Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hestra Army Leather Gore-Tex vs. Non-Gore-Tex

Poster: A snowHead
Roguevfr wrote:
Gauntlet gloves will fail in rain under every circumstances since the rain runs into them via the sleeves. Sleeves over gtx gloves is the only way forward.

This is a point that is not often raised.

I like Gauntlet Gloves from an ease of use pov, but I do have gloves that go inside the sleeves of the Jacket for when it's raining. Given I usually go in Jan or early Feb, rain is seldom a problem....but I suspect may become more of an issue with global warming.

In early Feb 2020, we arrived in Arc 1600 in the rain and the following day had very soggy skiing. I had never encountered rain before late Jan / early Feb at this height.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 25-12-22 22:39; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I solve this particular problem by - bear with me - putting the jacket sleeve over the gauntlet on the rainy days. Genius I know wink

Buying a new jacket is the obvious answer, but tbh, I like gauntlets for the rest of the time (and the jacket is in every other way perfect for me, and the sleeves are only really about 1/2 “ short).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pejoli wrote:
Applying a bit of light CPR to this thread, but I’m in a similar situation, looking for gloves that are gauntlet style (my gibbon arms are just a touch too long for my North Face jacket), goretex as I always seem to somehow end up in rainy conditions, and removable liners so they can perform double duty as spring gloves. My Hestra Pointer gtx gloves fail on all three points, and didn’t quite cut the mustard in yesterdays Tignes downpour - they came home like sponges.

Anyway, noticed Hestra are now producing a gtx glove that seems to fit all of the above criteria - albeit at a significant price (liners extra Shocked ): https://www.hestragloves.us/army-leather-heli-ski-gtx-r-gore-grip-technology-black

Anyone have, or tried on a pair ?

These Gloves meet a lot of your criteria including a removable liner* - though while waterproof, are not Goretex. They are high quality at a give away price, if the sizes work for you. https://www.tkmaxx.com/uk/en/unisex/sports+fitness-accessories/black-explorer-pro-gloves/p/02162281

This is the glove (normally £140 - £160): https://www.reusch.com/int/en/shop/winter/men/alpine-ski-gloves-men/reusch-explorer-pro-r-tex%C2%AE-pcr-xt-lc/?card=12182

*Edit. It's possible that it's only the Lobster Claw version of the Explorer Pro range that has the removable liner.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Roguevfr wrote:
Gauntlet gloves will fail in rain under every circumstances since the rain runs into them via the sleeves. .

Not in all circumstances….. if it rains just ski with you hands pointing up to the sky. Simple’s Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Old Fartbag,
Quote:

This is a point that is not often raised.

'Cos, who skis in the rain?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name wrote:

'Cos, who skis in the rain?

Those who only get 6 days skiing per year, so can't be too choosy. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Old Fartbag, or, I suppose, those skiing in Scotland (of which I have done much)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Old Fartbag, or, I suppose, those skiing in Scotland (of which I have done much)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Old Fartbag wrote:

These Gloves meet a lot of your criteria including a removable liner* - though while waterproof, are not Goretex. They are high quality at a give away price, if the sizes work for you. https://www.tkmaxx.com/uk/en/unisex/sports+fitness-accessories/black-explorer-pro-gloves/p/02162281

This is the glove (normally £140 - £160): https://www.reusch.com/int/en/shop/winter/men/alpine-ski-gloves-men/reusch-explorer-pro-r-tex%C2%AE-pcr-xt-lc/?card=12182

*Edit. It's possible that it's only the Lobster Claw version of the Explorer Pro range that has the removable liner.

Thanks for spotting those - Have ordered a pair in XL to take a look, and will report back.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:

That used to happen occasionally when I was a kid at Glenshee, but I wouldnt even get out my bed if there was potential rain these days !!

All my Scottish skiing is in bluebird conditions on quiet (non school holiday) days.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I’m in the 6-13 days/year skiiing category, and having pre-paid on that ~€70/day lift pass, my Yorkshire genes take over. I don’t need to be out for long to feel I’ve got my vfm though.

I actually generally enjoy it, in a perverse, masochistic way - I tend to like doing drills anyway, so practising soft knees etc in low viz always gives me something back for the effort. Just don’t like putting those gloves back on after a break when they’re sopping wet - it’s the cold hands that generally send me back home.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pejoli wrote:
I’m in the 6-13 days/year skiiing category, and having pre-paid on that ~€70/day lift pass, my Yorkshire genes take over. I don’t need to be out for long to feel I’ve got my vfm though.
Laughing Laughing

A few years ago, out in really wet closed in conditions (proper UK camping rain) Les Gets, adjourned to a cafè and out of the gloom came two more couples skiing toward cafè. Entered with a "ow-doo" as introduction, one from Yorkshire and one from Cumbria laughing about getting value for paid lift passes, they were last on slopes as vis went to nothing after.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Pejoli wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

Thanks for spotting those - Have ordered a pair in XL to take a look, and will report back.

I found the Lobster Claw version at my local TK Maxx, which does have a removable liner.....but the 3 in 1 info is absent from the Glove version. Either way, you have a really good glove at a third of its RRP - and which can be returned to any TK Maxx store if not suitable.

I look forward to hearing how it works out.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Pejoli, How did the Reusch gloves work out?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Finally found the time to reply. Well the gloves are pretty nice - the leather feels maybe a bit softer than my Hestra started out at, but they look well put together, I like the four way stretch and the cinch mechanism at the cuff, and they are pretty warm on the hands as far as I can judge in the living room. The XL size is actually a 9.5 which just about fits me. I’m impressed enough that I’ve ordered my wife a pair in mediums to try.

But…. As you suspected @Old Fartbag, the liners on the glove model are non-removable (unlike your lobsters), which was one of my key criteria. So I’m debating whether to keep them as main/back up winter gloves for when the Hestras give up the ghost.

Regardless I will also continue looking to see if if I can find something that would also cover my spring needs too - Im considering ordering a pair of Dakine Leather Titans which also appear to fit the brief (and my last Dakines have only just gone in the bin after 24 years when sons wrist guards finally overstressed the palms in his first week of snowboarding - even being beaten up and semi-duct tape, they still retained their waterproofing really impressively). Anyone with experience of that model? Other option may be a pair of Burtons.
snow conditions
@Pejoli, Thanks for getting back.

It's worth noting, that if you register the gloves with Reusch - which requires a photo of the receipt and the gloves themselves - they will repair them FOC for 5 years: https://www.reusch.com/int/en/more/

Nb. In my case, it took a couple of days for them to give me my personal warranty number - which ended up in the spam folder.

I'd keep them - as they are great quality for what they cost....and you never know when they may prove useful. Toofy Grin

In the past, I looked at buying Titans - but in the end didn't, so can't comment.
snow conditions
Might be worth bearing in mind whether the gore-tex membrane is around the outside of the glove or is the inner liner as it often used to be. If it is the latter then the insulation will get waterlogged in the rain and will lose some or most of its insulation properties.

I would reiterate the gauntlet in the rain is a liability so hold your hands in the air if it rains Little Angel

I think Hestra put the membrane in the outer shell wink
latest report
Hi there

Thread bump I know but I was looking for something else and then stumbled into this thread and specifically the question of removable liner Vs Gore-tex. It also looks like this has been bumped several times already so I hope you don't all mind reopening this topic.

Fyi I have an older pair of Hestra heli with both Gore-tex *and* removable fleecey liners.

Does anyone know if hestra do reconditioning repairs?

Not being able to buy a direct replacement does bother me for when these wear out eventually. While incidentally I need to pull a couple of stitches into the join of my thumb, I think eventually when they pass to glove heaven it will be the friction of ski poles straps wearing through the fabric backing of the hand.

Kind regards
Chris
latest report
Roguevfr wrote:
HerculesJack wrote:
So is there any technical reason why they can't just let the Gore Tex version also has removable liners?

Because the fixed construction protects the integrity of the goretex lining.

P s. I'm pretty sure it's probably cost and not durability that caused Hestra to dump doing both at the same time. I guess that because once the liners are removed they're not raw Gore-tex on the inside; there's still another fabric not too dissimilar to a lighter weight version of the fabric from the back of the hand between skin and the delicate gore lining.
snow report
Pejoli wrote:
Applying a bit of light CPR to this thread, but I’m in a similar situation, looking for gloves that are gauntlet style (my gibbon arms are just a touch too long for my North Face jacket), goretex as I always seem to somehow end up in rainy conditions, and removable liners so they can perform double duty as spring gloves. My Hestra Pointer gtx gloves fail on all three points, and didn’t quite cut the mustard in yesterdays Tignes downpour - they came home like sponges.

Anyway, noticed Hestra are now producing a gtx glove that seems to fit all of the above criteria - albeit at a significant price (liners extra Shocked ): https://www.hestragloves.us/army-leather-heli-ski-gtx-r-gore-grip-technology-black

I’ve got a pair and they’re fantastic; very warm but not sweaty. Not yet managed to try them out in anything other than light rain/sleet but they stayed waterproof and warm in those conditions and the leather didn’t get too soggy (I do use the leather balm supplied by Hestra though).
ski holidays
I have an old pair of Hestra Heliski 3 finger lobster mittens, they have a 5 fingered removable liner which I love as I find it gives extra dexterity. They’ve been well used and I want to replace them with an identical pair. However I can only find 3 fingered gloves with 3 fingered inserts.

I thought I had solved it when I found the gore-tex version had a 5 fingered liner so I ordered straight away, but when they arrived to my dismay I found the liner was not removable.

One of the things I really love about my current pair is being able to remove the liner to dry it out thoroughly at the end of the day (and to give it a was from time to time)

Has Hestra just stopped making the 3 fingered mitten with 5 fingered removable liner?
snow conditions
@ZoeMcLean, couldn't you just buy a pair of these? https://www.theskierslounge.co.uk/dpt/glove-type/hestra-glove-liners-5-finger-qualofil-for-army-heli-gloves__905?currency=GBP&chosenAttribute=34070-020-13&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7P6Xy9nxhAMVl5VQBh0UcgWfEAQYAiABEgLx_vD_BwE
snow conditions
That’s the option I’m considering - but I don’t really want to pay extra for a second set of liners if I can avoid it.
ski holidays
The older Gore-tex version also used to have removable liner. At least the five finger did.

The newer versions only have removable liner in non Gore-tex version. The gore version is not removable liner. (At least as far as 5 fingers go).

Those liners can all be bought separately I thought. Have you looked at those?
snow report
Blackblade wrote:
Pejoli wrote:

I’ve got a pair and they’re fantastic; very warm but not sweaty. Not yet managed to try them out in anything other than light rain/sleet but they stayed waterproof and warm in those conditions and the leather didn’t get too soggy (I do use the leather balm supplied by Hestra though).

Well after a couple of years of dithering, I’ve just ordered a pair - £50 off at alpine trek (so only very expensive, rather than stupidly). I will report back.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy