Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How many ski lessons

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Im no sure that skiing with music is a grea idea, I like to hear all these out of control skiers coming so I can avoid them
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
robs1 wrote:
Im no sure that skiing with music is a grea idea, I like to hear all these out of control skiers coming so I can avoid them

Not if yourself the one at the edge of out of control.

Or don't have the skill to avoid them anyway, won't help hearing them coming after you!

Nothing takes up space more than out of context, blanket "answers"
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lessons are always a good idea in my experience otherwise you can continue with bad habits. I would opt for some lessons for a few days.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Welcome!! snowHead

I fit your stats for age although likely a lot less fit. Started 2015 but have managed to do 10 trips in that time. I think I'm a pretty ok skier now, early advanced, and its mostly down to lessons and snowdome practice.

I would do a lesson every week if I could in the UK and at least half the week on holiday. Since I go to the snowdome I don't need to find my ski legs (well maybe a bit as it is a different feeling) so we've typically done 3 half day private lessons on holiday and then skied on our own. Can you get to a dome at all ?

My wife and I aren't wildly apart in ability but I've found if you get a good instructor they could easily do both at the same time. I'd probably look on here for instructor recommendations for the resort you're going to. As Pam said previously its not how fast you can go but how controlled you are. I hear the same saying a lot from instructors in that speed hides bad technique, I find it much harder to go slow with a good turn shape than going fast. For me I'd do at least 3 days but probably 5 of half day (morning) lessons and find an instructor that can work with you both no matter your level.

Alternatively, go on something like a holiday course from InsideOut Skiing https://www.insideoutskiing.com/holidays.html. They may split you up by ability so that might work out. My wife and I are booked with them for next year and I'm looking forward to half days of lessons and then tuning that in the afternoon. I'm a level 8 on their scale and I know I'm going to be learning for many years but then I love that learning process.

As for your wife being nervous, I feel her pain, it will pass though with experience. Well the slopes get shallower at least.

If you can get to a snowdome they're awesome for getting better.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sounds like my husband and I.

He goes off and I catch up when he’s tripped himself up trying to be smart Laughing

I usually have a lesson. If for nothing other than having someone tell me ‘I can do it’.

3 weeks in we were both still having lessons.

OH isn’t bothered by lessons now, but I had to laugh last time he was at Castleford the folk on the lift told him to loosen up and lean forward :r Cool
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think your tuition needs a targeted mental element. For you to slow down and for her to gain confidence.

The music thing was shown on here with a mountain biker who went faster with music as it takes your mind off the fear or technicality.

I would try to minimize skiing together and each to find a group at their own level, otherwise frustration will build.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think "how many ski lessons?" is the wrong question. I think the better question is "Do I want to get better?". If the answer to that question is yes, the next question should be "What's the most effective way to get better?". Good ski lessons might well be a part of the solution, but there are other important factors such as focused practice, attitude to learning, range of experience rather than lots of the same experience. This is all more important than trying to identify the numerical limit to the number of hours one needs to spend in ski school.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@rob@rar hits the nail on the head, as usual. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mgrolf wrote:
@rob@rar hits the nail on the head, as usual. Very Happy
I think mostly I've been hitting my head against a wall recently, but nice to get one right.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@rob@rar, titter.

I am still of the opinion that with one week a year, one's ambitions should be modest...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name wrote:
@rob@rar, titter.

I am still of the opinion that with one week a year, one's ambitions should be modest...

Au Contrare Mon Ami - One's Talent will likely be modest - but one's ambitions should be lofty! snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Old Fartbag, hahaha quite!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
At the risk of stating the obvious, it's a balancing act.

I ski for fun, and the slopes are a great excuse to spend quality time with my family.

Lessons are less fun than fee skiing, and the family time isn't as good. That suggests lessons are a Bad Thing.

But, after a lesson, skiing becomes more fun, as I can ski better and faster in more places. Which means lessons are a Good Thing.

And when I have lessons, I'm better able to keep up with my kids, so family skiing is more fun. This sounds like a Good Thing, but it triggers an arms race as my kids feel they ought to be faster than me so they then book lessons for themselves to stay ahead. This is a Bad Thing.

So, in my view, you will always need lessons, even as a once a year skier,, but most days on the slopes shouldn't be a lesson.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy