on the Arabba Fly.

A memorable day certainly, with a wide variety of lift and piste types experienced.
snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Forecast was for a couple of centimetres today. We've Already had more than that at village level in Selva. Off to Kronplatz for the day. If we make it.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ok, it’s a snow conditions forum so the good news is that it’s currently cold and snowing in Madonna and expected to have low temps for at least the next week. My instructor expects conditions to get better and better as the week goes on and the pisteurs do their magic. The snow seems to be just showers so isn’t sticking in the town. Anyone arriving this weekend will hopefully have good conditions.

That’s especially good because today was very challenging on most slopes. The exceptions being those not that exposed and high enough to have a dusting of snow. After yesterday’s very warm day it was raining at 7:30 this morning before the temperature dropped and it was below freezing with occasional snow showers all day and very windy. So most pistes were patchy at best and some were just packed ice. Lifts for Spinale, half of Pinzolo and the top of Groste were closed all day. When we braved the top lifts there was a steady stream of snow boarders trudging up hill to get the gondolas back down. We were getting a hot chocolate at 4pm when someone official looking went to every table to explain that Pradalago gondola was about to close so they either got that down immediately or had to ski down. It was very quiet on the way down !

Thinking of going to Passo Tonale tomorrow (weds) is anyone there? Some in resort updates would be helpful.

Ps generally pretty quiet but lift closures have meant short waits for key lifts (<5mins)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@richb67, patchy as in bare patches, or patchy as in icy patches?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
denfinella wrote:
@richb67, patchy as in bare patches, or patchy as in icy patches?

Patchy as in icy, no shortage of snow just the cold/warm/cold cycle causing issues. There is still ca a foot of snow on roofs in Madonna despite two warm days.

This morning some places the piste were frozen corduroy that rattled your fillings whilst steeper sections were effectively ice sheets but as mentioned it does look like this will be the worst day.
ski holidays
At the Birthday Bash right now. The strong wind blew all the snow away from the pistes, so today we were all skiing on ice/icy corduroy on all pistes and in all sectors, thus slaughtering our edges. Basically we were skating Cool
ski holidays
A bit firm today and wind polished! A day for sharp edges. We had a dusting of snow this morning but that was getting blown off. Sub zero at Canazei from about 1pm. Visibility was good again in the sun at la Villa and once again we could see the bad weather to our north along the Alpine ridge. Higher lifts such as the Grand Risa were closed today by strong gusts which meant getting the bus back from la villa. Forecast is for another dusting tomorrow and at least as windy so probably confined to Corvara and Colfosco. Thursday through Saturday look much better for weather.
Thanks for the recommendation about the pine ravioli at Refugio Lee snowHead
ski holidays
Peter S wrote:
bus back from la villa

Ive spent quite a bit of time looking for info on skibuses in the area and i cant find a darned thing. Any pointers?
Cheers!
ski holidays
shiva_71 wrote:
Peter S wrote:
bus back from la villa

Ive spent quite a bit of time looking for info on skibuses in the area and i cant find a darned thing. Any pointers?
Cheers!

For which area ?

there are ski busses in the Selva and Val di Fassa areas, but don't think there is one in the alta badia.

Alta Badia has a 'local' bus service -- https://www.altabadia.org/en/info-service/getting-to-alta-badia/by-bus.html
snow report
Alta Badia has ski busses within each of the villages (Corvara/Colfosco/La Villa/San Cassiano) but they only serve the villages themselves. To travel between the villages you catch the local hourly bus.
snow conditions
shiva_71 wrote:
Peter S wrote:
bus back from la villa

Cheers!

Typically Italian - its a nightmare to pin this down...the link provided above to the official Alta Badia site has another link which then sends you to the South Tyrol Mobil website...

After a bit of digging around I ended up here - http://www.sii.bz.it/en/timetable-2020-pdf

There is a map of the WHOLE area - hundreds of lines... the ones between corvara / La villa would be 460 (which runs from Brunico to Cofosco) and 465 (which is a more local bus - Corvara to San Cassiano and also to Falzarego Pass )
http://www.sii.bz.it/sites/default/files/netzplan_a3_2020.pdf

You can download a complete timetable for all lines here
http://www.sii.bz.it/sites/default/files/fp2020_web_0.pdf

And the ones for Alta Badia (and more) here - http://www.sii.bz.it/sites/default/files/ta_groden-gadertal_2020_web.pdf
ski holidays
Some flakes this morning in Val Gardena. Seems to be sticking, too. I can never quite read the precipitation forecast here https://www.valgardena.it/en/weather/precipitation-forecast/, I don't quite understand how the two X axes mesh, but it seems to indicate a total of 30 cm in the next 24 hours. Of course that could apply only to the higher altitudes.
snow report
Quote:

Made our annual pilgrimage to Refugio Santa Croche for lunch via the new Gondola.

Where's the new Gondola? Does it make it quicker/easier to get up there? Haven't been up to Santa Croche for several years as was a bit of a tedious trek with loads of horzontal lifts IIRC (coming over from Selva). Out at 1/2 term in Selva so hoping for lots of bad weather next week!
latest report
Pasigal wrote:
Some flakes this morning in Val Gardena. Seems to be sticking, too. I can never quite read the precipitation forecast here https://www.valgardena.it/en/weather/precipitation-forecast/, I don't quite understand how the two X axes mesh, but it seems to indicate a total of 30 cm in the next 24 hours. Of course that could apply only to the higher altitudes.

MMM!! NO!! It tells you what its predicting in white on the graphs. It says 0-1 cm for the next 24 hours. No chance of 30cm across the Dolomites in the next couple of weeks and very likely will be longer than that. There's been 1 half decent fall just before Xmas but nothing in December previous to that and nothing since apart from a few dustings. Possible couple of dustings around the 11th and 13th but then high pressure returns.
snow report
jma wrote:
Quote:

Where's the new Gondola? Does it make it quicker/easier to get up there? Haven't been up to Santa Croche for several years as was a bit of a tedious trek with loads of horzontal lifts IIRC (coming over from Selva). Out at 1/2 term in Selva so hoping for lots of bad weather next week!

New gondola begins from the mid section of Santa Croce slope.
snow report
@sheffskibod, Good one -- nice links Smile
snow report
There was plenty more than 1cm yesterday and more than that this morning again.

Very much needed, the pistes are a shadow of their former early January magnificence.

Once this fierce wind disappears, they'll have the snow cannons going full bifter. The sun will return, the prosecco will flow and all will be well again in the Dolomites.
latest report
@sheffskibod Spendid, good man! What im thinking about buses is - can i get a bus from Selva to La Villa or better still the bottom of the Sponata lift to get to Kronplatz. I made it last week, it took me about 1.5 hours to get to the bus at Sponata from Selva, another 45 mins to get to the top of Kronplatz. Corvara to La Villa on skis took about half an hour, if I could do that by bus then id save time. Bus from Corvara to Piculin would be sweet!!
Interesting stuff eh? Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
shiva_71 wrote:
@sheffskibod Spendid, good man! What im thinking about buses is - can i get a bus from Selva to La Villa or better still the bottom of the Sponata lift to get to Kronplatz. I made it last week, it took me about 1.5 hours to get to the bus at Sponata from Selva, another 45 mins to get to the top of Kronplatz. Corvara to La Villa on skis took about half an hour, if I could do that by bus then id save time. Bus from Corvara to Piculin would be sweet!!
Interesting stuff eh? Very Happy

You cant get a bus in winter from Selva to Corvara!!

You can get bus from Corvara to La Villa. If you get the right one you may be able to get off at Sponata Lift or if you want to go to Kronplatz just stay on the bus and get off at the Piculin lift. A lot quicker overall than skiing though you will have to pay a few Euros as the bus will not be a Skibus (Unless you get the connecting Piculin/Sponata bus)
latest report
Ok dunno if this is useful:
For Hidden Valley: Line 465 Corvara to Falzarego Pass, 45 mins every hour - whether this saves time depends on what the queues are like in Armentarolla
For Kronplatz: Line 460 Corvara to St. Lorenzo 60 mins every half hour, then skibus to Kronplatz gondola - might save an hour
Also maybe interesting, Line 471 Selva to Canazei AND Passo Pordoi, Line 472 Corvara to PP via Arabba
Still weird that there appears to be no "proper" skibus ie laid on by the ski regions and not local public transport...
ski holidays
Lifts in Madonna closed all day due to winds, same for Pinzolo with a few open in Marilleva/Folgarida. This evening snow cannons are on but the pistes looked barren as we drove past Wind is due to drop overnight but they said that yesterday as well.

After much umming and ahhing mid morning we decided to go to Passo Tonale, arrived ca 11:30 to find little wind and what looked to be a few inches of fresh snow also snow cannons running. The resort was fairly quiet with top of glacier closed. First pistes were lovely but around mid afternoon wind got up to fairly dramatic levels so lifts were stop start, within about 30 mins lifts were closing and pistes were hard packed ice. We left ca 3:45 but had a really nice few hours with mainly decent pistes and blue skies. Very few skiers were coming down the black from the glacier so we didn't even go for a look expecting it to be tricky conditions.

Drive from a Madonna to Tonale beautiful, took about an hour and there is a free car park at the Valbiolo lift.
latest report
How is Madonna skiing at mo?
ski holidays
8611 wrote:
How is Madonna skiing at mo?

Limited for last 3 days, lots of lift closures due to high winds. Snow just being blown off most pistes leaving packed ice but there is still plenty of snow around,

Looks like most lifts will be open tomorrow, temps due to stay around freezing and they have the snow makers on so we can expect things to improve over next few days. Overall not great at moment for a recreational skier.
ski holidays
Bit grim up at Seiseralm today. As with Madonna, the pistes have been scraped by the fierce winds. Lots of exposed hardpack, the cold (-10 plus windchill) and very strong gusts made skiing challenging at times. Still good fun though and the conditions made the bombardino stops all the more worthwhile!
latest report
shiva_71 wrote:
Ok dunno if this is useful:
For Hidden Valley: Line 465 Corvara to Falzarego Pass, 45 mins every hour - whether this saves time depends on what the queues are like in Armentarolla
For Kronplatz: Line 460 Corvara to St. Lorenzo 60 mins every half hour, then skibus to Kronplatz gondola - might save an hour
Also maybe interesting, Line 471 Selva to Canazei AND Passo Pordoi, Line 472 Corvara to PP via Arabba
Still weird that there appears to be no "proper" skibus ie laid on by the ski regions and not local public transport...

Line 471 and 472 only run in the Summer time, NOT in winter!!
latest report
@jimmybog, ok cheers i missed that...
snow conditions
Conditions much more friendly today- pistes back to normal.
Some areas are strangely crowded. We gave up trying to get to Secceda from St Ulrich as the cable car queues were huge.
ski holidays
Madonna also much better today though all blacks in a Madonna itself closed first thing with only a couple opened at all. They all had snow making this morning and the piste bashers were out on some mid afternoon. Get the right piste at the right time of day and it was lovely but in some areas the base came through quite early. Had a lovely run down piste 10 at lunch time just the right size of bumps for my ability but think it would be challenging at the end of the day. There was none of that real clear surface ice we had earlier in the week just a white base, not sure of correct terminology!

The right pistes in the morning were on the cinque laghi / Pradalago/ Patacoss side as they get the early sun and later in the day over on Groste. The short stretch from Spinale down to Groste was bad all day and when we finished at 4ish I stopped at a brow to check conditions and counted 5 unrelated accidents on the 20m long steep section below me.

Piste were still being bashed at 8:00 am evidently they waited for the wind to die down so didn’t start until late at night. Been around freezing all day and is cold now so conditions expected to be decent tomorrow.

Queues generally non existent but at 3:00 pm everyone from Marilleva decided to go back at the same time and the queue for Fortini was ridiculous. For anyone who knows the area the bridge between Fortini and Groste was gridlocked as the queue/crowd went right over it. An hour later you could jump straight on.

Non snow related but evidently this summer they plan replace the 4 seater Fortini chair lift with a gondola. The base station will move to next to Groste base so the bridge over the road will effectively be one way towards both gondolas.
latest report
pjd wrote:
Conditions much more friendly today- pistes back to normal.
Some areas are strangely crowded. We gave up trying to get to Secceda from St Ulrich as the cable car queues were huge.

It does sound as if parts of the Dolomites are busier this year during January/February. Will be interesting to see any reports at the end of the season regarding visitor numbers. Might be a pain skiing with lots of people about but an increase in visitor numbers should mean more future investment.
ski holidays
First of all anyone visiting Madonna should now about this useful site which gives live status of lifts and pistes, was very useful this week.
https://ski2.intermaps.com/v2/skimap_touch.asp?id=4359&lang=en

Our last day in Madonna as we drive over to Corvara tomorrow.

Beautiful sunny day, lifts very quiet, there was only one we had to queue for all day and that was about 2 mins!

Conditions where sun can reach were good today but shaded or very steep areas were still recovering from the wind earlier in the week. The bottom half of the Spinale black was closed this afternoon but Amazonia (on the south facing side) looked ok from the gondola and people seemed to be managing ok as we went over.

Patacoss side had sun all day and conditions were lovely when we came back from Pinzolo ca 2:30.

Pinzolo was a bit icey up top at first but that thawed a bit. Further down conditions good.

Two days ago Groste was closed and we were told it was an ice field yesterday. Popped up for last run today and it was lovely, nice snow hanging around on piste, amazing piste management. Lower down was a bit icey but it was as lifts were closing so understandable.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy