Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resorts of the Sella Ronda (1/2 term 2007)

Poster: A snowHead
Mrs H and I are thinking of staying somewhere on the Sella Ronda half term 2007. We'd prefer to stay somewhere which is walking rather than ski bus to the first uplift.

Are there half term crowds to worry about?

Any thoughts on good places to stay?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ian Hopkinson,

Don't know, but I await with interest as I've always fancied a trip
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Stayed in Canazei early January this year about 200 metres from the lift (Thomsons chalet Rigoletto). Thought it was a great resort, though for some reason Brits seem to stay away. Enormous skiing area and wonderful scenery. Not sure about half term conditions though. I'd certainly go back again Very Happy .
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ian Hopkinson,

I was there in February this year and stayed in the Hotel Pineta in Selva - about 10 - 15 minute walk from the main Ciampinoi lift. Hotel was absolutely superb, food great. We have just booked to go back to the same next year. Hotel Pineta is a First Choice hotel. www.firstchoice.co.uk/ski

We absolutely loved the Sella Ronda area.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My trip this year to Sellaronda was in the first week of March. Crowd in Sellaronda is nothing to write home about when comparing with the French resorts. Even the main Sellaronda ring, which is the busiest part, is pleasantly acceptable, say average 15 min. at the couple of bad spots. Elsewhere I wouldn't use the word crowdy at all.

It is a 510km skiing domain, joined by the 4 regions of Selva Gardena, Alta Badia, Arraba and Canazei at the 4 corners to form a 40km long hub called Sellaronda. It is very difficult to get crowdy because the ring can be skied in both directions and most skiers have plenty to occupy inside their own resorts.

We stayed in Santa Cristina which has its own huge skiing areas downhill to Ortisei and uphill by one chairlift to Selva. To have the minimum walking distance to chairlifts then staying in any of the 4 corners of Sellaronda is the best way and that is just to have the quickest start if one attempts the Sellaronda circuit.

All 4 corners have their sizeable skiing areas but Selva is the largest followed by Alta Badia (Corvara).

My 5-day trip to Sellaronda was the best skiing experience we had but that could be due to sunny weather all the time, lack of crowd and plenty of snow.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ian Hopkinson wrote:
Mrs H and I are thinking of staying somewhere on the Sella Ronda half term 2007. We'd prefer to stay somewhere which is walking rather than ski bus to the first uplift.

Are there half term crowds to worry about?

Any thoughts on good places to stay?

Good topic I have been thinking the very same for us next February. Having been to Arabba a good few times in the past I will be looking here as our base. Providing you stay in the main village area ( shich is not very big ) you will only be a short walk from the lifts either side of the village.

Not sure about half term crowds, but is surely can't be as bad as some of the French ski resorts.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the comments so far - keep 'em coming! I'd noticed around the site that there's very little discussion of any of the Italian resorts...

Is the restriction to short walk to lift onerous?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ian Hopkinson, I am a great fan of Arabba having been there 3 times (most recently 3 weeks ago - resort writeup still outstanding).

Arabba is small, and you will probably never be more than a 5-10minute walk to any one of the 2 lift departure points. The only thing to 'beware of', is that there is a newer area of Arabba developed slightly uphill which does not increase the distance, but can make things a little more tricky if the surfaces are icy. (Although, I have noticed, most properties seem to back onto the piste there and most people just go out the back and ski the short distance down to the lifts).

Have been 2x in half term, and never had any problems with lifts - except maybe on a Saturday/Sunday when things are particularly busy. In fact, this season, a bottleneck which used to be a chair up from San Cassiano was almost non-existent with a new gondola there. The lfit system is now good and I don't remember ever waiting except for cable cars and only used a drag lift 3 times the entire week!

Arabba is a good base as you have the steepest piste skiing (Porta Vescova) in a predominantly intermediate area, links to the Sella Ronda in both directions and the link to the Marmolada glacier which is impressive on a good day.

Corvara is a fun resort, but is situated in the centre of 'blue land' and if you are not careful can end up feeling like you have spent a large portion of your day polling! Canazei has never struck me as great for convenience compared to Arabba where you can be skiing back down from wherever to within a few minutes walk of your accommodation. The only other option I would consider would be Selva, but then again its local runs also tend to be the busiest (Its larger than Arabba) and I don't think its local runs have much of a vertical if I remember last time I checked. From Arabba, you can be in Selva within a 1.5-2 hours ski anyway. But the Marmolada is recommended (I had not done it on either of my prior trips and ended up doing it 2 days in a row this last time) - and this is best accessed from Arabba.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ian Hopkinson, Ooops, in terms of accommodation recommendations. 2x we have stayed in Neilson chalets (both good for different reasosn) - and once independently in a little 3 star called the Genziana which was great for good food and appeared to have been recently renovated.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
agavin, Is that T Bar still there that gets you back from Plan Boe to the top of the chair lift at Bec De Roces. I remember it used to encourage a very large queue from mid afternoon onwards most days.

Where did you stay? TO or direct?

Thanks
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
CP, yes it is ... a T-Bar and button lift in parallel from Passo Campolongo to the top of Bec de Roces. To be perfectly honest, I used it 2x the entire week and never encountered any queues at it ... or in the past ... and its not that long and quite gentle. At least they replaced the very LOOOONG one from Lz Vizza up to Cherz a few years ago, because that went on FOREVER! (I walked most of it once Embarassed ) I'd imagine that the T-bar/button up to Bec de Roces must be up for replacement, because it is the only significant drag left?

We have been 2 times with Neilson (2 different chalets), and 1x independently and stayed at the hotel Genziana independently which was a good modern 3 star with good Italian food. Preferred independent due to the shorter transfer by flying to Venice as opposed to the 3.5 hour drag Neilson turn it into from Verona! Can give more info on chalets if you need.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
agavin, I used to go with Ski Beach Villas and stay in their chalets until Neilson took them over and ruined it. Staff attitude, ability, quality etc etc was chalk and cheese.

So you fly to Venice and hire a car or is there a bus/coach service?

Hire car would actually be quite handy for getting over to Cortina for a day, with a quick ski at Cinque Torre on the way, I guess.

Are you going next year or trying somewhere else?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CP, I know there are airport transfers available - but it is obviously restrictive as there is only 1 or 2 a week (last time I looked into it). I think there is a link on the www.arabba.it website.

Cannot comment on Ski Beach Villas but Nelison were OK, but nothing more. Went with a large group most recently, so that always changes the way you view your accommodation, food etc. Hotel was definitely better as all Italian/Tirol food.

As for next year, that is all up in the air still as agavin junior arrives in August ...

We normally get 2-3 trips in a year, but I suspect that may change. Assuming we can make a plan for a single trip next year, I suspect that I would like to try somewhere different rather than spending my 1 week somewhere I have been 3 times before.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I second everything agavin, said about Arabba, it has an area of its own large enough for a good holiday even without the Sella Ronda. It is certainly the best place for skiers wanting some challenge.
The slopes are also North facing and have held up much better than those at nearby Cortina (I was as both places a week or so ago and the snow was much better at Arabba than the SCGB figures suggested).

There is a bus on Saturdays only which will take you to the hotels, and otherwise a taxi is best (Train and bus are a very, very badly co-ordinated and time consuming). The journey is about 2 hours each way. We booked Taxi Pedi - mobile 0039 335 8229337 fax 0039 0437 527175. He speaks little English but his wife speaks more. He charged 5 of us with skis 230 Euros one way. However if you only need a car you could ask the Tourist office about others.
The Arabba website is http://www.arabba.it/arrivare-e.ht
Beware that many of the Hotels are outside Arabba (which is very small). They may, however be cheaper and have their own free minibus to take you to and from the slopes - as for example Cesa Padon (45 Euros per night each, with fabulous views and very nice - but nearly 15mins from the slopes).

An interesting fact about the Dolomites is that they have amazing off-piste possibilities which are almost unskied, including many extremely long, steep couloirs between the rock pinnacles. (Sorry, I know I put cedric's photo from our holiday on another thread, but here it is again. About 300metres but there were longer, steeper ones we didn't do this time.
Of course you need a guide for this. The mountains are absolutely breathtaking - perhaps the best views I have ever seen.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 4-04-06 15:56; edited 7 times in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This will be our first time in Italy, so we're a bit reluctant to do it DIY...

I get the impression that the lift system is a match for any of the big French domains, is that fair comment?
snow report
In that case, Ian Hopkinson, everything should be easy, though I don't know which companies do Arabba.
Yes, certainly the Sella Ronda and the majestic Marmolada (accessed from Arabba) make up a huge area with a modern lift system.
snow conditions
Ian Hopkinson wrote:
This will be our first time in Italy, so we're a bit reluctant to do it DIY...

This was our first DIY trip which gave us the courage to do more. Couldn't have been simpler. I had booked leave for the following week and we were hoping that we would get a good last minute deal. At 4 pm on the Saturday we realised that was not going to happen, so checked queasy jet for flights to Venice - then phoned the Arabba tourist board and asked for hotel availability which they were really helpful with. Phoned the hotel Genziana and made a reservation. Booked queasyjet. Booked car online and within an hour we had everything sorted bar packing and getting to Stansted within the next 12 hours for a 7:00am flight on Sunday morning! Cool. Went to the lift pass office first thing and bought the pass. QED.

Quote:
I get the impression that the lift system is a match for any of the big French domains, is that fair comment?

I don't really know the French mega-resorts, but a lot of the party we were with this time were really impressed by the lifts and lack of queues or crowds. There are very few drags left anywhere in the area - and most of them can be avoided if need be. Lots of new lifts over the past 4 years. Some older chairs, but they seem to move people quickly. Also this season was the first with the new hands free pass which you can go onto their website with and enter your pass number, and they give you a graph showing the lifts caught each day, altitude ascended and descended and estimated distance covered on skis. Fun for those who want a record of their week - and probably keeps queues moving faster now too.
snow report
snowball, like your description of the Marmolada as 'majestic'. Being the highest peak there, it is simply awesome to see all the surrounding peaks below you. Cannot believe I only went there on the 3rd trip to Arabba - but made up for it with 2 mornings in a row.
ski holidays
snowball wrote:
In that case, Ian Hopkinson, everything should be easy, though I don't know which companies do Arabba.

Neilson Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
CP, Neilson weren't that bad! Some friends who went recently went with Inghams. They tried to get into the Sport Hotel (which I think is quite good!) but was full, and ended up in Passo Compolonga which is outside Arabba - so just beware of where Inghams accommodation may be located.
ski holidays
agavin, Our guide took us 5 completely different routes down the Marmolada glacier all the way down to the valley bottom, between different rock-ridges. A very memorable day.
I didn't know about the graph on the website - what fun!
The hotels are all on the website if you want to have a look.
Ryanair do Treviso (Just north of Venice) which is slightly closer.
However watch out for the tiny weight allowance. which is only 15kg. However hand luggage can be 10kg. Officially you cannot take boots as hand luggage (they specify size to exclude a boot bag) However you can fit them in a rucksack one inverted over the other and in my experience this is not questioned.
Skis should be booked on in advance (I think it was £15 each way) but you can use a double bag with 2 sets of skis, or skis and boots, for the same price.
snow report
agavin, They were when they took over from Ski Beach Villas - it was the last year that I went there. But I will concede that they could have improved and it was down to the resort staff at the time.

This time I will book direct if we do decide that Arabba is the place for us next February, unless using a TO is more cost effective of course. Do Inghams go there as well or are they all part of Neilson these days anyway?

The Sport Hotel is a bit upmarket for me, but I am tempted by the Porta Vescova as it has a swimming allegedly. However this is looking a tad on the dear side as well Shocked
ski holidays
CP, I think Neilson is now part of Thomas Cook - not sure which other TOs are.

When we did our last minute independent trip to Arabba, we equalled the TOs prices for half-term. But given we booked queasyjet flights the day before, we could have saved a lot if we had booked in advance! You can see the hotel we used at http://www.genziana.it/inglese/hotel.htm. Not really sure how this will compare to TOs prices? The nice thing about Inghams, is that I see they fly to Bolzano which is really close by!

I see that Inghams also offer apartments. There is a decent supermarket in Arabba and a couple of quite nice restaurants so this could be a real option too. Our group eat at various of them for lunch and dinner on the chalet staffs night off, and everybody was impressed with what they got for what they paid, so self catering is very possible. If you dig through the brochure avaiable for download on the Arabba tourism website, there is a list of a hotels for download in PDF format. Quite a few of them also offer apartments elsewhere in the town which may be a cheaper option.

Certainly both this year and 2 years ago when we were last there, the hotels (like the sport) which has a 'wellness centre' allowed anybody in resort to pay to use their facilities (about 12 euros), so you can still get to use the more upmarket hotels facilities even if you are not staying there.

Independent travel is an interesting beast. It is so hard to work out if you will or won't beat the TOs prices.
snow conditions
Ian Hopkinson, how short a walk do you want ... how about slopeside accommodation?! Hotel Arlara in Corvara - very 'blue' resort but lots of reds either side, about 1/2 mile walk down into town but right on the piste. Have stayed there twice, always loved it and would definitely return. Both times we have been the only Brits staying there - mostly Italians, Dutch, German. They have their own website (but can't remember for the moment what it is .. just search).

Corvara is, I think, the most convenient resort for the Sella Ronda and neighbouring villages as you have not only Arabba and Selva on your doorstep (the most interesting skiing) but also you can ski to La Villa, San Cassiano, Pedraces, Santa Croce and Armentarola (for the Hidden Valley connection - a must) over the back. Santa Croce has a tiny church and former monastery at the top - great for lunch. Cortina is also easily reachable for a day's visit by car or taxi.

Have a great time!
ski holidays
Ian Hopkinson,

I have been to many French resorts and can testify in any court that Sellaronda is equally good if not better. I would mark Sellaronda having the upper hand because many lifts have been replaced recently. The underground funicular at Santa Cristina and the tunnel system from the Ortise town centre to the cable car station are airport-like. I too was surprised by its vast and modern infrastructure.

If one has an access to a car then staying away from the resorts can be cost-effective. We paid 29 Euro per night per head of B&B in accommodation 1 mile off Sant Cristina, 2 miles off Ortisei and 3 miles off Selva. The car enabed us to go to different parts of the resort each day. Main car parks close to main lifts chrage parking fee like 7 Euro per day and you walk only a few minutes to the lift station. Car parks off the main lifts are free, equally quick to chairlifts but take time to ski to join the Sellaronda circuit.

It appears to me that the long transfer could make this resort less popular with UK skiers. Being in the heart of Italy there are also less rowdy drinking places than the French equivalents.
ski holidays
saikee, you are dead right about the transfer. The first time we hired a car, took us 5 hours from Verona (but that was because it was snowing really hard and we had to put on snowchains, always a potential problem if going to Corvara as you have to drive over the Sella pass. I think normal transfer time by car would be about 3 hours. The second time it took us 3 hours by shared taxi (about E70 each with 6 passengers). But I think its worth it, and can second other comments here about not being busy and queues almost non-existent.

I understand there is an Inghams charter flight to Bolzano this year which would definitely cut down the transfer time to about one and half hours.

Easily as much skiing as most French resorts - we seldom skiied the same run in a week, apart from very local runs - but not the steepness of gradient - a blue in France or Switzerland is mostly a red in Italy.
snow conditions
Good grief guys ( and gals ) the last time SP and I did a TO trip at Feb half term it took nearly 5 hours to get from Lyon to La Rosiere, a 3 hour trip would be luxury at that time of year!!

We used to fly into Treviso for Arabba which was about a 2.5 hour transfer IIRC - do any TO's use this airport still instead of Verona or Venice?

Inghams are sounding like a good bet with the short transfer from Bolzano.

Game on I believe
snow conditions
We're hpoing to take advantage of the Inghams - Bolzano transfer...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just had a look at the transfer on Inghams site, LGW is a 17:00 departure, so one would not get into resort until well late at night - mind you that may be better than the 5:00am Gatwick checkins we have had of late snowHead
snow report
We DIY rented an appartment in Canazei over Christmas. It was about 300m from the gondola. We really liked the village, few Brits, very friendly and relaxed. We will definately go back there again.
ski holidays
CP, we'd be flying from Birmingham or Manchester...
ski holidays
tessaventer, I was waiting for you to arrive and put in a word for Corvara Laughing

I would definitely get bored around there despite it having a very different skiing 'character'. This last time (3rd trip to the area), I restricted skiing that sector (much to the wifes dismay as she likes it too) to the day we did hidden valley and the ladies slalom at La Villa. Too many 'nasty' runs in the Alta Badia area where you can end up polling rolling eyes

Ian Hopkinson, the friends I mentioned earlier flew to Bolzano from Heathrow. Sounds like they had sensible departure times too. Of course this years arrangements are no gurantee of next years blah blah blah.
ski holidays
Transfer by taxi from Treviso to our hotel - a bit over 2 hours. To Arabba Village - less than 2 1/2 hours.
We did a 6.30am flight and skied from 1.00 to the end of the day.
ski holidays
Thanks for all the comments! We've got a shortlist of places with Inghams...which I've forgotten rolling eyes Now I've got prematurely excited about a holiday nearly a year hence snowHead
snow conditions
Ian Hopkinson wrote:
Thanks for all the comments! We've got a shortlist of places with Inghams...which I've forgotten rolling eyes Now I've got prematurely excited about a holiday nearly a year hence snowHead
And you have started me off already too snowHead
ski holidays
agavin, you can avoid the poling in Corvara if you know which runs not to ski!! (with the exception of the link to Selva which I agree is a pain, but not very far). I agree the area is not exciting in itself, but just very convenient for everywhere else.
latest report
tessaventer, Do they still have T dancing at the big hotel ( Posta Zirm?? ) in Corvara?
snow report
CP, Yes they do, very 1970's.
latest report
I only skied the Dolomites once many years ago however I stayed in Arabba on a walking holiday last summer.

I was very impressed at the number of new lifts actually being built at that time which looked as though they would be ready for this season, a couple of new bridges put in to take pistes over the main road and new snow making equipment. They really do seem to have got their act together with upgrading the infrastructure.
snow report
tessaventer, mmmm ... I wasn't planning on skiing 'blue-land' until I had figured out what was 'safe' to ski and what not.

I really love that womens Slalom course at La Villa. A few steepish sections, tree lined, some tight bends - a little bit of everything. 3 Weeks ago when we did it, it had been snowing all morning, and had nice big powder moguls everywhere combined with hard-pack and even the occasional spot of scraped bare blue ice in between. I loved the varied conditions - but the borders with me hated the ice and moguls Twisted Evil (... and then they complain that piste skiing isn't challenging enough and only want to go off-piste rolling eyes )
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy