Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resorts of the Sella Ronda (1/2 term 2007)

Poster: A snowHead
richjp, well that will certainly be a big improvement since that was one of the worts bits of the Sella Ronda route.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
richjp wrote:

I was very impressed at the number of new lifts actually being built at that time which looked as though they would be ready for this season, a couple of new bridges put in to take pistes over the main road and new snow making equipment.

Interesting.

Bridges over the main road in Arabba? does this mean no more walking across town then?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I want to go now Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ian Hopkinson, what's stopping you??? It's open until the Tuesday after Easter!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CP, nope - I didn't notice any new bridges this time compared to the previous time? Maybe they were just renovating them?

You still have to walk the 3-5 minutes from the one side of Arabba to the other side to make the link. The difference is they now have a travelator and escalators up into the cable car station, so there is no walking up and down hills and climbing the equivalent of 2 flights of stairs!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
CP,

I was referring to bridges much further up the pass.

Sorry!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
tessaventer, I am going to VT on the 15th... snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
richjp wrote:
CP,

I was referring to bridges much further up the pass.

Sorry!

No probs - I was having trouble with the mental image of a bridge connecting one side of the village to the other. A lift would be more appropriate, which I guess is what that have tried to achieve in part with the travelators.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've found my current shortlist:

Hotel Pralong or Hotel Linder in Selva
Hotel Olympia in Arabba
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ian Hopkinson, if I recall correctly, Hotel Olympia have a boot storage room right next to the Burtz chairlift (the lifts at the bottom of the nursery slope rising out of Arabba in the anti-clockwise Sella Ronda direction) and a few minutes walk from the Portavescova lifts across the road.

I'm sure I am right because I have often looked on jealously at people emerging geared up right on the slopes Evil or Very Mad

I think the hotel is raised above Arabba slightly with a panoramic view across to the Portavescova slopes. Slightly further than the rest - but assuming walking in 'comfortable' shoes given their locker room is right at the lifts, I imagine it is still only 5-10 minutes. Arabba really isn't big!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ian Hopkinson wrote:
I've found my current shortlist:

Hotel Pralong or Hotel Linder in Selva
Hotel Olympia in Arabba

I have found that Selva and Arabba are very very different in ambiance. Arabba has it and is quite Italian and is small. Selva does not have much, is quite Germanic and is large.

If you need nightlife then don't select Arabba. If you are happy with a quieter village a few bars and restaurants then Arabba will fit the bill.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quick question on Inghams.

Does the panel know if they offer a ski host service and if so are there any age restrictions like Mark Warner have ( no children under 12 allowed in host groups irrespective of ability and an accompanying parent)?

I have tried searching their on line brochure but have failed to find any reference to hosting services.

TIA.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CP, we've been with Inghams to a number of places and I don't think anywhere did they offer ski hosting - which I interpret to mean "showing you around".
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ian Hopkinson wrote:
CP, we've been with Inghams to a number of places and I don't think anywhere did they offer ski hosting - which I interpret to mean "showing you around".

I believe this is quite strictly controlled in some countries, but in Italy TO's can still 'guide'. Neilson definitely offered 2 days of guiding using their own 'non-local' reps. On the 1st day they offered a morning tour of the local Arabba slopes, and a few days later took a group round the Sella Ronda. I'd imagine Inghams could well have done the same thing?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
agavin, possibly - we've been to France, Austria and Switzerland with Inghams but not Italy. Personally I find checking with the snowHeads before I go the best bet! BTW - thanks for the addition to the Resort Reports - it made very interesting reading and I'll add it to the index shortly.
snow report
I just persuaded Mrs CP that we could all go and stay in the Evaldo with Inghams. Mrs CP does not ski as the result of a real bad broken leg a few years ago, but she likes the mountains and will come with SP and I if there is a hotel with 'facilities' - pool, sauna, fitness room ( aka good restaurant ) etc.

So strike while the iron is hot and try to book on-line - no chance, reservation system is down - I bet when I try again there will be no availabilty Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
CP, that's unlucky - I booked our summer holiday about an hour ago through the Ingham's site wink
ski holidays
Feeling better now - just tried to book again and it worked. Hotel Evaldo on 17th February 2007 with an afternoon departure time from LGW so no 3am alarm call required snowHead

Now I must get on with todays adventure - off to Stoke on Trent to pick up our narrowboat ( well 1/12th share ) for a week. Heading up to the Macclesfield and Peak Forest Canals.
latest report
[ Hotel Olympia have a boot storage room right next to the Burtz chairlift (the lifts at the bottom of the nursery slope
I think the hotel is raised above Arabba slightly with a panoramic view across to the Portavescova slopes. Slightly further than the rest - but assuming walking in 'comfortable' shoes given their locker room is right at the lifts, I imagine it is still only 5-10 minutes. Arabba really isn't big![/quote]

We stayed at Olympia in January 05
I'm thinking of going again will try and book late when I know they have had a dump of snow
Ski room is less than 5 mins walk and most of the time hotel owner was about and would give us a lift, ski room was well equipped
Would agree with most of what’s been said already regarding the skiing. Marmalada was our fall back if the snow had been poor low down but there was sone great runs on it
Some of the low resorts were a bit short of snow off the runs but they were keeping the runs topped up with snow cannons and were better to ski on than I had expected
Runs were quiet but from what I was told I would avoid christmas and new year if you can as it seemed to have been very crowded then
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy