Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites 2019/2020

Poster: A snowHead
Another 10/12cm reported from the overnight snow in Val Gardena, Alpe Di Siusi and ALta Badia. Suspect other Dolomite resorts had similar or more. Now looking like it will be drying up for a while across the Dolomites, whilst NW Italy continues to benefit from more snow this week.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whoopee, finally my Christmas will not be spent glued to Dolomites webcams praying for snow. This is the most snow I have ever seen in the region since I've been following it, about 4 years . Lots of people who work in the industry will be putting their feet up Nov/Dec for a change. I'll be renting some big fat pow skis if it keeps up Smile
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For those of you connected to facebook - take a look at the state of Passo Valparolla. Needless to say, vitrually all passes are closed at the moment.

https://www.facebook.com/venetostrade/videos/2512776288808499/?__xts__[0]=68.ARBRyNA18sGU_-AjlGNrn4vdfL-bYh-nwT1ORg9C5SUTMU0CsKAwwoi5BdtZVeHKJOj_xWJDh_9CXdUfUsEk6bIr9InKGHr8KFg4aO_ZoKSdd_ZF9BNtijtd9jUDRovJuK3ZNCyp48018wdv0qQnk-7gXaLPzNrgIFd-iosDapgbnOzSQ5niMXJgnEme8PPqElnSRlsqJSXPSW29TOsJDjD9WwGB3C2X8Oqm38YBOrSTsUaVZClb0Z12gH8R-3GMR8vmZjNuVxd2ymDnGxjGaf5rU1PxbptIfkYUf2xM6aWxJLgAWU23kNJMwwm0qP0C6l5WykuLxpek328-i5CVTXsjtBztwFessUg&__tn__=-R
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fantastically good cover at Kronplatz and for once without the aid of artificial snow making. Expect some snow loss from the lower slopes over the next 10 days, but it looks as reliable as ever for early season skiing and open lifts from 30th November Cool

http://webtv.feratel.com/webtv/?design=v3&cam=6122
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Peter S, Just clicked on your link (14.45) to see someone skiing down -- lucky blighter ! (backpack on - probably a pisteur..)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
albob wrote:
@Peter S, Just clicked on your link (14.45) to see someone skiing down -- lucky blighter ! (backpack on - probably a pisteur..)

The 16:30cams are brilliant. Sun going down and snow laden peaks and trees above the cloud layer below. Beautiful!! And on the Bruneck cam, just saw a speedflyer take off into the sunset. Smile Smile
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@jimmybog, Yep - a lot of work going on :: bubble was running/bashers bashing

the Dolomite webcams are just brilliant Smile :: other resorts need to take notice..
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
albob wrote:
the Dolomite webcams are just brilliant Smile.

+1
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I received this yesterday in an email from Dolomiti Superski and thought I would share. It's all sounding good for the start of the season.

Quote:

The countdown has started!
More than half a meter of fresh snow above 1,000 m sea level and even masses of snow in higher altitudes in the Dolomites, make these days really exciting for all those who can’t wait for getting back on the slopes after a long summer break. And more snowfalls are forecasted for the coming up days as well. Although the official season’s start 2019-20 of Dolomiti Superski is scheduled on next 30th November, some lifts and slopes are already running since a couple of days and some more will be turned on in the next days, thanks to the good snow conditions.

Looking at their website it seems the 4 open lifts (today anyway, there may be more at the weekend) are

Cortina - Falzarego:

2 Falzarego/Col Gallina Chairlift 3/4

Three Peaks Dolomites - Passo Monto Croce:

01 Kreuzberg I Skilift
02 Kreuzberg I/bis Skilift

Gitschberg Jochtal:

201 Meransen Cable car
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi, has anyone skied in the Gitschberg- Jochtal area? Do you think its good for low level skiers? I'm going on an extended family, Christmas holiday staying in Rio di Pusteria (opposite cable car to Gitschberg). We're a very mixed group including non skiers, (hence the village accommodation) very competent skiers and some very nervous skiers. I had planned to suggest Kronplatz for those looking for nice blues, which is a short bus ride away. If anyone has knowledge of what to expect for the skiing on our doorstep it would be much appreciated. Very excited about current conditions!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@rachelb, I've never been there but must have driven past it a few times on the way to and from Corvara. I have to admit it sounds to me like a great choice for nervous beginners as it's a small, quiet resort with wide open slopes, so no worrying about being in other skiers way or having to rush your turns. It's south facing so should get the sunshine, if there's any, and the high altitude of the slopes and recent snowfalls means it should be in great condition when you're there.

I haven't looked at the bus timetables but if anyone in the group has a car it's probably a 40 minute drive to the lifts up to Kronplatz or another 20 minutes or so to get onto the Sella Ronda resorts. It doesn't sound like too bad a journey if the good skiers want to make the odd day trip to explore a bit more.

Have a great time and be sure to let us know how you get on!

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 22-11-19 17:53; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I had planned to suggest Kronplatz for those looking for nice blues

A nice area. Plenty to keep all but the experts busy; but there is the Piculin black run for them.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@rachelb, same here, been past G-J but never stopped. From the piste map, it looks like a varied area with steeper runs as you go up the mountain, quite a few drags on the Gitschberg side, some long open runs in Jochtal.

At Kronplatz, it's an upside-down mountain, easiest runs at the top. Though, the blues soon drop off the flattish top of the dome-shaped mountain, which can feel a bit intimidating for beginners.

There's also the Plose area above Brixen, included on the G-J liftpass, which has some nice blues on the upper bowl and amazing views across to the iconic Geislerspitzen/Odle.

You'll have some choices to make about liftpasses, the local G-J-B one, the Dolomiti Superski or the various combination passes which allow some days in the local areas and others to explore the other Dolomiti Superski areas.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@rachelb, this report from December last year shows what to expect at G-J...all in German, but there are lots of nice photos...

https://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=60552
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks very much for the replies. We will have a mini bus so the better skiers can do the Sella Ronda resorts with an early start. Glad to hear Plose sounds nice as it's included on the pass, and is close by, so an obvious choice. I'm going to sit down and look at all the lift pass combinations with family members - there are worse jobs to have! Have to say I'm so pleased there is snow there now, makes the webcam watching much more fun. We're all getting very excited!
ski holidays
'this report from December last year shows what to expect at G-J...all in German, but there are lots of nice photos...'

Thanks for that @luigi, it looks just what I was hoping for. Very pretty and not too daunting for my nervous relatives!
snow report
@rachelb, here's another for Brixen-Plose:

https://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=59249

And this one from December last year of Kronplatz and 3 Zinnen areas, he uses the train to get about :

https://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=62298

Hope that helps!!
snow conditions
Wow that's really helpful. I couldn't find anything like that myself. It's good to be able to show some photos to the others too, who basically have no idea where they are going and are trusting me that its all safe Confused Thanks again Very Happy
latest report
rachelb wrote:
Wow that's really helpful. I couldn't find anything like that myself. It's good to be able to show some photos to the others too, who basically have no idea where they are going and are trusting me that its all safe Confused Thanks again Very Happy

South Tyrol is a charming place to visit, the best of both worlds, Italian dolce vita meets Austrian efficiency!
snow conditions
Absolutely. I'm a recent convert to the South Tirol, (resorts on the Sella Ronda). I love it there and thankfully the food is far more Italian than Austrian. Perfecto!
snow report
Can’t seem to find open hotels on 30th Nov. in Corvara for the opening of the season.
ski holidays
erica2004 wrote:
Can’t seem to find open hotels on 30th Nov. in Corvara for the opening of the season.

Alta Badia was originally due to open the weekend after and i suspect the hoteliers planned to open the same time.
snow report
^ What he said.

Quote:

The skiing season in Alta Badia will be open from 04.12.2019 - 14.04.2020.
ski holidays
I did come across a list of what opens when:

Quote:

Cortina d’Ampezzo 30 Nov 2019
Kronplatz/Plan de Corones 30 Nov 2019
Alta Badia 04 Dec 2019
Val Gardena/Alpe di Siusi 05 Dec 2019
Val di Fassa 05 Dec 2019
Arabba/Marmolada 30 Nov 2019
3 Peaks Dolomites – Passo Mte. Croce 16 Nov 2019
3 Peaks Dolomites – Croda Rossa 23 Nov 2019
3 Peaks Dolomites – Elmo/Orto del Toro 30 Nov 2019
Val di Fiemme/Obereggen 30 Nov 2019
San Martino di Castrozza/Passo Rolle 30 Nov 2019
Gitschberg Jochtal 06 Dec 2019
Plose 07 Dec 2019
Alpe Lusia – San Pellegrino 30 Nov 20190
Civetta 30 Nov 2019
SELLARONDA Ski Tour 05 Dec 2019
WORLD WAR Ski Tour 26 Dec 2019
snow conditions
Looking at the Meteoceil model the trend appears to be drier and cooler after the 30th November. That would be good for the start of the season.
snow report
^^^ Surely wetter would be better Peter S?? Puzzled
snow report
Mountainaddict,

The Dolomites are famous for sunny clear weather, perfect for skiing. Their shelter from saturated westerly airstreams tends to mean drier air than other parts of the alps. Dry air has a high lapse rate, the decline in temperature with altitude. A high lapse rate therefore conserves more snow than a low lapse rate. Dry air allows snow to evaporate more thereby cooling the surrounding snow and reducing its rate of loss. Saturated air on the other hand does not have capacity to absorb more moisture through evaporation so the snow melts more quickly when the temperature is above zero. Saturated air is also poorer for snowmaking and more likely to lead to icy pistes.

All the snow this year has come from the south, the one direction the Dolomites are not sheltered from. The air is currently saturated which means the snow is wet. Moving to a drier air stream should help dry the snow out and reduce the risk of icy pistes. snowHead
latest report
Flying into Venice airport (Marco Polo) on 8 Dec

Anyone know if city flooding is likely to affect airport?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No way, there is no geographical relation between the two. The laguna flooding affects the old city of Venice. The airport is on the main land, in Mestre.
If you'll have a free day, store your luggage at the airport and take the bus to see Venice if it's not flooded that day (aqua alta)
latest report
@drporat, many thanks
ski holidays
rachelb wrote:
Absolutely. I'm a recent convert to the South Tirol, (resorts on the Sella Ronda). I love it there and thankfully the food is far more Italian than Austrian. Perfecto!

You might find in Pustertal that the flavour is a bit more Austrian. German language is certainly almost universal there.
snow conditions
Ta for that Peter S - I was curious but semi-facetiously suggesting that precipitation (ie snow!) would be good.

Anyway, we are actively considering booking Ryanair flights to either Verona or Treviso (plus car hire) for our first full week in the Dolomites. Experience of the area to date has been only a couple of days in Cortina and the same in Madonna di Campiglio. Been looking at accommodation possibilities - a reasonably priced apartment would be great...Doesn't seem to be that much that is bookable online via tourist office websites though... rolling eyes, which makes it a bit of a faff on sending emails etc...

So it was on to Booking.com etc - where I have found apartment possibilities in Pozza di Fassa and Arabba.

Would both be decent bases?? Would we need to drive much?
ski holidays
We've been to Colfosco a couple of times, really enjoyed it. Easy access to slopes, good, well priced food and wine. Arabba has larger hotels and more going on -so perhaps an opportunity to get something at a better price, Colfosco is smaller and quieter but has everything you need - stunning scenery. Nearby Corvara is bigger but similar.

Try residence riposo or ciasa dorigo with Mary and Georg (Georg also runs the la cianoa wine bar or enoteca thats worth a visit if wine is your thing). Both around Euro 50 pppn in peak season, less outside.

Getting there is a pain - we've done Innsbruck and Milan Bergamo. Going via Venice this year. I think any which way is a long way.
snow conditions
I would opt for Arabba as it sits on the the Sella Ronda giving access to much more skiing. You might need road transport in Pozza di Fassa depending on how fast you cover the ground. I think there’s a good bus service that runs along the valley so no car required. snowHead
ski holidays
I see from the webcams that the Campolongo chair started running at the weekend. Smile :: just a few skiers seen
snow conditions
Definite drop in temperature being modelled for this weekend. Good to see humidity today finally dropping below 100%. It looks as though it has been snowing and raining there all month. Must be someone else’s turn from here!

Conditions potentially superb for opening weekend in Kronplatz, as long as it remains sunny. Looks as though all but the lowest runs have seasonal depth pistes… before the season even begins! Will be interesting to see how many pistes and lifts they open but I imagine it will be popular Cool

https://kronplatz.panomax.com/
latest report
Ta for the responses & the info. Smile
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, I've stayed at both places in recent years.

For Pozza, there is the skibus, but realistically you will need to use a car, but that does open up lots of worthwhile & quieter smaller areas along the valley...Carezza, Passo San Pellegrino, Alpe Lusia, Catinaccio, Buffaure, Latemar, etc

Arabba has access to the most challenging terrain in the area, easy access to Sella Ronda both ways, Marmolada, Great War Skitour & Hidden Valley and you wouldn't need the car once in resort.

Treviso is best for Arabba, up the A27 and then Belluno, Agordo, Caprile... Just watch those hefty Ryanair baggage charges that can make a cheaper flight more expensive.

Verona is best for Val di Fassa, A22 to Ora, then over to Cavalese, Predazzo...

Accommodation walking distance to the lifts in Arabba will be pricier than something in Val di Fassa, particularly if it's away from the lifts, Moena, Soraga, Vigo or Pera are all good options too if you're happy using the car to get about.
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, Valle Silver pass for Val di Fassa covers the areas I mentioned plus the Canazei/Campitello segments of the Sella Ronda, but to do the Sella Ronda you need the Dolomiti Superski pass. At Arabba, you would need the Dolomiti Superski to explore fully.
snow conditions
I've skied down to (and back from) Pozza the last couple of times I've been in the area, once when staying in Selva and once when in Arabba. Nice skiing and super quiet. I'm actually going to have a week there this March and will probably repeat that journey most days to get and onto the SR areas and then explore some of the other Val di Fassa areas on the other days.

Perfectly feasible for competent red run skiers to complete a circuit of the SR starting from and ending at Pozza with no need for car or bus. The new double decker lift from
Alba to the Belvedere area is a big help
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy