Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hestra Army Leather Gore-Tex vs. Non-Gore-Tex

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know if there is a substantial difference between the above two gloves? It's about £20-30 different in price but the Gore-Tex may be too efficient in keeping water out: some Gore-Tex lined boots I have are roasting hot when it gets warm.

I've got some of the older version of what are now called the Fall Line but were called Vertical Cut Freeride. They're a nice apple-green colour but I find they let water in at the back through the foam pad so am looking for something toastier. Any thoughts?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My advice would be to go with the "Heli" version, which is not Goretex (not necessary unless you ski in the rain a lot).

The Heli have a removable liner for washing; are probably slightly warmer and more breathable (Goretex reduces breathability). The only caveat is, that in order to keep them snow-proof, they need regular applications of their Leather Balm. Mittens are warmer than Gloves....and Lobster Claws are the compromise.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 24-10-19 14:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I’ve got the gore tex lobster mitts, and previously had non goretex heli mittens. I prefer the goretex, though it’s a shame the liners aren’t removable-which was a feature I liked on the standard mittens. I’d replaced the mitten liner with a five finger liner which I think was warmer. But I think (not having my lobsters to check, the lobsters have 5 finger liners. I also think they’re a bit more hard wearing.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've got both the goretex and non-goretex version of the 5-finger heli glove. They are great gloves, warm and I find them to be extremely durable.

I recently moved to the non-goretex version solely because of the benefits the removable liner has in terms of being able to be washed over having a rather smelly glove Skullie The smelly goretex ones are now the backup pair rolling eyes

I also started to have issues with the liner not sitting properly and also coming out of place within the finger holes of the gore-tex version after 2 years of use.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks very much, as I thought the Gore-Tex fabric will be too much. I'm going to find a nearby shop and go in for a look and at the same time try them on for size. I'll probably buy a liner as well so I can use them as a powder/foul weather pair and keep the Fall-line-type gloves for better days or if there's any ski mountaineering-type activity needed.

This is what I like about Snowheads: helpful people giving their opinion which so often cuts through the rubbish written in various websites' reviews.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
justabod wrote:

This is what I like about Snowheads: helpful people giving their opinion which so often cuts through the rubbish written in various websites' reviews.

Anytime you need tips on Italian cakes, give us a shout snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Perty wrote:
I’d replaced the mitten liner with a five finger liner which I think was warmer. But I think (not having my lobsters to check, the lobsters have 5 finger liners. I also think they’re a bit more hard wearing.

I have the lobster claws for my cold weather glove. The liner is also lobster claw.

Not worn them yet, end of season sale, but they are awesome, looking forward to January! Went non-gore tex due to liner.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I found my old Goretex Heli ones. Must be 20 odd years old, only worn a couple of weeks then lost in the loft. Have a separate liner as well so I'll be treating the leather and using them this season.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gravity-slave wrote:
Perty wrote:
I’d replaced the mitten liner with a five finger liner which I think was warmer. But I think (not having my lobsters to check, the lobsters have 5 finger liners. I also think they’re a bit more hard wearing.

I have the lobster claws for my cold weather glove. The liner is also lobster claw.

Not worn them yet, end of season sale, but they are awesome, looking forward to January! Went non-gore tex due to liner.

In VT at a shop that stocks Hestra and discussing what was the best option for a female friend that wanted something super toasty, we were told that the mittens where the fingers aren't separated are warmer than the ones where the fingers are. Supposedly its a bit of a heat island effect, vs having each finer insulated individually. Although not sure really what the data/evidence would suggest,
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have a few hestra gloves.
I have, and have had, many pairs of the army leather goretex gloves. They are excellent. Skiied many hundreds of days and no problem with not having a removable liner. They have packed down a bit now so I use them with the hestra merino wool liners which are also really good. Because it can be a bit damp here, goretex ones are definitely the way to go.
I also have non-goretex hestra lobsters. I use these when it is really cold, being damp is not a problem then (because they don't get damp when it's really cold)
My son had the non goretex army leather ones and they definitely got wet through on damper days.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have the non goretex ones and either they don't get wet, or they do and the wool liner stays warm.

I'm not too bad at treating the leather.

I am not allowed to ski in the rain (Mrs thinks it's a preposterous idea),
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Definitely would go inside if it was raining, but the decision gets tougher when it is on the cusp: say, snowing at the top, but sleety, wet snow falling at the bottom. I would usually stay out and so waterproof gear, including GoreTex gloves, are important for enjoying those conditions.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ulmerhutte, naw, you do not need gore-tex gloves in that.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Coming back to this: I've found these: https://skigloveshop.co.uk/product/hestra-heli-ski-outdry-gloves?id=1115. I did try the Hestra Gore-Tex but they didn't fit well as the palm is too short at the wrist. They were very toasty though which is a shame.

The pair above are v expensive but have a removable liner as well as having an 'Outdry' layer. Does anyone have any experience of this at all, is it actually waterproof? One article I read said it's good but not as good as Gore-Tex. The main thing is though that they fit well and are comfortable.

Does anyone know if I could put a warmer liner in them? They're described as "Heli" so despite being an old model will a new Heli liner fit in them?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@justabod, fit is a very personal thing, and if the current Heli goretex gloves weren't the right shape for your hands these may not be either. You need to try them on yourself, rather than relying on internet opinions for fit.

Can't comment on the waterproofing, other than that the only truly waterproof gloves I've had were goretex (not hestra), and my hestra c zones were never fully waterproof.
snow conditions
For a lot less you can get these. Okay, they are mitts but I've used these for the last three years.

https://www.nordicoutdoor.co.uk/army-leather-heli-ski-mitt-11894.html
snow conditions
I think the Gore-tex ones have an extra layer of leather on both the thumb and index finger.
Should prolong the life of quite an expensive bit of kit.
snow report
I have a non leather palmed version of the hestra mitts above and they are unbeleivably warm. Skied in minus 25 plus wind and they were ace.

Also have a pair of dainese goretex gloves that aren't very padded and they are perfect spring gloves, dry and no overheating.
snow report
Hestra leather gloves keep for many years goretex/other membran do not keep that long, when bending all the time.

I would go for the non goretex and keep them waterproof by treating them with the smelly stuff.
https://hestragloves.com/sport/da-dk/gloves/alpine-pro/30572-army-leather-heli-ski/880/

Very Happy
snow report
I recently ordered both the Gore-Tex and non Gore-Tex versions of this glove, in the same size 9 (Large). Both beautiful, well made gloves, with great features. While the non Gore-Tex fit, well, like a glove, the Gore-Tex version felt a little tight across the palm, and the fingers were a full 3/4" too long. The Gore-Tex version felt a lot stiffer too, and dexterity is important because I carry my 35mm camera and need to be able to manipulate controls. In addition, I noticed as pointed out by others, that the Gore-Tex version does not have a removable liner, while the non Gore-Tex version does.

So I think fit is the most important thing, and snug is not good, because in my opinion, instead of stretching the glove, you end up just compacting the insulation.

As to waterproof—water resistant, I cannot attest to that yet as I have not tried the gloves in real conditions. But I plan to just keep the non Gore-Tex version, and return the Gore-Tex. I'll just figure on treating the leather with Hestra's leather balm frequently (comes with a small tube, and I have already ordered more), and spray the fabric occasionally with a water resistance tech spray like Nikwax TX.
snow conditions
Excellent post with excellent detail on a reply to a 2 year old thread.

Curious what the 2 post will be Happy
ski holidays
Thanks. The post may be 2 years old, but I just found it today while researching this same model glove. I found the whole thread very useful, especially considering that I had not noticed that the liner on the non Gore-Tex version was removable, while the Gore-Tex version was not. I consider that a valuable feature.

In any case, I had not bought new gloves in over 12 years, so maybe you'll see another post from me around 2033 wink .
ski holidays
@MaverickRK, I thought your post was great. I am posting this in a light hearted manner so take it in that jovial vein, but so often we see resurection of threads with good advice like yours then post 2 has a link to their company. Happy

Seems you are the outlier. Happy

I have the standard mitts with the removable liner. They are great. I also have the gloves with removable liner and ski in slushy Scotland. I have had Goretex gloves with non-removable liners and found them too hot on the hand but cold on the fingers. I wouldn't bother about goretex I would rate removable liners above all else.
ski holidays
@MaverickRK, useful thread resurrection actually. I need gloves for this season, and these are on the list.
latest report
@telford_mike, I just ordered in pairs in medium and large in the following brands: Spyder, Burton, Columbia, Hestra, and Arc'teryx. (I even tried the "3-finger" models from Hestra, but did not like that "mitten" feeling at all.) All were the top of the line models. The Arc'teryx Fission SV and the Hestra Army Leather Heli Ski gloves were by far the best made ones I tried. Neither one had the little warmer packet pockets that I had on my old Spyders, while most of the other did, but I did not consider that a "no-deal" missing feature as I rarely used it over the last 12 years; plus the little warming packets burn out within a few hours anyway.

The Arc'teryx Fission SV just did not fit me well, and even though review sites seem to rank them tops for dexterity, I do not think they were anywhere near as easy to use my camera with as are the Hestras.

But I think it really comes down to fit. Like feet, we all tend to have different shaped hands; e.g. long slender fingers vs short pudgy ones, etc. If you are between sizes like I am, as indicated by the measurement charts on many of the manufacturers' sites, then in a ski glove (as opposed to a work glove, or warm sports glove) I think it is best to go to the larger size, as compressing the insulation defeats its purpose.

I don't know how the Amazon or other online distributor policy is where you are, but here in the U.S. it is great. And they have a lot more brands, models, and sizes than almost all local stores, even though I live in a large metropolitan area like San Diego. I just look for that "Returnable" or "Try before you buy" and then bring in all the models and sizes at once. I keep all the packing material, bags, inserts, etc. together when I open the packages. Then I try them all on, with and without extra silk or polypropylene liners, and work my camera gear with them. When I have settled on one, I carefully package up the others exactly the way I found them, and return them. Here in the U.S. almost all the returns are free, even if you ship them UPS, but if you take them back to Whole Foods (which Amazon owns), you do not even have to put them back in shipping boxes or bags. You just use a QR code when you hand them over the counter there. Instant refund or credit. It's great. Good luck.
ski holidays
@MaverickRK, I see you are in SD. Lovely place. My last trip was at Tower 23 on Pacific beach after a week at the conference centre. My best man lives up in the Uni area. Another friend.lived on Coronado when her dad was an instructor (UK pilot).

I get to speak to a real Mav Happy

Cheers
Bob from Scotland
ski holidays
@MaverickRK, thanks for that, and I'm glad you didn’t wait until 2033 to continue the conversation. These gloves are for sale at our local shop here in Wengen, so I'll try them on there. Prices are a little higher than online, but the whole process is a lot simpler in a 'real' shop Very Happy

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 28-10-21 0:23; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@MaverickRK, Oh and welcome.to Snowheads
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
@MaverickRK, Oh and welcome.to Snowheads

+1, welcome Very Happy
snow report
I had Gore Tex hestra gloves and washed them because they got smelly. Due to my abuse the Gore Tex layer got tangled up in one of the gloves and I had to cut it out with a pair of scissors and a sigh. I proof them once a year and on the hill I can't tell the difference by the one with the Gore Tex and the one without. It doesn't rain much here though. I vote no need for Gore Tex.
ski holidays
How poignant it feels to open this thread to see I posted a reply back on 24th Oct 2019, when the chaos of the last 19 months was still way under distant horizons….

I think Mr P bought me a new pair of the Goretex Hestra Lobster mitts that Christmas, which I wear with additional Ortovox glove liners. I’m always going to get cold hands, but they remain my faves.
latest report
I am a big fan of the standard army ones but the liner is worn out. I don't know if its worth replacing the liner £25 or use them as a spare pair with the old liner.
latest report
So is there any technical reason why they can't just let the Gore Tex version also has removable liners?
ski holidays
HerculesJack wrote:
So is there any technical reason why they can't just let the Gore Tex version also has removable liners?

Because the fixed construction protects the integrity of the goretex lining.
latest report
I have had my goretex version for about 6 years. Mittens. No issues with smell. Amazing glove. I do like the idea of the removeable liner but wonder if it is more gimmick than actual use as I have no issue in not removing my liner. Wife has the heli pair and really likes them. Hestra gloves are the nuts.
latest report
Skiing in rain?
Gore Tex

Skiing in snow?
Hestra or other leather guide gloves with hestra wax - can be gore or not - pretty equal. But use merino liners.

Skiing in normal dry weather or high temps
As above but merino liners incredibly important for keeping hands dry of sweat
snow report
+1 for merino liners. I have the Rab liners and use them inside my cold weather gore hestras and lightweight warmer weather gloves.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:

I am not allowed to ski in the rain (Mrs thinks it's a preposterous idea),

Your Mrs is entirely correct. Punter behaviour.
snow conditions
Applying a bit of light CPR to this thread, but I’m in a similar situation, looking for gloves that are gauntlet style (my gibbon arms are just a touch too long for my North Face jacket), goretex as I always seem to somehow end up in rainy conditions, and removable liners so they can perform double duty as spring gloves. My Hestra Pointer gtx gloves fail on all three points, and didn’t quite cut the mustard in yesterdays Tignes downpour - they came home like sponges.

Anyway, noticed Hestra are now producing a gtx glove that seems to fit all of the above criteria - albeit at a significant price (liners extra Shocked ): https://www.hestragloves.us/army-leather-heli-ski-gtx-r-gore-grip-technology-black

Anyone have, or tried on a pair ?
ski holidays
Gauntlet gloves will fail in rain under every circumstances since the rain runs into them via the sleeves. Sleeves over gtx gloves is the only way forward. Perhaps a more modern jacket would improve matters, I cant see many people for whom norrona, black diamond or most others would be short inbthe sleeves .
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy