Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2019/20 (Useful Links Page 1)

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks for all the advice. Do both the free lifts in Lac serve the bottom of the Trolles piste? Bollin is definitely a good option, and we'd need to get the bus to get to Lac anyway, so it won't take much longer to reach Val Claret.

On the last day I think we'll ski through to 2ish (too late for a morning pass anyway), followed by a relaxed lunch in Les Boisses. We'll have had a week skiing, so I'm not too worried about one more hour, and definitely don't want to find myself at the bottom of a closed Tommeuses working out the best way to get back in time for the transfer.

Has anyone rented equipment from Melezes or know if what they have is any good?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
thelem wrote:

Has anyone rented equipment from Melezes or know if what they have is any good?

I stayed at Melezes a lot before getting my place.

Their rental kit was limited choice but of good standard and good condition.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Another heavy fall on Sunday? But where will the snow/rain level be - looks about Le Lac level so if snow probably very wet? Then a warm period for a few days. Then getting colder and possibly very snowy towards opening weekend.
chocksaway - what is the informed view?
Still looks like a great start for the higher slopes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Do both the free lifts in Lac serve the bottom of the Trolles piste?

Rosset does, but as it is a beginner area is separated from the Trolles piste.

On the other side of the valley, Almes is a longer free lift, just to the RHS of Palafour if you were queuing. Quite boring tbh. Although amusingly, if you go the wrong way off this one, and straight down you can be on an unpisted bit or the bottom of the Ouliett black. A year or so back, when the snow was epic and nothing was open (except the free lifts) a few beginners got caught out in chest deep snow on this one - there were a lot of "WTF, this is a beginner slope??" looks Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well it's all a bit windy this morning, but Tufs and Tov are open
The weather seems to be following my musings from the other day, so lots of snow but with a snowline of 1900m it is going to get slushynin the villages below Lac. The Italians are now talking about a retour d'est so could be lots of snow for Fornet.

@Timlongs tells me the locals are talking of a foehn so could lose more snow lower down.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
chocksaway wrote:
Well it's all a bit windy this morning, but Tufs and Tov are open
The weather seems to be following my musings from the other day, so lots of snow but with a snowline of 1900m it is going to get slushynin the villages below Lac. The Italians are now talking about a retour d'est so could be lots of snow for Fornet.

@Timlongs tells me the locals are talking of a foehn so could lose more snow lower down.

For the weather virgins among us Very Happy can you do a wee explanation of Retour d'est and Foehn and what it means in Tignes ?

Merci !
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A Foehn wind is a warm wind, not good for the snow in a ski resort.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@GreenDay, I think it's in last year's, or maybe sometime ago but here goes:

The classic Retour D'est is formed by a wind blowing down the Rhone which then sets up a mini depression in the Gulf of Genoa which develop active weather fronts. The depression then gets trapped in The Gulf and as winds circulate in an anti clockwise direction we end up with an easterly wind. As the moisture picked up from the Med cools it falls as snow in Italy. As the weather systems aren't that big they don't get far over the Italian border as they get trapped by the high ridges. So with an intense one you can get a metre of snow in Fornet 80cm in Val, 60 in Tignes and nowt in Les Arcs. It is also known as the Galise in Val after the mountain it comes over. The term has become a little watered down and is often used for any easterly.

Similarly, foehn is often used for any warm wind. But the classic foehn effect is caused by, standby for science, the difference between the dry and saturated adiabatic lapse rates. Saturated air cools at about half the rate as dry air as that packet of air rises. So imagine a weather system being blown towards an extensive ridge line. The air rises and cools and eventually it cools below the dew point where it can no longer hold all the water. So it rains!. The packet of air has lost water so as it descends at the other side of the ridge it warms up at a higher rate as it is drier. Hence the temperature rises. And bugs the snow up and increases the avi risk! It can be quite dramatic with really high ridges in summer.

Here ended the first lesson!

@GreenDay, I'll claim my beer when you arrive Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@chocksaway, Cheers, I think that covers it !!

And, yes - we are staying near your fave French watering hole in Jan, so visits will be more frequent - A beer will deffo be coming your way Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@GreenDay, Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@GreenDay, @chocksaway, https://www.facebook.com/pisteurval/videos/435927623993092/

Looks like the "retour" has arrived. snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Looking at the Weather thread and all the various sites the Foehn seems to last from some time tomorrow until Weds. It then cools down somewhat towards opening weekend with further snow.
Suspect no skiing under Tignes 1800 for the foreseeable (looks like sleet there). There must be plenty on the slopes now above LL/VC to keep everyone Very Happy next week.
Looks like a big fall in resort today.
8 days and counting for me
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Local agent reports 50 cm fallen in Val Claret today and tonight. snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@chocksaway, the kind of local agent we need everywhere. Well danced. snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The official score was 40cm in the village and 50 on high. Now why did they put all the new snow cannons in? Very Happy
ski holidays
https://snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/42402/title/img-20191124-wa0000/cat/500

Some more shovelling to do by local agents!

Tried to upload photo link on my phone, clearly it doesn,'t embed them!
latest report
Arriving next Sunday I think. May come a bit earlier if we can get all the jobs done before we pack the car up. So looking forward to it.
snow report
@lynnecha, the North face of rue de la poste might be a bit whiter than normal. Still got your snow tyres? Laughing
ski holidays
The cover at Les Brev destroyed by the rain sadly but the extra snow at and above LL/VC level is a good trade off me thinks
latest report
Mark1863 wrote:

Suspect no skiing under Tignes 1800 for the foreseeable (looks like sleet there). There must be plenty on the slopes now above LL/VC to keep everyone Very Happy next week.

As the runs down to Boisses & Brevieres don' t usually open until nearer Xmas this won't be an issue. snowHead
snow report
Some very decent depth at fornet being posted by the val pisteurs on Facebook
latest report
Can you not ski down to le Boisses 1800 then with the new snow? Staying in a chalet there on Saturday. Do we have to get a bus up then on the 30th? Thought it would be open then before Xmas.
ski holidays
simonsaysowot wrote:
Can you not ski down to le Boisses 1800 then with the new snow? Staying in a chalet there on Saturday. Do we have to get a bus up then on the 30th? Thought it would be open then before Xmas.

You need Chaudannes lift to be running in order to get to the start point to ski down to Boisses 1800. It didn't start till Thursday 13th Dec last year, and there was enough snow. Ypu also need the Gondola and Aguille Rouge to be running to get from Boisses to Le Lac. You'll be in the best place to tell us when these open/ My gut feeling is it won't be till the week before Christmas, in which case you'll be getting the bus up from Boisses in the morning, and back to Boisses in the evening. That;s assuming the bus is running - I can't find when it starts.
snow conditions
That doesn’t sound great. Hopefully the chalet might have a minibus. It’s Snow Chateaux and the chalet is Alpinium 1. Anyone stayed there please and know any info? It says ski to door and short walk to piste and lift at start of season so thought it would be virtually ski in and out.
snow report
@simonsaysowot, @Judwin,
Quote:

you'll be getting the bus up from Boisses in the morning, and back to Boisses in the evening. That;s assuming the bus is running - I can't find when it starts.

The Les Boisses buses are running then but only 2 each way per day....

https://en.tignes.net/holidays/getting-around/free-shuttles
snow conditions
Thanks for help guys. A bus twice a day isn’t great. Thought when we booked it was ski in and out in effect with a bit of a walk etc. A bus at 8/9am and 4/5pm doesn’t sound great.
snow report
I would have a word with Snow Chateau and express your disappointment with this. Might be worth asking if they can move you to Lac, if they do not provide a minibus.

Many of the operators in Brev do this. These timings on openings are roughly the same every year.

Sometimes Chaudannes does open before the Gondola from Boisses to servevpistes back to Lac but using it to get to Boisses would mean skiing under off piste conditions.
latest report
Quote:

under off piste conditions

.....and hence, depending on your insurance cover, skiing potentially uninsured.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mountainaddict, is Bollin definitely free? we also arrive at the resort early and our apartment is right by the Bollin so could use to ease the kids into skiing on the first afternoon.. and maybe the last morning
ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
There are a couple of lifts in Lac which are free and offer a reasonable ski to get the legs in (compared with a snow dome!).
Or...get the free bus up to the last stop at Val Claret (Grande Motte) and ski the adjacent FREE fast Bollin Chair until it closes at 16.45. Pretty decent run - steep(ish!) at the top and definitely worth skiing on arrival day.
As Chocksaway has said, definitely better than an indoor fridge - and a bar at the bottom too. What's not to like?? Very Happy
Quote:
At the other end their late transfer leaves 16:00, which allows a good morning of skiing
Er, allows a full day to 15.30 surely?? wink

Is Bollin definitely free?
ski holidays
@Bella2015,
Bollin has been free for many years. Assume will be. Send an email to STGM if you require final conformation.
The first pitch off the lift is a little steeper. If they are nervous/inexperienced go skiers left where slope a little less pronounced.
snow conditions
@Bella2015, Bollin is 100% the free lift in VC.
snow report
A third vote for Bollin definitely being a freebie lift Bella2015 Very Happy. It serves a nice blue run and a very gentle green which is well away from the main blue. A restaurant at the top for warming hot choc for the kids too - the job's a good 'un wink
snow report
Just make sure you join the bollin queue and not the fresse queue it’s a combined lift (only in France!)
snow report
snowornever wrote:
Just make sure you join the bollin queue and not the fresse queue it’s a combined lift (only in France!)

I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t be able to get on that lift by mistake anyway as the gate for that lift wouldn’t let you through without a valid lift pass
ski holidays
The Bollin and Col de Fresse lifts can be confusing because they are right next to each other and the 2 chairlifts use the same cable

The Bollin lift queue is on the righthand side.
snow conditions
Just look up. One side says BOLLIN above it, the other says FRESSE.
latest report
But they do have a picture at the top of Bollin to explain to Muppets why they are not at the top of the ridge. Last year I was behind a Russian, wife and daughter who were screaming at the Lifty that they wanted to go to the top. They did not even take the hint when their skis slid onto the unloading ramp. So the lift had to stop, there had to be a huge showdown in front of the wife, the lady lifty was the doyenne of politeness and showed Mr Arrogant the picture as to where he had gone wrong. I suppose it didn't help that we were barely able to get off the chair for laughing at him.
latest report
snowornever wrote:

That's one of things I like about France, they do it their way which is to be applauded I feel.

We also do that with splitting trains front to rear too, funny to see the panic when someone realises they're heading off in wrong direction after not taking opportunity to check.
snow report
https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/11/fc/95/21/bollin-and-fresse-chair.jpg
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy